SPB tours, Best Guides, Alla etc… any difference

it's not as intense as Tour with Local where they give you all the vodka for 4 hours evening option.

Hi Eeyoredagreat! What do you mean by tours with Locals? I’ve never heard about it. Does it include a visit to a Russian Family? Thanks.

Jess :)

I'm seeing two different SPB tours when I search the internet. SPB-tours dot com and SPBtours dot com. Does anyone know the difference? On the surface SPB-tours appears to be highly rated by Trip Advisor but I'm not able to locate any details on SPBtours. Appreciate your input.

You want the SPB tours owned by Viktoria (Vika). Her hubby is German and runs the Berlin tours. She also has a FB page

You want the SPB tours owned by Viktoria (Vika). Her hubby is German and runs the Berlin tours. She also has a FB page

Thanks so much - that's the confirmation/verification I was looking to get!

Hi Eeyoredagreat! What do you mean by tours with Locals? I’ve never heard about it. Does it include a visit to a Russian Family? Thanks.

I came across Tours by Locals on the roll call for my cruise. It appears that they work the same as Uber does for taxis, or Air BnB does for accommodation.

Personally I wouldn't be comfortable using them for a shore excursion on a sailing day, as you're going to be shown around by a local person, not necessarily an experienced tour guide. That means you can't be as confident they're going to manage your time properly and get you back to the ship on time! I'm also not sure whether they offer a guarantee like the bigger companies (i.e. that they'll pay to get you to the next port if you miss the sailing time).

However it does sound like a good option for the first day, when there's no worries about getting back to the ship for a specific time.

Gkkapp,

I’m so thrilled to know that you’ve used Alla and SPB, and now you are planning to use Best Guides. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I suppose you are going to become a very special poster here – one who has firsthand experience of touring with three of the better known tour operators. It’s good luck for all Baltic forum community.

Thank you for your kind words. I do try to post something if I think it would help. In this case I just wanted to say that we had not had a problem with Best Guides. Natalie has worked everything out with the Naval Museum and we can just go in and look around without having a "private tour". On our previous tours with Alla and SPB we had no problems and were very happy with everything. These were the "standard" tours. For a custom tour they just weren't will to "step up". Their loss. But I certainly would recommend them for the standard tour. Almost everyone on our roll call is using Alla.

<<<Karen>>>

I have used the services of Alla Tours on several occasions - I have booked both their standard tours and private tours. All my experiences with Alla have been excellent. My first visit was via cruise ship and I simply booked the standard Grand Tour - a marvelous introduction to the fascinating city and history of St. Petersburg. On subsequent visits to St. Petersburg, I have booked private tours with Alla (Novgorod, Vitoslavlitsy open air museum and other sites difficult to reach on my own). In fact, regarding Novgorod, I wanted to take the boat trip on the Volkhov river from the Kremlin pier - Alla arranged this rather esoteric request without a hitch. Most sites within the city of St. Petersburg & Moscow I now visit on my own with a Russian visa.

Communication with Alla has always been top notch, guides have been unfailingly stellar and I have enjoyed each tour immensely.

Edited by dogs4fun

dogs4fun-

I didn't mean to "bad mouth" Alla or SPB. Actually, you gave me some advice about going to Novgorod. Said you had used Alla. I contacted 6, I think, tour operators including Alla and SPB. Several came back with really high quotes ($1,000+ for two :eek:). Alla and SPB responded and said they would get back to me when they figured everything up. Alla needed to do some "checking". Neither company has gotten back to me yet. I guess I could have emailed them again but....Best Guides was quick to reply and offered a good price, $405pp for both days. They already do a Novgorod tour which we "twinked" a bit. Since everything was to our liking and they have an excellent reputation we went with them. If we were doing the "standard" St Pete tour I would go with either Alla or SPB, hopefully arranged by someone else on our roll call so I won't have to do any "leg work" ;).

<<<Karen>>>

dogs4fun-

I didn't mean to "bad mouth" Alla or SPB. Actually, you gave me some advice about going to Novgorod. Said you had used Alla. I contacted 6, I think, tour operators including Alla and SPB. Several came back with really high quotes ($1,000+ for two :eek:). Alla and SPB responded and said they would get back to me when they figured everything up. Alla needed to do some "checking". Neither company has gotten back to me yet. I guess I could have emailed them again but....Best Guides was quick to reply and offered a good price, $405pp for both days. They already do a Novgorod tour which we "twinked" a bit. Since everything was to our liking and they have an excellent reputation we went with them. If we were doing the "standard" St Pete tour I would go with either Alla or SPB, hopefully arranged by someone else on our roll call so I won't have to do any "leg work" ;).

<<<Karen>>>

Hi Karen,

No worries ☺ - I didn't think you were "bad mouthing" anyone - I was just sharing my own personal experience. I'm happy that you were able to visit Novgorod & that you enjoyed your tour with BG - I have not toured with them but understand that they get good reviews. If I remember correctly, you wanted to visit Vitoslavlitsy - did you? What did you think?

Edited by dogs4fun

Overall, they are all basically the same as to showing you all the sights in St Petersburg. They all will have a set plan or you can draw up your own, to your liking. They all will accommodate you. price wise, I also think they are all in the same ballpark.

But they all do have their little 'quirks' that separate one from the other. Like some include lunches and some include the canal boat ride.

Customer service is also a big factor. Big outfits, like Denrus and Red October, do not have that intimacy between host and tourist that you will find with some of the other tour groups.

We toured almost 3 years ago with SPB Tours. We used them because, at that time, they did not charge extra for the canal boat tour which we really wanted to do, they also included 2 lunches, one which was a sit down at a real Russian restaurant, which we also wanted to do. But the main reason why we went with SPB was because of the tremendous customer service we received from Viktoria, the owner. She was calm when we needed calming. She suggested things to us, and she never failed to respond to every email we sent her, by the very next day.

Now that they have expanded their tours to other ports, it makes it more accommodating and you can save some money at the same time.

Cheers

Len

I totally agree with you. I check all websites fro Alla to Tj Travel, Best Guides, White nights and can't remember the other ones. Why did I choose SPB? Customer Service!

Hi Jess sorry for the late response

SPB is offering this evening option of Tour like Local - see below their description

Go Out Like a Local information $60.00

The Go Out Like a Local tour begins with a vehicle pickup at around 7:00pm at the port, where you will meet your evening tour guide. During this tour you'll get to drink three unique varieties of Russian Vodka, do some shopping, see the city of St. Petersburg in the beautiful evening twilight, and enjoy a canal boat ride on a private boat. Non-alcoholic beverages are also available as well as some light snacks.

We opted to do the Vodka museum instead. Visit Museum have vodka tasting after. Reserved at the restaurant attached at the museum, have Russian dinner (we are paying for the dinner) then go city driving after. $45.00. We thought after a long day trekking most of St. Petersburg, having a Russian dinner will energize us!

I came across Tours by Locals on the roll call for my cruise. It appears that they work the same as Uber does for taxis, or Air BnB does for accommodation.

Personally I wouldn't be comfortable using them for a shore excursion on a sailing day, as you're going to be shown around by a local person, not necessarily an experienced tour guide. That means you can't be as confident they're going to manage your time properly and get you back to the ship on time! I'm also not sure whether they offer a guarantee like the bigger companies (i.e. that they'll pay to get you to the next port if you miss the sailing time).

However it does sound like a good option for the first day, when there's no worries about getting back to the ship for a specific time.

Tours by Locals is a tour company. The one I was talking about was Tour like a local - an evening option offered by SPB. I booked my Tallinn shore excursion thru tTours by Local because they came out cheaper than SPB. Their 6 hour tour was $455 per group. I have a big group, so it came out like $45.00/person. I did not choose them for ST. Petersburg because they wanted us to pay now, while others you pay at St. Petersburg. I checked them and they have good reviews at Trip Advisor and Better Business Bureau. Yes - I checked all the tour companies and read their reviews before any decision.

dogs4fun-

Haven't gone yet. We will be in St Pete on June 11-12. By "went with them" I meant that we booked our tour with them :o. Fingers crossed that all will go well. And, yes, we are going to Vitoslavlitsy. Really looking forward to it. Did you watch "War and Peace"? The scenes when one of the families is spending the holidays with their country cousins were filmed at Vitoslavlitsy. Here's a link to their Novgorod tour: http://www.bestguides-spb.com/tour-novgorod.html We are visiting the Novgorod State Museum for the icons instead of the Folk Museum.

<<<Karen>>>

• 3 weeks later...
Exciting and scary :eek:. We hope that all goes as planned and I will post about our experiences when we get back.

<<<Karen>>>

You will have a great time - all these tour companies' reputations depend upon providing reliable, quality tours - enjoy and don't needlessly worry. Look forward to your review when you return.

Edited by dogs4fun

Thanks dogs4fun-

It's so easy to plan the cruise but when the time comes.....there are so many "what if's". When we've done this before everything always works out, one way or the other. Not sure what I said about our plans: We leave 31 May and go directly to Southampton. DH wants to go to Portsmouth to see the HMS Victory so we will do that one day and maybe go to Winchester the other day. Ship leaves on 4 June. In the morning on 4 June my late cousin's wife is coming from Dorset to see us. Looking forward to that. Then it's off to the ship. Will post a review when we get back after 19 June.

<<<Karen>>>

• 7 months later...

Thanks-

Yes, I've watched "War and Peace" twice now before and after the cruise. Actually, I've visited many of the sites seen in the film but I didn't know it ;). Here's a link to site that talks about the filming: http://www.radiotimes.com/offers/travel/news/2016-01-10/where-to-find-the-dazzling-palaces-in-war-and-peace At the very beginning of the film when Pierre is traveling to Moscow and stops in a village, that "village" is the "Wooden Building" museum out side of Novogrod. It's used again for the Christmas visit to the country cousins by Natasha and her family. At the end of the film there are several scenes filmed in Novogrod but unless you've been there you won't know. Been to Catherine Palace and the Yusupov Palace so recognized those in the film.

Are you planning a trip to Russia? Don't know of any War and Peace tours but a good tour company like Best Guides could work something out for you.

<<<Karen>>>

I was a big fan of this BBC production - especially loved Lily James as Natasha (also loved her in Downton Abbey) & thought the costumes and sets were spectacular.

Karen already covered Novogrod. Like Karen, I’m not aware of a company that specifically provides War and Peace tours (although I am sure that any of the more prominently recognized tour companies could put-together a private tour for you). It would be virtually impossible to visit all the filming sites on a short cruise visit to St. Petersburg – you would really need about 4-5 days.

Most visitors to St. Pete will visit (or, at very least, drive by) most of the filming locations in the city/suburbs if they book one of the comprehensive group tours (most affordable option) from any the major tour providers. For fans of the BBC series, the scenes that I recognized and visited (and what occurred where each scene was shot) are:

Malo-Konushenny Bridge – Opening scenes - Pierre Bezukhov heading to the salon of Anna Pavlovna Scherer. This scene was shot at the Moika river embankment with Malo-Konyushenny bridge and Adamini house on the opposite side of the river.

Exterior of the Winter Palace (Hermitage) - sleigh scene across Palace Square

Hermitage Bridge - Andrei & Pierre walk along Zimnyaya Kanavka discussing their futures.

Catherine Palace, Gold Ballroom - Tsar's Ball (Andrei and Natasha dance)

Grotto pavilion - Pierre Bezukhov & Helene Kuragina skating scene at Bolshoy pond in front of the pavillion (Grotto) in Catherine park at Tsarskoye selo.

Alexander Park - Natasha meets Andrei (must visit independently or via private tour - it is gorgeous)

Gatchina, Imperial Palace - Pierre & Andrei's homes (must visit independently or via private tour)

Yusupov Palace - Anatole Kuragin was introduced to Natasha.

Mikhailovsky Castle (Russian Museum) - Boris Drubetskoy visits married Helene Kuragina. (must visit independently or via private tour)

Saint Michael's (Engineer's) Castle – backdrop for secret freemason’s lodge gatherings

Church of the Assumption - Pierre and Helene Kuragina married; funeral service for count Ilya Rostov. (must visit independently or via private tour)

Derzhavin museum – Rostovs home in St. Petersburg - Natasha’s night before her first ball and where she waits for Andrei to return. This museum is interesting because it is the only eighteenth century estate that remains within the borders of St. Petersburg. It now houses the memorial estate of the Russian writer Gavrila Derzhavin. (visit independently or via private tour)

Although the novel takes place in St. Petersburg and Moscow, most filming was actually shot in Latvia and Lithuania. Most of the Moscow street scenes were shot in Vilnius, Lithuania, and most of the war scenes were also shot in Lithuanian countryside.

Rundale Palace (Bauska, Latvia) – located outside of Riga, Latvia (can visit Palace & gardens on day trip from Riga). The first episode opens at the St. Petersburg salon of Anna Pavlovna – they were actually shot in the Golden Room of Rundale Palace. The palace’s interiors and façades also appear in several scenes as the family home of the Rostovs. Interestingly, Bartolomeo Rastrelli, the same architect who designed the Winter Palace, Catherine Palace & Peterhof Grand Palace, also designed Rundale. Guess that is why it worked so well as a St. Petersburg palace.

Edited by dogs4fun

Well, dogs, you did it again :D. I think we have seen or driven by many to the St Pete places but I didn't recognize them in the film. I have put on hold the DVD at our library and can't wait to watch it again. This time I will have a copy of your email handy and look for the scenes you mention.

<<<Karen>>>

Well, dogs, you did it again :D. I think we have seen or driven by many to the St Pete places but I didn't recognize them in the film. I have put on hold the DVD at our library and can't wait to watch it again. This time I will have a copy of your email handy and look for the scenes you mention.

<<<Karen>>>

Ha! As you can see, I am a tad OCD re: Russia - love it (and Italy over which, in addition to Russia, I need to join a 12 step program). I am beginning to be a bit of a bore as I keep returning to these 2 countries. Did manage to fit-in Israel this year though.

There is one other movie scene of which I was unsure but after checking it out on Google maps, I am now certain. Don't know whether or not you would have seen it during your visit to the city but it is:

Krasnogvardeysky Bridge – over the Griboyedova canal & connects Kazansky and Spassky islands (right after the Hermitage Bridge scene with Andrei, Pierre heads to Anatole Kuragin's for his wild night of drunken debauchery) – although it is dark in the scene, I recognize the lamp posts on the bridge and I can make-out the domes of Nikolsky Naval cathedral over the rooftops.

Anyway, enjoy watching War & Peace again. I know you will recognize most of the scenes (with the exception of Gatchina which requires a day trip from St. Pete). You may even decide to make another trip to Russia. Who knows? :D

Edited by dogs4fun

I, too, have a fascination with all things Russian. I have been collecting lacquer boxes, icons, paintings etc. for the past 4 years. Also reading all I can about Russia. There was an older man who had gone to Russia and bought a ton of student art work most VERY good. He had a booth in an antique mall but he wanted way too much for the paintings. He died last and the painting were put up for auction locally. I bought two, my favorites, and some watercolors. Found another two of his in another antique store cheap. Now my house looks like a Russian art gallery :D.

In my ancestry I have a Jewish line that can from Latvia and /or Belarus. There must be some Russian in there for good measure hence my love of Russian things.....except for Putin :eek:.

<<<Karen>>>

Has anyone attempted a day trip to Moscow?

Saw that Guide Guru Tours have a 2 day Moscow and St. Petersburg package and wondering if anyone has done that?

Do you mean 2 days in St. Petersburg and one day in Moscow (you will be on a cruise ship, I assume)? If so, many on this forum have done this (although usually not with Guide Guru although I suspect that they are a perfectly reputable company - just haven't heard much about them on these boards) - it must be done on the middle day of a 3 day port visit in St. Petersburg. Just be aware that the Moscow trip makes for a very long day because you are usually not back onboard your ship until very late (11:30pm to midnight). Hopefully some that have visited Moscow this way will chime-in with their comments.

Personally, I have used Alla Tours (http://alla-tour.com/tours/) - they are fantastic and they offer this same package - 2 days in St. Petersburg and 1 day Moscow (it's called the Two Capitals Tour).

Edited by dogs4fun

I, too, have a fascination with all things Russian. I have been collecting lacquer boxes, icons, paintings etc. for the past 4 years. Also reading all I can about Russia. There was an older man who had gone to Russia and bought a ton of student art work most VERY good. He had a booth in an antique mall but he wanted way too much for the paintings. He died last and the painting were put up for auction locally. I bought two, my favorites, and some watercolors. Found another two of his in another antique store cheap. Now my house looks like a Russian art gallery :D.

In my ancestry I have a Jewish line that can from Latvia and /or Belarus. There must be some Russian in there for good measure hence my love of Russian things.....except for Putin :eek:.

<<<Karen>>>

Seems we have a lot in common & I note that you are getting ready for the Med. :) If you get a chance, shoot me an email (its included in my signature).

Has anyone attempted a day trip to Moscow?

Saw that Guide Guru Tours have a 2 day Moscow and St. Petersburg package and wondering if anyone has done that?

We have seen a few tours that did it in a day, but they were very expensive and involved round trip air (between St Petersburg and Moscow). Keep in mind that its over 400 miles between these cities....which means that a day trip, although possible, is not very practical.

Hank