What a con a "French Balcony" is.

beverlyjack

A "French Balcony" is no balcony at all. It is a a set of sliders without a balcony. While better than not having windows that open, it can't compare to a real balcony, no matter how small. If one member of a couple wants to sit and read, take a nap, or whatever in the comfort of the A/C or heat and the other want to enjoy the fresh air and tranquility of a private balcony, it can't be done. The term French balcony is advertised as a positive, but I'll take a real balcony any time., but I will take a French balcony over windows that don't open or a port hole. The one advantage that I see to a French balcony is that it does not take space away from the cabin, as a real balcony often does. Sorry for venting, but the term grates on me.

Were you expecting something different? If so, I can see why that would be a surprise and an annoying one at that. If not (and hopefully you did know before you booked!), well...I guess, what did you expect?I'm not sure how they're a 'con' since it's pretty clear what you're getting before you go.

Edited by CleoV

French balconies are not only found on river boats. They are available in hotels all over the world. The term and usage is nothing new. Why does it grate on you?:D At least you aren't told you are getting a "balcony". You are booking what it says...FRENCH balcony. Definitely not a "con", as your title says.

Remember if you DO want more "balcony" space on a river boat, you'll give up space in the room itself as most river boats are limited in width. I prefer the room space.

Edited by eandj

If one member of a couple wants to sit and read, take a nap, or whatever in the comfort of the A/C or heat and the other want to enjoy the fresh air and tranquility of a private balcony, it can't be done.

While I can appreciate the concept behind this, it really is a "first world" problem, isn't it? You're on a luxury river boat, eating gourmet food, seeing places most people can only dream about visiting, and the problem is you can't have fresh air and A/C at the same time.

I'm honestly not trying to pick on you. I can see how it's an inconvenience. But when put into perspective, this really did give me a rather wry laugh. :D

I don't believe it's a "con" just not understanding or researching the term "french balcony". In france, the apartments come with the said french balcony which is not set to the terms we use as a balcony. No you cannot go out on it and if you can it is very narrow with no chairs residing on said balcony. If you look at the diagrams as per every web site has for their ships, you will not see a balcony but large window with a small outline of the grid that is on the window.

The "veranda" has a diagram of the obvious bumpout that the "veranda" rooms have.

French balcony and veranda are the key phrases that you look for as far as cruising rooms are concerned. Learn something new all the time but no "con" is involved here.;)

One of many internet definitions of the term French Balcony -

"A French Balcony is typically a set of two narrow doors (French doors!) leading to a "quasi-balcony" that is usually no more than 1 foot deep, protected by a railing. So you can open the doors in the morning like they do in the movies with a dramatic gesture and check out the weather outside without being on an actual balcony!

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_French_balcony#ixzz1uglLUEix"

It is not a con but a failure on your part to check on what the term meant and what you were getting.

DON

Quite to the contrary, I enjoy river cruising, but I have only cruised with Grand Circle, which has small by real balconies. I don't always get a balcony, but, if I do, I want one that I can sit out on.

Quite to the contrary, I enjoy river cruising, but I have only cruised with Grand Circle, which has small by real balconies. I don't always get a balcony, but, if I do, I want one that I can sit out on. I much prefer river cruises to ocean cruises.

When my travel agent said the only two remaining cabins only had a french balcony, I asked him to explain. I figured it wasn't a normal balcony. Know before you go to prevent disappointment. :cool:

On many of the rivers you will be going through ancient locks so one must either give up "balcony" space or give up cabin space to fit through; the ships must conform to the width of the locks and dam system.

Go up on the top deck although even that may be closed to you to fit under old bridges. Hopefully you will be enjoying the towns and villages so much that you won't be spending that much time in your cabin; take your drink to one of the outside lounges and get that 360 view.

I'm not sure I understand the point of your post. Is it just to let the world know you're annoyed by the term French Balcony?

If so, duly noted. But...I dunno. Is there a point beyond that?

Again---Why do people feel the need to put down other people's opinions?

Therein (for me, at least) lies the problem. What IS the opinion? That the term French Balcony is annoying?

When I read:

The term French balcony is advertised as a positive, but I'll take a real balcony any time., but I will take a French balcony over windows that don't open or a port hole. The one advantage that I see to a French balcony is that it does not take space away from the cabin, as a real balcony often does. Sorry for venting, but the term grates on me.
what I see is: 1) I want a real balcony on a ship that doesn't have them; 2)But I'll take the French Balcony if my other choice is a port hole; 3) French Balconys give you more room in your cabin than a real balcony would; 4) I don't like the term French Balcony.

I am strangely drawn to this thread because for the life of me, I can't figure out why someone would post about not liking two words strung together to describe a feature on a river cruise ship.

That, and the fact the title says French Balconies are a con. In what way are they a con? What were you conned into, and by whom?

I can resepect an opinion about an experience, but I'm struggling to understand how a person can be annoyed by a term that describs a feature on a river cruise ship that they (really) could have understood before they booked.

Not slamming their opinion (which I can't actaully decipher), but would be curious to hear WHY it's a con, as that was supposed to be the subject of the thread.

Edited by CleoV

French balcony comes from the time in Paris where they would tax any and all aspects of living space. A true balcony would add taxes onto the house and a door that could slide open to reveal the same view as a "deck" as we term it today was developed. Also the Mansard roof was also developed as a way to add livable space to a structure and avoid taxes. The attic space although windows were usually in the system was still considered attic space and non livable because it was argued the slope of the "walls" was cosidered roofing system. Good thing some people write this stuff down.

Therein (for me, at least) lies the problem. What IS the opinion? That the term French Balcony is annoying?

When I read: what I see is: 1) I want a real balcony on a ship that doesn't have them; 2)But I'll take the French Balcony if my other choice is a port hole; 3) French Balconys give you more room in your cabin than a real balcony would; 4) I don't like the term French Balcony.

I am strangely drawn to this thread because for the life of me, I can't figure out why someone would post about not liking two words strung together to describe a feature on a river cruise ship.

That, and the fact the title says French Balconies are a con. In what way are they a con? What were you conned into, and by whom?

I can resepect an opinion about an experience, but I'm struggling to understand how a person can be annoyed by a term that describs a feature on a river cruise ship that they (really) could have understood before they booked.

Not slamming their opinion (which I can't actaully decipher), but would be curious to hear WHY it's a con, as that was supposed to be the subject of the thread.

What he said

Please remember that the new Viking River Cruise longships do indeed have smaller rooms for their French balconies. They have taken space from them to give to the "real" balcony rooms across the hall. The Fr balcony rooms are now smaller than the lowest deck rooms with the tiny windows. The remaining space is really tight on each side of the bed and there is only a small box seat that slides under the counter for extra seating. We won't choose again.

On my first riverboat cruise, we paid about $1500 extra/week for the french balcony. What a rip off. $1500 for a window that can open is outrageous. In some places, when the ship slowed down, we had bugs fly into our room. Yuck. Now I book the cheapest room. All the rooms are small. Not the type that you'd want to spend any long periods of time except to sleep. Save your money and skip the french balcony. I know that there are some ships that have a real balcony room. Not sure the cost would be worth it.

On my first riverboat cruise, we paid about $1500 extra/week for the french balcony. What a rip off. $1500 for a window that can open is outrageous. In some places, when the ship slowed down, we had bugs fly into our room. Yuck. Now I book the cheapest room. All the rooms are small. Not the type that you'd want to spend any long periods of time except to sleep. Save your money and skip the french balcony. I know that there are some ships that have a real balcony room. Not sure the cost would be worth it.

You knew (or should have known) what a "French Balcony" was. With this knowledge (assuming that you did know), you selected it anyway. How then was it a ripoff.

Bad planning on your part - maybe. Failure to understand what you were paying for - maybe. Ripoff - never!!

DON

If you felt "ripped off" it is solely because you did not do your homework. For EACH and EVERY cruise I am responsible for ascertaining the dimensions of the stateroom, the dimensions of the balcony (if any) and making an informed decision about exactly what I am willing to pay for.

There is a market for French balconies, for "real" balconies, for suites, and for the smallest, cheapest room. To each his own - and caveat emptor. Which loosely translates as "do your own homework or don't complain."

A "French Balcony" is no balcony at all. It is a a set of sliders without a balcony. While better than not having windows that open, it can't compare to a real balcony, no matter how small. If one member of a couple wants to sit and read, take a nap, or whatever in the comfort of the A/C or heat and the other want to enjoy the fresh air and tranquility of a private balcony, it can't be done. The term French balcony is advertised as a positive, but I'll take a real balcony any time., but I will take a French balcony over windows that don't open or a port hole. The one advantage that I see to a French balcony is that it does not take space away from the cabin, as a real balcony often does. Sorry for venting, but the term grates on me.

I'm only just STARTING my research and I could have told you that a "French Balcony" is not a "true" balcony. I am wondering how did you miss that???

• 3 weeks later...
French balcony comes from the time in Paris where they would tax any and all aspects of living space. A true balcony would add taxes onto the house and a door that could slide open to reveal the same view as a "deck" as we term it today was developed. Also the Mansard roof was also developed as a way to add livable space to a structure and avoid taxes. The attic space although windows were usually in the system was still considered attic space and non livable because it was argued the slope of the "walls" was cosidered roofing system. Good thing some people write this stuff down.

This is very interesting. Thank you for the reason behind these floor to ceiling opening windows. ;)