I Wish I liked Wine....

kpgibbs

Some people go to Nascar races and collect pit passes and driver autographs. Some people watch football and collect memorabilia. Some people read and belong to book clubs. Yet others collect wine and go to tastings and wine dinners. It's a hobby. Those of us who do a lot of tasting also do a lot of spitting. The idea isn't to get drunk, it's to sample a variety of different wines. By the way, a properly paired wine can absolutely enhance many types of food.

Well said! I can't imagine going to a nice dinner and not enjoying a good wine along with the food. Sometimes I order the food for paring because I prefer to drink a particular wine that night. ;)

At work we had this question we were all supposed to answer. If you only had three things that you could pick to eat and drink for the rest of your life - what would it be. Mine didn't take any time to answer:

Red wine

Bread

Cheese

I think I could make it with these!:D

Well said! I can't imagine going to a nice dinner and not enjoying a good wine along with the food. Sometimes I order the food for paring because I prefer to drink a particular wine that night. ;)

At work we had this question we were all supposed to answer. If you only had three things that you could pick to eat and drink for the rest of your life - what would it be. Mine didn't take any time to answer:

Red wine

Bread

Cheese

Right there with ya!

Red wine

Bread

Cheese

:) Ican think of worse ways to die constipated! Can't they let ya have a fruit?

Red wine

Bread

Cheese

I think I just met my brother from a different mother :D

Yeah but it really ain't gonna counteract that cheese! :eek:

Actually you'd be surprised. And take my advice, if you are ever taste testing the brix level of cabernet sauvignon before harvest, spit the mascerated fruit out instead of swallowing it. I promise you, you'll deeply regret it later that day if you don't.

I've tried wine a few times before, and I've never really liked it much. So my solution is simple: I don't drink it. I don't begrudge people who enjoy it, but I don't feel like I'm missing anything by abstaining.

I'm not trying to be harsh, so please don't take it that way. I'm simply curious as to why you are so eager to find a wine that you would enjoy, given that you've already tried a few and not liked them at all. You've mentioned several times that other people have made it look good, to which I would say that anyone enjoying something they like will make that thing look good. No doubt someone might see you enjoying a Colorado Bulldog and think that it must be really good, for you to enjoy it so. But everyone's tastes are different.

I believe the reference to the "drinking culture" isn't to alcoholism, but rather to those who simply cannot fathom a social situation without alcoholic beverages being a part of it. I personally know several people who are like this. They aren't alcoholics by any stretch of the imagination, but the consumption of wine looms large in their lifestyle. To each their own.

Because I know one day someone will turn me onto a wine that I will like. I have only tried maybe a handful. With thousands of different kinds out there, I'm sure there is one I will like.

Actually you'd be surprised. And take my advice, if you are ever taste testing the brix level of cabernet sauvignon before harvest, spit the mascerated fruit out instead of swallowing it. I promise you, you'll deeply regret it later that day if you don't.

:eek: I'm pretty much after a finished product. No whites or pinks for me, though. I tried enough of them that I realized i don't care for them. All you can do is try.

I'm a bit surprised that so many people are mentioning sweet wines. Probably because, for me, sweet wines are not all that great tasting...too cloying, again for me.

There are so many wines out there on the market now, from so many different regions around the world. It's hard to pick just one. That's why we keep tasting :)

I think the OP needs to go wine tasting. A trip to Napa!!!

I am not a big wine drinker, but I do like a few varieties of wine when I feel like it:

1. I prefer white wine over red wine. I don't really know why, but to me it tastes better. I like Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc most of the time.

2. I also like the Arbor Mist wine. Something about the addition of fruit to the wine makes it less wine-y lol. I have tried the one made from White Zinfandel and it had exotic fruit or something in it and it tasted really good. Another plus is that it is relatively inexpensive, where I live it is about $5-$6 dollars a bottle.

3. I LOVE champagne. I find it lighter and sweeter than most wines and I love its bubbliness. You could try that along with the addition of fruit juices like orange juice to make mimosas and that'd probably be really good. Plus you can bring that as your bottle on the cruise.

4. Another thing I have been dying to try is Prosecco. It's sort of like wine/champagne. It's white and bubbly and from what I've heard it's light and relatively sweet. I've also heard it can be cheaper too, so you might want to try it.

I'm a bit surprised that so many people are mentioning sweet wines. Probably because, for me, sweet wines are not all that great tasting...too cloying, again for me.

There are so many wines out there on the market now, from so many different regions around the world. It's hard to pick just one. That's why we keep tasting :)

I think the OP needs to go wine tasting. A trip to Napa!!!

OP is a big fan of a sweet, cloying drink made with milk or cream. that's why the recommendations for the sweet things.

:eek: I'm pretty much after a finished product. No whites or pinks for me, though. I tried enough of them that I realized i don't care for them. All you can do is try.

I agree. I go to a lot of tastings, even for varietals I don't necessarily enjoy, because the more you try the more you learn. I never thought I liked "pink" wine until I had a rose of grenache. Since then I've found that roses made from grenache, syrah, and pinot noir are often not only good but sometimes excellent.

OP is a big fan of a sweet, cloying drink made with milk or cream. that's why the recommendations for the sweet things.

It's probably why a lot of people don't like wine. Too used to sweet? I'm the type who doesn't care for sweet alcoholic drinks, nor do I like sodas.

I agree with ducklite, you have to try a lot to see where your tastes lie. I don't care for Chardonnay, but once in a while at a tasting I will find one that's pretty decent.

I once (sort of) regifted a bottle of pink wine (don't remember what it was), I took it to lunch at a co-workers house. She insisted on opening it then and there, even though I knew most didn't drink wine. Out of the 5 of us, I was the only wine drinker and the only one who thought the wine was hideous. One sip and I was about to apologize and tell everyone I would not be offended if they dumped it out. They loved it. I was the only one who didn't finish their glass, I couldn't bring myself to drink any more of the swill.

I wondered how many times that bottle was gifted before it was opened :p

Archived