Upsells or Upgrades on June 2nd Sailings?

fsdj1097

I was able to go from a VD to an SS for $149 PP.

I heard of someone else about a week and a half before me that got that offer too, and didn't want it. And then she got it again yesterday.

The cabins keep closing and opening for sale. I've been monitoring them and it looks like they are doing lots of shuffling.

This is the Zuiderdam, right?

I was able to go from a VD to an SS for $149 PP.

I heard of someone else about a week and a half before me that got that offer too, and didn't want it. And then she got it again yesterday.

The cabins keep closing and opening for sale. I've been monitoring them and it looks like they are doing lots of shuffling.

This is the Zuiderdam, right?

Yes, the Zuiderdam.

My experience is that the up sale window was about 10-days prior to sailing.

However, I've had upsell offers up until the week of sailing. A couple of years back, we had a call on Wednesday before our Saturday sailing offering an upsell.

It's crazy watching the HAL website. I looked once and all but the Inside cabins were showing as 'Call for Pricing and Availability', then looked again a short time later and all cabins had pricing listed.

Got a second offer today. Going from our upsell of 149 SS to a Deluxe verandah suite for another 149. Didn't take it. Not to impressed with the suite perks. And, that would have made $600 total in upsells. Nahhhh.

I have a subscription on one of those sites that monitors. You should see the changes. They offer upsells, take the higher cat offline and offer the lower cat they just cleared...then reopen the higher...close the lower, open it again. You can literally watch them working it like a switchboard! I think they know people watch, and will grab something that reappears if they are so lucky.

BTW, I don't know if it makes a difference, but we have a PCC. He's a great guy.

Got a second offer today. Going from our upsell of 149 SS to a Deluxe verandah suite for another 149. Didn't take it. Not to impressed with the suite perks. And, that would have made $600 total in upsells. Nahhhh.

I have a subscription on one of those sites that monitors. You should see the changes. They offer upsells, take the higher cat offline and offer the lower cat they just cleared...then reopen the higher...close the lower, open it again. You can literally watch them working it like a switchboard! I think they know people watch, and will grab something that reappears if they are so lucky.

BTW, I don't know if it makes a difference, but we have a PCC. He's a great guy.

I LOVE your signature:D:D:D - wish I had your site that monitors - that would be fun. Great post and congrats on your will power:)

I LOVE your signature:D:D:D - wish I had your site that monitors - that would be fun. Great post and congrats on your will power:)

Thanks! If every bite could always be a different Amuse bouche, I'd be one happy person. It's the epitome of perfect food.

Sorry, I probably didn't explain the monitor site that well. It just notifies me when prices change or categories are closed or reopened. I'm on the Z on the 2nd, and the monitor site has been really busy. I know of offers I'm getting, and offers another person is getting, and it was funny that right after I took an upsell on two cabins, my category opened for sale again, and the one I upsold to closed. And then the same thing happened when the other person took an upsell the next day.

My TA had a call this morning to offer us an upsell for $149 per person. It didn't take me but a New York second to accept it!

My TA had a call this morning to offer us an upsell for $149 per person. It didn't take me but a New York second to accept it!

May I ask from what category and to what category was your upsell?

Good for you Sam! Hoping you enjoy your upteenth million trip back to our favorite place on earth!:D Smooth sailing to you!

We are really excited. Have you seen the latest HAL Mariner magazine. They're now offering the 14-day cruise on the Amsterdam in 2013, but only in August and September.

I know how much you love that itenerary. We would take it, but DW's work schedule won't permit it.

YAY!!!! I was crossing my fingers, toes and eyes for you!!! I wanted so much to call my PCC and tell him, no, don't want the next upsell, but I sure know someone who would be grateful!!

Sam, if you see a short, chubby, dark haired Alaskan Native looking woman with a grumpy looking bald guy with a moustache- say hi! Of course, after day 2, he should be grinning ear to ear :-)

Re: the monitoring site- I've mentioned the site once before, but I guess it was breaking the CC rules to post a link. I tried spelling out the name, and yet again, breaking CC rules. They have a small fee for creating an alert, but it's cheap and through paypal. You could probably FISH the internet for it.

Yay! I'm leaving next week! OK, NOW I'm excited!!!!

:p

YAY!!!! I was crossing my fingers, toes and eyes for you!!! I wanted so much to call my PCC and tell him, no, don't want the next upsell, but I sure know someone who would be grateful!!

Sam, if you see a short, chubby, dark haired Alaskan Native looking woman with a grumpy looking bald guy with a moustache- say hi! Of course, after day 2, he should be grinning ear to ear :-)

Re: the monitoring site- I've mentioned the site once before, but I guess it was breaking the CC rules to post a link. I tried spelling out the name, and yet again, breaking CC rules. They have a small fee for creating an alert, but it's cheap and through paypal. You could probably FISH the internet for it.

Yay! I'm leaving next week! OK, NOW I'm excited!!!!

:p

I will certainly be looking for you next week! I would have had to think long and hard if the upsell had been what you would have paid, too. At $149, it was a no-brainer ;).

I see in your profile that you study Tlingit art. We'll be bringing my grandson along who still remembers some of the Tlingit language that we heard during a presentation give at the visitor center at the top of Mount Roberts. Are you a related to the native Alaskans in that area? Do you speak the Tlingit language? During the presentation it was told that the language was in danger of becoming extinct. My grandson (and I) would love to visit with you while onboard if possible.

:) Yes, I'm half Tlingit. I don't speak the language tho. My mother was born and raised in Juneau, in the 1930's. Prime time for when assimiliation was enforced, and the natives were forbidden to speak. Fortunately, the language survived in the small native villages.

The Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act in the 1970's created native corporations- and those corporations have been the key to cultural revival, including the language. Many Tlingit are learning the language thanks to funding from those corporations. I hope to learn when I move back in a few years. I live and work in California.

The Tram in Juneau is owned by one of those corporations. :-) You will find that many of the young people who work there are nearly fluent in Tlingit.

The Tlingit are a matrilineal society, so I'm not viewed as half, as it was my mother who was Tlingit. I study the art, visit as often as I can, and am an accomplished bead artist.

I'd love to visit, altho I'm not nearly as interesting as those who live there. I moved away before the corporationss started the programs to revive everything. I know a some about the foods and gathering and preparing them, and my mother and some grandmothers taught me beadwork.

I appreciate your interests more than I can say. I know everyone finds something different in Alaska, but there are many who can't see past the very unAlaskan cruise owned/promoted stores. I appreciate those who enjoy the culture, or just appreciate the pristine beauty of the land.

There's a point in the cruise, where the air has a feel and smell that is spritzed by the glacier fields, and the water and foliage gets that certain grey tint to it, where I know I'm home.

Funny, huh, a Tlingit visiting home on a cruise ship!

Best way I know to be on the water!

We are really excited. Have you seen the latest HAL Mariner magazine. They're now offering the 14-day cruise on the Amsterdam in 2013, but only in August and September.

I know how much you love that itenerary. We would take it, but DW's work schedule won't permit it.

I just got the Spring/Summer issue and I only see the 2012 Alaska itinerary for the Amsterdam. I'd love to see HAL bring back the 14 day Alaska Explorer. Which issue did you receive and what page is it on???? We took it the first year it was offered and when I got off the ship in Seattle I thought that was a cruise I could enjoy taking every year! They have changed the itinerary since then but I'm sure it is still a wonderful cruise and I would like to do it again.

:) Yes, I'm half Tlingit. I don't speak the language tho. My mother was born and raised in Juneau, in the 1930's. Prime time for when assimiliation was enforced, and the natives were forbidden to speak. Fortunately, the language survived in the small native villages.

The Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act in the 1970's created native corporations- and those corporations have been the key to cultural revival, including the language. Many Tlingit are learning the language thanks to funding from those corporations. I hope to learn when I move back in a few years. I live and work in California.

The Tram in Juneau is owned by one of those corporations. :-) You will find that many of the young people who work there are nearly fluent in Tlingit.

The Tlingit are a matrilineal society, so I'm not viewed as half, as it was my mother who was Tlingit. I study the art, visit as often as I can, and am an accomplished bead artist.

I'd love to visit, altho I'm not nearly as interesting as those who live there. I moved away before the corporationss started the programs to revive everything. I know a some about the foods and gathering and preparing them, and my mother and some grandmothers taught me beadwork.

I appreciate your interests more than I can say. I know everyone finds something different in Alaska, but there are many who can't see past the very unAlaskan cruise owned/promoted stores. I appreciate those who enjoy the culture, or just appreciate the pristine beauty of the land.

There's a point in the cruise, where the air has a feel and smell that is spritzed by the glacier fields, and the water and foliage gets that certain grey tint to it, where I know I'm home.

Funny, huh, a Tlingit visiting home on a cruise ship!

Best way I know to be on the water!

I love history and especially native American history. I often feel like I was born a hundred years too late. I live in western Arkansas. We have tons of Cherokees and Choctaws just across the border in Oklahoma. Fort Smith has a rich history of being a jumping off place before heading into Indian Territory. The movie 'True Grit' tells a glamorized version of a U.S. Marshal and about the famous hangin' judge Issac Parker who brought justice to the area back in the late 1800s.

You're right about hitting the waters that start showing some of the glacier silt color. I try and spend as much time out on deck as possible to catch the first whale spout of the cruise.

DW and took our first cruise in 1998 to celebrate our 25 wedding anniversary. We quickly decided that this was something we wanted to do as much as possible together. Our dream is to take a HAL Grand World Voyage to celebrate out retirement in a few year.

Looking forward to meeting you on board.

I'm looking at the June 3rd sailing to Alaska on the Oosterdam, it looks like they are still working on getting all of the cabins sold. Only 3 of the 5 categories show "call for avail/price", the other 2 categories show prices. June 10th sailing shows prices for all categories. So my guess is there are still upsells being offered this week for June 3rd.

I'm looking at the June 3rd sailing to Alaska on the Oosterdam, it looks like they are still working on getting all of the cabins sold. Only 3 of the 5 categories show "call for avail/price", the other 2 categories show prices. June 10th sailing shows prices for all categories. So my guess is there are still upsells being offered this week for June 3rd.

One year, we received a call from our TA on Wednesday before a Saturday sailing offering an upsell. Are you looking for an upsell?

Archived