kids program

Big Easy

I sure do. But in truth, Ren was going to lower the age limit (not as far as O has, however) -- they just declared bankruptcy before that could go into effect.

On our May 2001 cruise on Ren we saw a teen who we swore could NOT have been more than 16 ... but she could simply have looked very young. However, she was beautifully behaved so I doubt that anyone cared.

Mura

I had to laugh at this comment. Our daughter is almost 23, looks 14 and is always having problems with people not believing she is legal age. We took both of our young adult children with us on a cruise last Christmas and had our daughter order the alcoholic drinks each time. It was pure entertainment watching the bar staff double checking to make sure she was legal age. They would shake their heads with disbelief every time. I had several passengers comment to me on how mature our daughter was and when I informed them she was 22 at the time, they were flabbergasted. Most of them did place her at either 14 or 15 for her looks. It is a curse for her right now but when she gets to be my age it will be a blessing.:D

I had to laugh at this comment. Our daughter is almost 23, looks 14 and is always having problems with people not believing she is legal age. We took both of our young adult children with us on a cruise last Christmas and had our daughter order the alcoholic drinks each time. It was pure entertainment watching the bar staff double checking to make sure she was legal age. They would shake their heads with disbelief every time. I had several passengers comment to me on how mature our daughter was and when I informed them she was 22 at the time, they were flabbergasted. Most of them did place her at either 14 or 15 for her looks. It is a curse for her right now but when she gets to be my age it will be a blessing.:D

I can relate to that :D

When I was 27 & drinking age here was 21 DH & I went to lunch & ordered drinks ...I was carded ...he was laughing so hard until I told him that they probably thought he was robbing the cradle;)

We are only 11 mths apart in age

Frustrating now but it will be worth it when she is older ...I do not look a day over 40 :D:D:D I wish

I spend the extra $ to be free of kids /and their irresponsible parents. I want an adult experience with other adults.:o This only goes to dilute the atmosphere of casual class that the line built up. The kids program on Regent is what caused me to leave that line...

Having kids on vacations is like being pregnant. It's impossible to be just a little pregnant just like it impossible to have just a little bit of kids. Any at all disrupt the whole child free experience. It really does change the whole dynamic of a ship or resort. The pool in particular. It impossible to have a relaxing day around the pool when children are involved. I might as well pretend it doesn't exist. We make a special effort to book at child free resorts on land and it is a little disappointing to see O catering to kids.

As for the parents who think their children/grandchildren are paragons of virtue, I have news for you. They're not. As soon as they're out of eyesight they are still kids. Even in circumstances were they are 'behaving', just having them present changes the dynamic. I just wish the concept that there is a time and place for kids, would make a come back.

Having kids on vacations is like being pregnant. It's impossible to be just a little pregnant just like it impossible to have just a little bit of kids. Any at all disrupt the whole child free experience. It really does change the whole dynamic of a ship or resort. The pool in particular. It impossible to have a relaxing day around the pool when children are involved. I might as well pretend it doesn't exist. We make a special effort to book at child free resorts on land and it is a little disappointing to see O catering to kids.

As for the parents who think their children/grandchildren are paragons of virtue, I have news for you. They're not. As soon as they're out of eyesight they are still kids. Even in circumstances were they are 'behaving', just having them present changes the dynamic. I just wish the concept that there is a time and place for kids, would make a come back.

Cruises, luxury cruises are for adults. Plain and simple. Kids, old or young, well mannered or not, have not earned the right to enter that world. I agree their very presence is a gross detractor for every passneger. They can not appreciate nor interreact in that atmosphere. Like fish out of water . Keep then and their worship out of my vacation.

Cruises, luxury cruises are for adults. Plain and simple. Kids, old or young, well mannered or not, have not earned the right to enter that world. I agree their very presence is a gross detractor for every passneger. They can not appreciate nor interreact in that atmosphere. Like fish out of water . Keep then and their worship out of my vacation.

Humm,,,tough talk indeed.

Luxury cruises are for "anyone" who wants to take them, including folks like myself who enjoy traveling with their grandchildren but expect a certain level of food, accomodation, and service at the same time. People like myself should not be relegated to sailing an NCL or Carnival to please others who might want to sail a line like Oceania, Silversea, or Seabourn.

Bottom line, if you can't deal with the real world including on cruise ships of all types, best stay inside your own home.

Worldspan

131 cruises strong

Wow!! A person that speaks for "every passenger"....a person that decides the "right of certain people to enter the world of luxury cruising"....thankfully all of O's patrons are not so snobbish.

People like nice children. If I am paying a premium price for a 'luxury' cruise, then I expect that children (and adults) will behave appropriately. If that is being a snob, then I will wear the title proudly.

If you are a parent or grandparent that will monitor their family members and not let them run up and down the hallways, push every button on elevators, and dress them appropriately for dinner....then Welcome Aboard. If not...you should stay home!!!!

Bottom line, if you can't deal with the real world including on cruise ships of all types, best stay inside your own home.

Making no judgments about your grandchildren, the bottom line is if they can't behave themselves then THEY are the ones who should stay inside their own homes.

Look, there are rude and obnoxious adults, too, and we might like it if they all stayed home as well. But if people are traveling with the next generation(s), they owe it to their fellow passengers who make sure the children fit in. Shouldn't they learn proper manners from the get-go?

My Mom would have belted my sister and me around the block if we'd behaved inappropriately in public.

There IS a middle ground here. If you are traveling with children on Oceania (or ANY ship), instruct them on how to behave. Most of the passengers are grandparents themselves ... I am not! But most are. That would seem to indicate that most passengers do like children.

When they behave appropriately ...

When we have traveled on lines with childrens' programs (not often, but at least two cruises on the QE2 and one on NCL) we never saw them. I mean the children. Well, we did at some point because we made it a point to go to the kids' talent show. The thing is that Oceania doesn't have childrens' programs ... and so far for the most (from what I have read here) some parents are ignoring their childrens' behavior.

And THAT is what people are unhappy about. If Oceania's ships were larger (even the new "O" category), there would be more options for children. On the "R" ships there just are not.

Some have said here that people who bring young children on Oceania cruises are only thinking of themselves, NOT of the children. I have to agree.

Let me add that I haven't seen this obnoxious behavior that is the focus of these complaints. We tend not to travel at times when youngsters are out of school. We *have* seen a few teenagers who seemed to be having a good time seeing Europe on our cruises. We haven't seen the really young children who probably would be bored. I guess we've been lucky.

Your grandchildren no doubt behave impeccably. Not all do.

Mura

Worldspan,

I appreciate the fact that you think your grandchildren are special and beyond reproach but so do all parents and grandparents. Put a whole group of those on board and you have disrupted what the majority of other passengers want from their cruise. We are not child haters. We all love children but only where they belong and they don't belong on O.

Worldspan must be grandparent of the century. The granchildren are lucky that they can spend quality time, all day every day, with a grandparent.

I loved my grandparents and they loved and spoiled me. But there came a time when they would expect that I entertain myself. And this is the time that we all seem to be talking about. When kids stop being entertained by the adults in their group, they often become disruptive.

I work hard all year to enjoy my vacation. No matter when I choose to go, I should not have to contend with misbehaved children, teens or young adults.

I no longer have grandparents to enjoy, so I hope Worldspan can continue to treasure family time. Note to Worldspan... Just make sure that your quality time does not disrupt my vacation!!!

The problem is that these parents and grandparents usually never bother to reign in their unruly progeny. They think it's cute behavior. And the rest of us have to suffer through it.

+1

Often, the parents/grandparents are so accustomed to the behavior that they do not even realize that it annoys others or interferes with their enjoyment. It's their "normal."

+1

Often, the parents/grandparents are so accustomed to the behavior that they do not even realize that it annoys others or interferes with their enjoyment. It's their "normal."

I just think its funny that they're so worried about us raining on their parade when they're all okay with annoying potentially 100's of people.

I just think its funny that they're so worried about us raining on their parade when they're all okay with annoying potentially 100's of people.

That, in a nutshell is the crux of the problem. I think that people here are not "haters" of any age group nor are they all "old folks".

I think too, that what riles up people is that Oceaina has fostered an adult focused cruise where like minded adults can relax in the atmosphere of other well mannered and respectful adults. It is not a child appropriate atmosphere.

Listening to a point of view that basicaly ignores both respect of others and common sence infavor of personal wants is upsetting to say the least. The sole premise is "I can do what I want" is a sad position to defend and sort of sounds self centered.

That is, indeed, what all this anger is all about.:rolleyes:

When you offer a couple of cruises as family friendly, you can bet your last cruising dime that many parents will then view O as a family friendly cruise line throughout the year. The powers that be on O can say what they want, but once they open that door to kids, it will remain open even on cruises that aren't designated as family friendly. Families have SO many choices for cruising, so why do they need to invade one of the few lines that have been adult only for so long?

When you offer a couple of cruises as family friendly, you can bet your last cruising dime that many parents will then view O as a family friendly cruise line throughout the year. The powers that be on O can say what they want, but once they open that door to kids, it will remain open even on cruises that aren't designated as family friendly. Families have SO many choices for cruising, so why do they need to invade one of the few lines that have been adult only for so long?

I understand last year the new President brought his whole family, young family, on a holiday cruise. There was very little for them to do and many of other the children on board bonded and became a "pack" thereby causing some mischief.

Wonder if this has anything to do with why the push to become family friendly.?????????

I'm going to agree with worldspan that the people on this board seem to have a very cynical view of children. I have been on 3 Crystal cruises, two of which were with my children. Not once have I seen a misbehaved child on any of these cruises. The idea that by having program for children, Crystal has become a cruise line in which adults do not enjoy a quiet and peaceful environment is just silly.

Why should adults be the only ones to enjoy good food and good service? Is it more appropriate for a child to be on a Carnival cruise full of drunk college students (I have been on a couple of those, a well)? And why is it selfish for me to bring my well-behaved kids on a nice, elegant cruise but not selfish for you to insist that your vacation consist of a hermetically sealed child-free bubble?

I'm going to agree with worldspan that the people on this board seem to have a very cynical view of children. I have been on 3 Crystal cruises, two of which were with my children. Not once have I seen a misbehaved child on any of these cruises. The idea that by having program for children, Crystal has become a cruise line in which adults do not enjoy a quiet and peaceful environment is just silly.

Why should adults be the only ones to enjoy good food and good service? Is it more appropriate for a child to be on a Carnival cruise full of drunk college students (I have been on a couple of those, a well)? And why is it selfish for me to bring my well-behaved kids on a nice, elegant cruise but not selfish for you to insist that your vacation consist of a hermetically sealed child-free bubble?

Because, to paraphrase, Oceania made a point of saying it was country-club casual with no formal nights, pretty much no smoking--to the point if you did you would be put off at the next port, and THERE ARE NO CHILDREN PROGRAMS SO WE DON'T ENCOURAGE CHILDREN. This is how it was until this year. So now if the oldies (and youngies) are not happy about children, it is because of the way it was.

Wow indeed.

Now it seems to me that a good part of the problem is that on some recent "holiday" cruises, some of the children DID run rampant and ruin the vacation -- yes, I did say ruin -- for other passengers.

I wasn't there so I have to take the posters' word for it. As I've said before that hasn't been our experience on previous cruises where some children were present. Those were lovely children who seemed to be enjoying themselves even without "kids programs". (Of course, these were older teenagers who probably would be insulted at the idea of a kids program being something they would appreciate...)

Not all parents are perfect, not all children are perfect, and certainly not all cruisers are perfect.

Mura

I thought the whole point of this discussion was that Oceania was going to START adding some kids programs to Alaska cruises in the summer. It seems obvioius therefore that it does not CURRENTLY offer any such programs. So repeating over and over that Oceania does not currently have a children's program adds nothing to the discussion.

The point you seem to be missing is that Crystal does offer a kids program and the shipboard environment is still quiet and peaceful. The kids program is not dependent on the ship being "set up" for kids. Crystal has two very small rooms devoted to the kids program. All that is really needed for a kids program is to have a few counselors to organize some activities.

Having said that, I just got back from a 12-day cruise and my 10 and 12 year old children never used the kids program on Crystal because they were not that fond of the counselors or the activities. They still found plenty to do on sea days, such as taking a walk on the Promenade deck, reading a book, going to the art class and watching movies in the room. I would agree that if your kids need a lot of activity to be entertained, cruises like Crystal and Oceania are not appropriate. What I don't understand is why all of you feel the need to be as unaccomodating as possible to those who would like the opportunity to enjoy an Oceania cruise with their kids.

Tyber "What I don't understand is why all of you feel the need to be as unaccomodating as possible to those who would like the opportunity to enjoy an Oceania cruise with their kids."

I'm sorry, but the case has not been made as to why adults cruising without children on an adult focused cruise have to be accommodating to those bringing children.

Archived