Still confused about a/c and balcony

As much as I have read on this board about the Oasis balcony----does this mean that everytime I go on the balcony and close the door that the A/C goes off. While I can sit on the balcony for an hour, my 87 year old mother lies to relax and watch TV. Does this mean she is going to be hot? Also, in port when I go off, she sits on the balcony. If the A/C goes off, any idea how to fix it?

As much as I have read on this board about the Oasis balcony----does this mean that everytime I go on the balcony and close the door that the A/C goes off. While I can sit on the balcony for an hour, my 87 year old mother lies to relax and watch TV. Does this mean she is going to be hot? Also, in port when I go off, she sits on the balcony. If the A/C goes off, any idea how to fix it?

I have never been on Oasis but I would think that as long as you close the door behind you the A/C will remain on. Unless the A/C cutoff is activated by the door lock which would not make sense to me.

Actually I believe that on the Oasis/Allure the A/C shuts off unless the balcony door is closed and completely LOCKED.

Not the case in our cabin or our our son's next to us on Oasis. The door only needs to be closed firmly, not locked.

Actually I believe that on the Oasis/Allure the A/C shuts off unless the balcony door is closed and completely LOCKED.

This is correct!

The door must be in the fully latched position or:

- The A/C shuts off

and

- The Heat comes on to educe condensation

We had problems with this on the Allure and I raised the issue all of the way up to the Director of Maintenance (Title probably wrong). In our case, even with the door closed and latched, the sensor was malfunction and the A/C shut off and the heat came on.

The Oasis & Allure were designed this way.

If you want to spend the day reading or relaxing on your balcony, your room will be hot when you go back inside!

This is correct!

- The A/C shuts off

and

We had problems with this on the Allure and I raised the issue all of the way up to the Director of Maintenance (Title probably wrong). In our case, even with the door closed and latched, the sensor was malfunction and the A/C shut off and the heat came on.

If you want to spend the day reading or relaxing on your balcony, your room will be hot when you go back inside!

That is just plain dumb. It should be sufficient that the door is fully closed (but not locked) for the AC to continue to function properly. Anything else is just poor engineering.

Been around and around on this issue...it seems that the locked issue may only be on the Allure. The room gets hot really fast unless the balcony door is locked. I too wrote a letter to Royal, they called me about some of the issues I noted in the letter. This was a biggie, very uncomfortable.

I haven't been on the Oasis and everyone seems to agree that closing the door is sufficient there, but I know the Allure is not the case.

I just returned from a Liberty sailing and it now requires that the door is closed, I don't remember that being the issue in the past (you can even see where they added a sensor strip to the edge of the door) Something else I noted on the Liberty is about 2AM the A/C automatically drops off to barely cool...very uncomfortable sleeping. This was a topic of discussion at our dinner table.

Been around and around on this issue...it seems that the locked issue may only be on the Allure. The room gets hot really fast unless the balcony door is locked. I too wrote a letter to Royal, they called me about some of the issues I noted in the letter. This was a biggie, very uncomfortable.

I haven't been on the Oasis and everyone seems to agree that closing the door is sufficient there, but I know the Allure is not the case.

I just returned from a Liberty sailing and it now requires that the door is closed, I don't remember that being the issue in the past (you can even see where they added a sensor strip to the edge of the door) Something else I noted on the Liberty is about 2AM the A/C automatically drops off to barely cool...very uncomfortable sleeping. This was a topic of discussion at our dinner table.

Hi Monn,

Other than the A/C issue, how did you like doing the Med on the Liberty?

This is correct!

- The A/C shuts off

and

As the people who have sailed on Oasis have said here...Oasis is not the same as Allure when it comes to this issue. The door did not have to be locked in any of our 3 cabins...just closed.

You are correct in that the A/C drops off around 2am to conserve energy - this point IS true on Oasis as well. We absolutely noticed the exact same thing in all 3 of our cabins. We weren't uncomfortable but it was noticeable to those that tried to turn the temp down.

I can understand them wanting to save energy by not having the A/C running while the balcony door is open, but to need to have it locked too is a bit much.

Oh well, not a big enough deal to keep me from going!

This is how it was for us on Allure (cabin 10584). The door had to be LOCKED, not merely closed. Otherwise, the air conditioning would not work. We had numerous maintenance visits regarding the temperature in our cabin, and this was explained and demonstrated to us.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhhh…the infamous a/c balcony door question. Boy, do I have a story to tell.

Just off the Allure yesterday and here's what I found out about our balcony, 9598 (center hump starboard).

We had our daughter (14) lock the door behind us when we were out on the balcony for fear of the a/c being turned off if it wasn't…..well, this ended up biting us. We were sailing from port in Nassau and the ship turned to a beautiful view of the Atlantis Resort…..I jumped up going to run and get the camera…..well….door locked and DD was asleep in the couch. I could see her snooozing away….so I banged and banged on the door….NOTHING. for 20 minutes I banged…still she didn't budge…she was out cold.

So DH and I set back down and just enjoyed the view for another 30 mins. FINALLY I started yelling to others above us on their balcony and they called a stateroom attendant who about 30 mins later showed up hysterically laughing and opened the balcony door for us.

So from that point on I just closed the balcony whenever anyone went out onto it and didn't lock it. I DID notice when the air cut on and off…I could hear it. It did cut off when opened but when the door was closed back (not locked, just closed without a gap) it would come back on.

When it's locked the door pulls back toward the door jam and is sealed, TIGHT! Noise proof tight!

Hi Monn,

Other than the A/C issue, how did you like doing the Med on the Liberty?

Hey John,

I count it among one of my favorite cruises to date. I'll email you...the A/C on liberty wasn't as bad as what I experienced on Allure

Archived