Booking a Dining Time with MTD

Hi fellow cc'ers.

I have just made a reservation for MTD for our upcoming cruise at the end of August. I was surprised that there were no slots available between 6.45 and 7.30 pm. I re-checked what we did last year and I noticed that we were able to make reservations at 7pm and 7.15 pm.

My question is the following, do you think that means that the 7pm and 7.15 pm slots are already gone, or does it depend on the ship and it's size as to how many dining slots they have ? Also, this is the only time between 5.30 and 9.30 when it isn't possible to book ever 15 mins.

Look forward to you insights...

How early before the cruise can you book your reservations?

Also how necessary is it to even make reservations....I have read that more times than not you can just walk into the dining room with no reservations..especially for two?

It's been our experience that there always seems to be a gap in the middle of the evening when you can't book MTD. This has happened even when we've booked as soon as online booking opens.

I think they probably like to keep those times closed in order to plan for any backlog if lots of people eat early. Once onboard I imagine you will be able to book any time your want. The first few days (particularly the first night) always seem to be a bit manic and then it settles down.

I do think it's worth booking a dining slot in advance. We always blanket-book a particular time and then change it if necessary the night before, or the morning of, depending on what else is happening that evening. At least with a booked time you usually get taken straight to your table instead of having to stand in line waiting for a table to become available.

Just because the reserved slots are taken already doesn't mean you can't walk in without a reservation; I'm sure they leave some tables open for walk ins. That's the idea behind MTD - dining when you want.

Go when you want. A reservation is absolutely not required. We went every evening without reserving and always got in within 3 minutes. :)

Is the wait short on formal nights too?? Or is it best to make reservations at least for those nights?

Following the logic that many people don't want to go formal and eat elsewhere on formal nights, the wait might be less - or no wait at all.

It depends if they're serving lobster. Our MTD waiter on Jewel told us one night to make sure we had our table booked for the following night (2nd or 3rd formal night) as they were serving lobster and people who normally didn't come to the MDR would be there for lobster night :rolleyes:

Hi fellow cc'ers.

I have just made a reservation for MTD for our upcoming cruise at the end of August. I was surprised that there were no slots available between 6.45 and 7.30 pm. I re-checked what we did last year and I noticed that we were able to make reservations at 7pm and 7.15 pm.

My question is the following, do you think that means that the 7pm and 7.15 pm slots are already gone, or does it depend on the ship and it's size as to how many dining slots they have ? Also, this is the only time between 5.30 and 9.30 when it isn't possible to book ever 15 mins.

Look forward to you insights...

We just got off Oasis on Sat. we made reservations for every night before we left. As you know things change from day to day, we never made the time of our reservation any night we just walked up and got a table with not a problem.

Following the logic that many people don't want to go formal and eat elsewhere on formal nights, the wait might be less - or no wait at all.
My past experiences have been the complete opposite...the MDR on formal nights are mostly quite full that is why I asked.:)

Archived