Open Letter to Carnival

Mikel1733

I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a personal guess . . .

There is not a person on the planet who gained/cheated their CCL status by booking back to back 2-day cruises. Heck, I don't think that option has ever existed.

Just what I was thinking. For us, platinum status equals ten 7 day cruises and since then all our cruises have been 7-12 day cruises.

As far as the loyalty program goes, there was 3+ years worth of hype about how wonderful it would be and now it looks like, not only are they NOT adding any perks but they've decided to take away perks. That's what frosts it for me...it's not that the little bonus' mean that much but that Carnival doesn't think repeat cruisers are worth it to them....

I am not really that upset about the perks or lack thereof. Its the perception that they don't care about the customer, topped off with the build up that this loyalty program is going to be so great and special and its anything but. Atleast act like you care.

By Carnival switching to an actual number of days sailed, they are just catching up to what other lines have done partly because of the inequity of receiving the same credit for a 2-3 day sailing as an 8-day sailing.

My area of the country has not been fortunate enough like Florida to have the option of a cruise to nowhere or a 2-3 day sailing. So, it takes a lot longer to get to the same number of sailings than it would if Carnival was countlng the actual number of days sailed on their ships.

MARAPRINCE

Some folks do take loyalty programs very seriously. ABC news is reporting that a Chicago man who has accumulated more than a million miles in United Airlines' frequent flier program has sued the airline in a class action for "immorally" rescinding perks for "Million Milers." Its an interesting read on the .com page. Once a customer feels they have earned the rewards playing by the rules of the company, taking away benefits is not viewed well by customers.

This weekend a number of changes to Carnival have been unofficially leaked, or reported on Cruise Critic, Facebook, and by returning passengers. The apparent response of Carnival is to deny or postpone comment until a future date.

Many of your loyal cruisers have trips booked in the coming months and or anticipate future bookings in the short term. I myself was ready to book a September cruise this weekend, but that is now on hold.

We deserve to know what kind of product we are booking? This weekend it has become apparent the loyalty program has major changes you don't yet wish to discuss after 3 1/2 years. As a current Platinum member I won't be guaranteed a fixed dining time in the MDR. Laundry service will apparently be limited, no ice is apparently standard in each room, and the farewell party is being eliminated, among many other changes.

I feel it is in the best interest of your customer and ultimately you to let us know what we can expect for our vacation dollars? At this point much faith is being lost in your Ambassador John Heald by many of your customers. He has been a major asset to you and it would be a shame for this loss of confidence to be permanent.

I would ask that all changes be addressed this coming week.

Sincerely,

Mikel1733

I will be happy to provide my name, address and customer number to the proper people at Carnival

I absolutely can't believe all of the whining going on here. Other than expedited embarkation and debarkation, I don't see what of the complaining is about. Ice in the rooms, snacks, etc., give me a break. I have sailed 6 times with Carnival and I feel that I really get my moneys worth. I don't expect anything more than that and I have never had a complaint with Carnival. I feel we get a great cruise, good food and excellent service. What more could one ask for. Why does everyone want something for nothing?

Little freebies, little perks - do I need to do them? Yes and no. I could easily not do them, but I sell more when I do, and more importantly I create more loyalty when I do.

This new program of Carnival's does not create brand loyalty, and all these people saying "if you don't like it, go find another cruise line" prove that it doesn't. I would really like to know who Carnival is targeting with it, and it will be interesting to see how long it lasts and how it works for them.

Excellent Post and excellent way to run a business! I suspect the bean counters at Carnival told the various departments that they must save money and that they must do so while trying to keep the customers satisfied. Thus you see little money saving measures everywhere but you also see some things improved. (ones that don't cost money) On my last Cruise 5/7/12 on Triumph the staff called me and many many others by our first name throughout the cruise. (I was amazed they could remember so many names). They were the friendliest most helpful cruise staff I've ever met. It didn't cost Carnival a thing but it added to the enjoyment of that Cruise. I know now that the friendliness of the staff was a planned, trained, thing because a servey they sent after the cruise asked not only how well the various departments did their job but also how friendly the different departments were. I had never been asked this question on a Cruise servey. Unfortunately the bean counters did not realize that customers would feel betrayed by the changes they were making. Not knowing what financial issues they face, I'm not sure it would have made any difference if they had known how customers would feel. I have enjoyed my Carnival Cruises and will continue to cruise with them for as long as I continue to do so. I will admit that I do not so much have brand loyalty as I have a desire to have more of the same.

You mentioned a 2 day interior was closely priced to a 7 day balcony.

A 2 day interior will run you $300. An 8 day balcony next summer will run me almost $1600.

Not sure what point you are trying to make but this is the math I used to point out you may have been stretching your facts.

Maybe on the 2 that you chose that is the case, but going out of Miami there is a 2 day that is $279 interior per person in November and a 7 day that is $499 for a balcony...the interior is $349...so for $70 more per person you get an extra 5 nights...not stretching facts at all, just looking at comparable sailings...same port, same time of year...

So, I guess CCL is the only cruise line that is ever going to change its loyalty program. My bet is some of the others are waiting to see what CCL did before they make their changes at some point.

ALL companies are out to make a profit or they go out of business.

Remember when soda was free with dinner on the cruises? Which line got rid of that first? And how many followed?

Regardless of what industry you are in, the CEO will do what he wants to make the company money. And a lot of times it has a negative effect on a percentage of customers, but it makes the company more profitable and a better investment for its shareholders...so, keep the loyals happy by giving them a few bags of laundry or keep the shareholders happy by claiming profits?

It is always going to come down to the almighty dollar, it is the way of the world.

And not that I agree with the people taking shorter cruises to cheat the system, but I do believe that some abuse of the system is the reason for the cutbacks. Past guests bringing non past guest into the party, the free drinks are there for your enjoyment, not your drunken fuel...maybe if people only took 1 or 2 instead of a table taking an entire tray and waiting for the next one to come out...and laundry, yes, to save on baggage fees it is a great perk, but maybe too many people washed all of their clothes right before the end of the cruise so they didn't have to do laundry when they got home...each one of these things may not add up to more than a few dollars per person, but add that up on each sailing over the year...

Let me ask you this...

Lets say the laundromat had a card reader and if you were platinum you swiped your card and got the washing machine, dryer and laundry detergent for free...would you still do as much laundry if you had to wash and dry and fold it yourself? I know I wouldn't...I would pay the $15 or so and send it out when I needed it...

Also, for the past guest party, maybe instead of the free drinks they should offer drink tickets...1 or 2 per person to be used on the ship druing their cruise...this way you are still being rewarded with a free drink, but not having the ability to take an entire tray...

It will be interesting to see those loyal CCL cruisers leave to go to another line only to find them cutback once you get there...

How much do these perks cost Carnival? How much is the cruiseline going to save by eliminating them? It sure seems like the cost of alienating past passengers is greater than the dollar cost of the drinks, laundry, food, ice and other perks. People want to be made happy when they are on vacation and be treated well. Happy passengers spend more money and return for more good times whenever they can. If the perks that I enjoyed on my last Carnival cruise are missing on the next Carnival cruise do you think I am going to want to spend more money on drinks, photos, excursions, specialty restaurants, etc.? NO I am going to keep my card in my pocket and not patronize the company that is shortchanging me. I will also not be back. I will be looking for a new cruise line that treats me better. If people are on a budget and Carnival is the cheapest option then they cannot spend a lot of money on board anyway. It is the frequent cruisers that have more money that Carnival should be trying to keep....and these cruisers expect to be appreciated and rewarded for their loyalty. I cannot believe that the money saved by cutting out these perks outweighs the bad will that it is creating.

How much do these perks cost Carnival? How much is the cruiseline going to save by eliminating them? It sure seems like the cost of alienating past passengers is greater than the dollar cost of the drinks, laundry, food, ice and other perks. People want to be made happy when they are on vacation and be treated well. Happy passengers spend more money and return for more good times whenever they can. If the perks that I enjoyed on my last Carnival cruise are missing on the next Carnival cruise do you think I am going to want to spend more money on drinks, photos, excursions, specialty restaurants, etc.? NO I am going to keep my card in my pocket and not patronize the company that is shortchanging me. I will also not be back. I will be looking for a new cruise line that treats me better. If people are on a budget and Carnival is the cheapest option then they cannot spend a lot of money on board anyway. It is the frequent cruisers that have more money that Carnival should be trying to keep....and these cruisers expect to be appreciated and rewarded for their loyalty. I cannot believe that the money saved by cutting out these perks outweighs the bad will that it is creating.

I agree! I'm not sure what Carnival feels is a good customer. I thought after 12 cruises I would be classified as one. However, someone on this thread scoffed at the idea I was a frequent cruiser. All of my cruises have been 7 days and longer except for one 4 day. And not living in a port state we always have paid a full fare. Our state never qualifies for the state discounts like FL and TX get among others. So I would sure think Carnival would want my business?

"Many people who have platinum status obtained it from "cheating the system" (for lack of better words - note how I said MANY not all!) from how I read it, Carnival extended this platinum status to cruisers after a 10th cruise. What people were doing is booking back to back 2 day cruises to gain this status."

It's interesting to read how many individuals just choose to misread a quote...the MANY becomes ALL and the 2 day b2b becomes 7 day b2b. Just saying

Emi

I absolutely can't believe all of the whining going on here. Other than expedited embarkation and debarkation, I don't see what of the complaining is about. Ice in the rooms, snacks, etc., give me a break. I have sailed 6 times with Carnival and I feel that I really get my moneys worth. I don't expect anything more than that and I have never had a complaint with Carnival. I feel we get a great cruise, good food and excellent service. What more could one ask for. Why does everyone want something for nothing?

It is not something for nothing. It is something that you earned.

Oh my gosh, will the moaning and complaining ever end?! *banging head against wall*

Please keep it down over there. Some of us are trying to sleep.

Signed - the person on the other side of the wall

They don't and the more people whine about it the more I think Carnival should drop it altogether.

I think that's the plan - just like the fun farwell was a means to kill the one free party for all.

Recently on The Liberty.....very disappointed. We're done with Carnival after many cruises with them. Back to Celebrity, Hal and Princess. I know Carnival could care less!

I think that is also part of the plan..Why keep customers loyal to your cheapest brand?

After all I've read on this topic the past few days I think it would be wise for the "Beards" at Carnival to announce that they're leaving the loyalty program alone having failed to come up with a better plan. And for heavens sake they better keep bringing ice to the rooms! Then John Heald should do away with his blog and facebook page and just be a CD. I bet everyone, including John Heald, would be happier in the long run if this were to happen. :)

COULD NOT DISAGREE WITH YOU MORE. The ice is still there, you just need to indicate that you would like it and it will be left for you. John helps alot of people with his blog and Facebook page, no one is making you read it.

People are getting to bent out of shape.

I think that's the plan - just like the fun farwell was a means to kill the one free party for all.

I think that is also part of the plan..Why keep customers loyal to your cheapest brand?

I don't think it is the plan at all. The noise will eventually cease and perhaps a handful of people might actually walk the talk.

Unlike other cruise lines, Carnival's business model doesn't depend upon a loyalty program. They know the real money to be made is with new cruisers and there are still zillions of people who have never tried cruising.

I don't think it is the plan at all. The noise will eventually cease and perhaps a handful of people might actually walk the talk.

Unlike other cruise lines, Carnival's business model doesn't depend upon a loyalty program. They know the real money to be made is with new cruisers and there are still zillions of people who have never tried cruising.

I disagree. I think Carnival's business heavily depends on repeat cruisers. If the entire population of the USA (307,547,630 at last count) take a Cruise only one time (highly unlikely that all the people will take a cruise during their lifetimes) and if none of them cruise a second time, then with CCL's current ship numbers (they will probably build more) all operating with an mean cruise length of 7 days, (some are more some are less but majority are 7 day) then Carnival Cruise line will exhaust ALL POSSIBLE USA CUSTOMERS in 71 years. True, It would take 1500 years for them to exhaust the entire population of the Earth but realistically with most of the Earths population unable to even get clean water and food, do you think they are going to take a cruise?????

This does not even take into account the free advertising that frequent, repeat cruisers give a cruise line by their word of mouth.

I disagree. I think Carnival's business heavily depends on repeat cruisers. If the entire population of the USA (307,547,630 at last count) take a Cruise only one time (highly unlikely that all the people will take a cruise during their lifetimes) and if none of them cruise a second time, then with CCL's current ship numbers (they will probably build more) all operating with an mean cruise length of 7 days, (some are more some are less but majority are 7 day) then Carnival Cruise line will exhaust ALL POSSIBLE USA CUSTOMERS in 71 years. True, It would take 1500 years for them to exhaust the entire population of the Earth but realistically with most of the Earths population unable to even get clean water and food, do you think they are going to take a cruise?????

This does not even take into account the free advertising that frequent, repeat cruisers give a cruise line by their word of mouth.

I think 150% of statistics are made up.

I've said before that nobody is irreplaceable and many frequent cruisers overvalue themselves. Repeat customers do not grow a business or pay for new cruise ships.

Carnival is a successful business and knows what it is doing.

I think 150% of statistics are made up.

I've said before that nobody is irreplaceable and many frequent cruisers overvalue themselves. Repeat customers do not grow a business or pay for new cruise ships.

Carnival is a successful business and knows what it is doing.

Statistics can indeed be scewed so I didn't use any. The only numbers I mentioned were facts. The population of the USA at the last Census. The population of the Earth according to the "world clock". I based my opinion on the total number of Carnival ships sailing 365 days per year, carrying maximum number of passengers, on 7 day cruises. Sure a few cruises are longer than 7 days but many are shorter. If I had based my calculations on 5 day cruises for instance, Carnival would exhaust its virgin cruiser customer base even faster.

Repeat customers DO grow a business and hopefully Carnival learns this before its too late.

Archived