What is happening to Explorer in Sept 2013?

Thanks for the info. I gave up on calling. I wonder what they will give us as compensation. Did she say if we would receive a call or email?

She didn't say how we would be contacted, we have a TA (my wife's sister) who will most likely be the one contacted for my cruise. No idea on how much, others who had similar experiences have received between $50 and $200 depending on the circumstances and issues they had to deal with.

Mike

It was really very kind of you to post that information Mike. Although I'm sure many will be disappointed to hear of an itinerary change (which seems certain from the information you were given), I for one will be really happy to know once and for all it's a no-go. I can then have the fun task of letting our travelling companions (first time cruisers) know. That's going to be the really difficult part! :)

Hope the "official" word goes out soon ... :)

Thanks again Mike!

Alma

To anyone that had this cruise booked, I would say give Canada/NE a chance. Its my favorite cruise ever, on Explorer too. Beautiful parts of the the US and Canada you see. Really beautiful, interesting and historic ports, and towns. We just LOVED this cruise, we were disappointed when Explorer stopped doing this cruise. You might want to give it a shot.

To anyone that had this cruise booked, I would say give Canada/NE a chance. Its my favorite cruise ever, on Explorer too. Beautiful parts of the the US and Canada you see. Really beautiful, interesting and historic ports, and towns. We just LOVED this cruise, we were disappointed when Explorer stopped doing this cruise. You might want to give it a shot.

You are very correct. Boston, Maine and Quebec are places to remember. Expecially late September, early October.

• 3 weeks later...
Good digging, good info, interesting info. I mean based on that I would say there is a good chance they will be converted to Canada/NE cruises. Working with ports sounds like they are changing itinerary. My question is, has RCCL or any other cruise line changed 3 cruises around like this?

Hi MikeB ... any news? I've not heard anything. This is beginning to really get me down! Explorer to Bermuda on 9/8/13 has been in N/A status (inventory maintenance) for nearly 2 and half months now! I wish they'd just make a decision one way or the other ... Bermuda or New England ... and let booked passengers know! I'm really shocked that they've kept us all "hanging" like this for so many weeks. I'm quite miserable about it! :confused: My friends have to lock in their vacation at work next month. I'm getting sooo frustrated!!! :mad:

Alma

Alma

I just got off the phone with the Executive Resolution Dept at RCCL and the Rep told me that there will be an announcement to all booked passengers on the three cruises that are currently showing N/A for Sept 2013 sometime this week. She would not tell me what is going on but she did indicate that it will be some kind of a change in itinerary. Some of the rumors I have heard were these three cruises were going to change to a Canada/NE cruise. I mentioned that to her but she would not confirm that but said that RCCL is working with ports to determine what the itinerary will be. She did say all affected passengers will be offered some compensation for the change that may occur.

More to follow.

Mike

My post above was in response to this one from Mikeb123. I quoted on the incorrect posting - sorry.

Exactly, but they've been in N/A status for over 2 months. Meaning "inventory maintenance" - i.e. closed for new bookings. You'll see there's no pricing on the website.

Alma

I stand corrected. The reservation page does show prices for these 4 Bermuda cruises. But, I tried to book one of them and it came up an October cruise. That sailing is very messed up.

I hope for all of you booked or hoping to book it gets straightened out soon.

I called back the women who I spoke with several weeks ago again this past monday and she said the person who she was working with in the itinerary department is on vacation this week so she will see if anyone else can explain what is taking so long to post the updates to these cruise itinerary's. I am certain the intinerary will change but who knows when. There is a C&A savings certificate for the Bermuda cruise on Sept 29 in the recent C&A newsletter. My plans are to wait until this one changes and they offer the OBC to move and then apply the C&A savings certificate since I have an inside room and that is the only savings I would get. It will save me $75 plus whatever they give us for the changes. Who knows, we will see, maybe we will hear something in the next few weeks but one never knows with RCCL.

Mike

I just heard from the RCCL customer service center that I emailed with questions about the cruises that show NA in Sept 2013 who states that the cruise has been officially cancelled and will be rescheduled for another itinerary and we should be hearing from the department responsible for these issues soon (no exact time line given). No other info given other than I just need to wait and they will call to make amends for the cancellation of the cruise. I assume the same will be happening to the other dates for Explorer in September 2013 that also state "NA".

Mike

Thanks Mike for the update! I wrote a "stern" note to Mr. Goldstein over the weekend myself. Even though they haven't provided us with ALL the information, at least they've provided something which at least eliminates some of the speculation. Thanks again and keep us posted if you hear anything additional - as will I.

Alma

We've cruised New England on the Explorer every year since 2007. They usually cruise NE all Sept and first week or two in Oct. This year, ONE cruise 8/31! Not prime leaf peeping time. RCI basically gave away the New England cruise business out of NY NJ to NCL, Princess, HAL, Disney and Carnival. We were amazed and now they may be changing itineraries.:confused: You would think this had been thought out before so many already booked and had their hearts set on Bermuda. But if NE opens up in Sept or Oct, may be on our agenda. Just seems like a real mess for everybody to do this as an itinerary change.

I just noticed on the "My Cruises" area of RCI's website that my Bermuda reservation for 9/8/2013 has disappeared! When I do a search, I get the message "Exception from Receiving Voyage Value From Cache". My sailing (9/8/13) no longer shows up on the website. So it looks like 9/8/13 has been cancelled. P.S. No notification to passengers as of yet about it being cancelled!

The other two sailings which have been in NA status for the past 11 weeks, along with 9/8/13 (9/15/13 and 9/22/13), are still in NA status. I guess those'll be the next ones to meet their maker!

Curiouser and curiouser! LOL! :)

Alma

We've cruised New England on the Explorer every year since 2007. They usually cruise NE all Sept and first week or two in Oct. This year, ONE cruise 8/31! Not prime leaf peeping time. RCI basically gave away the New England cruise business out of NY NJ to NCL, Princess, HAL, Disney and Carnival. We were amazed and now they may be changing itineraries.:confused: You would think this had been thought out before so many already booked and had their hearts set on Bermuda. But if NE opens up in Sept or Oct, may be on our agenda. Just seems like a real mess for everybody to do this as an itinerary change.

Yes except for 8/31/13, all the NE sailings are either out of Baltimore or Boston. Maybe you'll get lucky! Stay tuned! :)

Could it be due to a possible Royal Advantage Enhancements to the Explorer instead of updated itinerary?? I know that Explorer was originally scheduled to get these updates in 2014 but who knows??

I hope everything works out for you...a different itinerary would be much better than losing the sailing to drydock or charter. Our spring break cruise on Voyager was chartered a few years back and we got booted. Their ideas of 'compensation' didn't work for us either. :( Hope you get some answers soon!

I just noticed on the "My Cruises" area of RCI's website that my Bermuda reservation for 9/8/2013 has disappeared! When I do a search, I get the message "Exception from Receiving Voyage Value From Cache". My sailing (9/8/13) no longer shows up on the website. So it looks like 9/8/13 has been cancelled. P.S. No notification to passengers as of yet about it being cancelled!

The other two sailings which have been in NA status for the past 11 weeks, along with 9/8/13 (9/15/13 and 9/22/13), are still in NA status. I guess those'll be the next ones to meet their maker!

Curiouser and curiouser! LOL! :)

Alma

I just checked my 9/22 reservation, and so far it's still there.

I just got off the phone with Royal Caribbean, my 9/8/13 cruise to Bermuda has to disappeared. She told me yes that cruise has moved to Canada/New England and that she could not do anything now that it is still locked. but this week someone should be calling me to see if I want to change dates, which I definitely do. she said it looks like the 9/15 and 9/22 ones have also been moved to Canada cruises they just haven't been taken off yet.

I just got off the phone with Royal Caribbean, my 9/8/13 cruise to Bermuda has to disappeared. She told me yes that cruise has moved to Canada/New England and that she could not do anything now that it is still locked. but this week someone should be calling me to see if I want to change dates, which I definitely do. she said it looks like the 9/15 and 9/22 ones have also been moved to Canada cruises they just haven't been taken off yet.

Thanks for updating us Michelle. Well done! You managed to get more information that I did when I called this morning! I spoke to 3 reps (Crown & Anchor, Customer Service and Resolutions Dept). All I was told was the same old story that they had no information yet as to what was going to happen. I think they'll probably offer to transfer our bookings over to one of the Canada/NE sailings or to the only remainng Bermuda sailing in September which is the 9/29/13 sailing.

Alma

It seems pretty clear now that these sailings are moving to Canada/NE. I feel bad for those that booked and do not want this itinerary, but I love it, well we love it. We will have to book one, been dying to do one since 2010 when we went on our honeymoon.

Archived