Air questions, Miami - Barcelona

I have just booked my first Oceania cruise finally, a crossing, after 12 years of cruising on Regent.

Despite the thread entitled "This Wiil Be Our Last Time On Oceania Air", which has lots of useful information, and knowing the ropes generally on the subject of cruiseline air, I thought I'd ask some questions.

I winter in Florida, so it's likely I will be taking air one way from MIA to BCN, although we could end up flying from Toronto, you never know. But I'm assuming Miami.

I've been poking around to see how to get to Barcelona. I can't see a way of doing this in anything resembling Premium Economy, nor for any kind of reasonable price, so Oceania Air will almost certainly win out, and we will have to fly Coach--good thing it's only one way! (Unless O comes up with discounted business fares next year.)

What's the likely carrier/route that Oceania would choose for us on that route? I see that AA has a non-stop flight, but other airlines may too. Would we have to pay extra for the non-stop flight? We certainly will be deviating, going early, and have no problem paying that fee, but how much extra would we be likely to pay for the non-stop?

I have little experience with current US airlines, and no hope of upgrading with points (although I am Star Alliance so would welcome collecting points with one of their members.)

And lastly, how bad is American Airlines these days?

I have just booked my first Oceania cruise finally, a crossing, after 12 years of cruising on Regent.

Despite the thread entitled "This Wiil Be Our Last Time On Oceania Air", which has lots of useful information, and knowing the ropes generally on the subject of cruiseline air, I thought I'd ask some questions.

I winter in Florida, so it's likely I will be taking air one way from MIA to BCN, although we could end up flying from Toronto, you never know. But I'm assuming Miami.

I've been poking around to see how to get to Barcelona. I can't see a way of doing this in anything resembling Premium Economy, nor for any kind of reasonable price, so Oceania Air will almost certainly win out, and we will have to fly Coach--good thing it's only one way! (Unless O comes up with discounted business fares next year.)

What's the likely carrier/route that Oceania would choose for us on that route? I see that AA has a non-stop flight, but other airlines may too. Would we have to pay extra for the non-stop flight? We certainly will be deviating, going early, and have no problem paying that fee, but how much extra would we be likely to pay for the non-stop?

I have little experience with current US airlines, and no hope of upgrading with points (although I am Star Alliance so would welcome collecting points with one of their members.)

And lastly, how bad is American Airlines these days?

Since you are going to deviate anyway (and will be paying the fee associated with that) I would suggest that you pick out (and price) the flights that you would pick if Oceania were not involved, and then request that routing from the Oceania Air Dept.

They will work out a price and come back to you with an offer.

Based on the terms of that offer, you may either accept it or decline it.

Remember that you won't be charged for the deviation until you and Oceania agree on route and price, so you will never be in the position of being forced to accept flights that you don't love.

Having priced the flights when you did your research, you will know what YOUR bottom line would be if you booked it privately, so the Oceania Offer will either make sense for you financially or not; but it is ALWAYS a good idea to let them have a go at it, because SOMETIMES their prices can astound you.

We all know how disparate Airline Fares can be.

Thanks, this is a long way off, of course. But part of the problem is when I even try to price-out one-way flights in November 2012, I come up with mostly astronomical prices. Don't quite understand it--I thought that the one-way thing, where one-way fares were more expensive than return fares, was obsolete. But I'm seeing completely crazy numbers.

I'm thinking too, having read about you and Don's flights, that if I got O to route us through New York, then perhaps we could find a carrier who had some kind of Premium Economy that would be affordable. Would also prefer a stopover, if one is necessary, to be on this side of the pond.

Thanks, this is a long way off, of course. But part of the problem is when I even try to price-out one-way flights in November 2012, I come up with mostly astronomical prices. Don't quite understand it--I thought that the one-way thing, where one-way fares were more expensive than return fares, was obsolete. But I'm seeing completely crazy numbers.

I think you are over thinking the air flights

Unless you are going to be staying in Florida I would fly from/to YYZ ;)

Yes... OW are usually more $$

Do you mean a connection or a stopover?

Wendy, the numbers are so completely crazy on one-way flights that some people book a round trip for less and simply ignore the other direction. I think there are penalties if the airline suspects you did that on purpose, so I've never tried it. One couple I know is cruising Miami to Barcelona in April (the one I've booked) and Barcelona to Miami in November (the one you've booked), so they reserved a round trip from Barcelona to Barcelona and will use the first part (Barcelona to Miami) in April ande the second part in November.

If you're starting from your Florida address, talk to your travel agent about letting Oceania book the air in just one direction. Drive to Miami and fly to Barcelona, then cruise back to Miami and drive back to Dunedin. You will get half of the air credit and a cheap flight, probably Barcelona to Paris and direct Paris to Miami (that's how they did it, in reverse, the last couple of times I flew to Barcelona). If I remember correctly, they used Air France once and Delta once for those flights. I can recommend a parking place at a motel near the airport for $4/day with a shuttle every 20 minutes. They have a long term deal that credits one day in 7 free -- I just parked there for 23 days for $94. You park yourself, lock up the car and take the keys -- they don't move anything and there is little risk of damage.

The last time I looked, American Airlines had one-way fares that were roughly half of a round trip. I have some AA miles that I hope to use to get home from Barcelona next April and get the full air credit from Oceania, but if that doesn't work out I'll take the half credit and let Oceania get me home. Living within a couple of hours or so of Miami has its benefits.

The airline stuff is nutso. There was one flight I was looking at from Rome to Miami, that was cheaper to stay on the plane in Miami and go on to Orlando than it was to get off the plane in Miami. Go figure.

Wendy, the numbers are so completely crazy on one-way flights that some people book a round trip for less and simply ignore the other direction. I think there are penalties if the airline suspects you did that on purpose, so I've never tried it. One couple I know is cruising Miami to Barcelona in April (the one I've booked) and Barcelona to Miami in November (the one you've booked), so they reserved a round trip from Barcelona to Barcelona and will use the first part (Barcelona to Miami) in April ande the second part in November.

If you're starting from your Florida address, talk to your travel agent about letting Oceania book the air in just one direction. Drive to Miami and fly to Barcelona, then cruise back to Miami and drive back to Dunedin. You will get half of the air credit and a cheap flight, probably Barcelona to Paris and direct Paris to Miami (that's how they did it, in reverse, the last couple of times I flew to Barcelona). If I remember correctly, they used Air France once and Delta once for those flights.

The last time I looked, American Airlines had one-way fares that were roughly half of a round trip. I have some AA miles that I hope to use to get home from Barcelona next April and get the full air credit from Oceania, but if that doesn't work out I'll take the half credit and let Oceania get me home. Living within a couple of hours or so of Miami has its benefits.

The airline stuff is nutso. There was one flight I was looking at from Rome to Miami, that was cheaper to stay on the plane in Miami and go on to Orlando than it was to get off the plane in Miami. Go figure.

There was one flight I was looking at from Rome to Miami, that was cheaper to stay on the plane in Miami and go on to Orlando than it was to get off the plane in Miami.

Interesting anecdote, but reveals an obsessive compulsive need to over-think things. Poor Betsy :rolleyes:

If your cruise is in November 2013, it's a little early for final air schedules.

Most of the carriers work about 360 days in advance.

I am no expert on airline pricing, but after 2 million miles i have learned a few things. Airfare prices are kind of like a bell curve (remember, from school test grading??)

18 or 19 months out, the airlines figure that if you are looking to book a flight that far in advance, they are going to charge you a premium...thinking that if you really, really need to go somewhere on specific dates that far in advance, they will get a high price for your ticket.

3-4-5-6 months out, the serious bargain shopping begins, when the airlines try fare sales to fill their planes.

Then, as departure day gets closer, fares go back up.

Now, I didn't look up your specific flight, but if you are flying around Thanksgiving, fares are higher at the holidays...although fares on Thanksgiving Day itself can be much lower...it's usually based on supply and demand.

I would say wait a few months and look ar airfare prices again....

Hopefully this helps

If your cruise is in November 2013, it's a little early for final air schedules.

Most of the carriers work about 360 days in advance.

I would say wait a few months and look ar airfare prices again....

Thanks, good advice. I know that it's much too early, I'm just blueskying right now, doing what-ifs, since I'm not familiar with Oceania or with US carriers. Our dates don't coincide with Thanksgiving, thankfully.

Don, thanks for the good advice and reassurance--I had first assumed we would drive to Miami, then thought why not have Oceania fly us from Tampa. But if we can get half an air credit for one-way, driving would definitely be cheaper.

One of the reasons I have been obsessing about this is that we hate Coach over the pond, and I'd love to find a strategy that would give us some kind of upgrade to premium economy.

I'll just file all this away for now and get on with my life!

Thanks, good advice. I know that it's much too early, I'm just blueskying right now, doing what-ifs, since I'm not familiar with Oceania or with US carriers. Our dates don't coincide with Thanksgiving, thankfully.

If you want to play the "WHAT IF" game check flights at

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/search.htm?session=33addc24-62c2-46a8-83f4-86628c0b1551

Then go to Yapta.com & monitor the one you like

Flight are usually out around the 330 day mark

You can also check deviations with Oceania around the 270 day mark

I agree with Don though on this one use the Oceania air for a one way

I know KLM lets you upgrade to economy comfort seat @ 90 days out but have only used them from YYZ

You have lots of time to check the rules for upgrading on the other carriers :D

Wendy,

We are booked on the BCN to Miami crossing in November and have Oceania air. Because we are coming from Phoenix, we are taking a flight to Miami and from Miami we are booked on AA direct to BCN. (We are coming in the day before and staying at a hotel in BCN).

You don't have to accept the first suggestion of Oceania's air department, you know.

Wendy,

We are booked on the BCN to Miami crossing in November and have Oceania air. Because we are coming from Phoenix, we are taking a flight to Miami and from Miami we are booked on AA direct to BCN. (We are coming in the day before and staying at a hotel in BCN).

You don't have to accept the first suggestion of Oceania's air department, you know.

Thanks, that's good to know. My TA's first advice was not to use Oceania Air, but I don't think I have a choice in this case.

LHT28, I think the whole thing would be somewhat easier from YYZ for sure!

Wendy - Starting June 7 this year Delta is adding Economy Comfort Class to all their 2 class planes worldwide. This may be an option for you, although I haven't checked to see if they fly out of Miami. We flew them last year on our TA back from BCN but came through Atlanta. May be something to explore. Joanna

Wendy - Starting June 7 this year Delta is adding Economy Comfort Class to all their 2 class planes worldwide. This may be an option for you, although I haven't checked to see if they fly out of Miami. We flew them last year on our TA back from BCN but came through Atlanta. May be something to explore. Joanna

Thanks Joanna. It seems like more and more of the airlines are doing this, good to know about Delta.

Thank goodness--I love flying Business but can rarely justify the expense.

We've managed to fly across the pond twice with Regent's low-cost upgrades, and did Alaska on points in Biz, but that well has run dry!

No sign of American Airlines adding this yet I guess. I see that United Airlines does this route through Newark. At least I'd get some Star Alliance points.

Thanks Joanna. It seems like more and more of the airlines are doing this, good to know about Delta.

Thank goodness--I love flying Business but can rarely justify the expense.

We've managed to fly across the pond twice with Regent's low-cost upgrades, and did Alaska on points in Biz, but that well has run dry!

No sign of American Airlines adding this yet I guess. I see that United Airlines does this route through Newark. At least I'd get some Star Alliance points.

Wendy,

It's quite easy to collect a number of UA miles for reward tickets.

We just recently applied for MP Explorer cards (one for each of us) and we got 55K UA miles each (50K for first user + 5K for second user).

In addition to that, I use my Chase Sapphire card (50K UR points for opening) that gives you 2 points/$ spent on food and travel (big part of my spending). These UR points can be converted to UA miles (and used on any *A airline) or even BA, Hyatt, Marriott, etc

You only need 50K each for a one way business class NA to Europe award - it's that easy!

We have redeemed over 3 MM with AA (or OW) over the years - ALL obtained on various promotions, less than 5% for actually flying on AA.

It's all a game that the airlines and banks want you to play (and I happily play along and we fly business class on all long haul flights for free) :)

We took a deviation and will be on the AA flight from Miami to Barcelona and on Tap from Lisbon to Miami- both are the only nonstop flights they are not part of the same air alliance so it would have been a fortune to book on our own. In addition to the deviation, it was another $100 a person- well worth it, in my opinion. Once Oceania issues the ticket, you can go online and, if available get the emergency exit seats on AA for $44 a person. They are all gone for my departure, but we are wait listed with the airline for business class upgrade- 25000 points each way and $350 each. Don't know if we will get it, but nonstops are great.

Wendy,

We just recently applied for MP Explorer cards (one for each of us) and we got 55K UA miles each (50K for first user + 5K for second user).

In addition to that, I use my Chase Sapphire card (50K UR points for opening) that gives you 2 points/$ spent on food and travel (big part of my spending). These UR points can be converted to UA miles (and used on any *A airline) or even BA, Hyatt, Marriott, etc

You only need 50K each for a one way business class NA to Europe award - it's that easy!

We have redeemed over 3 MM with AA (or OW) over the years - ALL obtained on various promotions, less than 5% for actually flying on AA.

It's all a game that the airlines and banks want you to play (and I happily play along and we fly business class on all long haul flights for free) :)

Paul,

Thanks for the hints. I'm going to explore. Right now we primarily use our chaes UA visas but I'm all for getting more points, and flexible ones.

Joanna

Wendy,

Paul,

Thanks for the hints. I'm going to explore. Right now we primarily use our Chase UA Visas but I'm all for getting more points, and flexible ones.

Joanna

Paul,

Thanks for the hints. I'm going to explore. Right now we primarily use our Chase UA Visas but I'm all for getting more points, and flexible ones.

Joanna

Joanna,

You are welcome.

Note that I got the MP Explorer 50K miles despite the fact that I already had a Chase UA Visa AND a Chase OnePass (CO) card - both which I will cancel soon. That's 50K miles with each card X2 (for each of us) = 300K CO/UA miles over the last 1 1/2 years :)

BTW, we did much better with AA as Citi had offered 75K for each card (they offered 3 cards - Visa, Amex and business Visa). Chase had offered 100K BA miles in the past as well. I was like a kid in a candy store :D

If you need help, e mail me.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thinking about the whole FF thing, and Star Alliance. If I flew UA to Barcelona from Miami, through Newark, let's say, I would want to get Aeroplan points (AC), not UA points. So I don't think having a UA credit card collecting UA points would help me much, if my primary affiliation continues to be Air Canada.

Just thinking about the whole FF thing, and Star Alliance. If I flew UA to Barcelona from Miami, through Newark, let's say, I would want to get Aeroplan points (AC), not UA points. So I don't think having a UA credit card collecting UA points would help me much, if my primary affiliation continues to be Air Canada.

Well, I don't know too much - in fact I know very little about Aeroplan. But just getting 2 MP Explorer cards (one for each of you) would give you up to 55K UA miles/pp and you could use these on UA or AC - or vice versa - use your Aeroplan points on UA. If you purchase a ticket on UA to fly to Barcelona, you can choose to put these miles into your UA or your AC FF plan (AFAIK) - your choice.

The big deal about the MP Explorer card is the opening bonus - enough for a one way business class award US to Europe. If Aeroplan can offer you that - use them.

Well, I don't know too much - in fact I know very little about Aeroplan. But just getting 2 MP Explorer cards (one for each of you) would give you up to 55K UA miles/pp and you could use these on UA or AC - or vice versa - use your Aeroplan points on UA. If you purchase a ticket on UA to fly to Barcelona, you can choose to put these miles into your UA or your AC FF plan (AFAIK) - your choice.

The big deal about the MP Explorer card is the opening bonus - enough for a one way business class award US to Europe. If Aeroplan can offer you that - use them.

Right, I see. What does "MP" stand for? (Never mind, it's Chase MileagePlus. Will look into.)

The nasty thing about Aeroplan is you can't buy a Business Upgrade. You can buy a biz reward, but you can't upgrade a coach ticket with points.

Archived