Riviera US electrical outlets

dorie10295

We will be on the Riviera in June and are traveling with someone that has the need to use oxygen at night. Can someone that has been on the ship please advise us to where in the cabin the US electric outlets are. We just need to know their location to judge if she will need to bring an extention cord and if so what size will be needed. Thank you.

We will be on the Riviera in June and are traveling with someone that has the need to use oxygen at night. Can someone that has been on the ship please advise us to where in the cabin the US electric outlets are. We just need to know their location to judge if she will need to bring an extention cord and if so what size will be needed. Thank you.

What type cabin??

Jancruz1

We haven't been on the new Riviera but we have been on the Marina and the R ships. My husband travels with a CPAP machine that he uses at night for his sleep apnea which is what I think you are referring to.

O's ships used to have plugs by the bedside tables but then when they put in the wall lamps and new headboards, they covered up the plugs. When that happened, the electricians were wonderful and provided whatever length of extension cord was required (it depended on which side of the bed you slept on). This happened on several of our O cruises with never a hesitation on their parts. Your friends don't need to worry about bringing an extension cord with them.

Then two months ago, we were on board the Regatta, and lo and behold, the plugs magically re-appeared by the bedside tables again. I am sure we were not the only ones who commented that those bedside plugs were needed on our end of cruise evaluation -- many people like to plug in their electronics and lie on the bed to work/read/etc. But, my husband and I both seem to remember that the plugs are European, not U.S. so we needed to put a European adaptor plug on it in order to plug it in.

My husband's CPAP is dual voltage (actually made in Australia) but if your friends is not, they will need an electricity converter or just get the extension cord on board. If it is dual voltage, they still need to bring an adaptor plug -- a lot smaller/lighter/easier to carry than either the converter or extension cord.

Also, if their machine needs Distilled Water like my husband's, have your TA inform Oceania's Special Services department. They put a note in his computer profile/record and they will have the bottle(s) of Distilled Water waiting in your cabin (or shortly after you arrive) and you never have to ask for it again.

I hope this helps in answering your question but let me know if you need more help. We have traveled all over the world with his CPAP and the only problem we have ever had was in Kenya because they turned the electricity off at night!!! He still survived ok :).

Hope you and your friends enjoy your cruise. Don't worry about the cord!

Billie

Thank you so much for all your help. It's for my daughter, and she sleeps with oxygen a result of damage from a Chemo course.

We have purchased a portable oxygen generator because O was of no help in renting one in Lisbon, unlike the hotel that we are staying at that has gone out of their way to rent one for us as most hotels will do. Our problem is the location of the outlets.

The generator is a little noisy and my daughter would like to plug it in as far away from the bed as possible, like the bathroom. She will bring about 30 feet of tubing but we would really like to get a idea where the outlets are.

We have found O to be less than responsive to our needs and are disappointed in their responses. Our travel agent is at her wits end.

If anyone that has been on the Riviera can help us I would been so thankful. This is a trip for her 40th birthday and a celebration of being in remission.

We have purchased a portable oxygen generator because O was of no help in renting one in Lisbon,

Do cruise lines generally rent medical equipment for their passengers?

If you need a wheelchair you must bring your own

Lyn

I understand that the luxury lines will rent medical equipment if needed.

What we asked for is not unusual, being that it is out of the U.S. we needed some help as to where to rent from etc. We have done this in the past with hotels in the U.S. with no problem at all, and with lots of help from the hotels that found this to be not a problem for them at all.

The port agent should be able to take care of this quite easily but we could get no help from O at all. Not even info from the port agent where we could go for help in securing the rental.

We solved the problem by buying our own at great expense so we could continue planning this trip. Now we just need the locations in the room of the outlets so we are prepared when we board.

I am very dissapointed that O would not help us in any way.

If anyone from O is out there reading this, we would appreciate a little info.

I understand that the luxury lines will rent medical equipment if needed.

What we asked for is not unusual, being that it is out of the U.S. we needed some help as to where to rent from etc. We have done this in the past with hotels in the U.S. with no problem at all, and with lots of help from the hotels that found this to be not a problem for them at all.

Interesting

I would have never thought that cruise lines or hotels abroad would do that.

Thanks for the info

The Four Seasons in Lisbon has gone out of their way to make sure that the oxygen compressor/ generator and anything else we might need is available. Nothing has been to much for them to do.

The de Russie Hotel in Rome has also been wonderful and will have everything we need in the room upon arrival.

We have found that if you plan ahead the hotels are more than happy to accomodate our needs. This is true in the US also.

The generator is a little noisy and my daughter would like to plug it in as far away from the bed as possible, like the bathroom. She will bring about 30 feet of tubing but we would really like to get a idea where the outlets are.

We have found O to be less than responsive to our needs and are disappointed in their responses. Our travel agent is at her wits end.

If anyone that has been on the Riviera can help us I would been so thankful. This is a trip for her 40th birthday and a celebration of being in remission.

From our experience, no bathrooms on cruise ships have regular ourlets in the bathrooms, just ones that will support using an electric razor so plugging in the machine in the bathroom will probably not be an option.

I hope everything goes well and you have a wonderful vacation and cruise. Sounds like you have a lot to celebrate. Best wishes.

From what I've read, one of the changes on Riviera was to include a bedside outlet. One of the places I read that was here: http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Aboard-Oceania-Riviera-acclimating-to-upper-premium/

I read the same thing elsewhere, and I seem to recall one article saying that the outlet was placed bedside with the idea that passengers who use a CPAP machine would have an easy plug-in.

I hope this helps. You may also want to google "Oceania Riviera bedside outlet" and see what you come up with. Safe travels to you and your family.

Do cruise lines generally rent medical equipment for their passengers?

If you need a wheelchair you must bring your own

Lyn

They dont rent them but they usually tell you where to call to rent the equipment

Jancruz1

From Oceania:

Please note that all stateroom onboard the Riviera have a 110v plug next to the bed, we can accommodate the oxygen at night. We can also provide an extension cord if need it..

Jancruz1

Jancruz, Thank you.......where did this statement come from. Our TA has been in touch with O on a daily basis and has not been able to get anything in the way of info from them. Thank you again,

Doris

JUst off Riviera -- I can verify that there is q standard, American, 110V putlet on either side of the bed on riviera. In addition, there are more outlets on the Desk/dressing table, and the outlets for the TV have been lowered slightly to make the other side of the dueal outlet available. I still needed a power strip because of several camera, laptop and iPad chargers, but we kept our eReaders (Nooks) plugged in on either side of the bed. I unplug the nightlight in the bathroom to keep my beard trimmer plugged in, put it is not a 3-prong grounding outlet.

Jancruz, Thank you.......where did this statement come from. Our TA has been in touch with O on a daily basis and has not been able to get anything in the way of info from them. Thank you again,

Doris

Jancruz is able to tap many resources within Oceania and always gets reliable, fast answers to her questions. I can't go any further into that without violating Crusie Critic rules.

I would like to thank everyone that has helped to give us the information that we needed to make sure that this trip is sucessful health wise for my daughter.

This trip is a dream come true for all of us, and we are so grateful for all of your knowledge and good wishes.

Archived