Ephesus vs Olympia vs Pompei

Just curious to know from those who have been to all three - which made the most impression on you and which was the most incredible site to be on? (both from historical aspect and visual)?

I will say I loved them all but I think Pompeii

is clearly the most incredible as it is by far the biggest site, and has most variety. And being buried under ash for 1700 years makes it easily (like Herculaneum
) the best preserved. Scores highly both for history and visual.

As 6rugrats says, there's not much too see at Olympia

but for a sports nut like me it gets 10/10 for history and the Archaeological Museum there is excellent. But if the fact that this where sport began in 776 BC doesn't wow you it is a clear no 3 in your list.

Ephesus

is very good both visually and for history, but make sure you go into the Terraced Houses to get the most from your visit.

So them's my thoughts :)

Tony

I can only comment on two of the two of the three; Ephesus and Pompeii.

I'd say it would be like asking do I like a good peach or orange better when both are sweet and ripe.

They have such different historical significance and history that you really can't compare. To my kids they were just more ruins, to me and the older crowd both wondeful. I can't imagine missing either, nor if I choose a cruise thru these parts would I pick one over the other to skip.

thanks for the advice - still looking at itineraries - some do Naples, some do Kusadasi, some do both.

I'm trying to research and plan independently of my friends and their baby for the most part, since I'd rather not miss out on something by booking a ship tour and I hear private tours give you so much more. Maybe we can make our own plans and not necessarily do everything with my friends.

Would Ephesus/Pompei be places where a private tour will offer more options? Or will a ship tour do just fine?

My vote goes to Ephesus. I have visited there twice. The first time was a land trip (no rush) and it was a pilgrimage tour. The second time was last year, on a port day. From a biblical and historical perspective Ephesus is amazingly significant.

A personal friend and pastor that I went with has visited Ephesus many, many times over the past 30 years and has witnessed the progress of the archaeological digs and discoveries. There is still much to be unearthed. Perhaps his stories and descriptions have influenced me, but I found it extremely fascinating!

We enjoyed Olympia, too. We had a fabulous guide who made it even more interesting.

I have not visited Pompeii, yet. Hope to get there some day.

We really enjoyed all three places. I am no history buff, but my 11-yr-old son's enthusiasm in all things Greek and Roman must have rubbed off on me. I think helping the kids do research into these sites really spiked my interest. Can't really decide which one I would give up - but if I really had to choose between the three I would go to Ephesus and Pompeii.

thanks for the advice - still looking at itineraries - some do Naples, some do Kusadasi, some do both.

I'm trying to research and plan independently of my friends and their baby for the most part, since I'd rather not miss out on something by booking a ship tour and I hear private tours give you so much more. Maybe we can make our own plans and not necessarily do everything with my friends.

Would Ephesus/Pompei be places where a private tour will offer more options? Or will a ship tour do just fine?

It will depend on how many will be taking the private tour..and I assume you would mean without the baby for a private tour here...minimum 450 to 550 Euro for the day plus admission to Pompeii. However, if it is just 2 of you going that day, the ship's tour will be better priced.

As far as Ephesus, I currently have a ship's tour booked for my 6, but an planning on changing and doing a half day private tour that will take dollars as payment and will offer a little more.

Dont rule out ship tour when appropriate and dont rule out private when appropriate...every port is different.

However, with a baby it tow that you are not responsible for, but will impact your enjoyment anyway...do consider the ship tours in places that you really want to see everything at a no risk cost..i.e. the parents backing out of a privat tour and leaving you to pay the bill:mad:

I would say Athens, Istanbul, Naples, Florence should have ship tours. ...so that you are assured not to miss the important stuff. and don't have to be concerned about the parents.

IMHO..while I do know it can be done...do these parents realize the stress and strain that they will unknowingly be putting on their traveling companions? Please don't tell me that it is all about them and please tell me that they are clued in to the impact their baby may or may not have on the overall enjoyment of the others.

I have raised 4 kids over a 20 year period so I have met the "baby boomer" parents..way too relaxed with their kids... as well as the "me generation" parents...still slightly neurotic with their kids ..but these new "Gen X" parents really take the cake...They see right thru everything and really just believe it is all about them.....my personal opinion is that they are way too stressed with the economy, jobs, homes and the like and that is what is taking the toll on them.....so sad

We really enjoyed all three places. I am no history buff, but my 11-yr-old son's enthusiasm in all things Greek and Roman must have rubbed off on me. I think helping the kids do research into these sites really spiked my interest. Can't really decide which one I would give up - but if I really had to choose between the three I would go to Ephesus and Pompeii.

from first hand experience...kids need to go to Europe..they want to go to Europe..and they learn so much there.

I consider it my contribution to homeschooling! LOL...then I send them back to the teachers for 9 months!:D

When we saw the subject (Ephesus vs Olympia vs Pompeii) our immedate reaction was that Olympia should not even be in the same sentence as the other two. For us, having been to ruins all over the world, Ephesus is in a class by itself. Pompeii (and nearby Herculanium) are also quite amazing as is the lesser visited Ostia Antica (near Rome's FCO airport).

Hank

You will find that private tours give you good value and more flexibility. You will have more time at each site and will be able to see more places. By all means, go on a cruise that goes both to Kusadasi and Naples. Ephesus will give your kids a view of ancient Greek and early Christian culture (and some Roman). Pompeii and Herculaneum are from the height of the Roman empire. Pompeii was the "big city" and Herculaneum was the upper class seaside resort with beautifully preserved houses. You can see them both in one day with a private tour. They are close to each other.

I enjoyed Olympia. The museum is first class and the athletic facilities are really interesting. You might have seen on TV the lighting of the Olympic flame there this year. However, we drove there on a couple of occasions. Not on a ship's tour. But I agree, if you have to leave one out, this would be the one.

There are plenty of recommendations for private tours in Ephesus on this board. Go to the Italy board for tour guides out of Naples. And do them on your own. The family with the baby will be better off on a ship's tour. And that is another reason NOT to go on a ship's tour!

I too can only comment on the two I have been to : Ephesus and Pompeii.

Both of these sites I have been to twice....... enjoying them just as much the second go round as the first !

As for private versus ships tours - I will say that we do a bit of both along with some DIY depending on the port.

But for Ephesus and Pompeii we use private tour companies. We have used the same ones for both visits.

Our second visit to Pompeii we not only used the same tour company but had the same private guide (booked thru the tour company but at an extra cost - well worth the $$) and she showed us a completely different set of wonderful sites there. Of course Pompeii is so big that you could visit numerous times and not see it all. We also did the Amalfi coast drive both times after Pompeii and it is perhaps the most beautiful area yet I have been to in Europe.

For our stop in Kusadasi we also used the same tour company both visits. Second visit we changed up the itinerary a bit.....asking for more time in Sirince and also a nice late lunch/early dinner after Ephesus/Terrace houses on the way back to the ship. They delivered a great day both times. Funny thing, we ran into our guide from our first trip at Ephesus and he remembered my husband !

To me, both of these sites need a guide. I love history but these ruins would have just been a bunch of well, ruins without a guide to tell us what they were, how they were used, how the people lived here and how they died here. Just my opinion. :)

Archived