Bow in or Bow out at OPT Sydney

A consideration for booking port or starboard if you are sailing from the OPT at Circular Quay could be whether you get a view of the Opera House from your balcony, window or porthole (assuming you get onboard early enough). Some ships tie up with their bow in towards the Quay and their stern out towards the bridge - others do the opposite. What has been your experience - bow in or bow out?

Colleen

Whatever ship and whatever way they dock the starboard side is always to the Opera House when they leave the harbour.

If nose, sorry, bow in, they usually reverse, sorry, go astern and appear to be heading for Luna Park, then go ahead to port.

That is unless the "skipper" and the "pilot" decide to reverse all the way down the harbour for fun.

LOL. Can you imagine.

Whatever ship and whatever way they dock the starboard side is always to the Opera House when they leave the harbour.

If nose, sorry, bow in, they usually reverse, sorry, go astern and appear to be heading for Luna Park, then go ahead to port.

That is unless the "skipper" and the "pilot" decide to reverse all the way down the harbour for fun.

LOL. Can you imagine.

Thanks. Better reversing that way than back into the bridge!

I do try and get starboard for sailing from Barrangaroo - although last time booked too late and discovered the lovely soft pastl light sailing back in just after dawn with the city spread out before us. This time we are sailing from OPT and I had he thought that drinks on the balcony in the afternoon gazing out on the house and the ferries would be a different pleasure! From other replies there is hope we will nose/bow in!

Colleen

LOL. Can you imagine.

When we did the short trip on QM2 over to Auckland, we were docked at Garden Island and had to back out into the harbour .

He backed all the way up to the Opera House to give everyone a good look... .:eek:...That was fun.

Our cabin will be port side coming into the harbour on the Spirit for the first time.

I'd imagine that we will dock bow in so we'll get a good look from the balcony but i've seen our harbour many times so nothing too spectacular except for the fact that we'll be home after cruising for 17 days

I do believe the Voyager of the Seas will be docking stern first into Circular Quay due to provisions loading access but all the other "regulars" are bow first so....... unless your on the Voyager

Archived