I Wish I liked Wine....

kpgibbs

I read over and over about people bringing wine onboard. I really wish I liked wine. I have tried several. I know for sure I don't like red wine. And I don't like really dry wine. And wine tends to give me a headache.

Can anyone suggest a wine I might like? I like sweeter drinks. My drink of choice is a Colorado Bulldog. But I see people drinking wine and it looks so good.

Someone please help me like wine.:rolleyes:

If you like sweet drinks try Stella Rosa or Moscato. both have a taste similar to a good tasting juice. I was introduced to them by people I told I wasn't a wine drinker. they brought it over for dinner...I groaned...then actually enjoyed it :)

For sweetness, try anything that's marked as a "dessert wine."

The headache is likely caused by nitrates. You could try a nitrate-free or organic wine; Trader Joe's and Whole Foods carry them in areas in which groceries can sell wine. Or you can simply open a bottle and pour a glass about half an hour before you're ready to drink it. That aerates the wine, and the nitrates aren't as potent.

I too have not acquired a taste for wine. Trying to change that, I signed up for a wine tasting on one of my last cruises, hoping to be exposed to a few varieties so I could learn the differences.

Even after listening to the sommelier explain the differences in each wine we sampled, with the exception of the dessert wine, the two reds and two whites both tasted exactly the same to me. The dessert wine was just sweeter. Has made me come to the conclusion that I'm just not a wine person.

I was told one time that if you have a lot of acid in your system, you will not like wine. The acid makes the wine taste bad. I'm not sure if that is correct. The guy that told me that was a true wino...:D

I read over and over about people bringing wine onboard. I really wish I liked wine. I have tried several. I know for sure I don't like red wine. And I don't like really dry wine. And wine tends to give me a headache.

Can anyone suggest a wine I might like? I like sweeter drinks. My drink of choice is a Colorado Bulldog. But I see people drinking wine and it looks so good.

I get headaches from wine as well, and I also prefer sweeter drinks. There is a brand of wine called Cupcake Wine that I find delicious and I don't get headaches (at least with the white wine versions.)

Wine gives me headaches too. I can't even take a sip of red. I can, however, drink champagne. Especially if I make mix it with OJ (mimosa). Champagne can be brought on board (at least on CCL) so we do that instead.

Be happy you don't like wine. It's an expense. It's got calories. Why go looking for a habit you don't already have.

I'm thrilled not to be a drinker at all. I save money. I'm very popular as a designated driver. I found that when everyone else is tipsy, I can feel very carefree and tipsy myself without the treat of a headache, hangover or doing something I regret later.

I can't figure out why you would need to like wine.

But yes, any dessert wine should be more palatable to you based on what you said.

Other options for sweeter wines: White Zinfandel, Riesling, or Gewurztraminer. These are all on the sweeter side. Another option is to do a wine spritzer, that is where they mix a white wine and sprite or 7-up. You probably tried Chardonnay, which can be very oaky / dry and if you like sweeter things, you will not like this type. Before you buy a bottle on board, I'd try a few of the types we've mentioned and see if you like any of them. If you go to a decent bar / restaurant, they may let you try small amounts of different types to see if you like any. Or as other posters have recommended, go to a wine tasting but ask to concentrate on the sweeter varieties.

The drink of the day is usually a sweet drink at lower cost, so why not just stick with that?

Somebody mentioned the only alcoholic drink I would decline, can't stand it, champagne. I would rather not drink if that is all there is. Maybe you should take the same approach to wine. The costs savings are not that great.

Be happy you don't like wine. It's an expense. It's got calories. Why go looking for a habit you don't already have.

I'm thrilled not to be a drinker at all. I save money. I'm very popular as a designated driver. I found that when everyone else is tipsy, I can feel very carefree and tipsy myself without the treat of a headache, hangover or doing something I regret later.

I can't figure out why you would need to like wine.

Bingo, we have a winner! The most sensible answer of all!

Drink whatever you enjoy. There is no good reason to waste money on something you don't like that gives you a headache.

But I see people drinking wine and it looks so good.
So take whatever beverage you like to drink, pour it into a wine glass, and it will look just as good. ;)

I am a wine drinker, not abuser--some on these boards don't seem to understand the difference.

There are a number of reasons you can get a headache from wine, the most common is actually dehydration. For every glass of wine you need to have a glass of water.

Sulfites (not nitrates) can cause headaches, but they aren't found in all wines, which is why some will give you a headache while others won't, even if they are the same varietal. Sulfites are added during the wine making process as one way to control fermentation, there are other ways to do so which some winemakers employ.

Two other causes of headaches are histamines and tannins which are more often found in the skins of red grapes. And one last cause is rare but a cause just the same--allergies to oak. If you are allergic to oak trees, wines aged in barrels are not going to be kind to you. Instead opt for white wines such as pinot gris/grigio or Reisling which aren't barreled. Most sauvignon blancs and some chardonnays are also unoaked.

If you don't care for dry wines, reislings and pinot grigio are a good starting point, as well as muscato. Try to pair the wine with the right food. A juicy sangiovese/chianti with a pot of pasta and sauce or pizza will cut through the tannins and make the wine enjoyable.

White grenache is amazing although it can be hard to find. It's fairly light bodied, off dry, and you'll taste tropical notes, especially tangerines.

And please don't drink white zinfandel, that stuff is vile. :)

By the way, dessert wines are sweet, but often cloying. They aren't something you'd typical sip as a refreshing quaff, but instead you'd pair them with certain desserts. While I've got friends who love dessert wines, personally I think Sauternes and Tokaji are blech. If I'm going to have something with dessert, I'd rather have a tawny port. Just my two cents.

Why don't you just accept the fact that you don't like wine and stop trying to find a wine you might like. Personally I don't like Scotch. Instead of forcing myself to try different Scotches in case I might find one that I "might" be able to swallow (YECH):eek:, I just don't get within 10 feet of a glass of liquid crap! Of course those who like the stuff will certainly disagree with my slant on things.

Agree with drinking water w/wine. It helps immensely.

You could also try a white merlot, that is sweeter. And Ice wine is pretty sweet, but that can get pricey.

I used to hate wine. Unfortunately, I thought white zinfandel was good :eek: and that was the limit of my "wine" drinking. Started going to a monthly wine tasting with a friend and was surprised I started liking some of the reds and whites. Now I only drink red, the drier the better. So give it some time and just keep sampling. :)

First of all, I'm not wanting to become a wino. All I'm saying is I wish I liked it becuse it looks so good. I have only tried a few. I know there are a lot of people who are experts and I wanted their opinion. Please don't judge me for asking a question.

Those of you that have given me some ideas,,,,,,,,,,,,,thank you. Much appreciated. I am jotting all your ideas down.

I don't like wine either, though I can mix some with soda and that makes it a bit more palatable. I do like sangria though. Should note that I'm not exactly what you call "sophisticated"; I'm sure a wine expert would cringe at the idea of mixing a nice red wine with coca-cola.

True wine drinkers might not agree with this, but I love Sangria. It is a red wine but is sweetened with fruit. You might like because it more like a punch.

Also, reds are usually not chilled. I prefer to drink them cold. So, I often add ice. I know, sacrilege.

Anyway, if you don't like wine, you don't like wine. And, if you don't like it, you really aren't missing anything.:)

Although I have some on occasion, I don't really like wine all that well either. It's got to be a sweeter wine and fruity for me to drink it at all.

I actually don't much like any alcohol, even beer, so I guess it's just something in how it tastes. I'm happy enough not to have to pay for and work off the extra calories.

I think lots of people get into wine and drinking in general because they think it's cool and sophisticated or just to join the crowd. Come on, except for fro-fro drinks, it doesn't really taste good. To Me!

I don't really get the drinking culture, but I'm glad many people enjoy it.

I don't like wine either, though I can mix some with soda and that makes it a bit more palatable. I do like sangria though. Should note that I'm not exactly what you call "sophisticated"; I'm sure a wine expert would cringe at the idea of mixing a nice red wine with coca-cola.

I am NO expert. But I have never heard of mixing wine with Coca cola. Really?

I'm the opposite, I love sharing a great bottle of wine with friends/family. We've had some of the best moments in life visiting wineries. I can't imagine life without it, but I wouldn't consider us winos as we only drink wine one night a week.

It wasn't always this way, I had to learn to appreciate wine. I'm still no expert, nowhere near that. I even will still buy a bottle if I like the label. But what I have learned that the best wine is the one you like regardless of what the next person may prefer. My taste goes to dry reds and perhaps a Sauvignon Blanc if we want a white.

White Zinfandel...is it really wine, it's gross to me. I have a hard time with chardonnay as well, too heavy and oaky to me. Give me a good Cab or Pinot any day. I'll also drink sangria, as long as the sweetness is from fruit, not a sweet wine.

It takes time and a lot of sampling, but I don't see the point if you really don't want to drink wine. I don't care for beer or soft drinks, have tried both but just don't care for carbonation. I'll stick with wine, water, fruit juice and wine.

We all like what we like!

Archived