10th and probably last Royal Caribbean Cruise.

Revenue aside, some of us responsable adults would like a nightcap on our balcony. I do not wish to take of my robe and get redressed to go to a bar. So I don't. That revenue is lost anyway.

Does room service deliver drinks?

The only thing RCCL is interested in is making money. A glass of wine at between £6-7 on a Middle East cruise is a complete and utter rip off.

That's the reason why I'm cruising with Princess this year. And I'll bet the food and service is better too. And they have toiletries provided for you which is more than the scrimping RCCL do. A dreadful cruise line.

The only thing RCCL is interested in is making money. A glass of wine at between £6-7 on a Middle East cruise is a complete and utter rip off.

That's the reason why I'm cruising with Princess this year. And I'll bet the food and service is better too. And they have toiletries provided for you which is more than the scrimping RCCL do. A dreadful cruise line.

I have been on Princess. You will find that the price of alcohol is the same if not slightly higher.

They are not trying to protect themselves from being sued. They are protecting their profits. Much of their profit comes from onboard spending. Liquor is one of the best sellers.

As a shareholder, I love it. :D:D

Again, it is not the profits that Royal Caribbean is concerned with. Royal Caribbean is simply trying to protect its assets.

Look at it another way, to make up the lost profits Royal Caribbean could simply charge an extra $1 per day per person. That would amount to an extra $15,000 to $40,000 per week, which would more than make up for the amount of lost liquor sales.

It is obvious that the concern is not a few dollars in lost sales, but rather the few million a Smith like lawsuit would cost them.

That's exactly it!! Everybody is always "sue happy". Free $$ is all they see. But businesses are in business to provide a service for a fee (make money legitimately). Of course, they should do their best to provide a safe environment/product. But, that being said: everyone has the freedom to choose who they give their $$ to. Enjoy that freedom! :)

I was referring to the places that deliver baskets, and it has been a long time since I employed one, so that may very well no longer be allowed, I didn't realize - sorry :)

Ya know, with this policy you'd think they then would have us at their mercy and they'd charge $20 for a drink (yea, I paid that much when I visited Iceland for a mixed drink), but they don't. I think their prices are pretty reasonable considering the captive audience.

As to wine, yes, a bottle of wine there is more expensive than if you snagged it in a liquor store however, I'll give them this much credit: they say there is a corking fee, but I've NEVER been charged one. Have you?

I think it's more than RC's profits they are protecting... but also the folks who bust their butts onboard relying on tips for their income. Imagine how their salaries would be altered if 25% of those who drink just brought and mixed their own goodies.

I think RC does a good job giving me the option to get my drink on :) but yea, it would be nice if they loosened up a bit, that is all I meant on my initial reply. Example: The niece who wants dr pepper and only dr pepper - which I don't think they have onboard anyhow, or, as stated, carrying back on the bottle of water I bought in the morning.

On a related note: if I could just get the water _cold_ in the fridge and didn't have to hide the bottle to avoid my stateroom attendant from taking it :)

Judy

Ya know, with this policy you'd think they then would have us at their mercy and they'd charge $20 for a drink (yea, I paid that much when I visited Iceland for a mixed drink), but they don't. I think their prices are pretty reasonable considering the captive audience.

I agree with that part. Compared to Manhattan prices RCI's drink prices are reasonable. Thats why RCI's alcohol policy is not that big of a deal with me. That said, I still bring a handfull of the airplane size bottles with me strictly for convienence. I like to be able to have a drink on the balcony without having to go to one of the bars or wait for room service.

If you want to be on a cruise where you are allowed to bring as much alcohol as you can carry on board (and buy as many bottles as you want from the duty-free shop and take them straight away to your cabin) then try the car ferries between Sweden and Finland.

Spring Break kids have nothing on us Scandinavians on any weekend night of the year :rolleyes:

Archived