Open Letter to Carnival

Mikel1733

Dude - you continue to make my original point. That is some people make their platinum going on 2 and 4 or 5 day cruises, where alot of us have done nothing but 7 or 8 day cruises, have less total cruises but more total days, and expense getting there.

Well, I'm not a dude the last time I checked. :p While I think there are plenty of cruisers out there that did do 10 3 day cruises to make platinum, and there are plenty who did 10 7 or 8 day cruises, the vast majority of us have mixed it up. There seems to be an assumption that the 2 day cruises are cheap which they really aren't in comparison.

With the exception of the 2 CTNs and the one 5 day, the rest of my cruises were 7 days, one 8 day and one 6 day all in balconies so it's not like I haven't given Carnival plenty of money and had expenses getting to cruises over the last 6 years.

So I have followed up on this thread after I posted earlier. Maybe I am in the minority, but does anyone else feel that integrity of any business is a big deal? If you promise something for said behavior and then it is changed mid stream does that not cause anyone to doubt the integrity?

It doesn't matter if you care for or use the perks or not. What matters is you were promised these perks for said participation. Different people have different reasons for being loyal to a brand. Does it really matter why? If the brand made a promise and then took part of it back is that okay?

As I mentioned in my earlier post, restrictions on laundry are not a deal breaker for me, but if I was traveling with children it would be. It isn't a sense of entitlment, it is what I was told I would recieve for my loyalty. My loyalty hasn't changed, (yet) but the brands promises have.

The loss of the free stationary was a issue for me. I used that to communicate to my steward daily. I now have to pack a note pad. Was it a deal breaker? No, but it was an inconvienience.

Now it's BOGO for the tounaments. No biggie, it's 20 bucks for crying out loud. I spend that much on one hand of three card poker. But the point is, I was promised free entry when I signed up.

I don't miss they canapes, but some people liked them, and they were part of the perks when they signed up. The petite fors were good. Now, instead of two nights with items delivered to our cabin, we get one night of strawberries and some chocolate treats on the same plate. Deal breaker. No, not yet.

I will reiterate, I do not sail for the perks. My issue is not the lack of them. My issue is that the brand made promises to me that they would honer if I was loyal. I lived up to my end of the bargain. It isn't fair that they would take away anything that they have already promised I would recieve for said loyalty. When I stop sailing This brand, it will not be because I didn't get "perks", it will be because they made promises to me that they didn't honor. If they want to behave like a shady car salesman, I will take my business elsewhere. It isn't the "stuff". Its breaking the deal that bothers me.

It isn't a perk issue. It is an integrity issue. Anyone else feel the same way?

So I have followed up on this thread after I posted earlier. Maybe I am in the minority, but does anyone else feel that integrity of any business is a big deal? If you promise something for said behavior and then it is changed mid stream does that not cause anyone to doubt the integrity?

It doesn't matter if you care for or use the perks or not. What matters is you were promised these perks for said participation. Different people have different reasons for being loyal to a brand. Does it really matter why? If the brand made a promise and then took part of it back is that okay?

As I mentioned in my earlier post, restrictions on laundry are not a deal breaker for me, but if I was traveling with children it would be. It isn't a sense of entitlment, it is what I was told I would recieve for my loyalty. My loyalty hasn't changed, (yet) but the brands promises have.

The loss of the free stationary was a issue for me. I used that to communicate to my steward daily. I now have to pack a note pad. Was it a deal breaker? No, but it was an inconvienience.

Now it's BOGO for the tounaments. No biggie, it's 20 bucks for crying out loud. I spend that much on one hand of three card poker. But the point is, I was promised free entry when I signed up.

I don't miss they canapes, but some people liked them, and they were part of the perks when they signed up. The petite fors were good. Now, instead of two nights with items delivered to our cabin, we get one night of strawberries and some chocolate treats on the same plate. Deal breaker. No, not yet.

I will reiterate, I do not sail for the perks. My issue is not the lack of them. My issue is that the brand made promises to me that they would honer if I was loyal. I lived up to my end of the bargain. It isn't fair that they would take away anything that they have already promised I would recieve for said loyalty. When I stop sailing This brand, it will not be because I didn't get "perks", it will be because they made promises to me that they didn't honor. If they want to behave like a shady car salesman, I will take my business elsewhere. It isn't the "stuff". Its breaking the deal that bothers me.

You hit the nail on the head.

I, also, feel the same way.

I agree.

misstopgun, you are exactly right. Most of the things that have been taken away were not things I would miss personally. It was the fact that they were taken at all, and in such sneaky ways most of the time, that has me up in arms. Integrity indeed.

I've watched the whittling away of things for some time now. I've watched posters here say "no big deal" over and over until one perk or item that affected them personally disappeared and suddenly it was a big deal. :rolleyes:

The "bang for the buck" that people keep regurgitating here is no longer a bang.

My issue is not the lack of them. My issue is that the brand made promises to me that they would honer if I was loyal. I lived up to my end of the bargain. It isn't fair that they would take away anything that they have already promised I would recieve for said loyalty.

I'm not sure that they "promised", in the truest sense of the word, anything. They had a set of perks that they've now changed the parameters for. Lots of companies do that. Are you enrolled in any frequent flier program(s)? I am, and they change frequently, usually right around the time that I become eligible for a "free" flight. ;) I understand peoples' frustration, but I don't think anyone was ever promised that the program would never change.

Also, let's not forget that nothing has been officially announced...

to be honest I would be a dollar that is John is bombarded with constructive comments that things may be looked at again...l read his stuff by really do not live and die by his words. If he truly does represent the "Brand" than once the program is introduced in it's entirety the debate will continue. If he has misrepresented things than he will take the fall for it. Fact is, until it does come out officially, there is no point speculating. You know he reads these boards, and others do, so Carnival would be stupid to not pay attention to what is being said.

If enough of you leave Carnival for other lines than that will show up in their revenue, and if it hits their pockets they may have to rethink things. Do we honestly think revenues will drop because of a few perks lost? Not a chance.

We have only been on 2 cruises (so we are new to the Industry) and clearly book for value due to the size of our family. If there was another cruise line that offered the same thing Carnival does for the same money, than I would try those lines to compare. There is no other line that is similar in price, and the Carnival experience is not so horrible that I have gone through with booking elsewhere. We did book RCI but were faced with 2 shorter days, inferior Islands..all for the same price.

To us value comes first, and if we can visit nice Islands and be given a nice experience on board we are happy. For those who wants perks, maybe superior service, than other lines are there for the pickings. That is what capitalism is all about. You won't find the other lines changing their ways to attract the more value driven customer. Likewise, Carnival won't do a thing to try to change theirs...

Sorry but this last part is not true NCL has done quite abit of changing to increase customer satisfaction and increase sales as has celebrity and RCCL I know because I am a part time travel agent who deals almost only with cruises and have been apart of quite a few webinars over the years by these brands.

By the way Carnival has not done any. I am a platinum member on Carnival and am concerned about the upcoming changes more as a selling point then just for myself. I build up Carnival constantly but maybe with all the changes I've built them up too much.

I am also booked on the Dream in Oct. with 20 other friends and family of which most are 1st time cruisers. When I spoke with guest services they said there was the past guest party and farewell party so I told them (because some of them were also past guests) about the 2 free parties and now I have to go back and say .... um sorry no free parties this looks bad on me and Carnival.

NOT a good way to win new cruisers or build loyalty.

I agree and that's what bothers me as well. It's how we are treated as consumers not about being "entitled" just being treated as promised.

I never cared much for the beef wellington, but it has been gone for a number of years. The cabins are the same size. Many food choices have been added since the demise of the beef wellington. Mongolian Wok, Tandoor are a couple. The popular Comedy shows have been expanded. Opportunities for karaoke with a live band. I still like the Carnival bedding and the pillows are amazing.

Carnival is not starting to charge for the old free cappuccino and espresso. They are upgrading the machines and switching to a superior coffee. It is a different, superior product and only the name is common. It is not what was complimentary for cruisers in the past.

Carnival has gone through Evolution of Fun on most Fantasy class ships. Seaside Theaters have been added to the Conquest class ships that didn't have them. Funship 2.0 is rolling out. Even more amazing upgrades will be done to Carnival Destiny/Sunshine. Carnival has spent and will spend hundreds of millions of dollars on product improvements.

Carnival has added more than they have taken away, but some people seem to focus on events going away that they never attended in the first place. It makes no sense.

I agree cchange is scary change is good otherwise we would get bored give these changes a chance Im sure alot of thought has been put into them I am one of the new cruisers and not understanding past experiences but definetly understand that things are different and might feel uncertain.I have read about cruising industryfinacial changes and trend and believe most cruise industries need to finacially be responsible.I think carnival(not finacial wizard) might be or trying to be industry leader and people might be pleasantly surprised I realize it could go the other way too

I agree cchange is scary change is good otherwise we would get bored give these changes a chance Im sure alot of thought has been put into them I am one of the new cruisers and not understanding past experiences but definetly understand that things are different and might feel uncertain.I have read about cruising industryfinacial changes and trend and believe most cruise industries need to finacially be responsible.I think carnival(not finacial wizard) might be or trying to be industry leader and people might be pleasantly surprised I realize it could go the other way too
oops Im not a finacial wizard just my thoughts

I'm digging this thread. It's always fun to watch the CCL Cheerleaders and John Heald Groupies duke it out with the normal, rational people of the world. :D:D:D

You hit the nail on the head. You are the new Carnival cruiser. You have no interest in the perks, don't miss what you never had , and find their product cost effective for your families vacation dollars.

It is a shame though, that the bread and butter of the company, those that cruised when the rumors of sex and booze filled party boats almost ruined the line are being tossed away like used undies.

I believe this is a very short-sighted move on Carnivals part. Those long time loyal cruisers who mean ziltch to them now generally leave the ship with huge sail and sign bills and leave the staff very happy with the extra tips they give.

Perhaps not you personally but many new cruisers on a budget are not going to spend the same.

I started cruising with CCL because of those rumors, not in spite of them. ;)

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh YES!!! I do believe Jerry Cahill and Micky Arison are sitting around thinking of ways to keep their cruise fares lower than their competitors!! That is obviously why there are cutbacks occurring. Bargain cruises ARE Carnival's niche...always has been....always will be. Hey why don't you switch to Celebrity or even Windstar? You'd be paying a good deal more for your cruise but then you can be happy with more "perks"! Do you think Carnival cares if mamaskittles goes on a different cruise line? If you wanted a Mercedes Benz why would you buy a Chevy and then complain it isn't a Mercedes?

I hope you are right and those corporate big-wigs are in the business of helping Mr. and Mrs. USA save money and do not want any more billions for themselves..

I already said over and over my next cruise will not be on Carnival.

I haven't sailed Carnival since 2007. At that time Carnival was the real and true best value on the ocean.

The MDR food was excellent, the entertainment top notch, the bands were fun and upbeat, the Captains reception was a little glimpse into cruisings great past.

Because of personal issues I took a break from all things cruise related for a couple of years including cc.

Last year I gave in and went to the western Carribean on NCL out of NO. They had the better itinerary and the family members cruising with me wanted to do the freestyle thing ( I don't care for NCL all that much but the cruise was port intensive ).

This year my DD asked if I were going on a cruise ( hypothetically) which line would I choose. I said Carnival, I loved their product and did not realize she was surprising me with the down payment on this up-coming cruise. Had I planned and researched I would not have booked Carnival. I would have learned about the Lido bands gone, the captains reception gone and many of my favorite MDR staples also gone, amoungst other things. Keep in mind many of the changes ( cut-backs ) were put into effect in the past few months long after my cruise was booked and paid for. I like a real cruise experience, so I would have picked a different line. I do get the value Carnival brings to many people. I have full intentions of enjoying the heck out my vacation, I am a loyal cruiser just not a loyal Carnival cruiser.

So that's how I ended up in a Chevy.

And no Carnival could not care less where mamaskittles spends her cruise dollars. At least I am smart enough to know that.

Maybe Carnival will be the one I remember as introducing me to my addiction. I am a CCL cheerleader who is ready to take my business elsewhere. Booked for our 9th cruise in 2013 on Carnival Fantasy and if my not grandfathered in I will go to my new friend Royal Caribbean who are excited to have me. NCL calls me regularly but not my cup of tea. Royal might be able to pull me away from my beloved Carnival if they don't care about me:(

I hope you are right and those corporate big-wigs are in the business of helping Mr. and Mrs. USA save money and do not want any more billions for themselves..

I already said over and over my next cruise will not be on Carnival.

I haven't sailed Carnival since 2007. At that time Carnival was the real and true best value on the ocean.

The MDR food was excellent, the entertainment top notch, the bands were fun and upbeat, the Captains reception was a little glimpse into cruisings great past.

Because of personal issues I took a break from all things cruise related for a couple of years including cc.

Last year I gave in and went to the western Carribean on NCL out of NO. They had the better itinerary and the family members cruising with me wanted to do the freestyle thing ( I don't care for NCL all that much but the cruise was port intensive ).

This year my DD asked if I were going on a cruise ( hypothetically) which line would I choose. I said Carnival, I loved their product and did not realize she was surprising me with the down payment on this up-coming cruise. Had I planned and researched I would not have booked Carnival. I would have learned about the Lido bands gone, the captains reception gone and many of my favorite MDR staples also gone, amoungst other things. Keep in mind many of the changes ( cut-backs ) were put into effect in the past few months long after my cruise was booked and paid for. I like a real cruise experience, so I would have picked a different line. I do get the value Carnival brings to many people. I have full intentions of enjoying the heck out my vacation, I am a loyal cruiser just not a loyal Carnival cruiser.

So that's how I ended up in a Chevy.

And no Carnival could not care less where mamaskittles spends her cruise dollars. At least I am smart enough to know that.

Hope you have a great cruise and it isn't as disappointing as you're expecting. We're thinking about cruising Alaska next year and may book Princess since I've read their Alaskan cruises are excellent.

"Many people who have platinum status obtained it from "cheating the system" (for lack of better words - note how I said MANY not all!) from how I read it, Carnival extended this platinum status to cruisers after a 10th cruise. What people were doing is booking back to back 2 day cruises to gain this status."

Calling people that utilize the system that Carnival or any other line "cheaters shows your lack of understanding of the program and your assumption that they are doing something wrong. Far from it as the lines have set up the system, set the rules and monitor its usage. So please be so kind as the where you get off calling people "cheaters" as that also implies they are some sort of criminals that violated the system. Wrong answer and thank you for putting all cruisers under that blanket. Using Back to back cruises as two cruises is an acceptable use of the system or it would have been stopped long ago. If a person wants to book 2 cruises instead of one long one that is there choice under the existing guidelines as established by the cruise line. There is NO CHEATING the system going on. Just you misunderstanding of what you are talking about.

"Many people who have platinum status obtained it from "cheating the system" (for lack of better words - note how I said MANY not all!) from how I read it, Carnival extended this platinum status to cruisers after a 10th cruise. What people were doing is booking back to back 2 day cruises to gain this status."

Calling people that utilize the system that Carnival or any other line "cheaters shows your lack of understanding of the program and your assumption that they are doing something wrong. Far from it as the lines have set up the system, set the rules and monitor its usage. So please be so kind as the where you get off calling people "cheaters" as that also implies they are some sort of criminals that violated the system. Wrong answer and thank you for putting all cruisers under that blanket. Using Back to back cruises as two cruises is an acceptable use of the system or it would have been stopped long ago. If a person wants to book 2 cruises instead of one long one that is there choice under the existing guidelines as established by the cruise line. There is NO CHEATING the system going on. Just you misunderstanding of what you are talking about.

Booking B2B shorter cruises instead of a longer cruise to get to a higher status level quicker is not cheating the system. Cheating the system would be some type of fraud such as figuring a way to transfer someone else's cruises to your account.

I'm also not sure how prevalent it is. I've looked at B2B short cruises before, but only with the idea that I could get 9-10 days worth of cruising in instead of just 7 for almost the same price.

What I don't see is how people feel they have a right to some perk forever

It seems I missed a lot this weekend. :eek:

John has lost almost all Credibilty on this issue.

The man is just a man. The problem lies in the people who believe he is a God. The poor guy only repeats what he is told and his source sucks.

Your letter is well written, but I advocate a slightly more pithy appraoch:

Dear Mr Cahill,

Please Quit.

Hugs & Kisses,

Neal

I must say that is the best thing I have read on here in a long time.

Hope you have a great cruise and it isn't as disappointing as you're expecting. We're thinking about cruising Alaska next year and may book Princess since I've read their Alaskan cruises are excellent.

Thank you so much for your good wishes. I plan on NOT being disappointed as I have now been informed of what to expect, it can only go up from what the boards are saying lol.

I hope your Alaska cruise is wonderful. :D

Seeing that I am a loonng ways from any perks for traveling on CCL I could give a rats you know what about the changes. BUT it sure is entertaining reading about all of you getting your panties in a wad over something so trivial (imho).

I just wish that my life could be so complete and without worry that I would be on here "acting" as if this was such a big deal in my life. And also that I had the time to "lie in wait" to jump all over what JH had to say just so I could come on here and bash him. Like that takes any courage.

But keep it up please...it is entertaining. Saves me money on buying any new books.

This weekend a number of changes to Carnival have been unofficially leaked, or reported on Cruise Critic, Facebook, and by returning passengers. The apparent response of Carnival is to deny or postpone comment until a future date.

Many of your loyal cruisers have trips booked in the coming months and or anticipate future bookings in the short term. I myself was ready to book a September cruise this weekend, but that is now on hold.

We deserve to know what kind of product we are booking? This weekend it has become apparent the loyalty program has major changes you don't yet wish to discuss after 3 1/2 years. As a current Platinum member I won't be guaranteed a fixed dining time in the MDR. Laundry service will apparently be limited, no ice is apparently standard in each room, and the farewell party is being eliminated, among many other changes.

I feel it is in the best interest of your customer and ultimately you to let us know what we can expect for our vacation dollars? At this point much faith is being lost in your Ambassador John Heald by many of your customers. He has been a major asset to you and it would be a shame for this loss of confidence to be permanent.

I would ask that all changes be addressed this coming week.

Sincerely,

Mikel1733

I will be happy to provide my name, address and customer number to the proper people at Carnival

Dear Carnival,

I add my signature to the above letter with the following comment:

I have cruised 6 times with Carnival and have 2 more cruises booked before April 2013. I was preparing to book a backtoback in July of 2013 as well but that is now on hold until we find out the status of grandfathering (if any) and the new Loyalty Program VIFP. I also have to say Past Guest status has a much better ring to it then VIFP Status.

Archived