Foodie Question: Iberico de Bellota Pork

S O B

Our first O cruise is still a long way off in 2013 but we tease ourselves constantly following the CC Forum and perusing the Riviera menus. I came across the Iberico de Bellota Pork listed on the Polo Grill menu and wonder if anyone here has tried it and can share an opinion.

I just love a great steakhouse and naturally gravitate toward the beef, veal and lamb entrees. I couldn't imagine going to a steakhouse and ordering ham: it just would seem inappropriate to the occasion. So I looked up this item and have read on the internet that it is a highly prized cured ham from the Spain/Portugal border, made from special black pigs fed a diet of acorns and cured for three years. One site says it sells for $96/pound in the US if it can be found here. Ham?

The info I found implies that it is normally served extra thin. I'm feeling it is typically similar to Proscuitto, shaved basically. However, the Polo Grill menu states that it is served as a 14 oz T-Bone cut.

Has anyone experienced this meal? If I can only score one night in the Polo, I'll probably have to order the veal chop. But if I can score a second reservation, I might have to try the ham if it's as exquisite as some websites imply.

I asked the same question here recently and this is the reply I got. I'm not sure if the person who replied had tried it at the Polo Grill:

Iberico de Bellota T-bone would indeed be a centre cut pork chop but from what many would say (esp. if they are Spanish) is the finest pork in the world. It is a very old special breed that is range fed and finished by feeding acorns. It is hard to get, certainly in my area, so this would be an opportunity to try something special.

We leave for our cruise on the Riviera in a few days and my husband loves roast pork or pork chops so he may want to try it.

If it is that rare and expensive (above quote of $96/lb), I wonder if the name is used somewhat like the Kobe burger in the Waves (which is not really Kobe beef at all)?

I don't think I have tried it on the Marina - or if I did, it obviously did not make a lasting impression :)

Reallly upsetting to read when someone questions the quality and in this case, the cost of an item for no good reason other than to be a skeptic. The Waves burger is indeed Wagyu Kobe Beef and it is "advertised" as such on the menu board. The beef dish served in the new Connoisseur Menu in La Reserve, is #10 Kobe Beef, the highest grade possible!

Speaking from lots of experience, the Iberico de Bellota is the highest quality pork available anywhere. While the Polo T-Bone grilled version is delicious, one of my favorite dishes onboard Marina and Riviera is the Bellota Pork served in Jacques. Instead of a grilled steak, its a marinated juicy roast slowly cooked in the rotisserie oven. The best pork I've had ANYWHERE.

FDR

Sounds scrumptious. I may have to change my traditional prime rib in Polo for the pork ...

Such a dilemma. What to eat? Maybe I'll order BOTH!

Thanks for the clarification!

Mura

I very much appreciate FDR's recomendation on the Iberico de Bellota. If this is the best pork anywhere then I'm going to take the opportunity (which may be once in a lifetime) to experience such a treat. And now that he has alerted me to the rotisserie version offered at Jacque's I'm going to have to rethink my menu choices there as well. <sigh.>

I think we're simply going to have to just sell the house and go on one of the Grand Voyages so we have enough time to try everything in each of the fabulous restaurants!

Thank you for the input and clarification, FDR. It is truly encouraging to see a cruise line so responsive and attuned to passengers' concerns from even the most basic inquiries to line-defining criticisms. My husband and I are sailing Oceania for the first time on the Riviera at the end of the week and we are really looking forward to enjoying the product of such dedication, especially the unique culinary offerings, like the Bellota!

Darn, We just sailed on Marina and I didn't notice the pork on the menu. I was sort of watching for it but I didn't notice in Jacques. Guess we'll have to go again. Funny, out of all the wonderful entres, my favorite food on board was a chocolate croissant and bowl of berries for breakfast on the Terrace Grill. I'm not a morning person but I managed to get there every day before my 8AM tour.

Funny, out of all the wonderful entres, my favorite food on board was a chocolate croissant and bowl of berries for breakfast on the Terrace Grill. I'm not a morning person but I managed to get there every day before my 8AM tour.

That and some bacon and eggs (on the side) :D

I had a reply prepped this morning and as i clicked to post the whole browser crashed! I gather I was to re-edit my reply :)

As has been noted it is not 'ham'. Even the ham is not 'ham'. This pork is taken very seriously in Spain. Wikipedia: "Hams in Spain are not only classified according to preparation, but also the breed, the pre-slaughter diet and region of preparation are considered important". With Jamón Ibérico (Iberian ham), even the amount of acorns they are fed is part of the classification.

I have ordered the 'pork chop' in Polo and it was delicious though served a little pink for me. I was impressed at how evenly most of the meat was cooked considering how thick it was. Very juicy, very tasty.

Now after reading FDR's comment on Jacques my order is decided. It amazes me that not only am I planning a vacation on Riviera, I am planing my meals! Okay so dinner on July 23rd is taken care of. Now how can I fit in a Culinary class and Afternoon Tea on ...

I have some input on both of those. The Culinary class is a must do if you are a foodie. We sailed on Holland last year where the culinary classes are treated as entertainment; I was really disappointed. This year I was a little apprehensive about taking up part of one and only at sea day and spending extra $'s on a culinary class. I am so glad I did. Chef Noelle brings a ton of high level restaurant experience and a great amount of passion for food to the class. My only regret is that I didn't sign up for more or even one of her market excursions. Sign up as soon as the classes become available because they do fill up fast. The tea... was just so so - no chocolate croissants, no cucumber sandwiches.

My mouth salivates at the description of the offerings on the O class ships. But those of us sailing on R class may not have all the variety served on the O restaurants, at least based on the menus O posts on line by ship classification. I am refering to Polo, Waves, and the Terrace specifically. Not a criticism, just a dose of reality to avoid disappointment.

I am not much of a chocoholic but those croissants are indeed excellent. No 'chocolately' like filling. I enjoy them as a 'starter' to breakfast (before the muesli topped with fresh raspberries & blueberries followed by ...) when DW is away from the table. The breads from bakery is exceptional. The 'danish' pastries too. I almost think they have a true danish konditor on staff

Reallly upsetting to read when someone questions the quality and in this case, the cost of an item for no good reason other than to be a skeptic. The Waves burger is indeed Wagyu Kobe Beef and it is "advertised" as such on the menu board. The beef dish served in the new Connoisseur Menu in La Reserve, is #10 Kobe Beef, the highest grade possible!

Despite many American beef products being labeled Kobe, authentic Japanese Kobe

( Wagyu ) Beef is not available for sale anywhere outside Japan, with the solitary exception of Macau

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_beef

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagyu

Despite many American beef products being labeled Kobe, authentic Japanese Kobe ( Wagyu ) Beef is not available for sale anywhere outside Japan, with the solitary exception of Macau

Wolfgang Puck probably doesn't sell less steak even though he is quite precise listing his Wagyu on the menu as "American Wagyu/Angus 'Kobe Style' Beef from Snake River Farms Idaho." Jean-Georges Vongerichten probably doesn't sell any less steak even though he, too, is quite precise listing his Wagyu as "Rangers Valley Australian Beef Wagyu filet mignon." And some chefs, like Mario Batali, sidestep the issue altogether by serving Angus beef in their steakhouses.

Since Oceania appeals to foodie cruisers, I'm actually somewhat baffled by the use of the word Kobe without any hypens (e.g. "American-Kobe" or "Kobe-style.") The meat on the plate in front of us is undeniably delicious and luxurious, but why suggest it is imported from Japan when it almost certainly is not? Why not make accuracy on the menu as much a part of the culinary education of cruisers as the excellent and popular cooking classes aboard Marina and Riviera?

I suspect this terminology precision is a losing battle. The example of champagne doesn't offer much hope. French Champagne producers haven't made much headway in getting people to use the term "sparkling wine" when referring to wine produced outside the legal growing area of a very specific region in France. Why should the Japanese Kobe beef growers succeed for Wagyu beef raised in Australia or the US or where ever?

I have had the Bellota pork in Jacques and it is as FDR has said the most marvelous pork you will probably ever eat. YUM!!!!

Perhaps - but did you see those prices? The Kobe Beef steaks were about $50 for an 8 oz filet mignon :eek:

BTW, I wonder what that lawsuit against Forbes magazine is all about?

Here's the link to the last of several articles in Forbes on the topic of Kobe beef in the US. It provides a good overview of the issues in the form of answers to some frequently asked questions. For those who care to read more, this article includes links to the earlier articles.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/04/19/kobe-and-wagyu-beef-final-thoughts-and-clarifications/

Here's the link to the last of several articles in Forbes on the topic of Kobe beef in the US. It provides a good overview of the issues in the form of answers to some frequently asked questions. For those who care to read more, this article includes links to the earlier articles.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/04/19/kobe-and-wagyu-beef-final-thoughts-and-clarifications/

Thank you again for that very informative reading. I book-marked it for my future reference.

Archived