I Wish I liked Wine....

kpgibbs

OP: I'm right there with you but I have another oddity as well: I don't like coffee either :eek:!!! Oh wait! I don't like beer either but give me something sweet and fruity like a huckleberry martini and I'm happy!

Maybe that's why I'm still single? Guys around here always wants to go out for coffee or wine tasting for a first date :rolleyes:.

Stick with what you do like and forget about the wine.

I am NO expert. But I have never heard of mixing wine with Coca cola. Really?

My wife bought a couple bottles to try, I just couldn't stand it. But if I mixed it with coca cola, then it was ok (but truth be told, I'd probably still prefer straight soda). Just checked, it's a Shiraz Merlot (like I know what that means, just know it's wine and it's red).

On the bright side, I save tons on the bar bill (because normally, I don't buy a single drink).

I read over and over about people bringing wine onboard. I really wish I liked wine. I have tried several. I know for sure I don't like red wine. And I don't like really dry wine. And wine tends to give me a headache.

Can anyone suggest a wine I might like? I like sweeter drinks. My drink of choice is a Colorado Bulldog. But I see people drinking wine and it looks so good.

Someone please help me like wine.:rolleyes:

Just keep tasting! Attend wine tastings at local stores - visit some wineries - there are many in TX.

As many have said there are several sweeter sparkling wines - try mixed w/ OJ (mimosa) or with macerated peach (bellini).

Wine spritzers are a good entry

Jam Jar is a yummy red!

For a real treat try a "Late Harvest" wine -a dessert wine that rolls over your tongue like silk!

Thanks everyone. I know I should probably go to some tastings. Someday I will.

The problem with my drink of choice (Colorado Bulldog) they are very expensive and very fattening.

I watch people drink wine, and they make it look sooo good. I want it to be good.

I don't really get the drinking culture, but I'm glad many people enjoy it.

Liking wine does not equate with a "drinking culture" or being an alcoholic any more than enjoying fine dining makes you obese. Overdoing either is not good. Enjoying both in moderation adds to the joy of life.

Why do the non-wine drinkers, on this thread at least, assume that everyone who enjoys a glass of wine before or with dinner is automatically an alcoholic? I don't make that assumption about people who drink things I don't like.

Liking wine does not equate with a "drinking culture" or being an alcoholic any more than enjoying fine dining makes you obese. Overdoing either is not good. Enjoying both in moderation adds to the joy of life.

Why do the non-wine drinkers, on this thread at least, assume that everyone who enjoys a glass of wine before or with dinner is automatically an alcoholic? I don't make that assumption about people who drink things I don't like.

That is not what I meant at all; I'm sorry if you took it that way.

I am not a teetotaler and do have wine or a cocktail once in a while. I was mostly referring to those who just can't enjoy something or have a good time without drinking. I truly don't get that; I didn't say it was wrong, it's just not something I understand.

Of course I don't think everyone who enjoys wine or other drinks is an alcoholic! Gosh.

I live in Northern California and close to Napa so we have a large selection of different wines. I find that most people start with the sweeter wines and work their way up to the fuller bodied wines. The wines suggested are great starter wines and will help you decide if wine is in your future. Most wines are either a blend or made from one certain grape. I myself prefer tempranillo and chardonnay.

Cheers --

Well said. That's like saying that everyone who drinks sweet tea or soda is a diabetic.

Bravo for continuing to try new things despite having a few unpleasant experiences. It's like me and gin. I hate gin...or so I thought. Someone served me a drink made with Hendricks brand gin and I really enjoyed it.

Others have suggested good ideas: sweeter german whites, white zinfandel, prosecco muscato, cava...all good ideas to try. If those begin to taste too sweet over time, then you can try something like a sauvingion blanc. Nice and light, but not overly dry nor sweet. Someday you might even find you'll grow to like the dry reds.

True wine drinkers might not agree with this, but I love Sangria. It is a red wine but is sweetened with fruit. You might like because it more like a punch.

Also, reds are usually not chilled. I prefer to drink them cold. So, I often add ice. I know, sacrilege.

Anyway, if you don't like wine, you don't like wine. And, if you don't like it, you really aren't missing anything.:)

I'm seriously not trying to be a snob, because I'm not a wine connnesieur, but thought you might be interested in learning this tidbit. Or maybe you already know this. Sangria isn't a "red wine." It's a punch made with red wine. You can buy bottles of it that look like wine, but it's really wine mixed with some kind of fruit or brandy additive.

Try sweet white wines -- Rhine wines (either German or domestic), or Chilean Reisling. Rose d'Anjou is a light, sweet wine - and, this time of year ask for May Wine (sweetened Rhine wine). White wines and roses lack sulfites and rarely leave you with a headache.

But, if you really do not like wine, don't worry -- give it a try, it is healthier than liquor, but simply not for everyone -- not a matter of sophistication -- just individual taste.

I'm seriously not trying to be a snob, because I'm not a wine connnesieur, but thought you might be interested in learning this tidbit. Or maybe you already know this. Sangria isn't a "red wine." It's a punch made with red wine. You can buy bottles of it that look like wine, but it's really wine mixed with some kind of fruit or brandy additive.

I even compared Sangria to a punch. lol

The first time I had sangria, my friend who had lived in Spain, made it for me.

She used a dry red, and ginger ale or 7-up, and added all kinds of fruit, citrus, apples, grapes and strawberries. It was yummy. But I think you could use club soda to get the fizz and add fruit and it would be just as good or better.

I like White Zinfadel because it is very light. My problem is that I dislike the tartness of most wines, and don't like sweet wines. So I keep looking for the perfect wine.

Thanks everyone. I know I should probably go to some tastings. Someday I will.

The problem with my drink of choice (Colorado Bulldog) they are very expensive and very fattening.

I watch people drink wine, and they make it look sooo good. I want it to be good.

I too am a big fan of a cream based drink - I modified it to make it a little more diet friendly. I call it a Skinny Russian Tootsie - very yummy

Kahlua

Pinnacle Chocolate Whipped Vodka

and the skinny part - Almond Milk

Really, really, really good - I get the 40 calories in 8 oz Vanilla flavored unsweetened Almond Milk

Try it

There is a wide gamut of wines to try, same as there is a HUGE selection of beer to try. There are people don't like Coor's Light who think they don't like beer. There is very little beer that is as foul as Coor's Light but you hafta be willing to try others to find out. Wine is the same way. Annie Green Springs' Plum Hollow will indeed leave most people plumb hollow.

Personally, I've never had a white wine that I would pay for again and that includes champagne (including Dom). On the other hand, I can easily drink Red Truck, Coppolla Petit Syrrah, Bell's Syrrah, Gravity Hills Syrah, Tobin James Syrah,.....well, it's a long list......

Then again, if you don't like wine, it doesn't make you a bad person.

I worked at a wine bar a few years ago and learned alot about wine. One wine I would always recommend to people that don't like red wine or dry wine was a white wine from Argentina called New Age. It was on the sweeter side. Everyone who tried it loved it. Hope this helps.:)

I too am a big fan of a cream based drink - I modified it to make it a little more diet friendly. I call it a Skinny Russian Tootsie - very yummy

Kahlua

Pinnacle Chocolate Whipped Vodka

and the skinny part - Almond Milk

Really, really, really good - I get the 40 calories in 8 oz Vanilla flavored unsweetened Almond Milk

Try it

OMG, that sounds wonderful. I will try it. Thanks

Although I have some on occasion, I don't really like wine all that well either. It's got to be a sweeter wine and fruity for me to drink it at all.

I actually don't much like any alcohol, even beer, so I guess it's just something in how it tastes. I'm happy enough not to have to pay for and work off the extra calories.

I think lots of people get into wine and drinking in general because they think it's cool and sophisticated or just to join the crowd. Come on, except for fro-fro drinks, it doesn't really taste good. To Me!

I don't really get the drinking culture, but I'm glad many people enjoy it.

I started this thread so I could get some ideas of what wines I might like. I am 44 years old and I'm not part of the "drinking culture" I don't have to drink because I think it's cool or sophisticated or to join the crowd. I may have one drink once a month. I had no idea how harsh some people would be over a simple question about wine.

My heart doctor told me to drink one glass of red wine a day. I tried. I really did. I just couldn't do it. I told the guy at the store my story and that I didn't like wine. He suggested this perticular wine. It was horrible. I just couldn't develope a taste for it. Sure looked good and pretty though.

Harsh? Really? It looks to me like several options were laid out.

MD 20/20 is another option if you don't like wine but the sawbones thinks it would be a good idea to drink some. The MD 20/20 is more like grape juice than wine.

I started this thread so I could get some ideas of what wines I might like. I am 44 years old and I'm not part of the "drinking culture" I don't have to drink because I think it's cool or sophisticated or to join the crowd. I may have one drink once a month. I had no idea how harsh some people would be over a simple question about wine.

My heart doctor told me to drink one glass of red wine a day. I tried. I really did. I just couldn't do it. I told the guy at the store my story and that I didn't like wine. He suggested this perticular wine. It was horrible. I just couldn't develope a taste for it. Sure looked good and pretty though.

Harsh? Really? It looks to me like several options were laid out.

MD 20/20 is another option if you don't like wine but the sawbones thinks it would be a good idea to drink some. The MD 20/20 is more like grape juice than wine.

Did you even read my post? I said SOME people. I have also thanked the ones that answered my question with respect. I am well aware of what MD 20/20 is. Thank you.

I've tried wine a few times before, and I've never really liked it much. So my solution is simple: I don't drink it. I don't begrudge people who enjoy it, but I don't feel like I'm missing anything by abstaining.

I'm not trying to be harsh, so please don't take it that way. I'm simply curious as to why you are so eager to find a wine that you would enjoy, given that you've already tried a few and not liked them at all. You've mentioned several times that other people have made it look good, to which I would say that anyone enjoying something they like will make that thing look good. No doubt someone might see you enjoying a Colorado Bulldog and think that it must be really good, for you to enjoy it so. But everyone's tastes are different.

I believe the reference to the "drinking culture" isn't to alcoholism, but rather to those who simply cannot fathom a social situation without alcoholic beverages being a part of it. I personally know several people who are like this. They aren't alcoholics by any stretch of the imagination, but the consumption of wine looms large in their lifestyle. To each their own.

the consumption of wine looms large in their lifestyle. To each their own.

Some people go to Nascar races and collect pit passes and driver autographs. Some people watch football and collect memorabilia. Some people read and belong to book clubs. Yet others collect wine and go to tastings and wine dinners. It's a hobby. Those of us who do a lot of tasting also do a lot of spitting. The idea isn't to get drunk, it's to sample a variety of different wines. By the way, a properly paired wine can absolutely enhance many types of food.

Archived