What is happening to Explorer in Sept 2013?

I got to be honest I wasn't understanding what was going on in this thread but now that I saw that PDF of Portland Maine port, its very strange. Looks like things changed and no one knows why. Hmm interesting puzzle you have here.

I'm a bit annoyed about this too. I spent what must've been well over half-an-hour on the phone with RC this morning, communicating to the Revenue Dept through a customer service rep. I was *assured* that the 3 Bermuda cruises in question would be reopened for booking in approximately 1-2 weeks. I was also *assured* that the Revenue Dept didn't disclose to the customer service representative the reason for it being withdrawn from booking. I asked if friends of ours could book and was told no new booking can be accepted as pricing is also coming up as "NA" in their systems. They can however see existing bookings and the cruises are showing in their inventory. Just no pricing.

Yep .... so many stories! It's maddening.

Alma

I'm a bit annoyed about this too. I spent what must've been well over half-an-hour on the phone with RC this morning, communicating to the Revenue Dept through a customer service rep. I was *assured* that the 3 Bermuda cruises in question would be reopened for booking in approximately 1-2 weeks. I was also *assured* that the Revenue Dept didn't disclose to the customer service representative the reason for it being withdrawn from booking. I asked if friends of ours could book and was told no new booking can be accepted as pricing is also coming up as "NA" in their systems. They can however see existing bookings and the cruises are showing in their inventory. Just no pricing.

Yep .... so many stories! It's maddening.

Alma

I think I'll be taking the Britain Sampler tour offered by Globus Journeys. I was all set to leave on this tour 2 years ago when the volcano blew. Maybe Sept 2013 is the time to do it! I'll get to see London again, as well as northern England, and Scotland. I just found out it's bookable mid-June, so I don't have long to wait.

I've lost my patience with RCCL.

Linda

To add to my last ... it would appear from the Portland port schedule, they're going to switch the itinerary from Bermuda to New England. Wish they would just let us THE PASSENGERS know!

Alma

That's a pretty big switch. I'm still hoping that the Bermuda will happen. The only other ship going to Bermuda then, is the NCL Breakaway. All the other sailing from the NY area are going north.

That's a pretty big switch. I'm still hoping that the Bermuda will happen. The only other ship going to Bermuda then, is the NCL Breakaway. All the other sailing from the NY area are going north.

I think the Explorer will do Bermuda.

Look at the dates they don't make sense, they have some ships there every other day. Look at the Brilliance schedule.

The Explorer does go to Portland on Sept. 3rd that's it.

Do not cancel

Was just taking a look at the Portland 2013 berthing schedule, and the entries for Explorer for 9/3/13, 9/10/13 abd 9/27/13 all have a "booked" date on them of 3/30/12. I'm interpreting this to mean that RC booked the Portland Maine berths on 3/30/12. We booked Explorer-Bermuda on 4/24/12 - more than 3 weeks after the Portland berth "booking". Odd ... very odd.

Not knowing what the end result will be is killing me!

Alma

• 2 weeks later...
That's what happens when you rush to do something. Sorry

I leave on the Explorer this coming Thursday will try and get some information.

Dick

Dick, did you find anything out on your recent cruise?

Mike

3 weeks looks like it might be going to dry dock ahead of time. Maybe they found a spot in September next year and that the ship couldn't wait till Dec 2014. Time will tell. 3 weeks looks like a lot of time for a ship to be chartered.

3 weeks looks like it might be going to dry dock ahead of time. Maybe they found a spot in September next year and that the ship couldn't wait till Dec 2014. Time will tell. 3 weeks looks like a lot of time for a ship to be chartered.

A few days ago when I called again, the rep looked up the dry dock schedule. It used to say late 2014; it now says 2013-2014, date unspecified. So I think you are correct.

Linda

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this to see if anyone has any new information. I called again this evening, but the status still is "new bookings closed due to inventory maintenance". I mentioned the rumors of early dry dock but was told the schedule still shows 2014. I also mentioned that Portland, Maine's published berthing schedule shows Explorer docking in Portland during the weeks 9/8/13, 9/15/13 and 9/22/13 but they had no information that the ship was being redirected to New England.

So ... despite several escalations to the Revenue Department, they're still not in a position to release any information. I'm trying really, really hard to be patient, but they're holding deposits from passengers for 3 separate cruises that have been in N/A status now for nearly 2 months and I'm more than a little irked! :mad: Anyone heard anything new?

Alma

Bumping this to see if anyone has any new information. I called again this evening, but the status still is "new bookings closed due to inventory maintenance". I mentioned the rumors of early dry dock but was told the schedule still shows 2014. I also mentioned that Portland, Maine's published berthing schedule shows Explorer docking in Portland during the weeks 9/8/13, 9/15/13 and 9/22/13 but they had no information that the ship was being redirected to New England.

So ... despite several escalations to the Revenue Department, they're still not in a position to release any information. I'm trying really, really hard to be patient, but they're holding deposits from passengers for 3 separate cruises that have been in N/A status now for nearly 2 months and I'm more than a little irked! :mad: Anyone heard anything new?

Alma

This is one odd story. I'm not involved but I am still curious as to what is going on. What an odd, odd story.

I sent an email to Adam Goldstein's (RCCL CEO) complaint dept last week and got a call from a woman this past Monday who said she will investigate it and let me know. Yesterday (Friday) I left her a message and have yet heard anything so as soon as I do, I will post what I hear. My friends who never cruised on RCCL before (6 cruises on HAL) are now booking Explorer in March 2013 so I may be moving soon.

Mike

I too have been freaked out about the site showing N/A! I was originally booked on the September 8, 2013 cruise so I just switched it to the September 29, 2013 sailing. I don't want to have to worry about it for the next year. Did anyone notice that the diagram of the ships decks do not show up so that you can choose a cabin by location?

I sent an email to Adam Goldstein's (RCCL CEO) complaint dept last week and got a call from a woman this past Monday who said she will investigate it and let me know. Yesterday (Friday) I left her a message and have yet heard anything so as soon as I do, I will post what I hear. My friends who never cruised on RCCL before (6 cruises on HAL) are now booking Explorer in March 2013 so I may be moving soon.

Mike

Please do Mike ... that would be really helpful! Thanks!

You're correct, cruise timetables lists the sailings - but they are also listed as N/A, similarly to Royal Caribbean's website. All the sites that feed from Royal Caribbean's databases apparently show the three sailings in question, but show them as N/A.

Alma

I just got off the phone with the Executive Resolution Dept at RCCL and the Rep told me that there will be an announcement to all booked passengers on the three cruises that are currently showing N/A for Sept 2013 sometime this week. She would not tell me what is going on but she did indicate that it will be some kind of a change in itinerary. Some of the rumors I have heard were these three cruises were going to change to a Canada/NE cruise. I mentioned that to her but she would not confirm that but said that RCCL is working with ports to determine what the itinerary will be. She did say all affected passengers will be offered some compensation for the change that may occur.

More to follow.

Mike

I just got off the phone with the Executive Resolution Dept at RCCL and the Rep told me that there will be an announcement to all booked passengers on the three cruises that are currently showing N/A for Sept 2013 sometime this week. She would not tell me what is going on but she did indicate that it will be some kind of a change in itinerary. Some of the rumors I have heard were these three cruises were going to change to a Canada/NE cruise. I mentioned that to her but she would not confirm that but said that RCCL is working with ports to determine what the itinerary will be. She did say all affected passengers will be offered some compensation for the change that may occur.

More to follow.

Mike

Good digging, good info, interesting info. I mean based on that I would say there is a good chance they will be converted to Canada/NE cruises. Working with ports sounds like they are changing itinerary. My question is, has RCCL or any other cruise line changed 3 cruises around like this?

Archived