Junkanoo Beach Nassau?

39august

We were in Nassau last week and went there. It was really a great place and you can walk from the pier! Walk toward Senor Frogs but follow the road-it will twist around the Hilton (across from McDonalds). Keep walking and it will come up on your right. It is maybe 15/20 minutes from the ship. We sat at the Tiki Bar right on the beach and ordered 9 beers for $20. They have every drink you can imagine + some awesome shots too! Bathrooms were right beside the Tiki Bar adjacent to the beach and were very clean and free...beach was free too as far as we could tell...we had drinkers, not swimmers! Bryon, the owner, was SO nice and told us all sorts of stories about the area. He had just been on Kathy Lee/Hoda's program in February-or I should say they came and did a show from the Tiki Bar. I would go again in a heartbeat...fun-not-crowded-cheap (I thought).

Let me add...there was not much natural shade, but our gang sat under umbrellas at the Tiki Bar. We sat on a slip covered couch and living room style furniture-not the greatest beach loungers but great for the bar. I did not notice any loungers on the beach. It looked to be more of a throw out a towel kind of place, but great fun!

Let me add...there was not much natural shade, but our gang sat under umbrellas at the Tiki Bar. We sat on a slip covered couch and living room style furniture-not the greatest beach loungers but great for the bar. I did not notice any loungers on the beach. It looked to be more of a throw out a towel kind of place, but great fun!

It is a "throw out towel" kinda beach. No natural shade but a nice place to spend a few hours close to the pier. Just a short walk. We're going back in November when we're in on the MOS.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really liked Junkanoo Beach. it is a CITY BEACH. so it's not necessarily the most beautiful or remote, but the water's shallow and you can jump off a pier into the water and hangout with locals. :) There's a gal there who makes frozen drinks with rum in them right on the beach and you can rent chairs as well. Did I spend the whole day there? NO WAY I took a water taxi to Paradise Island and went to Cabbage Beach which is picture postcard gorgeous.

I've attached pics of Junkanoo Beach to this comment.

Images 1469 and 1472 are at Junkanoo.

Images 1485 and 1488 are at Cabbage Beach.

Happy Planning and smooth sailing!

IMG_1469.jpg.43ac425e35bf5d27147b97006b0e4a20.jpg

IMG_1472.jpg.a1029833de66a1373454b070b0d9234c.jpg

IMG_1485.jpg.f08ae2c1315f77f0473b23b36fb508ad.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg.dd71423d905809747de6506d7818d504.jpg

Do you rent chairs on Junkanoo Beach?? Are there umbrellas available?? We are going to go to Junkanoo Beach during our stop to Nassau in December

We walked to Junkanoo Beach from the port, last Sunday and LOVED it! Yes, you can rent both chairs and umbrellas. We just threw our towels down under a palm tree and opted to spend our money on drinks. Buckets of beer (4 beers) for $10 at one of the tiki huts and I did see another hut with a woman making yummy looking frozen rum concoctions. We enjoyed talking with the locals and there were several tourists there, both from ships and hotels close by. Public restroom was clean. It's a little rocky walking in areas but you quickly get past that and the water was clean and gorgeous. I'm sure there's prettier beaches but it served our purposes and it was cool seeing our ship from the beach. Stopped at Straw Market & Senor Frogs on the way back to port. It was a great day!:)

We walked to Junkanoo Beach from the port, last Sunday and LOVED it! Yes, you can rent both chairs and umbrellas. We just threw our towels down under a palm tree and opted to spend our money on drinks. Buckets of beer (4 beers) for $10 at one of the tiki huts and I did see another hut with a woman making yummy looking frozen rum concoctions. We enjoyed talking with the locals and there were several tourists there, both from ships and hotels close by. Public restroom was clean. It's a little rocky walking in areas but you quickly get past that and the water was clean and gorgeous. I'm sure there's prettier beaches but it served our purposes and it was cool seeing our ship from the beach. Stopped at Straw Market & Senor Frogs on the way back to port. It was a great day!:)

Thank You so much. It sounds like that is what we are going to do in Nassau

Great. I have been looking for a good map showing Junkanoo and shopping areas? What good food can be found at Junkanoo or shopping on Bay Street? What can kids do at Junkanoo? Rent kayaks or paddle boats? Snorkel around rocks and concrete pier any good? Jump off concrete pier? I like the sound of nine beers for $20. Alot of venders or just a couple? I know... lots of questions, sorry. Information is so scattered and mixed.

Great. I have been looking for a good map showing Junkanoo and shopping areas? What good food can be found at Junkanoo or shopping on Bay Street? What can kids do at Junkanoo? Rent kayaks or paddle boats? Snorkel around rocks and concrete pier any good? Jump off concrete pier? I like the sound of nine beers for $20. Alot of venders or just a couple? I know... lots of questions, sorry. Information is so scattered and mixed.

Junkanoo is a free beach that is technically in the inner harbour.. so you won't find jet ski's and power boats.. and unless things have changed, you won't find kayaks and paddle boats.

Snorkeling is not great.. but ok for the little ones..

There are only a couple of vendors. One or two concession stands with hot dogs, conch fritters and ice cream, and a tiki bar and a restroom. No towel rental.

Chair rentals during some seasons, but last time I saw only a handful of half broken chairs for rent. As we come to the end of the season, It doesn't look like they are replacing broken chairs etc.

For Free, this beach is fine... but don't expect much. It's got white sand and calm clear water..

All vendors are independent.

A few questions...

-How far from the ship is Cabbage Beach?

The ship will dock in Nassau. Cabbage Beach is on the next island over, called Paradise Island. It's not a suggested walk! With the water taxi and the taxi to the beach, it prob took us approx. 30 min or so to get there, give or take.

-Where would I get the water taxi?

The water taxis are right near Senor Frogs(which is very close to where the ships dock). Just go to Senor Frogs and ask a local or just another American where the water taxi stand is and they'll point you in the right direction.

-How much does it cost?

I don't remember how much it cost, to be honest...It was over a year go. But I'm a VERY CHEAP traveler lol so I wouldn't have done it if it weren't cheap!! :D

Thanks in advance.

Hope this helps! Happy planning and smooth sailing

• 2 weeks later...
Great maps.. easy peasy.

Have a fun day in paradise.

Thanks!

Happy cruising to you. :D

A few questions...

-How far from the ship is Cabbage Beach?

The ship will dock in Nassau. Cabbage Beach is on the next island over, called Paradise Island. It's not a suggested walk! With the water taxi and the taxi to the beach, it prob took us approx. 30 min or so to get there, give or take.

-Where would I get the water taxi?

The water taxis are right near Senor Frogs(which is very close to where the ships dock). Just go to Senor Frogs and ask a local or just another American where the water taxi stand is and they'll point you in the right direction.

-How much does it cost?

I don't remember how much it cost, to be honest...It was over a year go. But I'm a VERY CHEAP traveler lol so I wouldn't have done it if it weren't cheap!! :D

Hope this helps! Happy planning and smooth sailing

The time you waste on a long walk to and from the beach is time that could be spent enjoying it. .;)

I rather use that time soaking up the sun, sinking my feet into warm sand than hitting the hard pavement. Well worth the extra bucks. :D

Okay so I'm heading to Nassau this weekend on the Imagination and it's an overnight stay. My friend has never been and wants to see Atlantis. Looks like a day pass whether through carnival or a local is bout $45-$55 not including the beach of course. Does that sound right?

Afterwards we thought we'd enjoy a beach. Since we are already on Paradise Island should we do Cabbage Beach and just take a taxi back? Or come back and do Junkanoo?

Thanks

The only thing about CB that I don't like is the constant vendors. Luckily, I spend a LOT of time in the water so I try to avoid them...

One of the better vendors is the "Cocktails in a Coco" guys... you get your choice of drink with 6 refills (yellow bird, rum punch, and one other one were the choices) and they give you the rum to add into it yourself - a sealed thing of Bacardi gold - $20. :D

And I never took a water taxi there, I just took a regular taxi... I think it was $4pp

I really liked Junkanoo Beach. it is a CITY BEACH. so it's not necessarily the most beautiful or remote, but the water's shallow and you can jump off a pier into the water and hangout with locals. :) There's a gal there who makes frozen drinks with rum in them right on the beach and you can rent chairs as well. Did I spend the whole day there? NO WAY I took a water taxi to Paradise Island and went to Cabbage Beach which is picture postcard gorgeous.

I've attached pics of Junkanoo Beach to this comment.

Images 1469 and 1472 are at Junkanoo.

Images 1485 and 1488 are at Cabbage Beach.

Happy Planning and smooth sailing!

Careful with the pier jumping. We were there last Wednesday, and some guy misjudged his dive and split his head open. Locals helped him out, and there was blood everywhere! They ran across the street to local police station and got an officer, who called in an ambulance. Not sure if he was from one of three cruise ships in port or not.

But not to sound totally down, the beach in general was actually quite nice. The locals didn't bother you, but there were some folks selling Cuban cigars, hair braiding, etc. If you said no, they left you alone.

Archived