Zaandam 10-27-2012

Crusing Bob

Interested in any comments regarding the Holiday Inn on the Bay in San Diego for our upcoming stay in late October. I have read some comments that someone wouldn't stay there if it were free. Please give me your thoughts so I can cancel if it's that bad. A number of Holland America passengers stay here frequently and I didn't remember bad comments but I would like objective criticisms, please.

Bob

Stayed there a couple of years ago before boarding the Oosterdam. Had a room on tenth floor in same building as restaurant & reception desk. Nice roomy room with excellent view of cruiseship terminal. Stood on my balcony at 6:15 A.M. and watched the "O" sail in. I took their comp shuttle from airport to hotel and hotel to cruise ship terminal around 11:00 A.M. I know it's just across the street but quite a walk pulling luggage across the street. Restaurant offered good & economical food. I'd give it a 10 out of 10.:)

We stayed there in April for four nights before the Oosterdam Pacific Coastal cruise, and we found it to be really comfortable and convenient. There was a nice deli right next door, and great restaurant right in the hotel, shuttle from the airport, just a few blocks from the transit station...... We did have to wheel our luggage to the terminal, but it was only down about a half block to cross the street, and then the terminal was right there. I'd stay there again, but, you can hear the train at night tho' it didn't really bother me. Next time I'll ask for a room that faces the marina so I can see the ship sail in!

We've stayed there 2 or 3 times...the property is older but clean enough. It's the location that makes it so desirable:). We always get a harbor view and it's amazing to see your "ship come in" :)

There is a Ruth Chris steakhouse there, a deli with great coffee and breakfast and a pub in the hotel with decent food. Anthony's, a seafood restaurant is across the street, within a block or so is the star of India, harbor tour boats, and with 2-3 blocks is the USS midway and seaport village.

The hotel also has a shuttle that will take you to the airport, the zoo, and the gas lamp district.

For all of the above I would gladly stay there again:)

We have stayed many times pre and post cruise at the Embassy Suites. Embassy Suites is within walking distance of Seaport Village -- lots of shops and restaurants. Horton Plaza is within walking distance. Many times we have eaten at the Fish House -- next to Midway -- also within walking distance.

One time we walked up to the Holiday Inn -- we were not impressed with it.

Archived