Scrapbooking for Cruising?

RozWazowski

Love your pages. You have beautiful handwriting. If I tried to write a whole page I would end up making a mistake and have to start over again. I so enjoy scrapping a cruise but usually end up with a huge album - I have editing issues and want to include everything!

I've done two of my cruises, and working on a third. Two of mine are so big that I had to split them into two albums. I totally know what you mean! :D

I've done two of my cruises, and working on a third. Two of mine are so big that I had to split them into two albums. I totally know what you mean! :D

I'm so glad to know I am not the only one with multi-album trips!

A Smashbook is kinda like an old school scrapbook that I made as a teen back in the 60's and 70's. It has heavy duty pages with pre-printed graphics and catchy phrases. I love the concept which is smash things in, no rules, no perfection and it becomes totally yours.

If you do a search on Youtube or Pinterest you'll find some examples. I started mine for the cruise with some title pages, themes etc. I plan to take it along and glue in my memorabilia as I go. then when I get home I'll print and add the pics. It should be fun!

Thanks, Denise.

I had no idea there was such a thing. All of our local scrapbook stores have gone out of business so I don't get to see and hear about all the new things when they come out. Going to A.C. Moore or Michael's is not quite the same.

A Smashbook looks like a great way to keep a journal on a cruise.

Kathi

• 4 weeks later...
I've completed 16 cruise scrapbooks over the years. Here's a link to one of mine to give you an idea of what I do:

http://marinerscrapbook.shutterfly.com/

Hey Teeara, just wanted to say loved your scrapbook. Thanks so much for the ideas. I am nearly finished with my 2009 cruise scrapbook (it was a scrapbooking cruise, lol) and have been wondering how I can make a daily journal to expand on the daily events of the cruise.

On each layout there is some journaling but I wanted a way to make more of a travel diary at the end of the book. Love how you used the stickers and lined pages (I am a die-hard CM album and pages user) to document each day.

Thanks for sharing the link to your work.

Shara

Well, I think I'll have 3 for my March 2012 Allure of the Seas 7 day cruise:eek::eek::eek::eek:

You are my kind of gal! I keep trying to tell myself "less is more" but then I keep finding pictures I must include. I try to do a lot of color blocking to get numerous pictures on a page.

I'm so glad to know I am not the only one with multi-album trips!

Well, I think I'll have 3 for my March 2012 Allure of the Seas 7 day cruise

I am working on a scrapbooking cruise that 2 friends and I took in January 2009. I've basically given myself "permission" lol to use 3 albums. It was 3 ports of call, 7 nights, etc. I figure why limit myself to just one album when I already know there are sooo many layouts I want to make.

I tend to scrap chronologically and like to capture daily memories and then I have layouts about other things such as people, food, my friend's nearly broker ankle (from missing the tiny step down from the bathroom to the room), etc.

I want to remember it all so I plan to scrap as many pics as I want and put them in whatever number of albums is required - whether it's 3 or more, lol.

I need to hurry up an finish this trip before my next cruise :D

Shara

I'm a digital scrapbooker and I also scan absolutely everything. We spent January 2009 in Fiji and I ended up making 2 120page books of our trip. Some pages I premade - our itinerary etc, but the making of the books afterward helped with extending the trip, just as the preplanning helps with the excitement while you are waiting.

Any out of focus photos you have that you still want to use but really aren't good enough - use as the background paper! I used quite a lot of out of focus underwater photos this way.

One thing I did do which I will do again for our upcoming cruise is have a certain colour border around the pages for each section. We stayed in 6 different places in Fiji, so I had one colour for the travelling section, and another different colour for each place. This time I might do blue edges for sea days, green for Wellington, Red for Rotorua, Yellow -Auckland, Purple -Fiji, Beige - Noumea for example.

I'm a digital scrapbooker and I also scan absolutely everything. We spent January 2009 in Fiji and I ended up making 2 120page books of our trip. Some pages I premade - our itinerary etc, but the making of the books afterward helped with extending the trip, just as the preplanning helps with the excitement while you are waiting.

Any out of focus photos you have that you still want to use but really aren't good enough - use as the background paper! I used quite a lot of out of focus underwater photos this way.

One thing I did do which I will do again for our upcoming cruise is have a certain colour border around the pages for each section. We stayed in 6 different places in Fiji, so I had one colour for the travelling section, and another different colour for each place. This time I might do blue edges for sea days, green for Wellington, Red for Rotorua, Yellow -Auckland, Purple -Fiji, Beige - Noumea for example.

What fantastic ideas! Thanks for sharing with us.

I like your ideas and see scraplifting might happen! Tomorrow is National Scrapbook Day so will be going to a crop. I've made albums for others but also got sidetracked into making what seems like a gazillion cards but really want to get back into scrapbooking. NSD seemed like a good motivator to start with our first cruise taken 6 1/2 years ago!!!!! Photos are printed and sorted by day. Thankfully I kept everything related to the cruise from the airplane tickets to all the daily programs to jog my memory on what we did when. I have too much paper to get into digital scrapbooking but think it sounds like a wonderful idea.

Sandy :)

Edited by Northern Light

I have too much paper

Sandy,

I am guilty of this also.:o

Do you have many scrapbookers in your area? All of our local scrapbook stores have closed and my friends who use to scrapbook, have all quit. I always thought one of the best things about scrapbooking was that it is a great group activity. I really miss that but keep on scrapbooking on my own. I have enough supplies to keep scrapping for years and years!

Enjoy your crop and happy NSD!

Kathi

Sandy,

I am guilty of this also.:o

Do you have many scrapbookers in your area? All of our local scrapbook stores have closed and my friends who use to scrapbook, have all quit. I always thought one of the best things about scrapbooking was that it is a great group activity. I really miss that but keep on scrapbooking on my own. I have enough supplies to keep scrapping for years and years!

Enjoy your crop and happy NSD!

Kathi

Hi Kathi,

I have one friend who is a scrapbooker. Other acquaintances have taken the stamping/card making route instead. My sister-in-law and her daughter in law did some scrapbooking but have given it up. At the LSS yesterday there were just 9 of us who were scrapbooking. There were two other crops that I knew were happening within an hour of the city but they were not sold out as they have been in past years. I live in the northeast end of Toronto and there is only one store within the city limits, on the other side of the city, and while they carry some cardstock and pattern paper it is mainly a stamping/mixed media store. To find a LSS, I need to travel outside of Toronto. Unfortunately, we have also seen a number of stores close in the province. The owner of one store I frequent says she has a hard time getting people to come to scrapbooking classes but no trouble for those wanting to make cards. Another owner told me she would have a tough time staying open if she didn't provide classes, but again mainly to create cards.

I attend Scrapfest which is a bi-annual event (April and October) about an hour's drive away. This year there were 35 vendors selling product - some scrapbooking, some stamping, some promoting scrapbooking retreats. There are classes and also a crop event which is very popular.

Owning a LSS takes a lot of effort and owners with young families don't seem to stay long in the business. Also it has to be tough to keep up with current trends because companies are always coming out with new lines and stores can't carry everything. It all changes too quickly.

It is an expensive hobby although I don't think it has to be. With the recent economy and so many out of work (including my daughter), spending money on paper isn't usually a priority. The style trend right now seems to be a more simpler than it has been. For a while layouts seemed to be more like works of art with just one picture but oodles of ribbon, flowers and other embellishments. Wonder if a lot of people were turned off this hobby because they didn't think they could be that creative. I have nothing against this style if that is what appeals to one and it looks really good in a shadow box but my feeling is that the pictures with journalling are what is important and if a picture gets lost on a layout because of all the other stuff, then the purpose of scrapbooking is lost. IMHO.

I tend not to go to crops with the intent of getting anything accomplished because there is always something I need that is at home. ;) I see it more as a socializing event with everyone sharing ideas and discussing tools of the craft.

My son worked in DC for a couple of years so I would always have a trail of LSS to visit on the way down. Have you been to Angela's Happy Stamper in Reston?

Like every hobby, scrapbooking waxes and wanes in popularity but never truly goes away. Because so many stores have closed, I am grateful for my stash! :D

About 200 days and I will be climbing aboard the Celebrity Reflection for a crafting cruise, but first I have to survive this week. Here in the Detroit area we have a scrapbook event called Mega Meet. Classes, crops and vendors from across the country. Plus we have several LSS in the metro area.

But I'll have to really be good and save a few $$$'s for the cruise. I'm planning to make a small travel journal before the cruise so I have a fun place to journal while on the ship, then take my time over the winter remembering what the sun looked like.:cool:

Hopefully we maybe cruisin' and scrappln' together in the future.

Deb

PS - Since I have to fly home - how much does a pound of paper weigh? Have to watch how many goodies I collect;)

Sandy and Deb,

On my last cruise I bought two albums (one for me and one for my daughter's family) and two paper packs for each. They added 10 pounds to my suitcase!

I think some of those elaborate pages with only one picture put some people off of scrapbooking because of the cost of one page. I did a couple of those pages in a wedding album I gave as a gift to a friend's daughter but I wouldn't want a whole album of them.

There is a large scrapbooking show held in northern Virginia each year that I have been to a couple of times. A group of us went up a couple of years but none of them are scrapping anymore. I haven't been on my own because I don't think it would be as much fun. I also don't really need anything. I turned my porch into a scrapbook room about 10 years ago. Every inch of space is taken up (some has actually creeped into my living room) and I am not letting myself buy anything until I use up significant amounts of what I have. I make most of my own cards. I was in a Stampin' Up club for a couple of years and have a ton of rubber stamps.

Deb, tell us more about your crafting cruise. I've always wanted to do something like that.

Kathi

Edited by Scrapnana

For those of you who love both crafting and scrapbooking Allure OTS has a designated space called the workshop with both scheduled classes and open time for all to be creative. They offer jewelry and scrapbook sessions and its a pleasantly decorated room with supplies galore.

I went there with the intent of just gluing some things into my Smashbook but ended up buying a SB packet for $10.00 because I wanted to support the program so that future RC ships will include the same space . The instructor was working with a couple of passengers on an impromtu jewelry session but stopped and grabbed me all kinds of supplies from the storage cabinets as well as showing me how to use their die-cut machine. I could have used all of these items without even purchasing the packet. Needless to say I loved the concept of a creative space.

I also found the Card Room which was much closer to our cabin to be another great space for creating. It was rarely used so I could set up my self-contained space with minimal supplies and do my thing.

Here's some pics of the Workshop...

DSCI1246-S.jpg

DSCI1243-S.jpg

DSCI1249-S.jpg

DSCI1250-S.jpg

DSCI1247-S.jpg

DSCI1240-S.jpg

For those of you who love both crafting and scrapbooking Allure OTS has a designated space called the workshop with both scheduled classes and open time for all to be creative. They offer jewelry and scrapbook sessions and its a pleasantly decorated room with supplies galore.

What a great idea! I wish more cruise lines would do this. Some of us are not cut out for ziplining and rock wall climbing but would love to have some craft supplies to work with.

About 200 days and I will be climbing aboard the Celebrity Reflection for a crafting cruise, but first I have to survive this week. Here in the Detroit area we have a scrapbook event called Mega Meet. Classes, crops and vendors from across the country. Plus we have several LSS in the metro area.

But I'll have to really be good and save a few $$$'s for the cruise. I'm planning to make a small travel journal before the cruise so I have a fun place to journal while on the ship, then take my time over the winter remembering what the sun looked like.:cool:

Hopefully we maybe cruisin' and scrappln' together in the future.

Deb

PS - Since I have to fly home - how much does a pound of paper weigh? Have to watch how many goodies I collect;)

Well, Deb, I promptly went to the GLMM website to see what the mega meet was all about. Before I did that, I was going to ask if you go to the Rubber Stamp and Papercraft show in August in Novi. Now I see that the GLMM is also held in Novi. It looks like a fabulous event. Wish I could go but will be down at Point Pelee birding. My hometown is Leamington, just a hop, skip and a jump across the River.

I would love to go on a scrapbooking cruise as long as I didn't have to take much more than a basic tool kit and photos. Just can't imagine toting paper supplies.

Great idea to make a journal to take with you. Do you add pockets to insert things you collect?

Hope you have a fabulous time at the GLMM and maybe you will consider posting a review about it afterwards for the rest of us to enjoy.

Sandy and Deb,

On my last cruise I bought two albums (one for me and one for my daughter's family) and two paper packs for each. They added 10 pounds to my suitcase!

I think some of those elaborate pages with only one picture put some people off of scrapbooking because of the cost of one page. I did a couple of those pages in a wedding album I gave as a gift to a friend's daughter but I wouldn't want a whole album of them.

There is a large scrapbooking show held in northern Virginia each year that I have been to a couple of times. A group of us went up a couple of years but none of them are scrapping anymore. I haven't been on my own because I don't think it would be as much fun. I also don't really need anything. I turned my porch into a scrapbook room about 10 years ago. Every inch of space is taken up (some has actually creeped into my living room) and I am not letting myself buy anything until I use up significant amounts of what I have. I make most of my own cards. I was in a Stampin' Up club for a couple of years and have a ton of rubber stamps.

Deb, tell us more about your crafting cruise. I've always wanted to do something like that.

Kathi

Kathi, isn't it amazing how scrapping supplies are like rabbits - everything keeps multiplying, over-running the place!

I did go to Scrapfest on my own this year and enjoyed myself immensely especially having a hotel room all to myself for a night. Met a new friend at one of the classes and enjoyed speaking with other scrappers at make n' takes or while grabbing a bite to eat. Pick up some good ideas from talking to others. Don't think one is as likely to do that if they go with a friend(s). If the choice is going solo or not at all, I do the former.

I hear you about trying to use up your stash before buying anything else. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to stick to that rule. :D:D:D

I hear you about trying to use up your stash before buying anything else. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to stick to that rule. :D:D:D

Sandy,

It is a little bit easier not having a LSS. We have a Hobby Lobby, A.C. Moore, and Michael's but they tend to have the same things every time I go and, of course, nowhere near the amount of goods that a LSS would have.

Just checked and the Great American Scrapbook Convention is only going to be in two places this year - Texas and North Carolina. So I guess I won't be going to that. If CK has one nearby I might go to that.

I would still love to do a scrapbooking cruise but like you only take a few supplies and pictures.

Kathi

Okay ladies - just spent 3 hours shopping at the show. Tim Holtz and Jenni Bowlin are there along with hundreds maybe a thousand or so women and a few token males. Lots of layouts for cruising (generic, of course). Talked with a number of ladies but didn't find anyone that took a cruise with a group dedicated to scrap/paper/stamping.

I found a neat journal kit with a cruise theme at Embelish It! (http://www.embellishonline.com) - they happen to be sponsoring a scrapbooking cruise in 2014 using the TA that I'm using. They have worked together in the past and the ladies always have a lot of fun.

The cruise I'm taking is crafting like things you would see on Pintrest. Supposed to walk off the ship with about 20 gifts for the holidays. As of right now all I have to bring is a basic tool kit, but final supply list will be available closer to sailing.

Oh by the way no new greatest latest tool/product introduction at this show - so used those pennies you've been savin' for a scrapbooking cruise. I'll keep ya posted with details as I find out.

Happy scrapin' n crusin'

Deba