Scrapbooking for Cruising?

RozWazowski

I recently discovered I am a scrapbook addict. I have only completed one (wedding scrapbook) but I have already purchased a scrapbook "box" and paper for the next project. :D:D:D

Looking for tips as we are also "new" to cruising and have no idea what really lies in store...

What do you keep and put in your books? What do I need to keep my eyes pealed for and any suggestions would be great!

Here's a link to the "box book" I have for my cruise ... I got the box b/c I figured it would hold more bulky items, but I really have no idea.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-3-Ring-Frame-12x12-Scrapbook/dp/B003THWRVG/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1337077881&sr=8-16

• 2 weeks later...
I recently discovered I am a scrapbook addict. I have only completed one (wedding scrapbook) but I have already purchased a scrapbook "box" and paper for the next project. :D:D:D

Looking for tips as we are also "new" to cruising and have no idea what really lies in store...

What do you keep and put in your books? What do I need to keep my eyes pealed for and any suggestions would be great!

Here's a link to the "box book" I have for my cruise ... I got the box b/c I figured it would hold more bulky items, but I really have no idea.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-3-Ring-Frame-12x12-Scrapbook/dp/B003THWRVG/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1337077881&sr=8-16

I LOVE those albums. My favorite!!! Here are a couple websites that I like to get my scrapping stuff from.....

tropicalscrapbooking.com

scrapyourtrip.com

• 3 weeks later...

Collect anything that has the name of your ship, dates, and destinations on it, like the newsletters that you'll receive ever evening for the next day. Your cruise card works great on the first page of a scrapbook and take a ton of pics, especially if you have a digital camera then you can just print out the ones you want to use.

If you go to Michaels or Joann's they'll have scrapbook sheets that have nautical backgrounds on them. A few years ago Princess sold scrapbook packages with paper, stickers, etc. It was cute but expensive. If you're interested, check to see if your ship sells the same thing.

I have gone on 2 cruises before and KEPT EVERYTHING. I use napkins, brochures (from excursions and the cruise line), postcards from ports daily planners, and, of course, I take tons of pictures:) Good luck and have fun!!!:D

I've cropped two of my 12 cruises, and started on the third. (I know, I'm way behind, but hey - the first one took so long with all the tilt details, you know?:p)

As people have said, I keep EVERYTHING.

Here's a sample of suggestions:

daily newsletter/patter/whatever they want to call it

port guide from ship

maps/port guide from shore

napkins with ship name

ship map

room key card

airline boarding pass

postcards from ports - collect some, and mail some, and scrap the mailed ones as well

postcard with ship picture (oops - forgot to look for that on my last cruise on the Golden!)

wristbands from excursions - or other tickets, maps, etc.

sample coins from foreign ports (often available in Caribbean islands by asking local vendors to exchange some coins for $1)

As well as all your photos (and I recommend digital as well), that's what comes to mind. Welcome to the cult of scrapbooking!

Lot's of great ideas! Does anyone know (or do) ATC (artist trading cards) exchanges on cruises? It seems like it would be a fun thing to do & great way to meet people, maybe during tea on a sea day? Would anyone know how to put something like that together?

I scrapbook all our family vacations. I am a little behind in scrapbooking and have to go back to 2007. I have Creative Memories Passport tapestry scrapbooks that will be handed down to my nieces or nephews to perserve.

I usually keep my room card and the itinierary. Other things could be tickets to get into Magens Bay and any other ticket stubs. I keep everything in a zip lock bag. It's easier to throw out after if you decide not to use it. I will usually buy the "getting on board" picture along with the others if they look good. The pictures have gotten very expensive. I will sometimes use postcards to if there is something that I want to capture.

I love this website - www.scrapyourtrip.com They will have custom papers that you can make special die cuts or papers. I have had 12x12 paper made up with a saying and used that. I have made other "special" die cuts. You wont be disappointed with this website. Michaels and Joann fabrics is ok. Hobby Lobby is ok also. I used to like Archivers but not any more. I don't like their paper.

I wish there was some way on here that you can contact someone and I could share some of my ideas. I will also go to websites to look and print them out and keep them in a notebook. Let your imagination run wild and just have fun.

Lot's of great ideas! Does anyone know (or do) ATC (artist trading cards) exchanges on cruises? It seems like it would be a fun thing to do & great way to meet people, maybe during tea on a sea day? Would anyone know how to put something like that together?

This sounds like a fabulous idea. Everyone who participates could make an ATC reflective of where they come from to exchange with others. I always ask in our roll call if anyone scrapbooks or does rubber stamping but never receive much in the way of replies. It always surprises me because there are always lot of people who head down to the "free" scrapbooking class. Guess they just aren't on CC. Next cruise I think I will ask if anyone makes ATCs.

Do you know about the roll calls? This would be the place to organize an exchange. I like the idea of exchanging ATCs at tea on a sea day.

Sandy :)

Edited by Northern Light

This sounds like a fabulous idea. Everyone who participates could make an ATC reflective of where they come from to exchange with others. I always ask in our roll call if anyone scrapbooks or does rubber stamping but never receive much in the way of replies. It always surprises me because there are always lot of people who head down to the "free" scrapbooking class. Guess they just aren't on CC. Next cruise I think I will ask if anyone makes ATCs.

Do you know about the roll calls? This would be the place to organize an exchange. I like the idea of exchanging ATCs at tea on a sea day.

I do know about the roll calls. I started one, but no one has joined yet. I think it would be so much fun to meet new people to exchange with!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a first time cruiser and new to scapbooking also. I've done scrapbook guest books for friends (baby showers, birthdays, etc.) but this will be the first one I've done for myself.

I started right after we booked our cruise in April. We are cruising POA to Hawaii in Sept. So far I have "pre-done" most of the pages to try to get a head start. I've been to Michaels and Hobby Lobby to gather travel and cruise related papers and 3-d stickers. I signed up with Hawaii's tourism site and received lots of magazines and post cards which I will incorporate into our books with the things we collect on the cruise, excursions and photos etc.

Love the tips that have been posted on here so far!

So I've decided, after posting on the Princess board that I'm going to try & organize an ATC class. I have all the supplies anyone could ever want (great way to spring clean the craft room), so I'm going to put together ATC kits & see if I can spread the word. It's something that would be strictly for free & for fun. I figure if the cruise line doesn't have a class then maybe they'll let me create one. So I have a Bon Voyage Experience in 2 weeks on the Sea Princess & I'm going to see who I can talk to, to get it organized for my cruise in May on The Grand. With several sea days, it'll be the perfect cruise to have a class or two!

I'm a first time cruiser and new to scapbooking also. I've done scrapbook guest books for friends (baby showers, birthdays, etc.) but this will be the first one I've done for myself.

I started right after we booked our cruise in April. We are cruising POA to Hawaii in Sept. So far I have "pre-done" most of the pages to try to get a head start. I've been to Michaels and Hobby Lobby to gather travel and cruise related papers and 3-d stickers. I signed up with Hawaii's tourism site and received lots of magazines and post cards which I will incorporate into our books with the things we collect on the cruise, excursions and photos etc.

Love the tips that have been posted on here so far!

Sounds like you super organized. You might want to post a message in the NCL forum to find out what kinds of scrapbooking kits they have on board since POA just circles the islands I believe, and might have something interesting to purchase on-board. The following is a link to a scrapbooking store in Hawaii which is also on-line. The second link is another on-line store for travel papers and embellishments.

http://www.islandpaperie.com/

http://www.scrapyourtrip.com/generaltravel.html

I only know of these sites because of research as I am hoping to get to Hawaii for a land trip and a visit to Island Paperie is on my agenda. While the second site has wonderful papers and embellishments, unfortunately their ridiculous mailing charges to send an order to Canada means I will never order from them I'm sad to say.:(

Scrapbooking is a wonderful way to record your memories of a cruise and don't forget to do some journalling, keep your airline tickets, etc. Cruising is just as addictive as scrapbooking is, so enjoy!! :D

Sandy

So I've decided, after posting on the Princess board that I'm going to try & organize an ATC class. I have all the supplies anyone could ever want (great way to spring clean the craft room), so I'm going to put together ATC kits & see if I can spread the word. It's something that would be strictly for free & for fun. I figure if the cruise line doesn't have a class then maybe they'll let me create one. So I have a Bon Voyage Experience in 2 weeks on the Sea Princess & I'm going to see who I can talk to, to get it organized for my cruise in May on The Grand. With several sea days, it'll be the perfect cruise to have a class or two!

I will be very curious to see what response you get from the cruiseline. If you decide just to organize something thru your roll call, contact Princess so you can arrange a meeting area. If you send me an email, I can give you the name of the onboard services person to contact at Princess who looks after the Sea Princess. She should also be able to give you the name for the person looking after the Grand.

Sandy - soaring2005 at yahoo dot ca

I will be very curious to see what response you get from the cruiseline. If you decide just to organize something thru your roll call, contact Princess so you can arrange a meeting area. If you send me an email, I can give you the name of the onboard services person to contact at Princess who looks after the Sea Princess. She should also be able to give you the name for the person looking after the Grand.

Sandy - soaring2005 at yahoo dot ca

Well, some people on the princess thread were talking about how people organize knitting type get togethers (where it's unhosted & they just give you a space and an announcement in the patter) so I thought if it's done as a scrapbook get together then maybe. Of course if I can get people in my roll call excited, it will be the way to go. but I'd appreciate any help. That is so sweet of you to e-mail some info!! :D Here's my e-mail & I look forward to hearing from you! cellyml12@yahoo.com

Well, some people on the princess thread were talking about how people organize knitting type get togethers (where it's unhosted & they just give you a space and an announcement in the patter) so I thought if it's done as a scrapbook get together then maybe. Of course if I can get people in my roll call excited, it will be the way to go. but I'd appreciate any help. That is so sweet of you to e-mail some info!! :D Here's my e-mail & I look forward to hearing from you! cellyml12@yahoo.com

Email has been sent to you so please post if you don't receive it.

I didn't receive it. :(

I checked my sent mail and the address was as you posted and I didn't receive an "undelivered notification", so not sure what happened. :confused: Any chance my email could have ended up in your spam or junk folder? I've sent the email again and the subject line says Princess Contact Info. Keep your fingers crossed that it works this time.

Thanks for the info Northern Light! If I get a chance while we are in port I will try to stop by the store. I looked at the online stuff and a lot of it is similar to most of the stuff I found at Michaels and Hobby Lobby.

• 1 month later...

Last year on Solstice they did a scrapbooking class on sea days - it was great fun and well attended. They gave you a mini scrapbook to make and take away free of charge. Just one downside though - it was quite a choppy sea day and I found after an hour of looking down at close work I felt decidedly queasy so had to go and have a walk round the deck in the wind and rain for an hour and look at the far horizon (did the trick I might add).

Sounds like you super organized. You might want to post a message in the NCL forum to find out what kinds of scrapbooking kits they have on board since POA just circles the islands I believe, and might have something interesting to purchase on-board.

My BF went to pick up the last of our pictures the last night of the cruise and came back with their scrapbook kit! I think it was around $17 and was LOADED with lots of great stuff. Plus we also got a picture of the ship that showed the islands, information about Hawaii and the route we took.

I look gallon sized ziplock bags (one for every day of the trip) so that I can dump everything for that day into at the end of the day. Worked out great. Helped really keep everything sorted. As soon as I decide which pictures to print (we took over 1,500 between the two of us)

• 3 months later...

I prefer to do online photo books of cruises. I can scan just about anything into a jpg file. If I tried cutting and pasting, it would look like the kindergarten class went nutszoid!:D

Love Mixbook.com. Shutterfly is good, too.

• 1 month later...

I love www.scrapmytrip.com. It's a great website.

Definitely keep a journal. I always like to write down what we have for dinner every night. I also take along 3 big manila envelopes. One is for the nightly newsletter, one is for any photos I buy on the ship and the other is for other miscellaneous things I want to save for the scrapbooks.

I've completed 16 cruise scrapbooks over the years. Here's a link to one of mine to give you an idea of what I do:

http://marinerscrapbook.shutterfly.com/

• 4 weeks later...
I love www.scrapmytrip.com. It's a great website.

Definitely keep a journal. I always like to write down what we have for dinner every night. I also take along 3 big manila envelopes. One is for the nightly newsletter, one is for any photos I buy on the ship and the other is for other miscellaneous things I want to save for the scrapbooks.

I've completed 16 cruise scrapbooks over the years. Here's a link to one of mine to give you an idea of what I do:

http://marinerscrapbook.shutterfly.com/

Love your pages. You have beautiful handwriting. If I tried to write a whole page I would end up making a mistake and have to start over again. I so enjoy scrapping a cruise but usually end up with a huge album - I have editing issues and want to include everything!