Lovers of St Petersburg - can you help...

Hi,

I have a request that I hope you can help out with. I will be travelling with my elderly parents on a cruise of the Baltics and St Petersburg and we are really looking forward to this trip. I am looking into excursions in St Petersburg. We would ideally like to do a full day’s outing, but sometimes Mum has tummy problems in the morning and we think it be a safer approach to book 2 ½ day excursions. The thinking being that if she needed some downtime in the morning she could join up with us in the afternoon, while we could still do a morning out. However, when we look at the RCI excursions their full day offerings seem better, and we are having problems deciding on the best 2 ½ day trips. I have looked into private trips, but for a group of three, this is double the price and cost prohibitive. My folks have no mobility issues, TG, although they have slowed down as they are in their mid 70’s.

These are our options, I have listed the +ve’s and –ve‘s as I see them. I would appreciate if you CC members could share your insights and experiences as well.

Pushkin(Catherine Palace) +ve :, highly recommended as a must see and possible to combine with an afternoon tour

-ve: The guideline indicates that this is a strenuous tour, but also says that guest must be able to walk 0.5 miles over gravel paths and approx 45 steps. That shouldn’t be a problem, but would like some feedback if possible on others experiences. Early start at 7.30 am

Panoramic St Petersburg Highlights

+ve: This can be done as a morning or afternoon tour. It appears similar to HOHO bus tour in other cities but without the option to get off... Sights include the Winter Palace, the Admiralty, the Cruiser Aurora, Field of Mars, Nevy Prospect and St Isaac’s cathedral.

-ve: Will not visit any of the sights

Hermitage Museum

+ve Recommended as a ‘must see’, morning and afternoon tour on offer

-ve no air conditioning. We will be travelling in August, could this be a problem ? and limited seating

River Canals w Yussupov Palace – afternoon only

+ve Palace tour combined with canal cruise passing embankments, palaces, theatres, museums including St Isaacs cathedral, the Moika, Stroganov Palace, cruise under choir bridge.

-ve Don’t know much about this palace compared to the others, is it worth seeing?

From the above, I would be interested in which two (and why) would be your choices for a morning and afternoon trip and also any additional considerations I should take into account.

Thanks in advance....

you say you have looked into private tours and dismissed as too expensive-yes for 3 it would

Thats why most people who seek advice on these boards are directed towards the roll call for their ship sailing where they can find other people looking to share a tour

you end up with a much smaller group than a ships tour and usually works out much less

more to the point you can dictate the tour you want rather than trying to work out which set ship offering is the best compromise

St Petersberg is worth a bit of research to figure out what you really want to experience

Hi!

Which Brilliance sailing in August are you on? I assume when you say you're looking at the RCI excursions and you're sailing in August, you must be on Brilliance.

Both Brilliance sailings have a Roll Call.

The August 4th sailing is here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1600641

And the August 18th sailing is here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1596049

I'm on the August 18th sailing and I know there are people on this sailing looking for another party to join them in a private tour. There's already one private tour with 13 passengers established. The August 4th sailing looks like they are also looking for others to join a private tour that they've just formed.

So that's an option.

If you are really looking at ships tours, you have to decide what is most important to you to see in St. Petersburg. St. Petersburg is a large city with many, many things to see. It might help you seached the internet or get some guide books of St. Petersburg, looked at the various options and made a list of the things that interested yourself and your parents the most.

Most people visiting St. Petersburg feel that the Hermitage is a must. It's basically the Winter Palace turned into the world's greatest art museum. There's soooo many priceless pieces of art that what you see in the buildings is only 5% of their entire collection. There are some truly famous and fantastic pieces of art there, if you like that stuff. But yes, it is August, it can be hot, it will be crowded since everyone goes there. So, if you don't like crowds, you might not enjoy this. It depends on your tastes.

Catherine's Palace is outside of town. With St. Petersburg traffic, it can take an hour, or more, to just reach it. The palace itself is extensive with lots of walking. Lots to see inside the grand palace, lots of oppulence and art. And then there's the gardens. It really can turn into a lot of walking. Not sure if I'd call it strenuous though.

The highlights tour will probably be a nice driving tour through most of the city so you can see the sights, its a shame that you don't stop though. But it gives you an overview of what's in St. Petersburg. It's probably a good introductory tour.

As for Yusupov's Palace - it's the sight of murder and intrigue. It's where Rasputin was murdered. The Palace is intersting. There's wax figures as you walk through the rooms to help show and highlight what happened that infamous night. The Palace is right on the banks of the river, so combining it with a canal cruise would seem logical. Personally, of the things I've done in St. Petersburg, Yusupov's wasn't my favorite, but I know a lot of people who lvoed it, so it's really all a matter of personal opinion.

you say you have looked into private tours and dismissed as too expensive-yes for 3 it would. Thats why most people who seek advice on these boards are directed towards the roll call for their ship sailing where they can find other people looking to share a tour. you end up with a much smaller group than a ships tour and usually works out much less. more to the point you can dictate the tour you want rather than trying to work out which set ship offering is the best compromise. St Petersberg is worth a bit of research to figure out what you really want to experience

Agree with most all of the wise points above by our UK friend. Doing only half-day ship tours wastes lots and lots of time in two ways. First, time going back to the ship docking location in big and busy St. Petersburg with its five million people. Second, a group of 30-45 people getting on and off of large buses and being slowed down to the speed of the least-fast person can test one's patience.

For a group of four over two days with private tours the costs are about equal to doing the cruise ship tours. And, more fun, time-efficient, custom to your needs, timing, etc. Work through your ship roll call and/or when you get on your ship to find another couple and things will work out so much better.

My top three must-sees would be the Hermitage, Peterhof with the great outdoor fountains and the interiors on the second floor of Catherine's Palace. Then, next would be the two major Cathedrals. The canal boat is nice as a resting and relaxing "break" during your day. Below are some of my "photo evidence" to prove why these options are so great. How often do you get to Russia? Do it "right" to allow the best way to see and experience these world-class sights and sites.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 79,039 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 68,975 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are some of the fountains and water at the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg. The greatest technological achievement of Peterhof is that all of the fountains operate without the use of pumps. Water is supplied from natural springs and collects in reservoirs in the Upper Gardens. This elevation difference creates the pressure driving most of the fountains for the Lower Gardens, including the Grand Cascade.:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

Here is an overall view of the size and scale of St. Isaac's interior in St. Petersburg. It is the largest Russian Orthodox cathedral in this historic city and was dedicated to Saint Isaac of Dalmatia, a patron saint of Peter the Great. The cathedral took 40 years to construct, 1818 to 1858, under direction of a French architect. During Soviet rule, it was nearly destroyed and was made into a Museum of Scientific Atheism. It has been restored to its religious beauty/role. The cathedral's main dome tops out at 333 feet and is plated with pure gold.:

1A-StP-StIsaacInt.jpg

Private, personal tours can be worth it, especially in St. Petersburg. Here our group of four, with our guide, Jane or Zhenya from Anastasia, we are viewing one of the two da Vinci masterpieces (Madonna Litta or Madonna and Child) at the Hermitage after an early admission. There are only 14 such painting by this artist existing in the world. We did an early admission at the Hermitage, adding to the enjoyment in this spectacular place AND museum. It is both!:

1A-StP-HermitageDaVinciViewing.jpg

Inside Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg with our personal guide, we view this spectacular reception room, painted ceiling, gold, etc., at our pace and timing schedule.:

A-StP-CathPal.jpg

Lots of beautiful church towers and buildings are located all over in historic St. Petersburg. Some “riding around time” allows an opportunity to see the variety of buildings in this historic capital.:

1A-StP-Ch.jpg

Here is a wider shot of the Spilled Blood Church interior in St. Petersburg. Its exterior design is more traditionally "Russian" or Orthodox than St. Isaac. Spilled Blood or the Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ was built on the site along a canal where Tsar Alexander II was assassinated in 1881 and its building was dedicated to his memory. Construction began in 1883 and was completed in 1907. This city's architecture is predominantly Baroque and Neoclassical, but this church harkens back to medieval Russian architecture in the spirit of St. Basil's Cathedral in Moscow. The Church contains over 7500 square metres of mosaics, among the most for any church in the world. It suffered much damage during the Russian Revolution and World War II, but was reopened in 1997, after 27 years of restoration. The results are beautiful!!:

1A-StP-SpilledBld.jpg

For a group of four over two days with private tours the costs are about equal to doing the cruise ship tours.

If I'm not mistaken, all of the RCI cruises in August in the Baltics are on Brilliance and they are only offering a 1 day stop over in St. Petersburg, rather than the normal 2 day stop.

Unfortunately, the price of a private tour on a 1 day trip to St. Petersburg is virtually the same as the price of a private tour on a 2 day trip. Not sure why the private tour operators are like this.

When I started out looking for a private tour for my upcoming 1 day in St. Petersburg, I couldn't believe the prices for 1 day. Advertised 2 day prices were less than the starting price for a 1 day tour. Anyhow, I knew I wanted to do a private tour (I've been to SPB before) and knew the benefits. I kept my fingers crossed that we could find others.

With the tour I designed, we started out as a party of 2 with a cost of $350 USD per person. However, through the RollCall, we're now up to a tour group of 13 people at a final cost of $190 per person. This tour includes city driving tour, early entrance to the grand palace at Peterhof, walk around the grounds to see the fountains at Peterhof, metro ride, canal boat tour, tour of the Hermitage, tour of Peter and Paul Fortress and is 12 hours long.

In contrats, the RCI offers the following ship tours:

*10 hour City Highlights with Pushkin for $169

*9 hour Grand St. Petersburg with Hermitage for $189

*9 hour Hermitage and Peter & Paul Fortress for $142

Yes, the private tour still ends up being anywhere between $1 - $50 more expensive than the ships offered all day excursion, BUT the prviate tour is also 2-3 hours longer, only has 13 people and is customized to what we wanted to see and do, and we se A LOT more than the ships offered all day tour.

Also, the ships 1/2 day tours are as follows;

*Hermitage - $74

*Yusupov's Palace with river cruise - $74

*Panoramic St. Petersburg - $110

Let's say you combine 2 1/2 day tours in order to get a full day in St. Petersburg - you're already paying $140 minimum, and could be paying as much as $184. That's only $6 less than a private tour.

(And yes, I understand that lowering the costs on a private tour hinges upon being able to find other groups that are willing to come together to find a tour - otherwise it is very high in cost for just a party of 3)

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. We are on the Vision on the sailiing on the 26th, one day in St Petersburg. I had already looked at the roll call and they do have discussions on a one day trip. Ideally, this is what we would like to do a full day trip. but we have to take my mum's condition into account. We would not feel comfortable leaving her for an entire day if she needed some downtime in the morning and also we would like for her to see and share with her this once in a lifetime visit to St Petersburg. So, if she wasn't able to join in the morning,then hopefully she could in the afternoon. We are going with family considerations as well as financial, hence while not optimal why we have decided to break it into 2 1/2 day excursions.

Terry: Thanks, I have seen your photos on other threads and they are awesome and tks as well for your 'must see's. I would love to be able to be able to strike out independently, but in family situations it is all about compromise and ensuring everyone has an enjoyable day.

Jstducky: Thanks for sharing your views and experiences of St Petersburg.

Hi All,

We are going with family considerations as well as financial, hence while not optimal why we have decided to break it into 2 1/2 day excursions.

I am sure you all will still have a day you'll never forget, but in case you need more 'visuals' of places you do (and don't) go to :

The Fountains of Peterhof

The Catherine Palace at Pushkin

Peter and Paul Fortress/Cathedral

St Isaac's Cathedral

Church of Our Saviour on the Spilled Blood

The Winter Palace/Hermitage State Museum

All the best, Tony

Cheers Tony (Cornishpastyman).

Great share, I have really enjoyed the videos. Wish I had more time in St P'burg to experience it all..

I think we have made a decision. We will go with the Hermitage tour in the morning before the temperatures rise and we may not miss the AC as much. ..

One question for the forum folks who have been to St Petersburg. We are trying to decide now on the afternoon tour. Will we pass many of the sights listed on the panoramic bus tour on our way to and from the port and the Hermitage _ the Admiralty, the Cruiser Aurora, Field of Mars, Nevy Prospect and St Isaac’s cathedral ?

We are deciding between the above and the canal cruise Yussupov Palace for the afternoon. We would like this to be a different experience and don't want to go over the same route in the afternoon.

Awaiting your replies, many thanks...

Cheers Tony (Cornishpastyman).

One question for the forum folks who have been to St Petersburg. We are trying to decide now on the afternoon tour. Will we pass many of the sights listed on the panoramic bus tour on our way to and from the port and the Hermitage _ the Admiralty, the Cruiser Aurora, Field of Mars, Nevy Prospect and St Isaac’s cathedral ?

We are deciding between the above and the canal cruise Yussupov Palace for the afternoon. We would like this to be a different experience and don't want to go over the same route in the afternoon.

Awaiting your replies, many thanks...

If it were me I'd definitely do the canal cruise (to get a different view of the city) and the Yusupov Palace. My only regret of the entire cruise was that I overlooked this one. The story of Rasputin has always fascinated me and I am giving a friend my camcorder for him to wave it around on his visit next month. So I will 'see' it, but it won't be the same :( Tony

I loved St. Catherine's Palace, especially the Amber Room. There is so much history that goes with it. We had to put surgical slippers over our shoes so we wouldn't mess up the floors. The Peterhof Gardens were also one of my favorites. We went to several churches. I think it is a must see to go into at least one. A drive by doesn't give you the full experience. The Hermitage was overwhelming to me, and I have gone to many museums since we live in NY. There was so much to see, and it was so crowded you had to keep moving. I would imagine being with a large ship's tour it would be more hard to keep up. I would advise contacting the private tour agencies and state exactly what you told us, that you want to break your day into two sections. You need to be back at the ship to pick up your mother. See what they have to say. You might be able to fit a lot more in than you can imagine. I can't imagine that your parents are the only elderly people on the cruise, the tour companies must deal with this all of the time.

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. We are on the Vision on the sailiing on the 26th, one day in St Petersburg. I had already looked at the roll call and they do have discussions on a one day trip. Ideally, this is what we would like to do a full day trip. but we have to take my mum's condition into account. We would not feel comfortable leaving her for an entire day if she needed some downtime in the morning and also we would like for her to see and share with her this once in a lifetime visit to St Petersburg. So, if she wasn't able to join in the morning,then hopefully she could in the afternoon. We are going with family considerations as well as financial, hence while not optimal why we have decided to break it into 2 1/2 day excursions.

Terry: Thanks, I have seen your photos on other threads and they are awesome and tks as well for your 'must see's. I would love to be able to be able to strike out independently, but in family situations it is all about compromise and ensuring everyone has an enjoyable day.

Jstducky: Thanks for sharing your views and experiences of St Petersburg.

TLCOhio Thank you for posting your pictures and commentary about them. I'm not sure how I'll be able to wait until next year to see these sites in person.

Got2Cruise: I loved St. Catherine's Palace' date=' especially the Amber Room. There is so much history that goes with it. [/quote']

Yes, the Amber Room and the other things at Catherine's Palace are so super wonderful. Below are some of my visuals for those who have not been there, yet. Appreciate the nice comments on my pictures. But, you will have to wait until next year. Sorry!! Lots to get excited about.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 79,385 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

At Catherine's Palace, here is the spectacular Amber Room when my camera accidentially went off and captured this view.:

A-StP-CathPalAmberRm.jpg

At Catherine's Palace, here is a small sampling of its historic and highly-detailed furniture, plus one of its unique exterior.:

1A-StP-CathPalIntFurn.jpg

1A-StP-InteriorCath.jpg

1A-StP-CathPalExterior.jpg

As we entered Catherine's Palace, this is the detail for the Royal family “double eagle” at the top of this large summer residence :

CathPalDoubleEagle.jpg

As we entered Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg, here was the welcoming band.:

1A-StP-WelcomeCath.jpg

I was going to ask how you got a picture of the Amber Room, but I see your commentary! :) Great photo!!!

I understand why places don't allow pictures, but it's a shame sometimes when I love to take photos. I know it's wrong, but I've had to "sneak" pictures at some places on purposes so I could have them (one being the Sistine Chapel at the Vatican - sshhhh!!)

I was going to ask how you got a picture of the Amber Room, but I see your commentary! :) Great photo!!! I understand why places don't allow pictures, but it's a shame sometimes when I love to take photos. I know it's wrong, but I've had to "sneak" pictures at some places on purposes so I could have them (one being the Sistine Chapel at the Vatican - sshhhh!!)

YES! Went off three different times. Amazing how those things just can happen, several times!!! It is a small room there at Catherine's Palace and if you have lots of people trying to take pictures, having flashes go off, doing their videos, waiting for people to get out of the way so they can shoot their pictures, etc, it can get complicated. Some places want you to just buy their pictures. BUT, there are also legitimate reasons that I mentioned above on why certain tourist picture-taking can create legitimate problems.

Archived