Kindle, Nook, other, neither?

What does it mean "to root".

I've seen that mentioned several times on this thread but have no clue what it means.

Thanks for all the help!!

To root means to go into the device and change the installed operating system. This allows the device to do more and have different functions than designed. It also voids any warranty. Not for the non technical person or the faint of heart. For most people it would not be a benefit.

To root means to go into the device and change the installed operating system. This allows the device to do more and have different functions than designed. It also voids any warranty. Not for the non technical person or the faint of heart. For most people it would not be a benefit.

I'm a non-techie...so not for me to mess with.

But thanks for the info!

I'm afraid that is the same conclusion I have drawn. Since buying both isn't an option right now, I'm probably going to buy an ereader with e-ink display. The luxury of playing Scrabble anytime I want will have to wait. Is it inconceivable that a vendor would allow a "test drive" of the e-reader out in the sunlight?

I have a regular Kindle with e-ink and I play Yahtzee on it. I looked and you can play scrabble on it as well: http://www.amazon.com/SCRABBLE/dp/B003P2QCE8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337608576&sr=8-1

You can get a Kindle for $80. http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-eReader-eBook-Reader-e-Reader-Special-Offers/dp/B0051QVESA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1337608621&sr=8-6

I have an Ipad with the Kindle app, and I also bought a Kindle 3 just for sun reading.

I use the site below for free Kindle books. It automatically loads both devices, and I prefer it to pixels of ink. It updates often, so I check it daily.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/digital-text

I have over 200 books and games, most of them free. I put them into categories, like childrens, games, food, so easier to find things when I need them. (love the childrens books to read to granddaughter)

I don't know if I will ever read everything, but I continue download new free book pretty much on a daily basis. I do find that ebooks have given me the opportunity to read a lot more authors than I would have done normally. And I find myself reading more. Plus, a lot less clutter around the house, which I'm a bit obsessive about...LOL!!

I have a Nookcolor that is "rooted". My warranty isnt void;) because I have a dual sd card called n2a card. Put it in. I have an android tablet with access to kindle app, kobo app and hundred of other apps. Take that sd card out and I have a regluar Nookcolor with my warranty intact. I have never had any problems with reading my Nookcolor in the sunlight. I currently have over 3000 epub books. I am an avid reader.:D As I said, I LOVE my rooted Nookcolor I carry it everywhere. I am looking firward to laying by the pool relaxing and reading off my Nookcolor.

It is a combination of books I have brought thru Barnes and Noble, my hubby brought from Amazon and epubs I have gotten. Hubby and I can share book thru our library on Calibre. Or I can download them on the kindle app that is on my rooted Nookcolor.

• 3 months later...
The kindle with a keypad has free 3G and wi-fi. The touch, the fire and the other two $79 model are wi-fi only. ... As we sailed past Cabo on the way to Manzanillo, wife got "free" facebook for about 15 minutes on the kindle with 3G.

As somebody who doesn't have a smartphone, I'm not sure I understand the distinction between 3G and wifi? 3G is the data plan for your smartphone? Wifi is like when I walk in to starbucks with my laptop, right? So I see why wifi is free -- but not on the ship? -- but don't you pay for your 3G usage?

As somebody who doesn't have a smartphone, I'm not sure I understand the distinction between 3G and wifi? 3G is the data plan for your smartphone? Wifi is like when I walk in to starbucks with my laptop, right? So I see why wifi is free -- but not on the ship? -- but don't you pay for your 3G usage?

Wi-fi is a wireless Internet connection, like you might have at home or yes, in a Starbucks or similar store. 3G refers to Third Generation Data services, it's technically a speed at which your phone can download and upload data. 3G is faster than 2G for example. But more often people say 3G just to refer to cellular data in general. Most e-readers come with a free 3G option. Amazon and B&N have their own 3G networks that allow you to download books and games all over the country and around the world. For 3G

Connections through e-readers, you don't pay a monthly fee for the data connection(whereas with most smartphones, you pay a monthly fee), however e-readers that can access the Amazon or B&N data networks are more expensive than wi-fi only models. On a ship, if you're close enough to land, you can sometimes get a 3G signal and download a book or game right there, with no extra cost to you, or you can download when you get to port. But if you have a wi-fi only ereader, you'd have to get ships wifi or find a wifi hotspot in port in order to download anything. I like being able to download whatever, whenever for free, so the extra upfront cost of a 3G enabled ereader was worth it to me.

I bought my Nook (1st generation) in Jan 2011 because I had busted the weight limit on my suitcase on my last cruise. I tend to read about 3-4 books per cruise and this was the way to limit the weight of my suitcase. I love my Nook, have a ton of books and switch them out as needed. I simply use a book light if I want to read in the dark. I think that when the time comes to replace, it will be with similar features!! Happy reading everyone.

Wi-fi is a wireless Internet connection, like you might have at home or yes, in a Starbucks or similar store. 3G refers to Third Generation Data services, it's technically a speed at which your phone can download and upload data. 3G is faster than 2G for example. But more often people say 3G just to refer to cellular data in general. Most e-readers come with a free 3G option. Amazon and B&N have their own 3G networks that allow you to download books and games all over the country and around the world. For 3G

Connections through e-readers, you don't pay a monthly fee for the data connection(whereas with most smartphones, you pay a monthly fee), however e-readers that can access the Amazon or B&N data networks are more expensive than wi-fi only models. On a ship, if you're close enough to land, you can sometimes get a 3G signal and download a book or game right there, with no extra cost to you, or you can download when you get to port. But if you have a wi-fi only ereader, you'd have to get ships wifi or find a wifi hotspot in port in order to download anything. I like being able to download whatever, whenever for free, so the extra upfront cost of a 3G enabled ereader was worth it to me.

BN no longer sells a 3G ereader... You can sometimes find them used... It is rumored that Amazon will follow suit in the next year...

Thanks for taking the time to make sense of it for me. :D

BN no longer sells a 3G ereader... You can sometimes find them used... It is rumored that Amazon will follow suit in the next year...

And thanks for the heads up on what is/isn't being offered now/future. :D

Whoops. I have a Kindle so I admit I'm not that up on what B&N is doing. I'd be surprised if Amazon did away with their 3G, unless that model is not selling sufficiently to make up for the expense of maintaining the network. It is after all, one of the great advantages of the Kindle.

I love my Kindle. I had one of the first ones out until this afternoon. It finally gave out so I will be going to the store right after church to purchase another. I will not be getting a Fire as I read in the sun frequently--we own a boat and are in it 5 out of 7 days--and I have heard it is not as readable as others in the sun. Do some research on line before buying so you can make an informed choice. we all have our favs, but our choice may not be the best for you.

You sound like me! I had one of the very first model Kindles and knocked it off of my bed, onto the nightstand and onto the floor. Even with it's cover, it landed face down and turned into an etch a sketch. Loved my kindle so much, I bought a new one the same day. I didn't upgrade to a fire; went with the basic Kindle.

I also own an iPad and an iPhone, but my Kindle is lighter and the right size for reading books in bed.

this is my lucky day. a lady that lives in the apt by me had hers for sale ( she is going too a more hi-tech reader ) for $25 and it has lots of books on it. i checked it out and it is exactly what i wanted. wow, what a deal. so my search is complete and i saved a ton of money also. :D

i will see what the conference is all about thursday. thanks alot. it sounds like the kindle is what i will be checking out. just basic reading is all i want. no games or things.

Be careful...I bought the 3Gwi-fi Kindle for myself and bought the Fire for my wife. It does so much more and it only costs $10.00 more than the Kindle I have. The biggest drawback I have is the Fire weighs 14oz. and gets "heavy" when you hold it for a long time which my wife does. (She has to re-charge it every night!)

I love my Nook Color. It is perfect for what I need/want. I use it mainly for reading - often in bed at night when my husband is sleeping, I rarely use the web browser on it since I prefer my iPhone for that.

I wasn't sure which one I wanted until I got my hands on them. Playing with one in the store is the best way to figure out which one you want.

I plan on getting a Google Nexus 7 prior to my november cruise. It's the same size/price as the comparable Nook/Kindle, but you aren't restricted to the B&N/Amazon markets, but rather have access to the entire Android market. Just get your e-reader app of choice and start reading.

Guess I'm "old fashion.":) I like the REAL thing of having a book to read. It does not have to be a big book, but something I can read on the ship as well as at the airport, and I don't have to "worry" about the sun blinding me trying to read the screen as some others have said.

I bought a Nook about a year ago and liked it but when my friend showed me her Fire, I loved it. Bought one about a month ago and am now selling my Nook on ebay. The Fire is more like an iPad to me. I really like it. And I like the Prime membership with Amazon

Archived