My trip report: Serenade 12-night Western Med (Venice) with many pictures

Thanks for doing the review, we were in Barcelona two years ago for a cruise and it brings back memories. I understand about not tipping the porter in that port. We took a cab and when we unloaded from the cab, the porter checked to see the bags had tags then put them on a cart with a lot of other bags and he was gone. Never even had the chance to tip. :p

Bill

Reading I am reading your review with great anticipation of our Sept 2nd cruise. We are staying one night pre and post cruise. Our post-cruise hotel is the Hotel Jazz - so, the info was helpful.

We did a twelve night Med cruise in 2010, so a lot of this is familiar. However, we did not leave any time to tour Barcelona, before. This time we look forward to some of those sites.

Edited by rascalious

We are on Serenade on October 3 and appreciate all the details and information that you are providing. We will be flying in the day before and flying out the day after the cruise. We have never been to Barcelona before and looking forward to the cruise and and our itinerary. We haven't made hotel reservations yet and are trying to decide whether to stay at the same hotel pre and post cruise. We won't have a lot of time in Barcelona since we have a morning flight the day after the cruise. We will only have the day we arrive (we arrive about 10am) and the morning of the cruise.

Any suggestions are appreciated. We also appreciate the time, details, effort and information you are providing!:)

Edited by shayna's mimi

We are on Serenade on October 3 and appreciate all the details and information that you are providing. We will be flying in the day before and flying out the day after the cruise. We have never been to Barcelona before and looking forward to the cruise and and our itinerary. We haven't made hotel reservations yet and are trying to decide whether to stay at the same hotel pre and post cruise. We won't have a lot of time in Barcelona since we have a morning flight the day after the cruise. We will only have the day we arrive (we arrive about 10am) and the morning of the cruise.

Any suggestions are appreciated. We also appreciate the time' date=' details, effort and information you are providing!:) [/size']

Won't you have the day you depart the ship, since you fly out the next day? We are doing the same and plan on a Barcelona Day Tour that picks us up at the ship and delivers us to our hotel (post-cruise)

Any suggestions are appreciated. We also appreciate the time' date=' details, effort and information you are providing!:) [/size']

I have to say that the Hotel Jazz is a great hotel for the price. But I would never consider walking from the hotel to the port shuttle. Its a very long walk - especially dragging luggage. A taxi will cost about 20 Euro. Money well spent.

Edited by baggal
grammar

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. we are on the June 10th sailing, the same itinerary, so looking forward to reading the rest.

A question about Split. Did you use euro's there? or did you have to purchase some Kuna?

Sandra

We just returned from the same cruise as the OP. We stayed two nights pre-cruise at the Hotel Colon in the Gothic section of Barcelona. It was a very nice hotel, and a GREAT location for newbies to BCN. The hotel is located directly across the plaza from the Cathedral. His photo looks like it was taken right outside of the hotel's restaurant. Close to las Ramblas, shopping, great restaurants, a block from the Barcelona tour bus (double-decker...open top level). Truly a fabulous location.

We also spent one night post cruise at the Avenida Palace hotel, which is in a higher end shopping area (1 block away), with many great outdoor tapas restaurants, fun bars, also about 2 blocks from las Ramblas. The hotel has a very nice restaurant, and very elegant lobby and decor.

Hope this helps. Do a little research online, and I'm sure any of these three hotels (including the Hotel Jazz) will meet your needs. Above all, just go have fun. We really were impressed with Barcelona.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. we are on the June 10th sailing, the same itinerary, so looking forward to reading the rest.

A question about Split. Did you use euro's there? or did you have to purchase some Kuna?

Sandra

Some places had prices in both euros and kuna. Most however only used kuna. There were many exchange places around town. I looked around for a bit, decided that I did want to buy a few things, then exchanged a 20 euro note to cover my expenses ... the rate at the exchanges was about 7.5 kuna per euro with no fees, so not bad at all.

I was something like 26H ... it was the second-to-last row in the first section of the coach cabin. The seat was fine, though the aisle next to it probably wasn't the best in terms of proximity to the restrooms and people waiting in the aisle. Dinner was served on the way out (I think I had a pasta ... about what you'd expect on an airline). There were several full beverage services (wine/beer included, liquor at an up-charge) and more opportunities for water as well. A pillow, blanket, and headphones were all provided in seats upon boarding.

Good to know, as we're flying this same flight out of Atlanta in 2 1/2 weeks!

I have to say that the Hotel Jazz is a great hotel for the price. But I would never consider walking from the hotel to the port shuttle. Its a very long walk - especially dragging luggage. A taxi will cost about 20 Euro. Money well spent.

It was definitely a walk ... something I only did because I was alone and able. :)

I would consider a hotel closer to Pl. Catalunya than a hotel closer to the ship. If you are so inclined, you can take the Aerobus round trip from there for about 10 Euro. Hotels out nearest to the ship (such as the W) would be quite a distance from other sites. With minimal time, I'd stay closer to a metro station or an attraction you really wanted to see.

For someone named silentbob you sure have a gift for gab...even if it is just the written word. :)

Actually, I am enjoying every word...and that's coming from a fellow (how do I put this delicately?)...cheapskate. Thanks for all the great tips on how to be frugal on a Mediterranean cruise.

We'll be following in your footsteps next April.

Edited by schmoopie17

For someone named silentbob you sure have a gift for gab...even if it is just the written word. :)

Actually, I am enjoying every word...and that's coming from a fellow (how do I put this delicately?)...cheapskate. Thanks for all the great tips on how to be frugal on a Mediterranean cruise.

We'll be following in your footsteps next April.

I always love to read his trip reports.

Won't you have the day you depart the ship, since you fly out the next day? We are doing the same and plan on a Barcelona Day Tour that picks us up at the ship and delivers us to our hotel (post-cruise)

Yes, we do have the day the cruise ends to see as much as we can in Barcelona. We might arrange a tour to begin at the cruise port!

Some places had prices in both euros and kuna. Most however only used kuna. There were many exchange places around town. I looked around for a bit, decided that I did want to buy a few things, then exchanged a 20 euro note to cover my expenses ... the rate at the exchanges was about 7.5 kuna per euro with no fees, so not bad at all.

Thank you :)

I will go ahead and skip to talk about the ports as I'm guessing that is what most people will find useful/interesting. As fair warning, I'm not a huge fan of organized tours, so I did not do too many. I also kept my money security measures in effect, especially for Rome.

Cannes

As opposed to what I would consider a "traditional" schedule with a sea day on the first full day, the Serenade called on Cannes. I was very excited for this port when, about two weeks before the cruise, I realized that we would be visiting during the film festival ... I mean, other than a cruise, how else would a (cheap) mere mortal like me even sniff the area of Cannes during the festival? ;)

I did not plan any excursions for this port for a couple of reasons. First of all, they were all quite pricey. Secondly, my only previous European experience was 3 weeks in France, two of which was made up of a bus tour all around the country ... in other words, I did not feel compelled to see as much of France as possible. I did hear that the ship-sponsored tours were a huge pain for this particular time period as traffic through Cannes was horrible. For tours going to Monaco, this was compounded with slow/blocked traffic there as the roads were being prepped for the Grand Prix.

Getting off the ship in Cannes was a bit of pain as it is a tender port. Tender tickets were distributed in the morning for those wishing to go ashore, with priority of course going to those who had excursions through the ship. Suite and Diamond Plus guests were allowed to show their card in lieu of tender tickets. General tendering started at about 10 AM and ran through 5:30.

In the end, I got off at about 10:30 AM and found that the crowds for tendering weren't too bad. They were using a combination of one large, local tender and the lifeboat tenders carried by the ship. It was a dreary in Cannes promising rain, so I thankfully packed my umbrella. The tender took perhaps 15 minutes to get to shore once leaving, and we were dropped off in a marina area shared with ferries and guests from the Norwegian Epic.

Upon leaving the tender area, I hung a right along the coast, and this took me to the main Festival area. The crowds were large and excited. I can't say for sure that I saw any celebrities, but I talked to a few other passengers who did. The street-side cafes were all fairly full, however, and prices seemed a bit high (huge surprise). In the end, I walked along the shore to see the sights. I was also keeping an eye out for an ATM though I hadn't brought my card. There was one near the start of my walk that was broken. I eventually stopped at one of the many official boutiques for the festival and purchased a few souvenirs including the official poster. I was hesitant to use my credit card for purchases because those I watched using one had the European Chip/PIN cards. I decided just to use cash ... which was probably a better idea anyway ... though after my limited purchases, I really did need an ATM.

By this point it had started to rain, so I headed back to the ship with my purchases and to grab a quick lunch. This led to probably my most frustrating point of the day in that we sat in the tender, bobbing next to the ship, for about 30 minutes while the large tender was slowly loading. The tender's radio broadcasted that the tender was to depart as guests (us) were waiting, but the large tender was not sent away. Eventually, of course, we were able to dock and get back on the ship. I dropped my purchases in the room, grabbed my ATM card, grabbed lunch, and then headed back ashore. This time I cut away from the water and walked some of the interior city streets ... sightseeing and, again, looking for an ATM. I eventually found one and pulled some Euros out, then headed back to another store to buy some more souvenirs. By this time the rain had stopped, but it was still a fairly dreary day.

7320118802_b225737bc6.jpg

Rainy day in Cannes by cmong, on Flickr

Day 3: Livorno (Florence/Pisa)

During my limited planning, I went back and forth about what to do in Livorno. I had heard that Florence was the place to see, where as Pisa only had the tower, so I leaned in that direction. I was interested in taking the train and visiting Florence on my own, but this seemed more difficult in Livorno than other ports given that the train station is a few miles away, necessitating an expensive cab or public transportation.

In the end, I went very conservative ... it would be my very first day in Italy and I was not sure how I would handle exploring alone, so I booked the Florence Panoramic tour through the ship ($79). This included a bus to Florence (about 1.5 hours each way), with one scenic stop for pictures, two hours of free time in the city, the necessary stop at the "leather factory" for toilets and sales, and then a return to the ship. I had worried that the "on your own" tours (at a slightly higher cost) would give me too much time with 6-7 hours ... a silly fear in hindsight.

The tour met in the theater, and then we headed out to our bus. It was not full, so I was able to have a row of two to myself. We were joined by another couple, not on our tour, who evidently had missed theirs ... and can you guess who was late returning after our first stop? Ah ... the joys of cruiseline tours. I found the bus ride interesting as our guide gave facts and details about the area and also handed us maps of Florence with our meeting spot circled. When we actually got to Florence, the bus parked across the bridge from the city proper (which is where we were to meet back). We were walked over to Piazza Santa Croce by the tour guide and taken in to the Misuri leather store for access to toilets and for a leather/gold sales pitch.

I left the store, picked a street, and walked. With only a few hours, I did not really have any direction or desire to see one thing or another. Basically, I wondered ... then ended up back at the Piazza with about an hour left. I decided to grab lunch at Finisterrae, which is a restaurant right next to the church. I sat outside, though I guess there was very nice seating inside as well. Obviously, with this location, it was a tad pricey, and in the end I spent about 13 Euro for a good-sized pizza, bottle of water, and service. I found the food to be quite good, though, and I heard that sentiment from many people except for the pasta carbonara (which evidently did not resemble what was expected).

7320932600_742a966695.jpg

Piazza Santa Croce by cmong, on Flickr

After lunch, I headed back to where the bus was to pick us up. The tour guide was there waiting and most had made it back. Our names were checked off and, once everyone had returned (on time), the bus was called. We boarded and were taken to a leather factory on the edge of town that was fairly boring but also served as a bottled water and restroom stop. We then returned to the ship with the whole tour taking about 7 hours. In the end, I somewhat regret not taking a longer tour that would have given me more time in Florence, though we did hit rain on our return, so I'm not sure how much more I would have seen. Most people I talked to on the trip seemed to think that Florence was the city that they would return to on their own.

7320935376_824ab50a50.jpg

Statue in Florence by cmong, on Flickr

Hotel

I would also visit the department store Carrefour (on the top end of the Ramblas) as it sold groceries. This was a good place to buy water, soda, chocolate, or any other food item you might like.

Great information so far...thanks. My wife and I will be on this cruise on August 21. Here's a random question: in Carrefour, did you happen to notice if they had alcohol sales?

Also, as a HUGE film fan, I'm jealous you were in Cannes during the festival. True, it must have made the place much crazier than usual, but I would willingly have put up with it.