Freedom of the Seas Questions

This is my first post, so I apoligize if this is in the wrong place or something. So my family is booked on our first cruise are are very excited! We are going with a large family group and several of them have cruised before but live in other states so it's not "as easy" to share info & tips as I would like. I have been reading through the first timers board and already getting a lot of good info.

I'm not worried about "doing it all" as unless this trip is horrible, we fully intend to cruise again as there is several places I'd love to go and other cruise lines I want to try out. With that said, I have no ideal what to expect. Aside from any specific advice you can give us as first timers, I'd love specific feedback regarding...

1. Price Changes... We booked Nov 2011 for our Oct 2012 Crusie... if the price drops for our category, do we automatically get adjustments or only if we call or even then not at all? Does it matter if we have already paid in full or not (some of us have and some of us are still paying on the balance)

2. Checking in ... where can you find out how soon you can board the ship? we are going down to Florida a few days early and will be able to be at the ports as early as we can, and would love to get on board asap to check it out and hopefully miss some of the mass crowds that don't know you might be able to check in early. Is this unrealistic?

3. Soda packages ... my dh is a heavy soda drinker, but I don't drink soda at all and the kids will drink soda, but prefer iced tea. When the time comes, can we buy the soda package just for DH or does everyone in the cabin have to have it?

4. Airport Transfers - do we arrange these with a private company or the cruise line or what?

I have tons of questions, just cuz I love to research our vacations so I'm sure I'll think of more. Any other tips, Ideals you have I'm all ears! Thank you!

Welcome to the forum! You picked a great ship and you should have a great time, you already seem on top of things. Benefits from price changes are not automatic. If you do nothing you will be fine, but its possible the guy in the next identical cabin may have paid less! Check online like you were booking today and see where the prices are (not always easy) But if you call Customer service and say there has been a price drop what can you do for me? They will give you options. If its before your final payment you might get the price reduced. Afterwards, perhaps on board credit. You also might get moved to a better cabin. Prices can also go up. I haven't been on Freedom since she moved from Miami to Port Canaveral so I can't help you with the transfers issue.

As for the soda package, not everyone has to have it, but someone will come along and tell you that its not ok for one person to buy it and share, even though thats clearly not what you were asking ;) Buy it for everyone that wants it. While it may not be a great value, it is a convenience and I still have a couple of the souvenier cups I drink water from daily.

Finally, have a great cruise and many of us will be interested to hear about your experience when you get back. Oh, join the roll call group for your sailing, you will probably find lots of good info there and its not uncommon for people to announce they have found price drops for your cruise.

This is my first post, so I apoligize if this is in the wrong place or something. So my family is booked on our first cruise are are very excited! We are going with a large family group and several of them have cruised before but live in other states so it's not "as easy" to share info & tips as I would like. I have been reading through the first timers board and already getting a lot of good info.

I'm not worried about "doing it all" as unless this trip is horrible, we fully intend to cruise again as there is several places I'd love to go and other cruise lines I want to try out. With that said, I have no ideal what to expect. Aside from any specific advice you can give us as first timers, I'd love specific feedback regarding...

1. Price Changes... We booked Nov 2011 for our Oct 2012 Crusie... if the price drops for our category, do we automatically get adjustments or only if we call or even then not at all? Does it matter if we have already paid in full or not (some of us have and some of us are still paying on the balance) You will have to call for any price drop adjustments. They will not do them automatically. You can get price drops no matter if you have paid in full or not up until your final payment date. After final payment date, the only thing you can do is possibly upgrade.

2. Checking in ... where can you find out how soon you can board the ship? we are going down to Florida a few days early and will be able to be at the ports as early as we can, and would love to get on board asap to check it out and hopefully miss some of the mass crowds that don't know you might be able to check in early. Is this unrealistic? Freedom of the Seas will generally start boarding around 11 am or so. I usually get to Port Canaveral around 10:45 and have been on board by 11:30 or earlier on both cruises I have taken out of PC.

3. Soda packages ... my dh is a heavy soda drinker, but I don't drink soda at all and the kids will drink soda, but prefer iced tea. When the time comes, can we buy the soda package just for DH or does everyone in the cabin have to have it? Everyone in the cabin does not have to buy the soda package. Only your husband and it can be purchased in advance or bought on the ship on boarding day.

4. Airport Transfers - do we arrange these with a private company or the cruise line or what? I dont fly to Port canaveral but most people recommend a private company. Cocoa Beach Shuttle service is a good one that comes highly recommended.

I have tons of questions, just cuz I love to research our vacations so I'm sure I'll think of more. Any other tips, Ideals you have I'm all ears! Thank you!

Responses in red :) Freedom of the Seas is a LOVELY ship with a great crew! I cant imagine your vacation being horrible! Enjoy your cruise!

Welcome to the boards.

If you are flying into Orlando and spending a few days either there or in Port Canaveral/Cocoa Beach area, depending on how many people you have, you can rent a car. I think Avis, Hertz and Budget have drop off sites in Port Canaveral area and shuttles to the port. Check out the Florida Departure boards as there is at thread about PC and what is around that is full of information.

If you are flying into Melbourne (we've done this), you can get one of the local shuttle companies to pick you up/drop you off in the PC area. Our shuttle from the port to the airport was about $50 for two of us and they were great. I don't remember which one we used though. I can look it up when I get home.

Freedom is a great ship and the crew is fabulous. It was my wife and I's second cruise and we had a blast. Enjoy!

1. Price Changes... We booked Nov 2011 for our Oct 2012 Crusie... if the price drops for our category, do we automatically get adjustments or only if we call or even then not at all? Does it matter if we have already paid in full or not (some of us have and some of us are still paying on the balance)

...Don't know how much help I'll be on this but I do know there won't be any "automatic" adjustments. Also I believe that once final payment has occurred, the only compensation you may be able to receive if you see there's been a price drop is an upgrade.(someone out there can correct me on that if I'm mistaken)

2. Checking in ... where can you find out how soon you can board the ship? we are going down to Florida a few days early and will be able to be at the ports as early as we can, and would love to get on board asap to check it out and hopefully miss some of the mass crowds that don't know you might be able to check in early. Is this unrealistic?

...We usually get to the port around 12:30 although I aspire to try and get there earlier this October. I do know that typically people report gettin on the ship as early as 10:45 am.

3. Soda packages ... my dh is a heavy soda drinker, but I don't drink soda at all and the kids will drink soda, but prefer iced tea. When the time comes, can we buy the soda package just for DH or does everyone in the cabin have to have it?

...No everyone in you cabin does not have to have a soda package. My hubby always gets it and I don't as I prefer to drink unsweetened iced tea. The soda pkg is cheaper for the kids then for adults. Basically one has to drink at least 4 sodas a day to make it worth the money.

4. Airport Transfers - do we arrange these with a private company or the cruise line or what?

...You can do either.

...We've been on Freedom before and are going back on this October the28th. What date is your cruise?

Just want to clarify the price drop policy. Like Bill said above, it's up to you to check for a price drop and call whoever you booked with, and request the lower price. You can get your price reduced if the lower price is not limited to new bookings only, and it is before final payment date. It does not matter if you have paid in full, what matters is the final payment date. After final payment date, there are no price drops or on board credits.

Regarding port transfers in Port Canaveral, since you are arriving in Florida before the cruise, I'd recommend a one-way car rental with someone like Avis, Budget, Hertz, etc. These agencies all have offices near the port and will shuttle you to the ship for free after you return the vehicle.

Just got off Freedom of the Seas it was our 2nd time on her so I will be happy to answer any questioins I can.

Airport Transfers can be done thru RCC but we always use a private company. We have used Happy Limo. Sure it costs a little more but for our family its so worth it. Book a hotle by the port with a shuttle to the pier but try and get on the shuttle schedual early or you may have to wait. We were offered a 9:30 shuttle or a 12:30 shuttle. We took the 9:30 and waited until about 11:15 before we boarded. We were the first set to board as I have a broken foot.

We check all our luggage except 1 rolling bag with sunblock, medications and swimsuits. After we eat lunch we head up to the flowrider. It opens at 1:00 so my kids and flowride until about 3:00 or they are too tired to go any more.

I am the only one who buys the soda package cause I love my diet Coke. No need to buy it for the whole party. I buy it ahead so my card is preprinted and no sticker to rub off.

I have never found a decrease in price for our cruises but I think you can call your travel agent and get the better price if its before your final payment after that you might get a upgrade but don't hold your breath on that one.

If you are going to do specialty dinner do it on Day 3 or 4 they are the weakest nights MDR menus. Lobster is the 2nd formal night Friday.

If you want pictures on formal night be ready by 5 or slightly before. The lines are HUGE by 5:15.

Ask away any questions you have.

Just want to clarify the price drop policy. Like Bill said above, it's up to you to check for a price drop and call whoever you booked with, and request the lower price. You can get your price reduced if the lower price is not limited to new bookings only,

That's a good clarification. Always watch for that caveat in any ads, or email messages you get related to cruise specials.

Wow, some great advice already! Thanks so much! To the PP who asked we are on the 10/21 cruise.

related to a late Oct Sailing - where would I find out if those sailing are more prone to "storms" or not? Also, is there specific places on these boards or even outside websites to do some research on the various islands we are visiting?

Hey, Was wondering what week you are going on FOS in October? We also have a 9 year old son. We will be cruising the week of Oct. 7th for my parents 50th Anniversary. We have not been on the Freedom before, but my parents have many times. Should be a blast. My parents always board early. On the ship by 11 a.m. or so. Port Canaveral is one of the easiest to get to and embarkation runs very smooth. I live here in Orlando so if I can give you any info. about that, let me know!

Wow, some great advice already! Thanks so much! To the PP who asked we are on the 10/21 cruise.

related to a late Oct Sailing - where would I find out if those sailing are more prone to "storms" or not? Also, is there specific places on these boards or even outside websites to do some research on the various islands we are visiting?

October is still in hurricane season so storms are possible. Should there be one you could miss a port. I have sailed in Sep and Oct and not run into any storms that caused a missed port. It is the captains job to keep everyone safe so if that means missing a port I can always find something to do on Freedom. Check the port section here for info on your ports of call. Coco Cay is RCI private island and is a beach day with all the assorted beach activities. There is a bunch of things to do on both of your other stops. You will have to decided what is worth it to you.

There may be a good answer to where on these boards to talk about hurricane issues, but October can be a very active tropical storm/ hurricane season, but every year seems just a bit different since I started watching. The only time I cruised in November I watched a couple of websites up to 3 weeks ahead and was knowledgeable about all storms in the Atlantic at that time. All you can do is go and enjoy.

There are ports of call boards here

We typically do a 3-nighter on Monarch the week before your cruise (~10/14), and have missed out on Coco Cay twice (out of three tries) due to choppy seas. Both were clear sunny days, just wind coming out of the east that made the tenders impossible to board. However in more than five years, we've only had one Eastern itinerary re-routed due to tropical activity (hurricane Bill - August 2009). That was on a Disney ship, and our Eastern became a Western with great weather. The only month we haven't done an Eastern route is February, so your odds of a peaceful cruise are good.

Google is your friend. I know that's not a great answer, but any research I've done for my cruises in the past have been through here or through Googling what I want to find out more about.

I cruised in October the last time on Freedom in 2010 and it was a pretty uneventful cruise weather wise. If I remember correctly, we had one day at sea where the weather was a little dreary for a few hours, but the Captain drove around it and got us back into the good weather.

If there is a hurricane and it is near or in the path of any of the ports, RCCL will make a decision to change the ports/itin so that it is safe for all. This is not uncommon and has happened in the past.

You can also check for price drops without calling RCCL or your travel agent. All you need to do is go to the RCCL website and do a "mock" booking. Enter the ship, date, etc., of your present booking and follow it through until you get to where it shows the current price.

Compare this to your currently booked price; if it shows a lower price, call RCCL or your TA to request the lower price be applied to your booking - just as long as it's not a special deal or you're not past your final payment date, as another poster said.

I check the price of my upcoming cruise - on the Freedom - at least once a day and have already had two price reductions!

I've cruised twice before on the Freedom before and would be glad to answer any other questions you may have. When I was on the Freedom in October of last year, I was one of 14 family members cruising together from across the country. If you want some tips on coordinating such a group, let me know...

Archived