Funny Things Before our Cruises......

sail7seas

It is starting to strike me as very funny the things I have been thinking about as we look forward to our Alaska adventure.

Last week, I started a post about Dutch Pea Soup. :)

Of all the things about a cross country trip, a much anticipated stay in Seattle where we have never been and then a cruise on a beautiful ship, to what all say is an amazing piece of the world, seeing friends we miss and look forward to visiting with .....

And I'm focusing on Dutch pea soup. :D

Surely I'm not the only one who has a quirky thing that they really look forward to before their cruise.

Anyone else have some little thing out of a 'huge whole' that might be considered a bit funny that makes your HAL cruise special, that little bit better?

Yup, I've got one too.

On our last cruise, I had printed a list of common sayings translated from English to Indonesian. I tried very hard to use them when greeting and interacting with the Indonesian crew members. They were thrilled that I knew how to say things in their language and helped me practice.

So,... I just bought myself and small Indonesian travel dictionary. I know it's a silly thing, but also very enjoyable seeing their faces when you greet them in their own language.

ps. of course my family thinks I'm nuts!:cool:

Escargot on the last formal night. On the Maasdam, they made them differently with some bread crumbs and they weren't so good. I hear they're not serving them on the Veendam. I really look forward to them.

Yup, I've got one too.

On our last cruise, I had printed a list of common sayings translated from English to Indonesian. I tried very hard to use them when greeting and interacting with the Indonesian crew members. They were thrilled that I knew how to say things in their language and helped me practice.

So,... I just bought myself and small Indonesian travel dictionary. I know it's a silly thing, but also very enjoyable seeing their faces when you greet them in their own language.

That's exactly what I was thinking after my last cruise and you just reminded me

As for my obsession, it is bread pudding. Will they have it; will they have enough if I'm late; will it taste as good as on the previous cruise. :D I have never been disappointed.

Aside from food and drink, is there some 'thing' that you look forward to on the ship that you only see on HAL or that HAL does 'better than all the rest'?

Aside from food and drink, is there some 'thing' that you look forward to on the ship that you only see on HAL or that HAL does 'better than all the rest'?

The fresh flower arrangements and the orchids on the tables. Just seems more elegant.

And to get back to the general "food" ideas - raisin buns for breakfast. :D

1. Watching the dancers before dinner at the Ocean Bar.
  2. Watching the gangway from above on the Promenade Deck - with a cocktail - to watch the late passengers racing back to the ship before it leaves port.
  3. The Water Taxi in St. Maarten.
  4. Watching the sailaways from the mouth of the harbor the night before our ships leave!
  5. The Water Taxi in Ft. Lauderdale.
  6. Watching my DW walk in the Pinnacle Bar to meet me for drinks before the first formal night.
  7. and finally, trying my bowtie on for the first time each cruise to see if it still fits!

It is starting to strike me as very funny the things I have been thinking about as we look forward to our Alaska adventure.

Of all the things about a cross country trip, a much anticipated stay in Seattle where we have never been and then a cruise on a beautiful ship, to what all say is an amazing piece of the world, seeing friends we miss and look forward to visiting with .....

Surely I'm not the only one who has a quirky thing that they really look forward to before their cruise.

Anyone else have some little thing out of a 'huge whole' that might be considered a bit funny that makes your HAL cruise special, that little bit better?

I hope HAL still provides fresh fruit daily in the cabins. I always look forward to having fresh fruit each day so I always fill out the note in the bowl the first day we're in our cabin.

The fresh flower arrangements and the orchids on the tables. Just seems more elegant.

And to get back to the general "food" ideas - raisin buns for breakfast. :D

I love the flowers on HAL - just so elegant - and I love flowers anyways:)

On the Prinsendam - our waiter called the raisin buns - the sexy buns - it's stuck with us ever since:):)

Funny thing is, I too have been thinking about & wondering if HAL will serve the Dutch Pea Soup out on the Promenade & Forward decks while we are in Antarctica..

And I've also been thinking about sitting out on the Promenade deck with a lap robe, like we did on the Amsterdam while Glacier viewing..We love HAL's Promenade deck & looking forward to spending a lot time (if it's not too cold) out there..

Cheers...:)Betty

A little off topic, but Seattle is a great city to spend time in - the Space Needle, the old site of the 196? World's Fair, Pike's Market, old town tours, the seafront.

There is a very nice aquarium on the seafront. It has an octopus that used to escape at night and eat the other fish on display. An employee caught it in the act of returning to its own tank, so the tank was redesigned so the octopus couldn't get out any more. I thought that was very funny - who knew it could live long enough outside in the air to get from one tank to another and back again?

Alaska is beautiful - I hope you have a wonderful, enjoyable cruise.

Ordering a real breakfast for room service with a smile.

AND Cruising on a ship without a self service laundry and with a laundry package!

Plus - Sunsets on the aft pool deck.

Colleen

1. Watching the dancers before dinner at the Ocean Bar.
  2. Watching the gangway from above on the Promenade Deck - with a cocktail - to watch the late passengers racing back to the ship before it leaves port.
  3. The Water Taxi in St. Maarten.
  4. Watching the sailaways from the mouth of the harbor the night before our ships leave!
  5. The Water Taxi in Ft. Lauderdale.
  6. Watching my DW walk in the Pinnacle Bar to meet me for drinks before the first formal night.
  7. and finally, trying my bowtie on for the first time each cruise to see if it still fits!

lol, Kevin! Guess we're on the same page!

:D I think I had something like 7 or 8 of them this past 11 days.

For me, it's a Wang Wang or two. I had one on embarkation day...and another, relaxing in the Mix, on our last Sea Day this recent cruise.

A little off topic, but Seattle is a great city to spend time in - the Space Needle, the old site of the 196? World's Fair, Pike's Market, old town tours, the seafront.

There is a very nice aquarium on the seafront. It has an octopus that used to escape at night and eat the other fish on display. An employee caught it in the act of returning to its own tank, so the tank was redesigned so the octopus couldn't get out any more. I thought that was very funny - who knew it could live long enough outside in the air to get from one tank to another and back again?

Alaska is beautiful - I hope you have a wonderful, enjoyable cruise.

It was 1962, and I was there at the age of 11.

Sitting on a lounge chair on the Promenade deck watching the sea go by..........AHHHHHH----NICE

Escargot on the last formal night. On the Maasdam, they made them differently with some bread crumbs and they weren't so good. I hear they're not serving them on the Veendam. I really look forward to them.

Perhaps that was just the week we were on the Veendam, Carol. On the Veendam, they offered a caviar appetizer...I didn't pay much attention as I don't like caviar. Maybe you'll be surpised and have them!

I love walking across the gangway and stepping on to the ship, I'm home again. :D DH loves the Cream of Broccoli soup they have in the Lido the first day and the first Harvey Wall banger in the Lido bar when we board. I also look forward to the appetizers served in the evenings and Happy Hour.:D

Yup, I've got one too.

ps. of course my family thinks I'm nuts!:cool:

I have done that too :) They love it. It cracks me up when they say: "oh, you speak Indonesian!"

Archived