Maxi-Dress Where do you wear them?

I have seen some maxis that I really like. Nice bright colors, perfect for a cruise. However, I doubt I would wear a maxi when not on a cruise.

So, ladies, where and when would you wear a maxi at home? Trying to decide if I should purchase one.

I have seen some maxis that I really like. Nice bright colors, perfect for a cruise. However, I doubt I would wear a maxi when not on a cruise.

So, ladies, where and when would you wear a maxi at home? Trying to decide if I should purchase one.

I wouldn't buy just one!

When it's really hot I wear them to work, shopping, everywhere. They're really cooler (temperature) than pants. At work, you can always put a short jacket or cover over them to make them more appropriate.

Just about any where. Wore one to a kids bday party yesterday with some cute flat sandals.

It depends on if it is a causal maxi or dressy maxi.

I wil be taking several maxi on my cruise, some will be for the day and others for night.

I wouldn't buy just one!

When it's really hot I wear them to work, shopping, everywhere. They're really cooler (temperature) than pants. At work, you can always put a short jacket or cover over them to make them more appropriate.

ITA I'm in love with them. I've added them to my rotation of long sarong skirts that I normally wear in the summer. Just an easy comfortable clothing option.

I just bought my first maxi dress ever (finally found them in my size but fitting for a larger bust) and love it. I wore it to an outdoor wedding yesterday. I'd probably wear it to other outdoor parties or family get togethers as well.

maxi.jpg

Sherilyn you look great in that maxi. Very pretty.

You all have such good ideas. I was thinking more of the casual type and can see where they would be cooler than pants. I wear capris all summer and well into fall. Just a very casual dresser. I may have to think about this more seriously.

I haven't found a maxi dress I like or onenthat looks good on me, but I see everyone else wearing them. A lot of people wear them to work, around the neighborhood. They look super comfy, but I'm just starting to get out of my clothing comfort zone and havent worked up to maxi dresses yet.

I just bought my first maxi dress ever (finally found them in my size but fitting for a larger bust) and love it. I wore it to an outdoor wedding yesterday. I'd probably wear it to other outdoor parties or family get togethers as well.

maxi.jpg

Love this and it looks great on you!

I have one maxi that I bought a couple years ago. Here is a pic of the top part of it, I don't have one that shows the whole thing:

NatandMeatGrad2.jpg

Because I am pretty tiny, I had a hard time finding one that fit me and wasn't too long in a way that I couldn't really alter. I have worn it to my daughter's graduation, a summer wine tasting event, a play and on my last cruise. I don't wear it to work because it is strapless. To be honest, although I love it, I haven't worn it that often because I tend to choose shorter dresses that accentuate my legs which are still one of my better features at my age, lol! I do enjoy having it though, and am glad they are still in style because I bought it on clearance three summers ago.

I wouldn't wear one....don't like them. (Reminds me of the 60's....flower children and all that!)

I think unless you're in your teens or early 20's, they just look silly....and hot! I like shorter sundresses, if I'm wearing a casual dress.

I have a few that I really like..very comfortable and cool especially during a hot south florida summer, also good for keeping mosquitos at bay (at least on the legs!). I wear mine for shopping, outdoor summer parties, out to dinner, movies, etc. I like the versitality of them...you can dress them up or dress them down. I also like them for traveling as I find them easy to pack and just comfortable.

I wouldn't wear one....don't like them. (Reminds me of the 60's....flower children and all that!)

Ah, but some think of those styles fondly. The maxidresses today are so much brighter and have better fabric choices. I love them although only have three. Past the age/size for the bare arms/back but found some with a square neck rather than V plus a little bit of sleeve. Makes a nice change from pants for most any occasion.

Maxi dresses today are entirely different than the dresses of the sixties referred to above. Entirely different garments IMO

Sherilynn....... Your dress looks great on you. Nice photo. :)

I think unless you're in your teens or early 20's, they just look silly....and hot! I like shorter sundresses, if I'm wearing a casual dress.

And I'm 20 years past 20 and not a size 8, more like a 16.

And they look great on me, I wear the halter, tub top, all the styles of the maxi/

I'm just saying,,,but I will not wear a mini skirt. I don't have the legs for them at all.

I love wearing maxi dresses during the summer. I would rather wear a maxi dress or sundress on warmer days than shorts or capris. So much more comfortable. I wear maxi dresses when having parties, shopping, going to the movies, to church, or going out for lunch or dinner. I agree with Gathina, they're so easy to pack for cruises. They take up less space than shorts/capris and tops.

I saw a Pucci maxi dress from the late 60's/70's in a vintage store..if I could have squeezed into the size 4, I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

Maxis are also very feminine, I think..my husband loves it when I wear one

Oh my gosh! I have a closet full of maxi (what I call my hippie dresses)!!! I wear them everywhere . . . grocery store, errand running, out to dinner, and especially traveling. We're leaving for Florida tomorrow and I already have my maxi picked out. I'm wearing a denim coat on the plane over the dress because it's always chilly onboard the jets. Love, love, love the comfort and ease of the maxi dresses and sooooo happy they are here to stay!!!:o:o:o

I saw a Pucci maxi dress from the late 60's/70's in a vintage store..if I could have squeezed into the size 4, I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

Maxis are also very feminine, I think..my husband loves it when I wear one

I don't own a maxi dress... Yet. Your comment about the vintage Pucci reminded me of one I have had my eye on for a week or so at NY&Co. I haven't decided on it yet, mostly because I'm afraid I'll be disappointed in the quality, but it IS cute: http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/prod/Apparel/Dress-Boutique/Mod-Print-Knit-Maxi-Dress

I haven't seen any that would be appropriate for the office, but I think if I had a cute one I would wear it just about anywhere else I go, church, restaurants, shopping, even walking the dogs.

In my opinion I think a Maxi dress is too casual for an office, of course it depends on the kind of work you do.

Those are really cute..the problem is that most of the ones from Old Navy, Walmart, etc..while cute..are obviously very cheaply made. I did buy one at Walmart (I despise the store but the dress was cute) that I wore often in central america last summer, but it faded quickly.

If it's a good quality fabric, then it'd be worth the money these ones were. The Pucci one I saw as hot pink, yellow, and a 60's kind of print. I just loved it and wished I was a size 4!!

I don't own a maxi dress... Yet. Your comment about the vintage Pucci reminded me of one I have had my eye on for a week or so at NY&Co. I haven't decided on it yet, mostly because I'm afraid I'll be disappointed in the quality, but it IS cute: http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/prod/Apparel/Dress-Boutique/Mod-Print-Knit-Maxi-Dress

I haven't seen any that would be appropriate for the office, but I think if I had a cute one I would wear it just about anywhere else I go, church, restaurants, shopping, even walking the dogs.

I saw that one in the store window, super cute! I know everyone has different levels of income and what they spend on clothes, but I personally would not pay $70.00 for it. Maybe it will still be around when they do their summer clearance! :)

I saw that one in the store window, super cute! I know everyone has different levels of income and what they spend on clothes, but I personally would not pay $70.00 for it. Maybe it will still be around when they do their summer clearance! :)

I doubt you'll have to pay $70 for it. Today is buy one get 75% off. So you could get two dresses for under $90. On the 22nd they sent me an email that everything was 50% off. I see deals like this all of the time with them.

Archived