Stressing over 1 hour layover in Amsterdam

BlackJack2

Our travel agent has us on a KLM flight (operated by Delta) from Detroit into Amsterdam. We only have one hour to change plans for our flight to Barcelona. Is this enough time? Do we have to get our baggage, go through customs, recheck our baggage, and go back through security?

It's tight, but don't stress (I know - easy for me to say) You won't have to collect and re-check or luggage. You'll go through customs and immigration in Barcelona. Just run like crazy to your gate. It's a huge airport. I think they may have shuttles. Enjoy your trip - when is it?

Our travel agent has us on a KLM flight (operated by Delta) from Detroit into Amsterdam. We only have one hour to change plans for our flight to Barcelona. Is this enough time? Do we have to get our baggage, go through customs, recheck our baggage, and go back through security?

It's tight, but don't stress (I know - easy for me to say) You won't have to collect and re-check or luggage. You'll go through customs and immigration in Barcelona. Just run like crazy to your gate. It's a huge airport. I think they may have shuttles. Enjoy your trip - when is it?

Actually you will go through immigration at Amsterdam since both The Netherlands and Spain are Schengen states. You'll collect your luggage and go through customs (i.e. walk through the door) in Barcelona.

Yes, it's enough time. The airline won't sell tickets that involve an "illegal" connection, i.e. one that's shorter from the minimum connection times (MCT) established by the airlines/airports. You probably won't have a lot of time to enjoy the shopping mall at Schiphol, but AMS is a pretty easy airport for connections.

The only real risk is that some of the runways at AMS are miles and miles from the gates, so you could find yourselves taxiing for quite a few minutes before arriving at your gate.

If all this sounds too nerve-wracking for you, ask your TA to book you on a longer connection; there are several flights daily between AMS and BCN.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I've flown through (and to) AMS many times and I think I confused myself. Somtimes it's to/from an EU country, sometimes not. I'm not really sure what the Schengen states are.

And coming back to the US is entirely different as well. It once took us an hour to get through immigration on the return - the place was packed, and they had all the booths open.

To the OP: If you're taking that first DTW-AMS flight, arriving at about 6am, the airport is still pretty quiet then. It gets busier later in the morning.

If you are tight for time you'll find there is a short connection lane when you go through immigration and security. This is only available once your connection status is boarding - there's a list of flight numbers that give access. I've managed 20 minute connections but don't hang about looking at the shops. The transfer screens give you an estimate of walking time to your gate. No shuttles but there are moving walkways. G.

It's tight, but AMS is a breeze. Well marked, no language problems (everything is in Dutch & English). However, even if you miss your flight there are five flights a day from AMS to BCN, plus a few more connections via CDG/Paris. Only reason I'd be worried is if you're flying in day of cruise (which is never a good idea).

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I've flown through (and to) AMS many times and I think I confused myself. Somtimes it's to/from an EU country, sometimes not. I'm not really sure what the Schengen states are.

Have you considered doing an online search for Schengen and finding out?? That would answer your questions on immigration and customs in Europe (or at least most of the common ones).

If you are tight for time you'll find there is a short connection lane when you go through immigration and security. This is only available once your connection status is boarding - there's a list of flight numbers that give access. I've managed 20 minute connections but don't hang about looking at the shops. The transfer screens give you an estimate of walking time to your gate. No shuttles but there are moving walkways. G.

That short connection lane can be a life saver. It's the leftmost lane as you approach immigration. There is a monitor by that lane showing which flights are eligible to use it.

You will also have to go through security at AMS. To expedite that, make sure you don't bring anything that could lead to extra screening.

One more tip on getting through AMS quickly...

Usually you will not get a boarding pass (or seat assignment) in advance for intra-European flihgts. One is supposed to stop off a transfer desk on the concourse on which you land. The first one you get to is almost always the busiest .. head for the next one directly (one have to walk past it anyway, so no additional walking time).

I assume you are flying in a day (or three) ahead of cruise departure. There are quite a few KLM flights to BCN each day. (at least 5 non-stops a day)

Your luggage will be labeled all the way to Barcelona, you DONOT have to pick it up. So it is just you going to the other gate, after going through passportcontrol. There is a short connectionflight desk watch for that.

Also if you donot have a boardingpass for your next flight, look for the machines which are now in various areas. That way you donot need to go to the transferdesk. Of you will get both boardspasses at the checkin in the USA.

Security is taking places at the gates, so forget about taxfree shopping.

Customs will be in Barcelona, which will be very easy.

I've done a very similar flight out of DTW on KLM, also arriving at approx. 9AM for a connecting flight with less than an hour to make it to the next gate. Never again!!! We made it, but barely after a mad dash through the airport. It was reminscent of the old OJ Simpson commercial where he was leaping over passengers and luggage to make his flight.:eek: Passport control had very long lines and the short connection booth wasn't opened.

Since you're asking for opinions, I'd be getting back to my TA and ask for a change of flights.

Archived