Seasick

kr9457

Noticed on a post from last week that it was pretty rough and people were seasick. Is this normal for an Alaskian cruise? I was told since it isn't open water it won't be too rough.

In 2007, last day at sea going from Hubbard Glacier to Seward, we woke up to some rough waters. We had an inside cabin and DH got up to go to the bathroom and our room was swaying. I decided to wear my patch that day. I went to the center of the Radiance of the Seas and found people had slept there to try and avoid getting sick. I sat in that area and read with a lady who said her husband and son were sick in their room and she didn't want to spend the last day of her vacation waiting on them. I think you have a better chance of rough water when you get to open sea, but the path between the ports is usually protected and smooth. In 2009, going Southbound toward Vancouver it was smooth sailing all the way. Good Luck!

Some people can get seasick on a wet blade of grass. However that aside what itinerary are you doing as that will have some bearing on sea conditions?

:rolleyes::(:o That's me. I have to take meclizine just riding thirty miles to Houston. So, it's two Bonine (instead of the normal one I take) starting at least two hours before I board and keeping it in my system for seven days.

can you buy bonine over the counter in the US?

i thought we could buy it in fairbanks before the cruise, if it's over the counter

Bonine is an "over the counter" med in the US. In Fairbanks it will be found in grocery stores not in the pharmacy area but in the general grocery area where customers find cough drops, Dramamine and so forth.

First be aware that not all the itineraries are the same.

Second, whenever you cruise there is always the chance of rough seas including Alaska.

Always be prepared for rough seas and the chance of getting seasick no matter where you cruise.

Keith

It is a myth that it is always smooth sailing in Alaska. Most always, at some point, I see sick passengers on an Alaska cruiseship. This includes, by personal experience, those- smooth as glass descriptive comments on round trip Vancouver (which actually was the worse I experienced- thrown out of bed :) ) NONE of the major cruiseships sail entirely those "protected areas", all sail open ocean at some point.

This is from first hand experience with over 25 Alaska cruiseship sailings.

Bonine is an "over the counter" med in the US. In Fairbanks it will be found in grocery stores not in the pharmacy area but in the general grocery area where customers find cough drops, Dramamine and so forth.

What is more effective...Bonine or Dramamine? I know Dramamine comes in both regular (makes you drowsy) and non-drowsy.

What is more effective...Bonine or Dramamine? I know Dramamine comes in both regular (makes you drowsy) and non-drowsy.

There are details on the web, But long acting Draminine is Bonine, compare the generic descriptions. This has a 24 hour potential. Regular Draminine is a 4 hour action. Also, there are various dosing and timing dispensing possible. Consulting a health care professional is advised. ALL drugs have potential side effects and counter indications depending on history.

Some people can get seasick on a wet blade of grass. However that aside what itinerary are you doing as that will have some bearing on sea conditions?

My husband is one of those folks who gets seasick very easily.

Poor guy!

The 'smooth sailing' myths about Alaska cruising are put out by cruise companies, travel agents and other sorts of travel promoters.

It is best to be prepared with whatever medications one's own physician recommends.

Hi

You can get Bonnie at Walmart. Make sure you can take it. It can mess with other medicals. I can't use it. I use the wrist bands. Front desk will also heve meds to take. I went last year to Alaska and Manytimes I did not think we were moving until I went outside and we were going pretty fast. I thought we were sailing on ice it was so smooth. But I met a lady and she had been sick since we left. Ask your doctor first before taking any meds for seasickness.

Mary

All natural ... no meds ... GINGER PILLS ! !

Ginger is a natural remedy.

My suggestion is 7 days before you start your cruise, begin to take 1 pill every day (at the same time every day) .. then the day before you start the cruise take 1 pill in the morning and 1 pill in the evening. And the next day do the same, then switch back to the 1 a day.

It worked for me, and have been religious about adhering to this "prescription" for years ..

Keeping the ginger in my system is a necessity for me.

Poor guy!

The 'smooth sailing' myths about Alaska cruising are put out by cruise companies, travel agents and other sorts of travel promoters.

It is best to be prepared with whatever medications one's own physician recommends.

I've not had a moment of seasickness on all our other cruises, but Alaska seems to be a different kind of cruise with rougher waters. Also, we're doing a whale watching excursion in Juneau and hopefully a Misty Fiord flight in Ketchican. All the more reason to have the best seasickness/airsickness medicines available.

All natural ... no meds ... GINGER PILLS ! !

Ginger is a natural remedy.

My suggestion is 7 days before you start your cruise, begin to take 1 pill every day (at the same time every day) .. then the day before you start the cruise take 1 pill in the morning and 1 pill in the evening. And the next day do the same, then switch back to the 1 a day.

It worked for me, and have been religious about adhering to this "prescription" for years ..

Keeping the ginger in my system is a necessity for me.

;) I use ginger but take four capsules when I first get on ship before it departs. Never had a need to take it as a pre-cruise "loading dose". U can buy a bottle @ Wally World or any health food store.

I have had at least one day of rough seas on each Gulf passage. I wear a patch the whole cruise, but I can get sea sick in a rowboat on a lake. When it gets bad I add the seabands to my wrists and that takes care of it. The patches have to be put on about 12 hours before they take effect and can have some unpleasant side effects, so I wouldn't use them unless seasickness is a problem for you. Just take along the seabands available from any drug store or a pill version of motion sickness meds like dramamine or bonine. If you do get seasick sit up rather than laying down and be somewhere you can geet fresh air. I knowit sounds crazy, but eating an apple helps too (I also find black licorice is very effective).

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

I don't suffer from motion sickness. I'm one of these people who loves turbulent air flights and big wave action. The only time I've ever been seasick on a cruise was the night we left Glacier Bay heading to Ketchikan.

I have had at least one day of rough seas on each Gulf passage. I wear a patch the whole cruise, but I can get sea sick in a rowboat on a lake. When it gets bad I add the seabands to my wrists and that takes care of it. The patches have to be put on about 12 hours before they take effect and can have some unpleasant side effects, so I wouldn't use them unless seasickness is a problem for you. Just take along the seabands available from any drug store or a pill version of motion sickness meds like dramamine or bonine. If you do get seasick sit up rather than laying down and be somewhere you can geet fresh air. I knowit sounds crazy, but eating an apple helps too (I also find black licorice is very effective).

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Trans Derm Scop, recommended application is at least 4 hours prior, with a 72 hour action. Most people do tolerate this, and applying them early, unnecessarily, will only have it run out earlier. Go with your health care provider's instructions.

:eek:Hi, Folks,

I was on the Alaskan Marine Highway ferry years ago when a HURRICAN blew up (late November) and we were crashing up and down 8-10 ft. waves. We had to wear life jackets and "take evasive action" by going more inland in order to get back down the IP. So you just can never tell. Being seasick at sea is better than feeling fine on land, as far as I am concerned! (But then, I never get seasick and am very fortunate. I know it is not funny.) I was on a freighter in the north atlantic for winter crossing (only passenger!) and we lost four containers and had to tie ourselves in our berths. My kind of trip!:p

Good luck in your Alaska crossing.

People react to medications differently, so you might want to test what you decide to take before you go. The ingredient in Bonine is Meclizine and I've purchased it under that name as well. My husband gets very seasick and has had good success taking Bonine/Meclizine. He starts taking is a day or two before the cruise to get it in his system then take it twice a day during the cruise. Works for him.

Same thing makes me very drowsy, so I only take it at bedtime if I take it at all as I don't ususally get seasick unless it's really rocking. I've also had success using ginger as there are no side affects with that, but it doesn't work so well for hubby.

Archived