taxi to public gardens in Boston

pjlee3333

My mom and I love gardens. We'd love to go see the public gardens in Boston and maybe some of Boston Common. Is Boston Common next to the Gardens? How much would a taxie be to the gardens and how easy would it be to get one from the cruise terminal and then make arrangements to have them pick us up? I know we could probably take the subway but my mom has knee and back trouble and is hesitant to try public transportation in a city she isn't familiar with. We also have been to Boston on a cruise every year since 2004 so have seen several of the other sites in the area.

The Public Gardens are adjacent to Boston Commons. Last fall our cab fare to the Commons was probably $10 or less, so it should be about that to the Gardens. We found it easy to flag a cab back to the ship.

Thanks for the suggestions. Twi additional questions. I've never looked for a taxi at the pier - we've always been doing something else. Is it hard to catch one at the pier? And second question - where are they located relataive to the ship.

We're looking forward to doing this - have spent many hours at the public gardens in Halifax and loved it.

There should be plenty of taxis. The taxis are located when you walk out of Black Falcon terminal. If you want to go to the public garden and Boston Common, you should ask them to either drop you off at the Park Street MBTA station (Boston Common side) or at the corner of Newbury Street at the Taj Hotel (public garden side). You can try to get a taxi yourself or walk over to the hotel and the doorman will get you one. Newbury Street is also nice to walk if you have time.

My mom and I love gardens. We'd love to go see the public gardens in Boston and maybe some of Boston Common. Is Boston Common next to the Gardens? How much would a taxie be to the gardens and how easy would it be to get one from the cruise terminal and then make arrangements to have them pick us up? I know we could probably take the subway but my mom has knee and back trouble and is hesitant to try public transportation in a city she isn't familiar with. We also have been to Boston on a cruise every year since 2004 so have seen several of the other sites in the area.

Yes I would say $10-12 each way is a good estimate for this trip. Don't forget to take a swan ride.

• 2 weeks later...

The Taj hotel (very nice) is across Arlington Street from the Public Garden. Probably the best option around.

The original "Cheers" is across Beacon Street, and probably has a public restroom

• 2 months later...

The cab ride should be between $10-$15 depending on the time of day and traffic. Sometimes the morning and afternoon commutes are so jammed that a taxi almost isn't worth it. The good thing is that yes, the Public Garden is adjacent to Boston Commons. If you are looking for any more info about Massachusetts including maps, or things to do, check Mass Vacation's site. Sometimes they list things that are going on in the Public Garden and the Commons. The festivals they have each year are pretty neat and if you happen to be in town for one of them definitely try to check it out!

• 4 weeks later...

The Arboretum is a nice walk, but unless you are REALLY into trees, I wouldn't have it in my top 20 recommendations to a tourist visiting Boston. It's totally not walkable (easy bus or subway connection, though), and near nothing else a tourist would be interested in.

The OP specifically stated an interest in public gardens which is why I mentioned the Arboretum which is of interest to many nature lovers. I gave the link for more information which would enable the OP to see the location and other information.

You are correct that it is not near other tourist sites, but if seeing gardens and that type of site is of interest to the OP then I do believe the Arboretum is worth mention.

Thank you so much for the recommendations. We ended up doing the cruise twice and being conservative did the hop on hop off bus tour and spending about 2-3 hours each time at the gardens. We would have spent more but we took a little time and had lunch at cheers and then had the rest of the time getting back of the time getting back to the ship. We started the tour at 9:30 and got back to the ship at 3:15 with an all aboard time of 3:30.

Archived