Air flight question from Chicago to cruise out of Vancouver

sallywingate

We are on an Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver in July on the Millie. We just had a change in our flight schedule which will take us from Cincinnati to Chicago then on to Vancouver. Our Chicago to Vancouver layover is about 40 minutes but it is in the same terminal - United. My question: will we have to transfer to the International section of the airport or do you think that we will be able to fly out of the regular terminal? We were told by United that we would not have to pick up our luggage in Chicago. We will meet our luggage in Vancouver which makes believe that we will not fly out of the International terminal. Not certain about all of this considering the layover is fairly short.

Thanks for any helpful information!!

In my experience at O'Hare, the international terminal is used primarily for flights coming into the country, as that's where the customs and immigration officers are. I would be almost positive that your outgoing flight to Vancouver would be from United's main terminal, the same terminal at which you arrived.

If your return flight from Vancouver is also through Chicago, then you may arrive at the international terminal and would have to retrieve luggage before continuing on to Cincinnati, probably from United's main terminal. But I am not sure, as O'Hare is my "home" airport and I have never made connections there.

Have a great cruise.

Most large Canadian airports have pre-clearance (i.e. you go through U.S. customs while still in Canada). As a result, most flights to/from U.S. and Canada are via U.S. "domestic" terminals.

You will almost certainly check in your luggage in Cincinatti and pick it up in Vancouver airport where you clear Canadian immigration. You will go through U.S. immigration before getting on the ship in Vancouver and back through Canadian when you get off. Go through U.S. immigration in Vancover airport and go through any domestic connection back to Cincinatti.

You may have to run from one concourse to another. I don't think you use the International Terminal. I never try to schedule anything under 60 minutes at ORD and two hours+/- for an International flight to Europe. If your flight is on time or no more than 15-20 minutes late you should be fine.

We have done this many times since we fly United quite a bit. You do not clear customs till you arrive in Vancouver. You will just have to go from your arrival gate to your departure gate in Chicago and hopefully they will be in the same terminal. We have often used the B concourse when flying from Chicago to Vancouver. It's about a 4.5 hour flight and Chicago is 2 hours ahead of Vancouver. I hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise.

By the way, there is a train from Vancouver airport to Canada Place, if you want to save a bit of money and can handle your luggage on the train.

We are on an Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver in July on the Millie. We just had a change in our flight schedule which will take us from Cincinnati to Chicago then on to Vancouver. Our Chicago to Vancouver layover is about 40 minutes but it is in the same terminal - United. My question: will we have to transfer to the International section of the airport or do you think that we will be able to fly out of the regular terminal? We were told by United that we would not have to pick up our luggage in Chicago. We will meet our luggage in Vancouver which makes believe that we will not fly out of the International terminal. Not certain about all of this considering the layover is fairly short.

Thanks for any helpful information!!

Here's the info for tomorrow...

UA 988 CVG 0739-0801 ORD arr Gate C24

UA 102 ORD 0802-1029 YVR dep Gate B7

So you'll need to get from C24 - B7 (and that looks like a 23 minute connection YIKES). I'll leave that for the ORD experts to tell you how easy/hard that might be

If you are worried about the shorter connection time in Chicago, is there an earlier flight you could take which would give you more time at ORD? Often when airlines change a schedule they will waive the fee they usually charge for changing your flight arrangements and you would be able to have more time in Chicago -- call United to ask if they would do that for no extra charge.

I live in the Chicago area and fly out of O'Hare multiple times each year. I am not sure I am reading your notes correctly, but if you have a 23 minute connection at O'Hare and are going between B gates and C gates I wish you luck as you will definitely need it! You are also going to be facing rain in Chicago. O'Hare is notorious for delayed flights when it rains. If you arrive on time, that could work to your advantage. But with a 23 minute connection, if you have any options for an earlier flight I would seriously consider them.

You should be ok with a 40 minute connection as you mentioned in your first post as long as you walk at an average speed. United uses gates in the B & C concourse in Terminal 1. These are connected by a fairly long tunnel which has a moving sidewalk in it.

United also uses gates in Terminal 2. If your flight comes into Terminal 2 and your connection is in the C concourse, you have to walk to terminal 1 and then go through the tunnel. It is a long hike.

If going between Terminal 2 and Terminal 1, do NOT exit security. Follow the signs to Terminal 1. It is well marked. If you exit security, you may have a very long line getting back in.

Archived