Half Moon Cay?

Ravenscroft

This seems like a strange 'port' for Seabourn, but it's the final port on our Quest cruise.

Is this a new destination? If not, can anyone tell me what there is to do there as it appears to be a private island, rather like RCL's Coco Cay. From a little research it appears to offer nothing but beach and a few souvenir shops.

I'm assuming that Half Moon Cay is also used by Carnival and HAL ships too.

This is the only Half Moon Cay I am familiar with.

You can sail, snorkel, swim, and sit on the beach.

I'm thinking they might do something like the Caviar in the Surf Beach Party that day but someone else might know better.

Keith

I won't copypasta the whole wiki entry, but Half Moon Cay is HaLs (or is it HALs:confused:) private island. The island does not have a deep water port (that is it seems to require tendering). Offered activities include (copypasta follows):

Activities offered on the island include swimming, sunning, scuba diving, jet-skiing, cycling, and snorkeling. Deep-sea fishing, parasailing, glass-bottom boat rides, and nature walks also are available. A variety of water toys are available for rent, including Hobie catamarans, Sunfish sailboats, windsurfing sailboards, and kayaks. There are volleyball and basketball courts, horseshoes, shuffleboard, a fitness trail with exercise stations, horseback riding, and nature trails for hiking. (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_San_Salvador_Island).

It's a private island used by all the cruise lines owned by Carnival. When I was there, we didn't do any excursions (per my friend's request-we had two ports, she picked what to do one day, I picked the other) and it was a lovely beach bum day. Plenty of loungers, silky smooth white sand, crystal clear water. I only wish we'd skipped the on-island BBQ and gone back to the ship for lunch, but if I remember right from the capers that day, there may have been only a very limited menu on board. Everyone was really expected to eat at the BBQ. By that time it was very hot and the lines were long,but I think we hit it kinda late.

But aside from that, like I said, it's a great place to have a lovely beach bum day, despite there being a ton of excursions to choose from. But with it being a private island, all the excursions were relatively expensive, even compared to the ones we booked through Carnival for our stop in Nassau.

Thanks everyone, this looks like a staying on the ship day to me.

Baychilla, I had actually already Googled it myself, I did mention I'd done a little research, but I decided to post here because I thought some seasoned Seabourn cruisers who had been there may be able to tell me more about what SB does for guests at this destination.

Keith, thank you. I have my fingers crossed that SB will do the Caviar in the Surf Beach Party on that day, as it doesn't sound like there's anything of interest there except the beach. This is an 18 day cruise so after 16 prior days of Caribbean islands I imagine I'll have seen enough tropical beaches to last me for a year. ;)

I still hold my opinion that this is a somewhat odd port for Seabourn!:eek: Almost as if they've run out of ideas for ports for this cruise. Key West would have been nice....

I will update if I change my mind after visiting the place :D

Trust me, it's a better port than Grand Turk! If you like the Caviar in the Surf on Mayreau, I'd recommend you check out Half Moon Cay. It has a beautiful beach that goes on and on, and many of the "banquet" facilities are already set up, so a bit less stress on the crew. If there is not a second ship from HAL or Carnival, it will be a great place for a relaxing beach party day.

Trust me, it's a better port than Grand Turk! If you like the Caviar in the Surf on Mayreau, I'd recommend you check out Half Moon Cay. It has a beautiful beach that goes on and on, and many of the "banquet" facilities are already set up, so a bit less stress on the crew. If there is not a second ship from HAL or Carnival, it will be a great place for a relaxing beach party day.

You could potentially wind up sharing the port with a mega-sized Carnival ship?:eek:

You could potentially wind up sharing the port with a mega-sized Carnival ship?:eek:

That happened to us in Grand Turk in 2011 on the Silversea Christmas/New Year cruise. We docked at 8am, no other ship there. Leisurely breakfast, then down to the beach. Around 10.30am I spotted a huge ship approaching - it was one of the Carnival ships, I can't remember which one. One minute there were about 15 of us on the beach, the next there were about 5015 ! :D

That happened to us in Grand Turk in 2011 on the Silversea Christmas/New Year cruise. We docked at 8am, no other ship there. Leisurely breakfast, then down to the beach. Around 10.30am I spotted a huge ship approaching - it was one of the Carnival ships, Carnival Freedom.

One minute there were about 15 of us on the beach, the next there were about 5015 ! :D

Visual evidence attached!

IMAG0161.jpg.e12e1ae914bd932db6f27950fd5d04c3.jpg

That happened to us in Grand Turk in 2011 on the Silversea Christmas/New Year cruise. We docked at 8am, no other ship there. Leisurely breakfast, then down to the beach. Around 10.30am I spotted a huge ship approaching - it was one of the Carnival ships, I can't remember which one. One minute there were about 15 of us on the beach, the next there were about 5015 ! :D

Eeesh. I just remember being in Charlotte Amalie on the nearly empty Radisson Diamond and having the city go from ghost town to bedlam when both Carnival and RCI decided to disgorge their passengers.

HMC is Holland America's private island. It's a very beatuiful beach with a few shops (that you'll need cash).

There are no excursions. Since watersports are included in Seabourn, you'll need to sign up ahead of time. They do have horseback riding.

I can't imagine a Seabourn ship would anchor with a HAL ship or Carnival ship because the catering is different.

I looked up the port stop and the Quest will be the only ship at Half Moon Cay that day.

What I also noticed that in most other cases there is usually one ship in port but when there are two it was primarily two HAL ships.

But as I noted, only Quest is there that day.

On the positive side, it could be a much more enjoyable day than some of the typical Caribbean ports where it is wall to wall people in port.

Keith

I have been to Half Moon Cay on HAL several times.

First it is worthy to note that since it is a tender port sea conditions, swells and wind can be such that a noticeable percentage of times the ships cannot make it in, or passengers are called back for an early retreat.

It used to be that only HAL used the island, never more than one ship at a time. Though I always prefer to eat on board that day -- as the only ship in port the beach is an idyllic, quiet, isolated spit of incredible sand. Great beach day.

Last couple of times I have been there we were one of two HAL ships and things got crowded. As other posters have said, Carnival Cruise Lines also, now, uses this spot :eek:

If it is true that the Quest will be there all alone then go for it -- they will probably put on a day to remember -- if it is a share, all bets are off.

My first ever private beach on a cruise ship was on Palm Island in the Grenedines in 1979 - we were sailing on the old, Sun Princess and our port day in Trinidad was cancelled. It was the second time the ship had done this. Everything from beach lounges, umbrellas, barbecue grills and food was brought out to the island early in the morning from the ship on the old open tenders (and returned to the ship before we left). To reach the island we had to first exit the ship from a door significantly above the water and walk down one of the old rickety aluminum stairways that hung precariously above a rope net placed at water level. The day turned out to be magic as the beaches were incredible, the food flreshly grilled, and only a couple of hundred folks from the ship had the nerve to disembark.

If the Quest is alone at Half Moon Cay the experience could be similar.

All the chairs, cooking equipment and glasses for the bar are already on the isand.

You will tender and wind is very much an issue when it comes to a ship calling at HMC. Given the Quest's size, the captain may have more latitude at anchorage than the larger ships.

The beach is powder. I would avoid the Captain Morgan Bar, which is, well, kitchy.

I have been to Half Moon Cay 4 times. It is a great beach, in fact "a little slice of heaven" to those of us that are land locked in Midwest Illinois. The only body of water around here is the Big Muddy. The sand is like powdered sugar and the water is crystal blue. My DH and I love beach days, so it is just right for us. If you are not a beach lover, you could always enjoy having the ship to yourself.

Linda

I seem to recall another website that listed ships in ports on given days. This was for all ports. European, etc. Anyone know the site? Can't find it my bookmarks. Thanks

There are several sites that do this.

http://cruisett.com/ports.php

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/

http://www.cruisereport.com/crPortList.aspx?AgtId=932

Also you can pay an annual fee and utilize http://www.cruisecal.com

Always remember that the best source is doing a search on a specific cruise ship terminal and if they have an internet site some of them show a nice schedule of ships in port and include not just those ships that are oriented to North America Cruisers.

Keith

Archived