Muster Drill

kpgibbs

Bottom line, how often is there a cruise ship disaster? Like once every hundred years? I'm sure there are preparedness drills for getting struck by a meteor too. And you know what, I think I'm an intelligent enough guy. If something happens, I'll follow the other lemmings and probably figure it out. Yes, if I HAVE to go to the drill, I will. If anyone in a ship's uniform tells me I don't have to be, I won't. Sorry if that puts all your lives in danger... :insert another eyeroll here:

Happycruiser, You don't follow the emergency rules onboard, the dress code onboard nor the alcohol rules onboard and I guess there are many others you do not follow. You have also influenced (or tried to influence) many others to flout the rules.

In a real emergency (and unfortunately they do happen) if just one person listens to you and doesn't know what is going on and gets hurt it will effect me as I feel for all humanity. Let's just hope I don't need help from you or someone else who didn't attend muster.

Flouting the rules (all those listed above and others) does effect me as I have to put up with not only the lack of care you take but also the attitude that says this isn't special that pervades everything you don't take seriously. I don't want the cruise I take to cater to the lowest common denominator and if that requires setting standards and having rules so that everyone lives up to those standards then I am happy.

You say "I am on holiday" well so are the other 3,000 people you are on holiday with and it would be great if you respected that.

I was feeling all warm and glowy to your response to the $2 bills. : )

Happycruiser, You don't follow the emergency rules onboard, the dress code onboard nor the alcohol rules onboard and I guess there are many others you do not follow. You have also influenced (or tried to influence) many others to flout the rules.

In a real emergency (and unfortunately they do happen) if just one person listens to you and doesn't know what is going on and gets hurt it will effect me as I feel for all humanity. Let's just hope I don't need help from you or someone else who didn't attend muster.

Flouting the rules (all those listed above and others) does effect me as I have to put up with not only the lack of care you take but also the attitude that says this isn't special that pervades everything you don't take seriously. I don't want the cruise I take to cater to the lowest common denominator and if that requires setting standards and having rules so that everyone lives up to those standards then I am happy.

You say "I am on holiday" well so are the other 3,000 people you are on holiday with and it would be great if you respected that.

I was feeling all warm and glowy to your response to the $2 bills. : )

I'm going to respond to one last post in this thread since Ive already covered any possible comments.

The rules you refer to don't effect anyone but myself. I take full responsibility for my knowledge or lack of, any muster questions. I don't condone people missing muster instruction if they've never heard it before, since it is important but, when a person has heard the same thing dozens & dozens of times for the same class ship, it gets a little old. I can't believe you would expect help form anyone during a true emergency just because they attended a muster talk vs a person who did not.

As far as the other items you brought up - dress & alcohol, my choice of adhering to their suggestions does not affect you in the least. The "rules" I choose to ignore don't affect anyone other than my wife or myself.

I'm going to respond to one last post in this thread since Ive already covered any possible comments.

The rules you refer to don't effect anyone but myself. I take full responsibility for my knowledge or lack of, any muster questions. I don't condone people missing muster instruction if they've never heard it before, since it is important but, when a person has heard the same thing dozens & dozens of times for the same class ship, it gets a little old. I can't believe you would expect help form anyone during a true emergency just because they attended a muster talk vs a person who did not.

As far as the other items you brought up - dress & alcohol, my choice of adhering to their suggestions does not affect you in the least. The "rules" I choose to ignore don't affect anyone other than my wife or myself.

maybe if they kicked you off the ship for not attending the muster you could say to yourself i should have attended the muster

Sure they do. They affect my equity as a carnival shareholder.

Princess needs to enforce their liquor policies to maximize their

(onboard) revenue, as is their fiduciary duty as (part of) a

public company.

What I enjoy here so much is that people choose which rules should be

enforced.

For instance, what's the answer for someone who wants to smuggle

liquor on board to drink while they smoke on their balcony?

You need to follow SOME of the rules?

It just goes to show that there are all kinds of people that like to go on cruises, and for a variety of reasons.

There are those who lead by example and those that choose to follow the lead of others.

There are those that are considerate and respectful of others and those that believe that the earth rotates around them.

Which are you?

As I think someone has said before on this or other muster drill threads: if you go on a flight, you can't hide out in the restroom while the flight attendants explain the safety procedures. Even if you had been on another flight that day.

To say that you can pick and chose which "policies" you're going to follow is stupid, IMO. Because it can affect others. In this case, if you missed some visual detail given out that's new to the procedures...you can delay any evacuation that might have to occur. The odds that this could happen are low, but why risk your life or others?

Just this afternoon, I was in an express lane to buy some items...I went into the 20 or less, even though I probably could have sneaked into the 10 or less. The mother/daughter couple in front of me were doing the relay type of shopping, so that by the time they were at the cashier, they easily had 30 items. I said to the person in back of me, wow, I didn't know it was 20 per person, I thought it was 20 per cart. I felt like saying to these women, hey any preschooler can count better than you. But I didn't say anything to them. The cashier admitted to me at my turn that sometimes she will mention to a shopper to please use the right lane the next time.

So here's an example of some people who obviously didn't care that they were holding up other people who were following the rules. I try hard not to be this type of person, and I certainly wouldn't try to skip out on a muster drill, even if I ever get to the point that I've been on several cruises. In those cases, it's not just a matter of consideration, it's a case of safety.

if you go on a flight' date=' you can't hide out in the restroom while the flight attendants explain the safety procedures. Even if you had been on another flight that day.

[/quote']

Even if you had been on the same plane at its previous stop one hour earlier.

There are definitely places to sit but depending on your muster station, some had more places to sit than others. If you are in front or back of the ship you should be fine.

I know people that have a hard time standing will go early and sit before the muster even starts. If time isn't an issue, go early and you'll be fine.

Yes, I agree with Sox Fan... Go a bit early to get a good seat. The lounges are pleasant places to sit, so no problem. The "mustard" drill can be a nice experience, if approached with an upbeat attitude:)

Oh, and, Sox Fan... I'm a Sox Fan of the pale variety...

"Let's Go, White Sox! :-) :)

It just goes to show that there are all kinds of people that like to go on cruises, and for a variety of reasons.

There are those who lead by example and those that choose to follow the lead of others.

There are those that are considerate and respectful of others and those that believe that the earth rotates around them.

Which are you?

Since others have joined in this fray, I'll bite.

It's probably germane to note that the poster in question has mentioned, in another current thread, that folks who follow rules do so because of some ingrained organic brain function (defect?). From that, I inferred that he believes that choosing which rules to ignore is in some sense a virtue. Too bad Ayn Rand didn't start a cruise line.

(Oddly, though he figures he's heard the muster drill once too often, he has no problem saying, "It's okay to ignore the dress code" over and over and over and over and over again....)

Bottom line - the drill's a half hour out of my cruise. Big deal. Anyway, it's always fun trying to predict who'll put on their life jacket after being told not to. I wonder what those who skip the drill are doing instead with that precious time. I hope it at least involves alcohol and/or sex. Might as well be worth it.

Well of course they affect others - if Princess doesn't make enough on board revenue, up go the cruise fares. If Princess can't control your alcohol intake because you've snuck it on board and you become unruly, that affects my experience if you're in my vacinity. And if you don't dress properly for dinner, I have to look at you.

I do believe the number of passengers (who have sailed on the same ships multiple times) that do not attend muster is higher than you may know. I was quite suprised a few months back on our cruise when our cabin steward told us that we did not have to be physically present at the drill and that the real-time drill would be broadcast in our stateroom. I asked people on this board if they ever had this happen and many of the responses were just rude, mean and accusatory. I was called a liar and a law breaker. The fact is, a passenger is not legally compelled to attend but the ship is, by law, required to hold a drill prior to sailing. The captain and senior staff make the decision to enforce 100% attendance. In our case, the passenger manifest would have listed us as having sailed on Princess ships (this ship 4 or 5 times alone). We were not hunted down like a couple of thugs and threatened to be tossed off. Most of us are not all-knowing with regards to behind the scenes decision making. Please be respectful of other posters views.

I was quite suprised a few months back on our cruise when our cabin steward told us that we did not have to be physically present at the drill and that the real-time drill would be broadcast in our stateroom. I asked people on this board if they ever had this happen and many of the responses were just rude, mean and accusatory.

Well, far be it from me to sound rude, but I know that whenever I want the definitive word on Princess policy, I just ask my cabin steward. :rolleyes:

From a recent Patter:

General Emergency Stations

Within 24 hours of boarding the vessel, ALL PASSENGERS (emphasis in original) must attend a general emergency exercise at the designated General Emergency Station.

We might discuss whether the actual law actually requires we actually do this, but Princess' policy on this seems, um, rather clear. No matter what Stewart said about watching your TV.

Well Shepp, actually, you are wrong. The Steward WAS authorized to pass this information on to us. I contacted Princess HQ for my own peace of mind. As stated in my post, most people on this board are not all-knowing about every rule and regulation or exceptions to some. I do know that we did not break any laws and was assured by management of that as well. Hope that is definitive enough for you, and if not, oh well...

Well Shepp, actually, you are wrong. The Steward WAS authorized to pass this information on to us. I contacted Princess HQ for my own peace of mind. As stated in my post, most people on this board are not all-knowing about every rule and regulation or exceptions to some. I do know that we did not break any laws and was assured by management of that as well. Hope that is definitive enough for you, and if not, oh well...

Ah, so what the Patter said was manifestly untrue, and the line is purposely spreading disinformation. OK, I stand corrected.

Just out of curiosity, what did you do while others were attending drill? Unpack, or do something more fun? And did you ever get around to watching the drill on TV?

No, not at all Shepp. I totally agree that drills be manditory and was rather suprised when told we had a choice to attend or stay in our room and listen to it being broadcast over the PA system - not the TV (and it was so loud it would have been pointless to ignore even if we wanted to).

My original question on this board a few months ago was if anybody else had this happen and many of the responses were ignorant and rude, so as it turned out, I went to the source and got my answer - as I said before, those who think they know-it-all - well, they don't :)

It's not. It's the law that the ship has to conduct the drill.

It's company policy whether to require attendance.

Well, I certainly did not know that. I thought it was the law to attend. Not that they would haul you off to jail and you'd be featured on "Locked Up Abroad"! But I did think it was the law. Interesting.

I'm attending, nonetheless, even though I do not enjoy it and think I know everything they are going to say anyway. (Hope that's not tested next cruise!)

Felicia

I am in complete agreement, especially now that technology makes it so easy to do so.

I'd even be ok with a clause in the contract that says if you fail to attend the muster, and there is a muster level emergency, you waive your right to any damages except in cases of negligence.

HA! Those would be the people who knocked everyone else down as they rushed to be the first ones on the lifesaving boats! :p

Felicia

Based on the actual legal code, the ship just has to conduct it and make a reasonable effort to ensure viewing of the safety rules.

The new industry guidelines after concordia call for mandatory attendance or passengers should be disembarked.

Well, I certainly did not know that. I thought it was the law to attend. Not that they would haul you off to jail and you'd be featured on "Locked Up Abroad"! But I did think it was the law. Interesting.

I'm attending, nonetheless, even though I do not enjoy it and think I know everything they are going to say anyway. (Hope that's not tested next cruise!)

Felicia

Of course the crew can't take my word for it or check a list but that's my decision on how well trained I feel I am & doesn't affect anyone else but myself. How you feel that my skipping muster once in a while affects your safety is beyond me but you seem to think so. What did you learn new at your last muster? I'd almost bet you could repeat the drill word for word. :D

Until there a 100% check of all the participants I'll be considering myself doing B2B's all the time. ;)

But, HappyCruiser, if you skip muster drill, you ARE affecting others. There's no way even I, who grudgingly attend each and every one of them, can quote the drill word by word, but if it does so happen I need it, I don't want to hold up others while I impose on them in order to find out where I go, what to do, etc.

During a moment of panic, and believe me there would be panic no matter how much you attend muster drills, the info learned will help calm you down a bit.

It's like an airplane safety. I know I could repeat that word for word, but it doesn't hurt to reinforce it.

Felicia

Archived