5-13-12 Statendam & Amsterdam Time Lapse in San Diego

nobbync

This is my second try at a time lapse video. This time I was up at 0500 taking photos as both the Statendam and Amsterdam came into San Diego. The Statendam came in first and the Amsterdam followed. When they left heading north the Amsterdam left first. Fun but mostly overcast day. Hope you all enjoy.

http://nobbync.smugmug.com/Travel/Cruise-Ships/2140379_8vhCQC#!i=1845687725&k=fVPfzKr&lb=1&s=X2

Nobby

This is my second try at a time lapse video. This time I was up at 0500 taking photos as both the Statendam and Amsterdam came into San Diego. The Statendam came in first and the Amsterdam followed. When they left heading north the Amsterdam left first. Fun but mostly overcast day. Hope you all enjoy.

Nobby

Alright that was pretty cool!!!

Now, unless you are a magician and refuse to give up your secrects, tell us how you did the mutiply shots and locations...prying minds want to know.

Alright that was pretty cool!!!

Now, unless you are a magician and refuse to give up your secrects, tell us how you did the mutiply shots and locations...prying minds want to know.

LOL! That was the trick. I ran all over the place and I did all the shots myself. In the morning I started at Harbor Island and after the Statendam came in I could not see the Amsterdam so I drove fast down to the cruise ship docks. In the afternoon I shot from Shelter Island and after the Amsterdam got close I drove as fast as I could to the Pt Loma side of Shelter Island to shoot across. I was not fast enough to get the Amsterdam going by Shelter Island palm trees which is what i wanted but was able to get Statendam leaving. It was a long BUT fun day and in between I took my mom to dinner and even dragged her with me for the afternoon shots which she loved doing.

Glad you enjoyed and thanks!

Nobby

LOL! That was the trick. I ran all over the place and I did all the shots myself. In the morning I started at Harbor Island and after the Statendam came in I could not see the Amsterdam so I drove fast down to the cruise ship docks. In the afternoon I shot from Shelter Island and after the Amsterdam got close I drove as fast as I could to the Pt Loma side of Shelter Island to shoot across. I was not fast enough to get the Amsterdam going by Shelter Island palm trees which is what i wanted but was able to get Statendam leaving. It was a long BUT fun day and in between I took my mom to dinner and even dragged her with me for the afternoon shots which she loved doing.

Glad you enjoyed and thanks!

Nobby

You did that all by yourself? Unbelievable, and no traffic tickets?

I was guessing you had at least one accomplice. We have a couple of Nikon cameras that can shot time lapse but have never tried it. What did you use?

You did that all by yourself? Unbelievable, and no traffic tickets?

I was guessing you had at least one accomplice. We have a couple of Nikon cameras that can shot time lapse but have never tried it. What did you use?

I have been wanting to do things like this for ages so it took a lot of preparing. I always look for places for good vantage points to shoot. I also know how long it takes to get places. In the morning it was no big deal. 6 am on Sunday morning there was very little traffic. In the afternoon I shot from only two places and they were close to each other. I also went back to Harbor Island in the early afternoon to take a few shots as the sun came out.

I used a Nikon D300, D80 and P510. Actually the D300 was the workhorse but I used the other two for a few shots but the D300 was what I did all the time lapse shots on. It was really fun and I can't wait to do more but have to wait for the fall for more ships here.

Nobby

Just noticed you are doing the 14 day Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam out of Seattle. We did this last year and loved it. We got real lucky and had great weather.....but don't depend on that happening. Carry rain gear.

Here is a link to our pictures from last summer:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=07afc87cdf2f6dca&sc=photos#cid=07AFC87CDF2F6DCA&id=7AFC87CDF2F6DCA%212347&sc=photos

Just click one of the albums and thumbnails will come up. Click on the first thumbnail and it will start a slide show. When done, go to the upper right and click "view folder" which will take you back to the thumbnails. Go to the upper left click on the "2011 14 day Alaska Cruise" which will take you back to the original albums which you can click on the next album.

We would do this cruise again in a heart beat. Maybe next year. You will truely enjoy this one.

http://nobbync.smugmug.com/Travel/Cruise-Ships/2140379_8vhCQC#!i=1845687725&k=fVPfzKr&lb=1&s=X2

Nobby

Thanks for that! I was on the Statendam when she pulled into port today. Sad to leave her after a great 16-day cruise....

Just noticed you are doing the 14 day Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam out of Seattle. We did this last year and loved it. We got real lucky and had great weather.....but don't depend on that happening. Carry rain gear.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=07afc87cdf2f6dca&sc=photos#cid=07AFC87CDF2F6DCA&id=7AFC87CDF2F6DCA%212347&sc=photos

Just click one of the albums and thumbnails will come up. Click on the first thumbnail and it will start a slide show. When done, go to the upper right and click "view folder" which will take you back to the thumbnails. Go to the upper left click on the "2011 14 day Alaska Cruise" which will take you back to the original albums which you can click on the next album.

We would do this cruise again in a heart beat. Maybe next year. You will truely enjoy this one.

Thanks! I had been to Alaska twice before so I have my rain gear for me and my cameras. I have been wanting to do the 14 cruise since Princess started it and then HAL. I finally am able to go and I was actually planning to go again next year but sinc eit is no longer offered I am not sure what I will do next year.

Thanks for your photo link. I will need to look at them tonight after I get home from work.

Nobby

Thanks, Nobby! We were on the Statendam so it is fun to see it arriving! I was up at 5 taking video FROM the ship coming in..was sorry the lights were not on in town since I wanted to get the neon lights on top of the buildings but alas Downtown was dark.

Also, loved going to the link to your photos...fantastic! Love your idea of the birds by kayak. Shall keep looking at them.

Again out thanks for a job well done...especially for a first effort!

I loved watching the ships come in. Just awesome. But I need help... lots of it, but let's just stick with the video. It stops at 1:02, yet the total time at the bottom shows that it runs over 3 minutes. What can I do to see the rest? No techie here, I just clicked on it to play and that is about all I know how to do. :confused:

I loved watching the ships come in. Just awesome. But I need help... lots of it, but let's just stick with the video. It stops at 1:02, yet the total time at the bottom shows that it runs over 3 minutes. What can I do to see the rest? No techie here, I just clicked on it to play and that is about all I know how to do. :confused:

Hi, it's possible your computer is a little slower so it may have trouble playing it in HD which is the link I posted. I just tried it a few times and it played all the way through. Could have also been a glitch with Smugmug when you did it? At the top you can choose a smaller version like Med-def but here is the link if you want to try that.

Nobby

Nobbync, thank you. It must have been some quirk this morning because the video plays completely now. It was worth all of the frustrations to be able to see this in its entirety. Wonderful job. My laptop is rather new and equipped with all of the bells and whistles, so I do not think that was the problem.

San Diego is a beautiful city and you have captured the beauty of the harbor and the skyline...and the magnificent HAL ships.

You have some really good photos on there! Thanks for sharing and what kind of cameras you using?

Nobby

You have some really good photos on there! Thanks for sharing and what kind of cameras you using?

Nobby

My wife is the camera nut and most of those were shot with a Nikon Coolpix P90 or her bigger Nikon D80. On the right of each of the pictures is an "Information" tab where Skydrive lists all the information of the shot.

My wife, since these shots in AK, has purchased a new Nikon D7000 which she likes much better. She says has twice the mega pixels and twice the resolution of the D80 and she finds it shoots a better picture.

Rick

Great video!!

Looking forward to meeting you in 31 days on the Amsterdam.

Glen

Thanks Glen, looking forward to meeting you as well. Less than a month to go! :)

Nobby

My wife is the camera nut and most of those were shot with a Nikon Coolpix P90 or her bigger Nikon D80. On the right of each of the pictures is an "Information" tab where Skydrive lists all the information of the shot.

My wife, since these shots in AK, has purchased a new Nikon D7000 which she likes much better. She says has twice the mega pixels and twice the resolution of the D80 and she finds it shoots a better picture.

Rick

Thanks Rick! I should look at the info on the shots. I looked through the gallery and nice stuff. I heave heard the D7000 is a great camera and from what I have seen of the shots I am impressed.

Nobby

Archived