Scrapbooking for Cruising?

RozWazowski

Okay ladies - just spent 3 hours shopping at the show. Tim Holtz and Jenni Bowlin are there along with hundreds maybe a thousand or so women and a few token males. Lots of layouts for cruising (generic, of course). Talked with a number of ladies but didn't find anyone that took a cruise with a group dedicated to scrap/paper/stamping.

I found a neat journal kit with a cruise theme at Embelish It! (www.embellishonline.com) - they happen to be sponsoring a scrapbooking cruise in 2014 using the TA that I'm using. They have worked together in the past and the ladies always have a lot of fun.

The cruise I'm taking is crafting like things you would see on Pintrest. Supposed to walk off the ship with about 20 gifts for the holidays. As of right now all I have to bring is a basic tool kit, but final supply list will be available closer to sailing.

Oh by the way no new greatest latest tool/product introduction at this show - so used those pennies you've been savin' for a scrapbooking cruise. I'll keep ya posted with details as I find out.

Happy scrapin' n crusin'

Deba

Sounds like you had a good day. I'm glad there are no new tools as I am a sucker for them.:eek:

• 3 weeks later...

I have an entire room in my home dedicated to my scrapbooking and music. I feel like I have an entire scrapbook store in my house. But, what I want to say is that over the past couple of years, I've started doing more DIGITAL scrapbooking. I'm planning to do digital books for our cruise coming up in 3 weeks (our first cruise).

So, I intend to take pictures of EVERYTHING that I might want to include in the scrapbook. The nice thing about digital is that you can crop images to include only the portion you want without spending any money on printing and such.

I know some prefer to do the real "hands on" scrapbooking. I do too. But digital is a great alternative!!

Deba....is it the CRUISIN' Adventure Album Kit that you got? If it is, it looks super. Did you get a chance to talk with Tim. I know a couple of women who took two of his cruises and had an absolute ball as well as coming home with amazing projects and product. I had looked at his Artful Adventures in Tuscany this fall but it was very expensive and not on a ship.

Has anyone looked at this cruise?

Scrap & Paper Caribbean Cruise

8-Day: The Ultimate Creative Adventure

September 28 - October 5, 2013

Join Creating Keepsakes & Paper Crafts Magazine along with Scrapmap founder, Jim West on this craft-tastic cruise in the Caribbean!

Here's the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.scrapmap.com/tours/caribbean_0913.html

Wish I could go but planning a much needed kitchen reno and our son is getting married in December so maybe next year.

Participated in a sidewalk sale at a LSS on the weekend and managed to unload some extra supplies and have a few $ now to put towards an eBosser or update my Silhouette to a Cameo. Does anyone else like to use dies like Spellbinders on their scrapbook layouts?

zrxchic - I hear you about having a "store" in your crafting room. It is amazing how easy it is to accumulate supplies. Do you do any hybrid scrapbooking to include both digital and paper?

Wishing all of you south of the border a Happy Memorial Day!

Sandy :)

Yep, that's the album.

Too many of Tim's fans in line. I should have taken my camera with me, but I was a woman on a mission - knew what I wanted and how much I could spend. A number of exhibitors prohibited pictures due to copyrights. I'll look into that show you were talking about in Aug, since it's less than 20 miles from home.

I did see the cruise that you were mentioning. I did look into that one but the Cruise and Crop one seemed like a better fit. Similar P, P & P - ports, projects & price, it came down to timing and cruise line. I hope I made the right choice, I've sailed with Princess and HAL in the past.

Deb

Hi guys - I am another keen scrapbooker, I tend to use digital scrapbooking for cruises, and a combination of traditional and digital for my family scrapbooks.

Like many others, I keep everything from cruising, scan the items I want to have on display and put the original documents in the pockets behind each scrapbook page. So for each days entry there will be a copy of the daily ships activities paper, an electronic news sheet printout, the menu for evening meal and anything else that I have collected!

Over here in the UK, scrapbooking has also started to decline and is not as popular as it used to be, but I don't need much, even when I am doing traditional scapbooks, as I can make background paper and embellishments digitally and print them out. And I like to use large size students ring binders instead of albums - this way I can have lots of pages each in their own plastic wallets, so only one album needed per cruise. And I decorate the front of the ring binder with photos, embellishments, lace and other materials so its pretty to look at too.

Happy Scrapping, and Happy Cruising to all !!! :):):)

Hi guys - I am another keen scrapbooker, I tend to use digital scrapbooking for cruises, and a combination of traditional and digital for my family scrapbooks.

Like many others, I keep everything from cruising, scan the items I want to have on display and put the original documents in the pockets behind each scrapbook page. So for each days entry there will be a copy of the daily ships activities paper, an electronic news sheet printout, the menu for evening meal and anything else that I have collected!

Over here in the UK, scrapbooking has also started to decline and is not as popular as it used to be, but I don't need much, even when I am doing traditional scapbooks, as I can make background paper and embellishments digitally and print them out. And I like to use large size students ring binders instead of albums - this way I can have lots of pages each in their own plastic wallets, so only one album needed per cruise. And I decorate the front of the ring binder with photos, embellishments, lace and other materials so its pretty to look at too.

Happy Scrapping, and Happy Cruising to all !!! :):):)

Greetings, Amberchicken....it's nice to hear from someone across the pond. We took a Princess cruise around the UK last year at this time and spent a week in London prior to the cruise. Doesn't matter where I travel to I always do research for scrapbooking stores and the UK was no different. The only place I found was Blade Rubber Stamps just around the corner from the British Museum. Thankfully it wasn't far from our hotel, so managed to take a peak. One of our ship's excursions took us into Llangollen, Wales. When we got off the bus to walk into town, lo and behold there was a scrapbooking store. It's called Crafter's Cove. Could only spend 10 minutes in the store, unfortunately, but still managed to buy a few things. ;)

If could easily do this cruise again and see different things. The UK is a wonderful place to explore.

Hey Northern Light,

I found Blade Rubber Stamps when I was in London last March. I scrapbook in Toronto and visit the Scrapfest in Kitchener! I also spend a weekend at Younique in August ( before going back to teaching). We are cruising in one month! and I'm trying to figure out what my basic tool kit will be for the cruise. Two days at sea,,,,,two days to scrapbook!

Hey Northern Light,

I found Blade Rubber Stamps when I was in London last March. I scrapbook in Toronto and visit the Scrapfest in Kitchener! I also spend a weekend at Younique in August ( before going back to teaching). We are cruising in one month! and I'm trying to figure out what my basic tool kit will be for the cruise. Two days at sea,,,,,two days to scrapbook!

Hi tiggerlvr....always happy to talk to another scrapbooker in Toronto. I'm a retired OA with the TDSB. Which board are you with?

While I have come across others scrapbooking in the pool area, don't think I would have time. We play trivia and I'll maybe take a class or go to a lecture and always head down for afternoon tea. I try to journal but only mildly successful in that endeavour as there is always something to do. I was in Dollarama yesterday and picked up a clear plastic document holder with a slide seal - 14" x 10 1/4" as well as smaller ones with holes to fit into a binder - 9" x 11" excluding the side with the holes. I thought they would be great to take on a cruise to hold all the paper I manage to accumulate on a voyage. They are very light weight and no bulk so would pack well.

Sometime soon I would to spend at weekend at Younique. A scrapping friend and I keep looking at it but life always seems to get in the way. The owner had been ill so wonder how that will impact her business.

Did you take any classes at Scrapfest? Will you be going in October?

You are welcome (and anyone else on this thread) to email me: soaring2005 at yahoo dot ca

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Hi everyone,

Saw this thread and had to have a read and post.

I am a mad crafter. Have made jewellery and cards for years and finally got a crafting room when we moved house.

I had never scrapbooks until a random sea day on the celebrity millennium and now I am hooked. Any cruise of their's I am on that I see a "scrapbooking at sea" in the daily I am there front and centre and have got a nice little collection going now.

Sadly I think it is harder to find scrapbook ing items, especially cruise themed ones In the UK than places like the US, but I am always on the look out.

I will be keeping my eyes peeled on our next cruise for any scrapbooking sessions. Hopefully with about 8 sea days there will be a few ;)

Gemma

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
For those of you who love both crafting and scrapbooking Allure OTS has a designated space called the workshop with both scheduled classes and open time for all to be creative. They offer jewelry and scrapbook sessions and its a pleasantly decorated room with supplies galore.

I went there with the intent of just gluing some things into my Smashbook but ended up buying a SB packet for $10.00 because I wanted to support the program so that future RC ships will include the same space . The instructor was working with a couple of passengers on an impromtu jewelry session but stopped and grabbed me all kinds of supplies from the storage cabinets as well as showing me how to use their die-cut machine. I could have used all of these items without even purchasing the packet. Needless to say I loved the concept of a creative space.

I also found the Card Room which was much closer to our cabin to be another great space for creating. It was rarely used so I could set up my self-contained space with minimal supplies and do my thing.

Here's some pics of the Workshop...

DSCI1246-S.jpg

DSCI1243-S.jpg

DSCI1249-S.jpg

DSCI1250-S.jpg

DSCI1247-S.jpg

DSCI1240-S.jpg

where is this located at on the ship?

The Workshop is located on Deck 14 forward at the entrance to the kid's area. Its a wonderful space! All ships should have a designated craft area like Oasis and Allure.

I'm still annoyed at the quality of my pics. I was learning to use the camera and had it on the wrong setting so they are too dark. Hopefully you get the idea of what a nice area it is.

Edited by seeshore

• 1 month later...

I've done 3 cruise scrapbooks now- but my last one was my first all digital one- I've made the switch and love it- I'm hoping that I can get most of the next cruise down while at sea (lots of sea days). I still collect everything I can to scan and turn into PNG files (digital stickers). I have a 12 X 12 divided folder I take with me to protect everything and keeps everything divided by days or stops.

I've done 3 cruise scrapbooks now- but my last one was my first all digital one- I've made the switch and love it- I'm hoping that I can get most of the next cruise down while at sea (lots of sea days). I still collect everything I can to scan and turn into PNG files (digital stickers). I have a 12 X 12 divided folder I take with me to protect everything and keeps everything divided by days or stops.

Congratulations! I have about 6000 pieces of paper and a gazillion stickers to use up before I can even think of going digital!:D

Oh I still have a metric ton of papers, stickers etc- now I tell myself that I can scan them for digital papers and let my kids use them for art projects. If I hadn't made the switch to digital I would probably still end up collecting more papers faster then I can use them- now at least my newest purchases take up very little physical space, and I can reuse them, change colors and I never run out of the perfect papers at 3am!