Help with Airlines from Boston to ? London - Destination Harwich, England

ILikeShips

I'm also doing a Norweigan Fjords cruise July 2013. Haven't decided if I'm going into Gatwick or Heathrow. If going into Gatwick, you might want to try Aer Lingus, US Air, United, KLM or Virgin, as well as Luftanza, I think they all go into that airport.

I'll probably fly in a couple of days early and either stay in London or go to Harwich and stay there prior to the cruise....most likely, I'll take car service from London to Harwich and then back to London after the cruise, as it seems the easiest way to get to Harwich....less stress and probably more comfortable.

Check out the Kayak website for flights. It lists them all and updates with the best price for each. It also displays times. It is the best airline comparison website by miles.

Getting to London Liverpool Street is a choice related to acceptable convenience, but getting from London to Harwich, the best bet is Liverpool Street to Harwich by train.

Check out the Kayak website for flights. It lists them all and updates with the best price for each. It also displays times. It is the best airline comparison website by miles.

Getting to London Liverpool Street is a choice related to acceptable convenience, but getting from London to Harwich, the best bet is Liverpool Street to Harwich by train.

I did check out the train, but noticed that there is one train change and since I'm not a train traveler (other than from Winnipeg to Churchill), not sure how easy the change would be with luggage (I'm an over packer). Any help would be appreciated.

Iceland Air flies Boston to Heathrow with a brief stop in Iceland. We really like this airline for its service and attractive fares. The airport in Iceland is small and easy to navigate. Pretty much only Iceland Air flights use it. If you choose to do a day or two in Iceland seeing the sights the airline offers some great packages and no extra charges on the airfare. We'll do this layover option next time.

On our recent cruisie departing from Southhampton we used a private car from Heathrow to London, did 4 days in London, then used a private car to the ship. The entire process was so easy and was the ultimate in "no stress" traveling. You can do the transfers for less $$, but you need to weigh your desired vacation ambiance.

You then get a tube to Liverpool Street. As far as I an aware, there are no stairs, but don't quote me on it.

There are stairs between the Underground and the mainline station. Not many, but they're there. And it's a busy place.

Last year we used Smiths for Airports for transportation London to Southampton and were very happy with their service. www.smithsforairports.com In May 2013 we are on the B2B2B on the Infinity concluding with the Norwegian Fjords cruise in Harwich. I have already contacted Smiths and they do provide service to Harwich. They told me a van for 3 people would be 195 pounds. The cost depends on size of vehicle, number of people, and amount of luggage. Last time we arranged for them to take us to Windsor Castle and Salisbury on the way from Southampton to Heathrow and we had a great experience with our driver. I would think that if you wanted to hire a tranfer service you could find others on this site to join you and share the cost. Given how much we pay for a cruise I think it is worth the extra cost to have someone else take care of my baggage and take me door to door.

Carolyn

I did check out the train, but noticed that there is one train change and since I'm not a train traveler (other than from Winnipeg to Churchill), not sure how easy the change would be with luggage (I'm an over packer). Any help would be appreciated.

In season, there is a special "cruise train" to Harwich that is non-stop. If you look at the London Tool kit web site that I posted on this thread - it mentions that. That would be the one you would want to take.

Several responders mentioned a variety of airlines, some of them requiring stops or change of plane. IMHO there is enough nonstop service from Boston to London you don't need to be bothered doing any of that. Boston to London is about a 5 hour flight, a bit shorter than Boston to San Francisco or LA, stick with the nonstop service, why extend your flight when you don't need to.

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to say a big Thank You for all your helpful suggestions and ideas. I feel much better now and not so overwhelmed with challenges of the uknown (international) and where to start! What a super group! I finalized the trip insurance yesterday and will add to this as I progress. (Thanks for that tip). At this point, think we will go with a car service and if we can team up with someone going on the Infinity that would even be better. It's reassuring to have information of those who have had good experiences with car services; otherwise might be taking a chance. Going at least one day early is our motto also.

Does anyone have suggestions for an overnight stay in London? We don't sleep well on flights and want to be more rested for boarding! Passports are good to go.

Hope I can repay the favors when advice is needed and will look for that opportunity.

Diane

Hi NLH Arizona, It was a nice surprise to find someone doing the same cruise, I assume, as we are! Feel free to PM me if you would like to compare notes at any time. Will pick up a map from AAA for starters and get a better idea of airport locations etc.

Diane

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone have suggestions for an overnight stay in London? We don't sleep well on flights and want to be more rested for boarding! Passports are good to go.

Diane

There's a Crowne Plaza about ½ mile up the road from Liverpool Street Station, I've stayed there and it's OK. There's an Andaz attached to the station. Of course, if you're not going to Harwich by train, there are a couple more hotels in London :). I like the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge, there's a view to die for from the main entrance.

Last year we used Smiths for Airports for transportation London to Southampton and were very happy with their service. www.smithsforairports.com In May 2013 we are on the B2B2B on the Infinity concluding with the Norwegian Fjords cruise in Harwich. I have already contacted Smiths and they do provide service to Harwich. They told me a van for 3 people would be 195 pounds. The cost depends on size of vehicle, number of people, and amount of luggage. Last time we arranged for them to take us to Windsor Castle and Salisbury on the way from Southampton to Heathrow and we had a great experience with our driver. I would think that if you wanted to hire a tranfer service you could find others on this site to join you and share the cost. Given how much we pay for a cruise I think it is worth the extra cost to have someone else take care of my baggage and take me door to door.

Carolyn

You really shouldn't need a Van for just 3 people in London. There were 4 of us, each with one large suitcase, one large rolling tote bag and one additional small rolling 21 inch suitcase plus a small tote/carry on for each lady. Their mid-size car is like a small SUV. I am sure pricing will be up this year due to the Olympics. We used Exclusive Airport Car Service from Heathrow to London @ E44 per car

(2 of us) Service was fine but the driver was a little surly. We shared the transportation with another couple using Smith's for Airports @ E160/E80 per couple from London to Southhampton.

For those looking for a central location and a small local hotel, we stayed at the Sanctuary House Hotel, less than a block from Westinster Abby.

Also, you can find my full reviewunder Member Reviews; Princess, Crown, May, 2011 British Isles/UK.

I've had wonderful info given to me by this board re: Norweigan Fjords cruise for 7/2013, and find I need to book travel insurance by Saturday to cover preexisting conditions. I think airlines usually book one year out and was trying perhaps to use a rough estimate for 2012. (?) However, would we fly to London and then what would be our choices to get to Harwich, England, our destination port? Sorry, I'm so new at this! Tried calling Delta and the response was they don't fly to "LGW" as of this year. I was then referred to Luftanza but unable to pull up their web site.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Diane

We always purchase travel insurance at final payment and it covers pre-existing conditions. Try CSA Freestyle (or one of their other policies).

Archived