Question about when to book

HorrorFan

I've cruised a few times on RCI but am now tentativelty planning my first Carnival cruise for next April from New Orleans.

I usually book and make all arrangements myself with RCI, rather than through a website or TA.

I know the policies about price drops, etc for Royal Caribbean but know nothing about Carnival.

Anyone have any suggestions or tips on how/when is the best time to book? Any advantages to booking yourself over a TA, etc?.

Thanks

I was looking at a certain cruise last week.

Was waiting for my refund back from Princess.

same cruise less then a week later is now 120 more then it was last week.

I use an agent.

\There are many pricing that you need to be be aware of.

Well since it is your first carnival=-- past guest rate does not apply,.

Early saver rate is by far the cheapest but it comes with penalties. But it also gives you price protection up til sailing.. if the price comes down you get it back--

but there is no changes to be made. you can not down grade. you can not change a person. you cannot cancel. (well you can do all the above for a cost.

if you book early saver rate-- and need to cancel- it will cost you 50 bucks and they hold 200 for your next cruise. (with a year iA think it is)

In 16 cruises only 2 ever came down in price.

Because of the different pricing-- I would use a ta to explain it all to you

If you are going to book ES rate, if you go thru a TA you give up control of your booking. If you book direct, you can fill out the price drop form yourself any time of the day yourself which is a big plus in my book.

My Carnival PVP is great. Ive had issues booking RCL so I really value my PVP as the best of the best and often say I wish she could book RCL too.

We have always done our own booking online...If I ever have questions, I just call the 1-800 number.

We also always book early saver to get the lowest possible guaranteed price....but as Serene said...if you need to cancel, there are penalties.

Another advantage to booking early is most people prefer a specific cabin.....booking early, your chances of getting it is a lot better..;)

Archived