Majesty of the Seas - Do's and Dont's???

My aunt has booked a cruise as a surprise for my uncle's birthday and although I've sailed on RC before, it's been a few years, but I figured this would be the place to come for answers. (I usually cruise with another line so, I'm not an unfamiliar cruiser, just don't know RC too well.)

The ship we'll be sailing on is the Majesty of the Seas, out of Miami. It's the 4 Night Bahamas Cruise.

We have a large group going - several sets of grandparents, several sets of parents & several sets of kids. While I don't think that has an impact on any of my questions, if you think it will - I just thought I'd throw it out there. We're an independent group though - we usually eat breakfast together if we find we're there at the same time, we do our own thing during the day unless we find we're doing the same thing, and we'll meet up for dinner & then figure out who wants to do what after dinner.

I know there are alot of regulars on here that know all the ins & outs, so here are a few of my questions:

1 - I had a really hard time deciding on a cabin. I wanted an OV. It seemed like the higher you went by level, the more you sacrificed by view. The Superior Ocean View is not much more in cost than what I paid for in the OV, but the SOV was on Deck 9, which they said was mostly obstructed so I opted for the OV on Deck 6 that was unobstructed. Just wondering if I should change to Deck 9 or if anybody knew of any specific cabin numbers on 9 that were not obstructed.

2 - I know most cruise lines will tell you when you can board, but I also know that you can usually go much earlier and avoid alot of the craziness - any suggestions on early arrival times?

3 - I did not see where there were any specialty restaurants? Does anybody know differently? Any must have dishes while on board?

4 - Any must see shows? demonstrations? etc.? I saw a few posts about a Martini Madness?

5 - Any must see/do excursions?

6 - Since I like to avoid the craziness - I was thinking of staying on board on some of the days that we're in port - particularly on the day we go to the private island. I don't want to be left with nothing to do on board though???

7 - How is their spa? Do they offer day passes? Any tips for booking?

8 - The "other cruise line" that I sail with regularly also allows you an option to pre-order alcohol/liquor for the room. We have found it's nice to have a drink while dressing for dinner or when we get back at night, also sometimes cheaper. Does anybody know if RC has a similar set-up?

Like I said, I am just unfamiliar with RC, so if anybody has any tips or tricks that they've learned from experience that they feel like passing on - I will gladly take 'em! You may even know of something I haven't thought to ask!

Thanks so much!

A superior OV will give you about 25 more Sq. ft. than a standard OV....this ship has some of the smallest cabins at sea! I don't think a window gives much of a view anyway...it's mainly there for natural light.

Boarding will begin around 11 or so....that's our arrival time...get on that ship!

We don't do many activities and seldom do excursions...we are a DIY sort of cruiser!

On the private island day, the ship will be functioning, but why not get off on Coco Cay...it's beautiful! You don't have to stay all day, but it's really lovely! The spa will have "specials" on port days, but they aren't usually announced in advance.

Sorry...RCI doesn't allow bottles of liquor for personal use. You can take drinks to your cabin, but you can't buy (or bring) your own bottle.

Aside from the alcohol restrictions, I think you'll find the cruises to be more alike than different what you're used to. 4 nighters will have a bit of a "party" feel to them....all short cruises are similar....ltos of folks trying to fit 1 weeks worth of fun into a short time!

Thanks, kruzerci, cb at sea & LBumb.

I've also been reading some other posts & think I *WILL* switch to deck 9.

11am - seems about right. On my other cruises - I usually board around 12p - head to the main dining room for lunch, then off for a couple of drinks!

@cb at sea - thanks for the suggestion with Coco Cay - I'm just not somebody who will go to the beach to lay out all day, but from your post, it sounds like there are a few other things for me to check out. (& I think ur right - most cruise lines probably do things the same.)

@LBumb - thanks so much for the tip about the golf cart!

We are headed on the 3 day for a quick (albeit expensive with airfare) getaway. We are branching out on the DIY thing. We always did ships excursions but since I found this site, it has empowered me to find my own things to do. Anyway, in Nassau, there are a couple of Segway excursions. One is way out of town and goes through trails on private property with a beach break. The second stays in town and you get to go up to the fort near the zoo. It is also close to the Fish Fry for some authentic Bahaman food and also close to Junkanoo beach which is free - they rent chairs and umbrellas - and you can see the ships from the beach. I have seen a lot of posts about staying on board at this stop but if it is your first time there it would be a shame not to go ashore for a while.

As for Coco Cay, why stay on the ship? It looks like a lovely beach break unless you really don't like beach breaks. The tenders go back and forth so you can stay on in the morning and hit the beach in the afternoon or vice versa. You can stay on board. When we went to Belize, we stayed on board. We were anchored 6 miles out, bad weather, choppy seas and DH gets wicked sea sick in smaller crafts. We had the ship nearly to our selves. No worry about chair hogs. That also happened to be the day the crew practiced with the emergency raft. It was in the pool and they had to get it inflated and flip it to the correct side. There was quite a little crowd watching and cheering them on. I don't know which day they do it on this cruise although I seem to remember from the boards it may be in Nassau where the crew practices.

As for specialty restaurants, there aren't any per se. There is the seemingly little known deli above the Windjammer that serves creps, sandwiches, and desserts. There is also Sorentos pizza up there and Johnny Rockets. Only Johnny Rockets has a cover charge.

Search the boards for reviews on the Majesty. Several have pics so you can get a feel for the ship. Also search the port boards for some info about what to do. Seems like a lot of peeps want to go to Atlantis. Hey, it's ok if you want to spend that kind of money just to see a hotel and use their beach. There are cheaper alternatives if you want a hotel beach.

My aunt has booked a cruise as a surprise for my uncle's birthday and although I've sailed on RC before, it's been a few years, but I figured this would be the place to come for answers. (I usually cruise with another line so, I'm not an unfamiliar cruiser, just don't know RC too well.)

The ship we'll be sailing on is the Majesty of the Seas, out of Miami. It's the 4 Night Bahamas Cruise.

We have a large group going - several sets of grandparents, several sets of parents & several sets of kids. While I don't think that has an impact on any of my questions, if you think it will - I just thought I'd throw it out there. We're an independent group though - we usually eat breakfast together if we find we're there at the same time, we do our own thing during the day unless we find we're doing the same thing, and we'll meet up for dinner & then figure out who wants to do what after dinner.

I know there are alot of regulars on here that know all the ins & outs, so here are a few of my questions:

1 - I had a really hard time deciding on a cabin. I wanted an OV. It seemed like the higher you went by level, the more you sacrificed by view. The Superior Ocean View is not much more in cost than what I paid for in the OV, but the SOV was on Deck 9, which they said was mostly obstructed so I opted for the OV on Deck 6 that was unobstructed. Just wondering if I should change to Deck 9 or if anybody knew of any specific cabin numbers on 9 that were not obstructed.

Definately take the SOV! Has a small couch and has a bigger feel to the cabin, even though it is only a few more square feet.

2 - I know most cruise lines will tell you when you can board, but I also know that you can usually go much earlier and avoid alot of the craziness - any suggestions on early arrival times?

We go mto the pier about 11

3 - I did not see where there were any specialty restaurants? Does anybody know differently? Any must have dishes while on board?

Johhny Rockets, if you can call it a specialty restaurant. $5 upcharge (I think, and shakes extra)

4 - Any must see shows? demonstrations? etc.? I saw a few posts about a Martini Madness?

Not on that itinerary. We just do beach day at Coco Cay, walk around town in Nassau, or maybe go to cable beach. Walk around key West, although the Conch train isn't bad if you have not been to Key West.

6 - Since I like to avoid the craziness - I was thinking of staying on board on some of the days that we're in port - particularly on the day we go to the private island. I don't want to be left with nothing to do on board though???

If you have not been to Coco Cay, you really should see it. Does not take long to walk around or sit in a chair for a while. BBQ luncheon on the island, while not great, is fun

We have had treatments, and enjoyed them. Like most ship spa services, a lot depends on the person performing. Some do try a hard sell for products, but if you just say, firmly, no I am not buying anything today, most will stop.

8 - The "other cruise line" that I sail with regularly also allows you an option to pre-order alcohol/liquor for the room. We have found it's nice to have a drink while dressing for dinner or when we get back at night, also sometimes cheaper. Does anybody know if RC has a similar set-up?

Nope, one of my pet peeves.

Like I said, I am just unfamiliar with RC, so if anybody has any tips or tricks that they've learned from experience that they feel like passing on - I will gladly take 'em! You may even know of something I haven't thought to ask!

Thanks so much!

Have a great time!

[SNIP...]

[SNIP...]

-We stayed in cabin 9522. We absolutely loved the cabin too. The view wasn't bad at all. It was right between 2 lifeboats. Here are the pics I took of our view:

Looking straight out

DSC00233.jpg

Looking down

DSC00234.jpg

-I recommend arriving early, around 10:30. Aside from the anticipation, you get the most out of your day. Eat, drink, explore.

-There's Johnny Rockets and compass deli. Johnny Rocket's is a one-time fee, $4.95 I believe and you can eat whatever you want to your heart's content. Compass Deli is free and the sandwiches are fantastic. The soups are great too.

-Quest, Love and Marriage show. Towel folding is a fun one. The shows along the pool are funny as well.

Key West has a great food tasting tour.

CocoCay isn't as busy as you might think it'll be. The island appears small but if you are willing to walk a little bit past the first few beaches, there are less-occupied beaches and places to hang out. The food isn't as bad either.

-Can't express about the spa. It looked nice, we just never used it.

-There's a few packages for wine. Check the Gifts and Gear section on the RCI page.

-I took a lot of pics of the ship. Let me know if you need anymore pictures of areas and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks so much!

Safe and fun travels!

Thanks to KuffMUp, kenevenpar, d4nigirl (special thanks for the pics) & cruiseguy1016 for awnswering - I definitely have some ideas on how to plan a few things.

And I am going to call about switching the cabin - final payment is in 18 days so I'm also keeping an eye on the prices to see what happens.

we took the Majesty 4 nighter in 2010. We had an OV room on Deck 4 and found it to be fine and really not as small as I expected. I liked that we could look out the window, especially at night and see both the stars and the sea. If you decide to switch to deck 9, try to make sure your view is not obstructed too much.

WE got to the port about 10:30 and were on in about an hour or so (we are only Gold so no priority boarding for us). The wait was not bad and the crowd was not memorable (and this was during spring break)

The Compass Deli is a MUST in my opinion. The panini sanwiches, cookies and soups are all fantastic. My DS went at least once a day for something. (all included in cruise fare) Johnny Rockets was ok but nothing super IMHO. If you are a big burger & fries fan and are hungry, the $4.95 service charge is worth it (shakes cost extra)

Agree that QUEST and Love and Marriage should be seen at least once by everyone. Other shows depends on your preferences.

Coco Cay is a nice island and we had a good time walking around it. Saw stingrays and roosters and some other critters. I would get off and at least give it a try. As stated, tenders run all day so you can come and go as you like. IN Key West, we took the trolley tour (we had kids, 6 & 12. with us) and found it a nice way to see most of the island. YOu can get on and off as much as you want. In Nassau we went to Atlantis (again, the kids dictated). If you don't want to do excursions and stay on the ship in a port, I would pick Nassau. But again, you can get off and come back as you like there too.

Never used the spa and never ordered any Wine Packages (the only alcohol packages RCI has)

One more piece of advice: Don't stress about what you may not know about. Enjoy whatever you are doing!

I think all of the questions have been answered, but wanted to confirm they have listed all accurate things...Definitely switch to deck 9 if you can. Not only is the room larger, but you have a safe (I think only decks 8 and 9 have them). And, I do prefer the location rather than a lower deck.

Regarding pre-ordering liquor to have in your room...the only thing available (last I checked) is wine or champagne. i do think this is a good option if you drink wine. The prices are not that bad-very comparable to what you pay in a restaurant for a similar bottle of wine. I think the cheap Mondavi is around $30 or $35. Granted you can buy it for less than $10 at the store, it is still $30-40 at land based restaurants. I generally do the wine and fruit basket combo. If I recall correctly, it made it $5 less. Not sure if they have caught that error yet and corrected it. They will deliver with a basic wine opener (RC logo) that you get to keep (I know, cheesy, but I like to keep them in my suitcases for when I go out of town. Never know when they'll come in handy!). They also obviously deliver wine glasses too. I find it nice to have a glass of wine nightly as I get ready for dinner and this is an easy way to do that.

Archived