Trip Insurance Question...

My friend and I are going on a cruise together and going to purchase our insurance together and I would like to know that if she should get sick and not be able to go on the cruise, would the insurance cover me cancelling too since I probably wouldn’t go by myself?

Thank you.

My friend and I are going on a cruise together and going to purchase our insurance together and I would like to know that if she should get sick and not be able to go on the cruise, would the insurance cover me cancelling too since I probably wouldn’t go by myself?

Thank you.

It all depends on the insurance you purchase. Some do, some don't. Read the fine print to make sure it includes this. If you're not sure, ask the insurance provider. I always make sure I have "cancel for any reason" and "trip interruption." If you purchase Princess cruise line insurance, you'd be covered. Depending on which level you purchase, you'd get either a 75% or 100% refund or as a credit towards a future cruise, depending on the reason for canceling. If your friend got sick and you decided not to cruise, you'd get a refund as that's a covered reason. If someone from your friend's family got sick and she wanted to stay home so you canceled, you'd get a credit.

It all depends on the insurance you purchase. Some do, some don't. Read the fine print to make sure it includes this. If you're not sure, ask the insurance provider. I always make sure I have "cancel for any reason" and "trip interruption." If you purchase Princess cruise line insurance, you'd be covered. Depending on which level you purchase, you'd get either a 75% or 100% refund or as a credit towards a future cruise, depending on the reason for canceling. If your friend got sick and you decided not to cruise, you'd get a refund as that's a covered reason. If someone from your friend's family got sick and she wanted to stay home so you canceled, you'd get a credit.

Thank you!!!

Pam - what about coverage for flights? We always buy Princess insurance, and we are well covered for medical reasons through our employer. The one part of our trip that we don't insure is our flight. My thought has always been if we have to cancel a trip, most airlines will give you a credit (less administrative fees) to use within the calendar year. So far the gamble has paid off. But I am just wondering how people insure their flight portion if they use Princess insurance for the cruise component of the trip? And what coverage am I missing out on by not insuring the flight (apart from the obvious in terms of cancelling the trip)?

Pam - what about coverage for flights? We always buy Princess insurance' date=' and we are well covered for medical reasons through our employer. The one part of our trip that we don't insure is our flight. My thought has always been if we have to cancel a trip, most airlines will give you a credit (less administrative fees) to use within the calendar year. So far the gamble has paid off. But I am just wondering how people insure their flight portion if they use Princess insurance for the cruise component of the trip? And what coverage am I missing out on by not insuring the flight (apart from the obvious in terms of cancelling the trip)?[/size']

I don't buy insurance through the cruise line, so I can't answer to that. When I purchase insurance independently, I will add any non-refundable air to the amount of coverage I purchase. It all depends on the airfare rules.

Excellent advice.

In the end, the key is to find the answer in writing as you suggest.

Keith

• 1 month later...

Pam, do you purchase Princess insurance or another company? I remember all the issues that came with your BIL's illness and passing, I think it was Princess insurance you had, did that all work out okay? I'm debating whether to just take Princess insurance or go through CSA or Travelguard. Thanks.

If someone from your friend's family got sick and she wanted to stay home so you canceled, you'd get a credit.

Actually, the Princess coverage treats your traveling companion's Family Member as being exactly the same as being YOUR family member. So if a traveling companion's family member gets sick and your traveling companion has to cancel you can cancel also and it will be treated as a covered reason with a cash refund rather than an uncovered reason with a credit toward a future trip.

Pam, do you purchase Princess insurance or another company? I remember all the issues that came with your BIL's illness and passing, I think it was Princess insurance you had, did that all work out okay? I'm debating whether to just take Princess insurance or go through CSA or Travelguard. Thanks.

If you're checking plans for this coverage you have to check two things. For example, this is from CSA:

"Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption Benefits

Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation

We will pay a Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation Benefit, up to

the amount in the Schedule, if you are prevented from taking

your Covered Trip due to your, a Family Member’s or Traveling

Companion’s Sickness, Injury, or death, that occurs before

departure on your Covered Trip."

So here it looks like you're not covered if it's the traveling companion's family member, only if it's your family member. It's not until you check the plan's definition of "Family Member" that you find this:

"FAMILY MEMBER includes your or your Traveling

Companion’s dependent, spouse, child, spouse’s child,

son/daughter-in-law, parent(s), sibling(s), brother/sister,

grandparent(s), grandchild, step-brother/sister, step-parent(s),

parent(s)-in-law, brother/sister-in-law, aunt, uncle, niece,

nephew, guardian, Domestic Partner, foster child, or ward."

All three of the plans you're considering (CSA, Travel Guard, and Princess) will cover you in the situation you describe, assuming the cancellation is not excluded for some other reason.

Archived