Ulu knives - best place to purchase?

klmorg

We plan to pick up a couple/few Ulu knives on our upcoming trip to Alaska. We will be in Anchorage, Denali for a few days, and then the cruise ports of Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan & Vancouver.

Where's the best place to purchase Ulu knives? I think there's a factory in Anchorage, wonder if that's our best bet? Am also considering shipping them back home so we don't have to pack them.

Thanks for any feedback & suggestions!

Every port town has places that sell ulus, but it is buyer beware! Look for the Made in Alaska tag and logo. Have the shop mail them home for you or do that yourself as many ships won't let you take them on board.

I found the cheapest place to buy the knives was the hardware store in Skagway. I might have caught an "End of the Season" sale... The Post Office was just down the street. I shipped several knives in one box plus a bunch of tees. (A word of warning though, the Tees arrive smelling a little fishy) :p

All the cruise lines confiscate them as you board the ship and return them to you as you leave. I believe that they can be put in the checked luggage. but it is just so much easier to ship them home.

Sorry, have to disagree with the last poster - it is not true about having Ulu's confiscated on all cruiselines! HAL does not confiscate ulu knives, and as a matter of fact, actually sells them on board the ship in their gift shops!

With that being said, I purchased my first ulu on my first AK cruise in 2006 while in Juneau. Its lovely, hand carved handle and I use it almost every single day - wonderful, handy implement!

Fast forward four AK trips latter, I've made life much simpler for myself by just ordering my Ulu (they make great gifts for every occassion!) on-line straight from the Ulu Factory website in Achorage. I know I'm getting quality Alaska crafted product and they have a wonderful selection to choose from. No worries about bring them home in checked luggage and the added weight because they are shipped directly from the factory to my home. Just much easier and the selection they offer on their website is pretty hard to beat! Plus no more wasted time in stores while in port - when all I really want to do is be outside experiencing Alaska!:D

Thanks everyone! I will plan to stop in at the Ulu factory in Anchorage. I just called them and they are open 8-7 every day. They also ship home using USPS flat rate boxes, whatever they can fit into the smallest USPS flat rate box. I want to go & pick these out in person, so online ordering doesn't work for me this time. Thanks again...........

I found the cheapest place to buy the knives was the hardware store in Skagway. I might have caught an "End of the Season" sale... The Post Office was just down the street. I shipped several knives in one box plus a bunch of tees. (A word of warning though, the Tees arrive smelling a little fishy) :p

All the cruise lines confiscate them as you board the ship and return them to you as you leave. I believe that they can be put in the checked luggage. but it is just so much easier to ship them home.

This is not an accurate statement. Some cruise lines do hold them others don't, such a blanket statement is incorrect.

I purchased a couple of them during my shopping day in Ketchikan. I'm pretty sure they were from the Ulu Factory in Anchorage. I know they were made in Alaska because I looked for the sticker.

I got it half price by using a coupon in the book they were handing out on the pier in Seattle as we were boarding the ship.

This was in 2010 so not sure if the coupon exists this year.

Buyer Beware is accurate.

Many of the "coupons" offer them for as low as $3.00. You know at that price that they are made in China; and they are.:mad:

Look for the Alaska sticker (polar bear, etc.) Sometimes people put them on these responses. I'm not that tech-savvy!

Mugs, jewelry..............the whole array can come from China.

Alaska has excellent products and you ARE in Alaska.

Also, remember that vendors have just a few months in which to make their money (ie: tourist season).

One of my favorite Book Stores is down near the Pioneer Home in Sitka; they have wonderful books about AK as well as being well rounded with all types of books.:)

I am one who searches for the little sign in the front window that might say "Alaska Owner" or something like that.

Thanks for the online info regarding the Ulu Knives!

I just bought one in Ketchikan, it is moose antler, but he had lots and lots of different mediums for the handles, weights, etc. I bought it on Creekstreet, and the store featured mostly Alaska made items. Mine is made by an Alaskan native, in Alaska and is stamped accordingly.... It was $60

ETA: Ours was not confiscated by the cruiseline (Star Princess), and we also had purchased a hand scrimshawed pocket knife that also was not taken.

I also shop with Alaska owners and do ask and listen for the right answers.

As I have family members who have in the past made items to be sold in shops (sweaters, carvings etc) I am very sensitive about this issue of Alaska made stuff.

It is buyer beware x 3!

Buyer Beware is accurate.

Many of the "coupons" offer them for as low as $3.00. You know at that price that they are made in China; and they are.:mad:

Look for the Alaska sticker (polar bear, etc.) Sometimes people put them on these responses. I'm not that tech-savvy!

Mugs, jewelry..............the whole array can come from China.

Alaska has excellent products and you ARE in Alaska.

Also, remember that vendors have just a few months in which to make their money (ie: tourist season).

One of my favorite Book Stores is down near the Pioneer Home in Sitka; they have wonderful books about AK as well as being well rounded with all types of books.:)

I am one who searches for the little sign in the front window that might say "Alaska Owner" or something like that.

Thanks for the online info regarding the Ulu Knives!

So true! I came across quite a bit of cheap Chinese stuff. In fact, most of what was in some stores was from China. That's why you have to read your packaging, see if it was "Made in China" or has the "Made in Alaska" logo.

Now that I'm home I can confirm the Ulu's I bought were originally from the Ulu Factory in Anchorage, so you don't necessarily have to go there to get them. They were originally $39.99, marked down to $29.99, and like I said, I had a 50% off coupon.

I stand by my suggestion to check for coupons if you are going to shop in Alaska. They are not all only for made in China goods!

Ulu.jpg

MadeinAlaska.jpg

Thanks for posting that photo information. It is very valuable so that folks can see what the real stuff looks like, logo and all.

You got a very good deal on the price. That set with the cutting board is typically much more costly.

So true! I came across quite a bit of cheap Chinese stuff. In fact, most of what was in some stores was from China. That's why you have to read your packaging, see if it was "Made in China" or has the "Made in Alaska" logo.

Now that I'm home I can confirm the Ulu's I bought were originally from the Ulu Factory in Anchorage, so you don't necessarily have to go there to get them. They were originally $39.99, marked down to $29.99, and like I said, I had a 50% off coupon.

I stand by my suggestion to check for coupons if you are going to shop in Alaska. They are not all only for made in China goods!

Ulu.jpg

MadeinAlaska.jpg

:D thanks too for posting that pic! Now I know what the logo looks like!

Archived