Must-have-beach-products

markser

MSNBC call these must-have-beach-products. A few seem like they'd be useful on a PG cruise. Others would take up too much space or weigh to much. However, there are some interesting ones.

I wondered how many of you experienced cruisers think the beach "blanket" would be worth the weight and space (and cost), since PG provides beach towels we can take on excursions. JDECHTER liked his. I was doing research based on his mentioning it in his recent review when I found this list.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43158788/ns/today-travel/t/must-have-beach-products/

I dont use any of those products. I think in FP you would really need a very strong Sunscreen and the water shoes. Some people like the floating mats for Motu Mahana. I bought a small and convenient floatation belt after I saw another PG traveler Molokai Chuck's wife use one.

I like the blanket though and may buy it for use on the camino. Wouldnt worry about it on the PG. Motu Mahana has chairs and you can use your towels to sit in the sand on the BBMotu.

I thought I read that PG provide some form of flotation device? My girlfriend prefers to have one when snorkeling.

If PG doesn't provide them, Emdee, where did you get yours?

Thanks for your continued input.

Hi Markser,

They do have a floatation vests on the PG. My secret is that I dont snorkel and swim but I love the water. Sometimes I get a bit freaked if the waves are big so DH bought it for me to carry around to the caribbean especially. The Lagoons in FP are soooo calm they dont scare me, usually!

I bought a high quality reef shoe and I'm so happy I did. I've had them for about 5 trips and I'm sure they will last me anotyher 10. Having a sturdy but comfy water shoe is nice. Why spend $10K or more for youre big trip and then have sore feet as you will be in the water a whole lot.

I've used 100% deet, didn't work any better then the vanilla with deet from www.buggspray.com

The difference is deet can smell bad ......... vanilla with deet does not.

After 18 trips and counting to FP I've tried most things and I have a pretty good idea what works the best or lets say what works the best with the least amount of negatives.

• 3 weeks later...

omg, i bought 2 bottles of SPF 40 and a bottle of SPF 30! should i exchange them for a stronger one? didnt realized i need stronger sunscreen for FP cuz SPF 30 was what i used when i went to Hawaii... :eek:

It is not just that the sun is stronger it is that in the southern hemisphere there is a hole in the ozone so protection in other areas of the world is not the same here.

Even if you tan normally it does not apply always to these areas same as in Australia and New Zealand.

For the same reason (hole in ozone) you should have sunglasses that wrap around the sides a little bit so the UV rays can't reach your eyes from the sides. Did a lot of research on this for our trip to New Zealand last year.

yeah i live in the GTA area... ;)

i can imagine the heat though cuz i spent most of my childhood in Asia... just didnt realized the sun down there due to the ozone issue..

BTW there is a board for T.O ppl here?

Archived