Torn between two ships

I am torn between the February 2013 FOS eastern and Feb IOS eastern. IOS is going into dry dock in May 2013 and is going to get the upgrades FOS got last year. That 8 day itinerary looks really nice but FOS has the upgrades. Does anyone have an opinion?

I am bringing my adult daughter who has never cruised before and rarely takes a vacation. She always puts everyone else first and I want to give her the vacation of a lifetime.

I am torn between the February 2013 FOS eastern and Feb IOS eastern. IOS is going into dry dock in May 2013 and is going to get the upgrades FOS got last year. That 8 day itinerary looks really nice but FOS has the upgrades. Does anyone have an opinion?

I am bringing my adult daughter who has never cruised before and rarely takes a vacation. She always puts everyone else first and I want to give her the vacation of a lifetime.

I LOVE Freedom, but I would do Independence, for sure. It gives you an extra day, includes Labadee and leaves from FLL. Especially in February, you have a good change of having cold weather in Pt. Canaveral and CoCocay, Indy stays farther south most of the week. That time of year, it is very possible that you will miss CoCocay and end up with 4 days at sea and two in port on Freedom.

The updates on Freedom aren't worth losing a day and the chance of cold weather, we sailed on Freedom and Liberty pre and post drydock.

Keep in mind, the Indy is two years newer than Freedom, so I wouldn't worry about age.

From what I understand, there isn't much of a difference between Freedom and Independence, even with the upgrades. They are both still relatively new ships and I'm sure are in excellent condition. If it were me, I'd opt for the Independence 8-day route. Have fun and enjoy whatever you choose! :)

We have been on Independence of the Seas on it's inaugural year.

Independence is newer, but it has been overseas for the past 4 or 5 years.

I'm so happy that they are bringing her back to Ft. Lauradale at the end of this year.

The ship is in the same class as Freedom of the Seas. It's the same layout as Independence, (Independence being newer) The only thing I see is that when they

refurbished Freedom of the Seas they put the new features as the Oasis. As far a shows, restaurants and the flat screen TV's by the elevators that displays, restaurants availability, what's happening around the ship, even tells the location you are on the ship, just by touching the screen. (very cool feature)

My opinion would be go Freedom of the Seas, newer features, up graded ship.

Also remember, Freedom is out of Port Canaveral, Independence will be out of Ft. Lauradale, Fl.

Both beautiful ships, and lots of things to do. Love, love, love the flow rider!!!

I did the FOS last summer, I guess you could say it is very "port intensive"! Personally, I felt like 4 ports was too much for a 7 day cruise! By the 4th port, we were tired of touring and such! I feel like maybe the IOS would be more leisurely and the extra day would break up the ports. IOS is essentially the same thing as FOS (i'm assuming?) and I thought FOS was fantastic even w/o though the dry-dock enhancements it is about to gain. You will have a fantastic time either way. Same class of ships so it will be pretty similar experiences! Someone mentioned the Outdoor movie pool screen was annoying, I personally loved it. I'm 16. I thought it was awesome to hang out in the hot tub/pool and watch movies which they play nightly. So fun! I guess it could be a bother to some? But even my parents enjoyed it! During the day, it is not as much a distraction, they leave it on, play music with just an image. You will have such a fun experience! Hope this helped :)

I did the FOS last summer, I guess you could say it is very "port intensive"! Personally, I felt like 4 ports was too much for a 7 day cruise! By the 4th port, we were tired of touring and such! I feel like maybe the IOS would be more leisurely and the extra day would break up the ports. IOS is essentially the same thing as FOS (i'm assuming?) and I thought FOS was fantastic even w/o though the dry-dock enhancements it is about to gain. You will have a fantastic time either way. Same class of ships so it will be pretty similar experiences! Someone mentioned the Outdoor movie pool screen was annoying, I personally loved it. I'm 16. I thought it was awesome to hang out in the hot tub/pool and watch movies which they play nightly. So fun! I guess it could be a bother to some? But even my parents enjoyed it! During the day, it is not as much a distraction, they leave it on, play music with just an image. You will have such a fun experience! Hope this helped :)

The OP is talking about the 3 port Eastern itinerary

Hi

I have sailed Freedom before upgrades, Liberty after upgrades and done the 8 night Navigaor itinerary that IOS is now doing. Since your not bringing young children definitely go for the 8 night IOS. Its a great itinerary with an extra night. The outdoor movie screen is not a big deal, during the day it shows nothing and I only say one movie night the whole week. The cupcake cupboard is not important either. The Dreamworks characters are fun if you have young children. I love this class of ship as I love watching people on flowrider which both ships have so go for the better itinerary!

Triena

I am not sure that there is much in the upgrades that Freedom received that would make or break a cruise for your adult daughter. I would go with the extra day on Independence.... which is exactly what I am doing in March.

The 8 day IOS is about $250 more per person. I have done a western over New Years before and the temperature was fine. I would hate to miss Coco Cay because the private islands are my favorite stop.

Just because it is "upgraded" does not really mean it is better.

All they did was add a movie screen that is not used too much.

And some dumb cup-cake store.

Other than that, they are the exact same ship.

Go for the extra day..

My family did an 8 night LOS Eastern Car. Cruise in 2011 during Feb school vacation. It was only our second cruise and the first on RCCL. The extra day was great! LOS had just been refurbed when we sailed on her, but since it was a first RCCL cruise for us...we had nothing to compare to. The weather was warm at every port ( San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Labadee). We liked the extra day so much that we are now sailing Explorer out of Bayonne, NJ in 2013 for 9 nights. Since I dont get the chance to cruise as often as I like I definately want the extra days! Enjoy! Go for the extra day!:(

I say Freedom, but I don't like the Independence.

But keep in mind that crews change over time and a past experience aboard a ship does not mean it would be the same today. After we sailed Independence one of the comments that I made was I found the crew to be rather cold and non engaging. That was three years ago and just a few weeks before Indy was to leave to go over to Britain. I had heard from one of the crew that there were a lot of people who were unhappy about the move. I don't know if that contributed to the overall atmosphere or not. I guess in March I will find out if there is a different "feel" to the ship or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived