Open Letter to Carnival

Mikel1733

Obviously, we still do not know the official details.

However, IF (notice I said IF) this is true.....

WHY was it necessary for Carnival to so horribly MISREPRESENT this all these YEARS?

Now some people may have no problem being misled all these years....I am sure there is a certain percentage of sheep in any group...but this does not set well to me.

I never threatened to leave Carnival if they did not provide more perks OVER THREE YEARS ago. CARNIVAL is the one who has "promised" over and over and over again all these years.

If Carnival had no intent of honoring those "promises" .... then they should have never started this !

Some of us have never sailed Carnival for the perks. However, we did believe we were doing business with an honorable company......it would be more than disappointing to find out that was not the truth.

Obviously, we still do not know the official details.

However, IF (notice I said IF) this is true.....

WHY was it necessary for Carnival to so horribly MISREPRESENT this all these YEARS?

Now some people may have no problem being misled all these years....I am sure there is a certain percentage of sheep in any group...but this does not set well to me.

I never threatened to leave Carnival if they did not provide more perks OVER THREE YEARS ago. CARNIVAL is the one who has "promised" over and over and over again all these years.

If Carnival had no intent of honoring those "promises" .... then they should have never started this !

Some of us have never sailed Carnival for the perks. However, we did believe we were doing business with an honorable company......it would be more than disappointing to find out that was not the truth.

Excellent post.

After all I've read on this topic the past few days I think it would be wise for the "Beards" at Carnival to announce that they're leaving the loyalty program alone having failed to come up with a better plan. And for heavens sake they better keep bringing ice to the rooms! Then John Heald should do away with his blog and facebook page and just be a CD. I bet everyone, including John Heald, would be happier in the long run if this were to happen. :)

Dont speak for the masses especially the masses here on cc and especially on facebook... I like reading John healds blog / facebook.. and dont you think he is told what he can/ cant say from the beards...

to be honest I would be a dollar that is John is bombarded with constructive comments that things may be looked at again...l read his stuff by really do not live and die by his words. If he truly does represent the "Brand" than once the program is introduced in it's entirety the debate will continue. If he has misrepresented things than he will take the fall for it. Fact is, until it does come out officially, there is no point speculating. You know he reads these boards, and others do, so Carnival would be stupid to not pay attention to what is being said.

If enough of you leave Carnival for other lines than that will show up in their revenue, and if it hits their pockets they may have to rethink things. Do we honestly think revenues will drop because of a few perks lost? Not a chance.

We have only been on 2 cruises (so we are new to the Industry) and clearly book for value due to the size of our family. If there was another cruise line that offered the same thing Carnival does for the same money, than I would try those lines to compare. There is no other line that is similar in price, and the Carnival experience is not so horrible that I have gone through with booking elsewhere. We did book RCI but were faced with 2 shorter days, inferior Islands..all for the same price.

To us value comes first, and if we can visit nice Islands and be given a nice experience on board we are happy. For those who wants perks, maybe superior service, than other lines are there for the pickings. That is what capitalism is all about. You won't find the other lines changing their ways to attract the more value driven customer. Likewise, Carnival won't do a thing to try to change theirs...

This weekend a number of changes to Carnival have been unofficially leaked, or reported on Cruise Critic, Facebook, and by returning passengers. The apparent response of Carnival is to deny or postpone comment until a future date.

Many of your loyal cruisers have trips booked in the coming months and or anticipate future bookings in the short term. I myself was ready to book a September cruise this weekend, but that is now on hold.

We deserve to know what kind of product we are booking? This weekend it has become apparent the loyalty program has major changes you don't yet wish to discuss after 3 1/2 years. As a current Platinum member I won't be guaranteed a fixed dining time in the MDR. Laundry service will apparently be limited, no ice is apparently standard in each room, and the farewell party is being eliminated, among many other changes.

I feel it is in the best interest of your customer and ultimately you to let us know what we can expect for our vacation dollars? At this point much faith is being lost in your Ambassador John Heald by many of your customers. He has been a major asset to you and it would be a shame for this loss of confidence to be permanent.

I would ask that all changes be addressed this coming week.

Sincerely,

Mikel1733

I will be happy to provide my name, address and customer number to the proper people at Carnival

Maybe a lot of tweets to @mickeyarison

Do you repeat the same tired lies because of ignorance, or are you just a compulsive liar?

As i said before (and anyone with knowledge of coffee will concur) replacing quality espresso machines, machines that use portafilters, with super auto machines makes FOR POORER QUALITY ESPRESSO!!!! THEY ARE DITCHING HIGH QUALITY MADE IN ITALY ESPRESSO MACHINES FOR FULLY AUTOMATIC MACHINES!!!! SUPER AUTO MACHINES CAN'T MAKE AS GOOD A SHOT AS A MANUAL MACHINE!!!! STOP LYING, STOP LYING!!!!

It's called an opinion. May be someone out there that prefers their shot be filtered through an old gym sock. Grow up and learn to deal with life.

. . . Many people who have platinum status obtained it from "cheating the system" (for lack of better words - note how I said MANY not all!) from how I read it, Carnival extended this platinum status to cruisers after a 10th cruise. What people were doing is booking back to back 2 day cruises to gain this status . . .

I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a personal guess . . .

There is not a person on the planet who gained/cheated their CCL status by booking back to back 2-day cruises. Heck, I don't think that option has ever existed.

There is not a person on the planet who gained/cheated their CCL status by booking back to back 2-day cruises. Heck, I don't think that option has ever existed.

And if that were even possible the person would have definitely earned those cruise points since the 2 day cruises are so expensive ;)

Untrue... I saw a entire thread about this not so long ago, people blantly posting of their ideas and plans to book 2 day b2b cruises to reach the platinum status before Carnival changed it to days sailed not cruises booked.

I think that what many are missing here is that those that are already platinum or above are going to be "grandfathered in" so, why are you all complaining? John Heald also responded that even those that were close to the old rules, would be grandfathered. If you all are so "loyal" to Carnival, then why are you all ready to "jump ship" over a free drink or laundry service? Have you also become that "entitled" that you can't just enjoy the vacation. I challenge any of those complainers to book the same vacation at the same price with all the perks on any other line and get back to me with the proof.

Kudos!! You nailed it! I enjoyed my first cruise without any perks, I enjoyed the people, the staff, the atmosphere and it was affordable and I am doing it all again, because I loved it so much... not because in X number of cruises I will get a couple drinks free at a party that is poorly attended and get a bucket of ice without asking for it. I believe that many if not all people kept cruising after their first cruise for the same reasons... not because of the perks!

People live to complain... Just go out there and have fun! And if loosing these perks really means that much to you - Carnival is not the only Cruise line to ever be, find something that suits your needs and your families needs.

Untrue... I saw a entire thread about this not so long ago, people blantly posting of their ideas and plans to book 2 day b2b cruises to reach the platinum status before Carnival changed it to days sailed not cruises booked.

They can plan all they want but if Carnival doesn't offer several 2 day cruises in a row it won't come to pass....

And if that were even possible the person would have definitely earned those cruise points since the 2 day cruises are so expensive ;)

I was just going to say the same thing - anyone every priced those? :p Yep - I'm one of THOSE people - 2 of my 11 cruises were 2 day cruises to nowhere. :eek: Even booking a last minute "deal" they weren't cheap. I've booked balconies on longer sailings for not much more than an inside on one of those 2 day cruises go for.

Kudos!! You nailed it! I enjoyed my first cruise without any perks, I enjoyed the people, the staff, the atmosphere and it was affordable and I am doing it all again, because I loved it so much... not because in X number of cruises I will get a couple drinks free at a party that is poorly attended and get a bucket of ice without asking for it. I believe that many if not all people kept cruising after their first cruise for the same reasons... not because of the perks!

People live to complain... Just go out there and have fun! And if loosing these perks really means that much to you - Carnival is not the only Cruise line to ever be, find something that suits your needs and your families needs.

I agree with you. What I can't understand is the perks that they get. :confused: I don't see where getting free laundry is that big of a deal (pack more clothes). Free drinks (how many.............2 maybe). :rolleyes: Also, what is so wrong with waiting a little longer to embark? To me I don't consider those that great considering someone is cruising several times a year. You want a real perk, go to Vegas :p. You may even be comped for your room. Do they give plantinum people a free cabin or something really worth getting? I don't think so. I wouldn't cruise just to get free laundry done or a few free drinks. Sorry. I am going on my cruise because I enjoyed my last 2. :p

So if it hasn't happened yet, my earlier guess might still hold true.

They can plan all they want but if Carnival doesn't offer several 2 day cruises in a row it won't come to pass....

:) :)

Dont speak for the masses especially the masses here on cc and especially on facebook... I like reading John healds blog / facebook.. and dont you think he is told what he can/ cant say from the beards...

Of course he's told what he can say and cannot say. It seems as though 3/4 of the people who read his blog/facebook are looking to get some sort of "favor" or gift from him....while the other 1/4 are beating him up and berating him. I can't imagine what he gets out of it other than heartburn and high blood pressure.

I agree with you. What I can't understand is the perks that they get. :confused: I don't see where getting free laundry is that big of a deal (pack more clothes). Free drinks (how many.............2 maybe). :rolleyes: Also, what is so wrong with waiting a little longer to embark? To me I don't consider those that great considering someone is cruising several times a year. You want a real perk, go to Vegas :p. You may even be comped for your room. Do they give plantinum people a free cabin or something really worth getting? I don't think so. I wouldn't cruise just to get free laundry done or a few free drinks. Sorry. I am going on my cruise because I enjoyed my last 2. :p

Yep, that free laundry helps me avoid baggage fees when I have to fly to my embarkation port.

Isn't this all rumor and speculation? When is the last time you were on an empty ship. They're full. They will still be full. Not to be rude but you've cruised what 8 times in the past ten years? While you may be brand loyal your not a frequent cruiser. I'm not brand loyal to anyone. I book what I want and if there is a service I want I pay for it. Maybe they should change the program to be based on dollars spent so they'd really know who to cater to so that stockholders can get the most return from the company they own. Just mu opinion.

You are correct, I've spent over $60,000 with Carnival for cruises for myself and family members and a wedding on carnival. I've introduced many new cruisers to Carnival from which they profited. They have no reason to appreciate my business.

Do you repeat the same tired lies because of ignorance, or are you just a compulsive liar?

As i said before (and anyone with knowledge of coffee will concur) replacing quality espresso machines, machines that use portafilters, with super auto machines makes FOR POORER QUALITY ESPRESSO!!!! THEY ARE DITCHING HIGH QUALITY MADE IN ITALY ESPRESSO MACHINES FOR FULLY AUTOMATIC MACHINES!!!! SUPER AUTO MACHINES CAN'T MAKE AS GOOD A SHOT AS A MANUAL MACHINE!!!! STOP LYING, STOP LYING!!!!

Dude...take a chill! Talk about too much coffee.:eek:

First I want to say that I will continue to sail Carnival regardless of the changes for better or worse until the time comes that I no longer enjoy my vacation with them. I like many have posted don't sail for the "perks". I sail because it is my favorite type of relaxation.

That being said, I can understand why so many are up in arms. I have been cruising since 1999 and was promised benifits after reaching a 10 cruise status. I have been getting them since then. I am very close to "milestone" now and under the old program, all that would add is 25% off of one sailing. That isn't enough to get me continue to sail with a cruise line I wasn't satisfied with. We always get a balcony at minimum so we are talking 4 to 5 hundred. Big deal. Our sail and sign is always 8 times that much or more. (yes we do enjoy ourselves on vacation)

The issue is to many, regardles of the fairness for the number of days etc., it is not a good thing to take away things that were promised and you have acheived because you reached the requirments put forth by them. In my opinion, the only fair thing to do is to grandfather in any perks you have already acheived under their own rules regardless of the level you are placed in. If you wish to acheive a higher level for a couple of more perks, do so under the new rules. It would be a good faith effort and great for their reputation for Carnival to stand by their promises.

Some of the things seem silly. No free cappacino? I will miss it but I drink coffee at home so it's not a deal breaker. Only three bags of laundry? I have never sent more than three on cruise anyway but, if I had three or four children that traveled with me, I could see how that would be a problem. Laundry is important to me. I fly and have to spend extra on luggage if I pack more clothes. (I still pay to have clothes pressed.)

I didn't ask for free laundry, but they offered it to me on the condition that I cruise at least ten times on their brand. I fullfilled my end plus much more.

Bottom line is though most of us don't sail for the perks, those that we have we were promised for being loyal, and we have been. None should be taken away. Though it probably won't entice most of us to jump ship, it will leave us feeling that Carnival's integrity has been greatly compromised. In my book, integrity is high on the list of charactor.

Of course he's told what he can say and cannot say. It seems as though 3/4 of the people who read his blog/facebook are looking to get some sort of "favor" or gift from him....while the other 1/4 are beating him up and berating him. I can't imagine what he gets out of it other than heartburn and high blood pressure.

You are right, those folks are the ones who want entitlements. I don't read the blog or Facebook, all the folks begging "please send something special to Johnny he broke his arm":rolleyes:

I really feel like a lot of people posting don't understand the concept of a "brand loyalty program".

I make soap for a living. After nearly 10 years of working out of my home, I made a huge leap of faith and opened a small boutique in a converted house built in 1910, where people can come buy my products, watch me make soap, take classes, and pet our shop cat.

What I make is a luxury item - you can go to the grocery store and buy 3 bars of commercially made soap for what I charge for one. They even sell "handmade soap" at the grocery store these days! People don't ever need to step foot in here - but when they do, I try my best not only to make them feel welcome but that I appreciate that they took the time to stop by.

I have some very loyal customers, who have watched me grow this business over the years, and I take care of them very well. There's almost always a little something extra in their bag when they leave here, whether it's a lip balm or one of those scrubby bath poufs, or a new product I'm trying out. Everyone who buys a bar of soap receives a stamp card; buy 9 bars of soap and the 10th one is free. I also do custom labels for gifts and shower favors, and because I print all my labels in-house, I can make up a single set of products with custom labels.

But that doesn't mean that the person who is walking in the door for the first time isn't going to leave without a little extra, either. Everyone who comes in the door receives at least one soap sample for them to take home and try, whether they buy something or not. Every purchase that leaves here is packaged up and ready to give as a gift. I welcome people when they come in and walk them to the door when they leave.

The things I give away cost me next to nothing. The soap samples are basically scraps and trimmings, lip balms cost next to nothing to make, and I buy the scrubby bath poufs for 5/$1 at the dollar store. I have to print out labels for products anyway, and the extra 2 minutes of creating a customized label are well worth the time. People love receiving something for free, and they love the personalized way they are treated when they step foot in my store.

I do these things to create brand loyalty, so people want to come back, so they want to spend $4.50 on a bar of soap. (Which is cheap for a bar of handmade soap, might I add!)

I'm not trying to make a sale. I'm creating customers, ones who love what I make and will take the extra time out of their days to come to me for the products they love. And honestly, I don't need to throw these little freebies at the majority of them. Once they use my soap, they're hooked. :D

But because I treat my customers well, they tend to go out of their way for me. I have one customer who not only loves my soap, but she regularly raves about my store on her Facebook page. She's a teacher and she takes brochures and soap samples to the break room at her school. She has brought me several other loyal customers because I treat her well - and as anyone who has taken a basic marketing class will tell you, word of mouth is one of the best and cheapest methods of advertising.

Little freebies, little perks - do I need to do them? Yes and no. I could easily not do them, but I sell more when I do, and more importantly I create more loyalty when I do.

This new program of Carnival's does not create brand loyalty, and all these people saying "if you don't like it, go find another cruise line" prove that it doesn't. I would really like to know who Carnival is targeting with it, and it will be interesting to see how long it lasts and how it works for them.

Maybe they just realize that they there are people (like my family) who will choose them because there are few other choices available, and they just don't care about creating loyalty anymore. Maybe it's ok with them to run their business this way. Maybe they're just after the sale and not the customer - it sure feels that way to me.

I really feel like a lot of people posting don't understand the concept of a "brand loyalty program".

I make soap for a living. After nearly 10 years of working out of my home, I made a huge leap of faith and opened a small boutique in a converted house built in 1910, where people can come buy my products, watch me make soap, take classes, and pet our shop cat.

What I make is a luxury item - you can go to the grocery store and buy 3 bars of commercially made soap for what I charge for one. They even sell "handmade soap" at the grocery store these days! People don't ever need to step foot in here - but when they do, I try my best not only to make them feel welcome but that I appreciate that they took the time to stop by.

I have some very loyal customers, who have watched me grow this business over the years, and I take care of them very well. There's almost always a little something extra in their bag when they leave here, whether it's a lip balm or one of those scrubby bath poufs, or a new product I'm trying out. Everyone who buys a bar of soap receives a stamp card; buy 9 bars of soap and the 10th one is free. I also do custom labels for gifts and shower favors, and because I print all my labels in-house, I can make up a single set of products with custom labels.

But that doesn't mean that the person who is walking in the door for the first time isn't going to leave without a little extra, either. Everyone who comes in the door receives at least one soap sample for them to take home and try, whether they buy something or not. Every purchase that leaves here is packaged up and ready to give as a gift. I welcome people when they come in and walk them to the door when they leave.

The things I give away cost me next to nothing. The soap samples are basically scraps and trimmings, lip balms cost next to nothing to make, and I buy the scrubby bath poufs for 5/$1 at the dollar store. I have to print out labels for products anyway, and the extra 2 minutes of creating a customized label are well worth the time. People love receiving something for free, and they love the personalized way they are treated when they step foot in my store.

I do these things to create brand loyalty, so people want to come back, so they want to spend $4.50 on a bar of soap. (Which is cheap for a bar of handmade soap, might I add!)

I'm not trying to make a sale. I'm creating customers, ones who love what I make and will take the extra time out of their days to come to me for the products they love. And honestly, I don't need to throw these little freebies at the majority of them. Once they use my soap, they're hooked.

But because I treat my customers well, they tend to go out of their way for me. I have one customer who not only loves my soap, but she regularly raves about my store on her Facebook page. She's a teacher and she takes brochures and soap samples to the break room at her school. She has brought me several other loyal customers because I treat her well - and as anyone who has taken a basic marketing class will tell you, word of mouth is one of the best and cheapest methods of advertising.

Little freebies, little perks - do I need to do them? Yes and no. I could easily not do them, but I sell more when I do, and more importantly I create more loyalty when I do.

This new program of Carnival's does not create brand loyalty, and all these people saying "if you don't like it, go find another cruise line" prove that it doesn't. I would really like to know who Carnival is targeting with it, and it will be interesting to see how long it lasts and how it works for them.

Maybe they just realize that they there are people (like my family) who will choose them because there are few other choices available, and they just don't care about creating loyalty anymore. Maybe it's ok with them to run their business this way. Maybe they're just after the sale and not the customer - it sure feels that way to me.

Good post.

I'm not trying to make a sale. I'm creating customers, ones who love what I make and will take the extra time out of their days to come to me for the products they love. And honestly, I don't need to throw these little freebies at the majority of them. Once they use my soap, they're hooked. :D

Since there isn't a "like" button for your post, I'll just say that I totally agree. I work in a small store and realize that word of mouth is so terribly important....and especially in these hard economic times....

I was just going to say the same thing - anyone every priced those? :p Yep - I'm one of THOSE people - 2 of my 11 cruises were 2 day cruises to nowhere. :eek: Even booking a last minute "deal" they weren't cheap. I've booked balconies on longer sailings for not much more than an inside on one of those 2 day cruises go for.

Me thinks you'd be stretching the facts

Thanks for an excellent post. Well said.

Archived