Open Letter to Carnival

Mikel1733

This weekend a number of changes to Carnival have been unofficially leaked, or reported on Cruise Critic, Facebook, and by returning passengers. The apparent response of Carnival is to deny or postpone comment until a future date.

Many of your loyal cruisers have trips booked in the coming months and or anticipate future bookings in the short term. I myself was ready to book a September cruise this weekend, but that is now on hold.

We deserve to know what kind of product we are booking? This weekend it has become apparent the loyalty program has major changes you don't yet wish to discuss after 3 1/2 years. As a current Platinum member I won't be guaranteed a fixed dining time in the MDR. Laundry service will apparently be limited, no ice is apparently standard in each room, and the farewell party is being eliminated, among many other changes.

I feel it is in the best interest of your customer and ultimately you to let us know what we can expect for our vacation dollars? At this point much faith is being lost in your Ambassador John Heald by many of your customers. He has been a major asset to you and it would be a shame for this loss of confidence to be permanent.

I would ask that all changes be addressed this coming week.

Sincerely,

Mikel1733

I will be happy to provide my name, address and customer number to the proper people at Carnival

This weekend a number of changes to Carnival have been unofficially leaked, or reported on Cruise Critic, Facebook, and by returning passengers. The apparent response of Carnival is to deny or postpone comment until a future date.

Many of your loyal cruisers have trips booked in the coming months and or anticipate future bookings in the short term. I myself was ready to book a September cruise this weekend, but that is now on hold.

We deserve to know what kind of product we are booking? This weekend it has become apparent the loyalty program has major changes you don't yet wish to discuss after 3 1/2 years. As a current Platinum member I won't be guaranteed a fixed dining time in the MDR. Laundry service will apparently be limited, no ice is apparently standard in each room, and the farewell party is being eliminated, among many other changes.

I feel it is in the best interest of your customer and ultimately you to let us know what we can expect for our vacation dollars? At this point much faith is being lost in your Ambassador John Heald by many of your customers. He has been a major asset to you and it would be a shame for this loss of confidence to be permanent.

Sincerely,

Mikel1733

I will be happy to provide my name, address and customer number to the proper people at Carnival

I think the problem wi the Ambassador is all the comments on Facebook that have any constructive criticism it completely attack by his group of follower and their comment or opinions are near read. It sucks for us Carnival faithful.

Sincerely,

Mikel1733

Mamaskittles

I know you mean well but I really don't think anyone at Carnival gives a darn. They knew that the real base Carnival customer with 10 or 15 or 20 cruises under his/her belt would be upset with all the slashes and cut-backs they don't care. The only people really upset are those that have cruised alot. The new cruiser demographic is not a moderately wealthy person with a larger leisure resources. They want the middle class worker with kids on a budget. Especially first time cruisers with little to no knowledge of the good things gone.

Sincerely, Mikel1733

I totally agree with this post! We've been discussing booking the Bloggers6 8 day cruise out of MIA 19Jan13 and have been dismayed by many of the matters cited and have delayed booking to see what happens next. Our vacation dollars are finite, and not about to be wasted! If you would like, I would also provide my contact details privately. Silver

ETA: Mamaskittles may be right, but we are a happily retired couple, with ample resources, have cruised more than a few times, and discovered the Carnival product recently and LOVED it. It is our hope that we are not forced to find a new favorite cruise line!

Sincerely,

Mikel1733

I'm sorry......I don't mean to rain on your parade......but.....it took them over 3 years to come up with this pathetic loyalty program and you give them a week to address the issues we have with the changes??? Sorry, but I think Carnival will get around to responding when they're good and ready....and not before. It doesn't matter how many of us loyal cruisers are upset.

Sincerely,

Mikel1733

Nice try and we feel the same but basically, Carnival doesn't give a damn.:(

I'm sorry......I don't mean to rain on your parade......but.....it took them over 3 years to come up with this pathetic loyalty program and you give them a week to address the issues we have with the changes??? Sorry, but I think Carnival will get around to responding when they're good and ready....and not before. It doesn't matter how many of us loyal cruisers are upset.
That's exactly the point. Loyal customers are being treated as expendable....and, actually, we are!! Money talks, and many of us are ready to walk! Silver

Sincerely,

Mikel1733

Dear Carnival,

I add my signature to the above letter with the following comments:

I have cruised 9 times with Carnival and have 3 more cruises booked before April 2013. I have repeatedly told everyone who will listen all the things I find to be superior at Carnival: the size of the standard room, robes in the rooms, farewell party with drinks, free nighttime room service (indeed I like being able to enjoy vacation without having to budget for unexpected expenses so I don't want to be nickled and dimed for every little thing!), Lobster and Escargot in the main dining room, the Karaoke, the Comedy club, the fun party atmosphere, and the great passenger loyalty program with a past passenger party for ALL past passengers (even those with only 1 cruise in the past). I don't ask that you improve things, I don't need bigger and better ships. I don't ineed or want a cruise ship with an ice skating ring or a football field. I just want my Carnival to keep giving me the value filled fun vacation that it has in the past.

That's exactly the point. Loyal customers are being treated as expendable....and, actually, we are!! Money talks, and many of us are ready to walk! Silver

You are correct, I was ready to book a September cruise this weekend. Then all the changes started being posted from different sources which puts some doubt in my mind even though I have 2 FCC to use by 2015. I found a very interesting Celebrity repositioning cruise today. I'm not going to wait until the end of June to get more details on the changes. We may just give Celebrity a try.

Show them your money has walked.

Book with NCL or RCL and send them this letter with your confirmation of your NCL/RCL cruise. Then and only then might they give a rats a$$ but even then i doubt it.

As mentioned plenty of other cruise lines will do your laundry and some give free drinks daily. But you pay for it in the long run. Really They go after first time cruisers and those that don't even know about perks.

So make a choice and move on.

You are correct, I was ready to book a September cruise this weekend. Then all the changes started being posted from different sources which puts some doubt in my mind even though I have 2 FCC to use by 2015. I found a very interesting Celebrity repositioning cruise today. I'm not going to wait until the end of June to get more details on the changes. We may just give Celebrity a try.

I have cruised Celebrity. It is stunning. There is really an upsclale atmosphere on their ships. I know Carnival was /is more laid back and maybe not as stuffy to some but for an elegant reasonably priced cruise with real meaningful bangs for your bucks Celebrity is a go to line.

After all I've read on this topic the past few days I think it would be wise for the "Beards" at Carnival to announce that they're leaving the loyalty program alone having failed to come up with a better plan. And for heavens sake they better keep bringing ice to the rooms! Then John Heald should do away with his blog and facebook page and just be a CD. I bet everyone, including John Heald, would be happier in the long run if this were to happen. :)

I am a fairly new cruiser, as such I guess I would fall into the demographic of new cruisers who have no idea what they are missing. However, I have done quite a bit of reading here and everywhere, and my conclusion is this: At the end of the day Carnival is in business to make money. Period!

Many people who have platinum status obtained it from "cheating the system" (for lack of better words - note how I said MANY not all!) from how I read it, Carnival extended this platinum status to cruisers after a 10th cruise. What people were doing is booking back to back 2 day cruises to gain this status. I suspect Carnival extended this offer to be used so that even people who had tight budgets could benefit from the program. Instead it was exploited. So end result is the people who exploited the loop hole have ruined it for everyone else.

Yes not having the perks sucks, but you know what? Although I may not be a veteran cruiser, I am a more of a Disney goer.

Disney usually offers a free dining plan and has for many years (generally starting around beginning to mid August) This year they offered it towards the end of August. Now, am I going to get all bent out of shape because I have always enjoyed free dinning from Disney for my two week yearly visits and this year they started offering it late in the year? NO...

Disney's quick service dinning plan used to include 2 snacks, people saw a loophole of using left over credits to take "snacks" home, such as chocolate bars candies and other concession goodies. Disney saw this as an exploit and now offers 1 snack with quick service. Does this upset me? NO... why? Because last year I used the snack credits I had left over (from my 1 snack a day credit) and brought home 6 lollipops and I still have 4!!! I didn't starve while I was there, I ate well.

This year I decided that I would take a cruise for 5 days first, then go to Disney my last week on vacation when they offered the free dinning, and you know why I decided on that? Cause it works for my family - these guys are in business to make money and I am cheap and would rather save money. So moral of the story... if Carnaval's perks or lack thereof affect your family vacation that badly, maybe you need to look for something that does work for your family.

Just because you have platinum status does not mean you can only vacation with them! Do what works for your family!

As mentioned plenty of other cruise lines will do your laundry and some give free drinks daily. But you pay for it in the long run. Really They go after first time cruisers and those that don't even know about perks.

Thank you for your helpful, considerate post. Gee, who would have thunk of such a solution? (Color me sarcastic!) :rolleyes: Silver

I think the problem wi the Ambassador is all the comments on Facebook that have any constructive criticism it completely attack by his group of follower and their comment or opinions are near read. It sucks for us Carnival faithful.

His cult of personality will be his undoing.

I am a fairly new cruiser, as such I guess I would fall into the demographic of new cruisers who have no idea what they are missing. However, I have done quite a bit of reading here and everywhere, and my conclusion is this: At the end of the day Carnival is in business to make money. Period!

Many people who have platinum status obtained it from "cheating the system" (for lack of better words - note how I said MANY not all!) from how I read it, Carnival extended this platinum status to cruisers after a 10th cruise. What people were doing is booking back to back 2 day cruises to gain this status. I suspect Carnival extended this offer to be used so that even people who had tight budgets could benefit from the program. Instead it was exploited. So end result is the people who exploited the loop hole have ruined it for everyone else.

Yes not having the perks sucks, but you know what? Although I may not be a veteran cruiser, I am a more of a Disney goer.

Disney usually offers a free dining plan and has for many years (generally starting around beginning to mid August) This year they offered it towards the end of August. Now, am I going to get all bent out of shape because I have always enjoyed free dinning from Disney for my two week yearly visits and this year they started offering it late in the year? NO...

Disney's quick service dinning plan used to include 2 snacks, people saw a loophole of using left over credits to take "snacks" home, such as chocolate bars candies and other concession goodies. Disney saw this as an exploit and now offers 1 snack with quick service. Does this upset me? NO... why? Because last year I used the snack credits I had left over (from my 1 snack a day credit) and brought home 6 lollipops and I still have 4!!! I didn't starve while I was there, I ate well.

This year I decided that I would take a cruise for 5 days first, then go to Disney my last week on vacation when they offered the free dinning, and you know why I decided on that? Cause it works for my family - these guys are in business to make money and I am cheap and would rather save money. So moral of the story... if Carnaval's perks or lack thereof affect your family vacation that badly, maybe you need to look for something that does work for your family.

Just because you have platinum status does not mean you can only vacation with them! Do what works for your family!

You hit the nail on the head. You are the new Carnival cruiser. You have no interest in the perks, don't miss what you never had , and find their product cost effective for your families vacation dollars.

It is a shame though, that the bread and butter of the company, those that cruised when the rumors of sex and booze filled party boats almost ruined the line are being tossed away like used undies.

I believe this is a very short-sighted move on Carnivals part. Those long time loyal cruisers who mean ziltch to them now generally leave the ship with huge sail and sign bills and leave the staff very happy with the extra tips they give.

Perhaps not you personally but many new cruisers on a budget are not going to spend the same.

Really, you are wrong. Rare to occasional cruisers not always but often cruise only rarely because they have little time and/or little money. While I'm sure Carnival and the other cruise lines are thrilled to gain their business, in the long run it is us folks who cruise multiple times EVERY year that are really their bread and butter. I am going on my third cruise for the year 2012 on 6/13/12 and I have 2 more booked for 2012. Do you really think Carnival does not wish to "go after" my business?

Really, you are wrong. Rare to occasional cruisers not always but often cruise only rarely because they have little time and/or little money. While I'm sure Carnival and the other cruise lines are thrilled to gain their business, in the long run it is us folks who cruise multiple times EVERY year that are really their bread and butter. I am going on my third cruise for the year 2012 on 6/13/12 and I have 2 more booked for 2012. Do you really think Carnival does not wish to "go after" my business?

Unfortunately they seem to not care for your business anymore. As an experienced cruiser you have certain expectations that first timers do not have. Those expectations cost money. First timers are supremely happy with meatloaf and fried chicken every night. Most experienced cruisers are not. First timers don't expect past guest receptions and galas. First timers never had free expresso and cappuchino in the MDR for dinner. First timers never heard a steel drum quartet on the lido while the carribean sun was shining. First timers did not get the opportunity to find a seat on the lido on a sea day. I could go on and on but why. The reality is that Carnival in pursuit of the almighty dollar cheapened their product, by doing so more sophisticated cruisers bailed for more sophisticated lines. Carnival had to sail full so they kept cabin prices low because that is all the market will bear for a cheap product. Think about it, when you buy a car the cheaper models are cheap for a reason. the amenities, the extras, the safety ratings, leather, onstar, etc. are just not there. Expensive cars have all the bells and whistles and companies that stand behind their products. the same goes for cuises. Once you cheapen something there is no way but down.

I have 33 cruises on Carnival and no intention of stopping. I just wish some of the people threatening to move on would do so a little faster. I have yet to see any of my future cruises drop in price. :p

I hope you aren't a shareholder. Why would you want business to go away and prices to drop if you were?

Unfortunately they seem to not care for your business anymore. As an experienced cruiser you have certain expectations that first timers do not have. Those expectations cost money. First timers are supremely happy with meatloaf and fried chicken every night. Most experienced cruisers are not. First timers don't expect past guest receptions and galas. First timers never had free expresso and cappuchino in the MDR for dinner. First timers never heard a steel drum quartet on the lido while the carribean sun was shining. First timers did not get the opportunity to find a seat on the lido on a sea day. I could go on and on but why. The reality is that Carnival in pursuit of the almighty dollar cheapened their product, by doing so more sophisticated cruisers bailed for more sophisticated lines. Carnival had to sail full so they kept cabin prices low because that is all the market will bear for a cheap product. Think about it, when you buy a car the cheaper models are cheap for a reason. the amenities, the extras, the safety ratings, leather, onstar, etc. are just not there. Expensive cars have all the bells and whistles and companies that stand behind their products. the same goes for cuises. Once you cheapen something there is no way but down.

I hope Carnival is listening and that you are wrong in the end. There are so many things I still love about Carnival. I like that they have been a great value for a great price. I don't want them to become a poor value for a low price. :(

There is much more to eat other than meatloaf and fried chicken. BTW, meatloaf is only offered one night, so if you like it, you better double up on it. ;)

Here are current menus - and food pictures

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/menus/new_11_11/index.htm

Cappuccino and espresso are still free on every Carnival ship except one.

Archived