Muster Drill

kpgibbs

Somethimes they scan them, sometimes they don't.

Noticed that too! Sometimes they miss whole sections of people at Mustar. When they ask about it, they were told they it was fine. :confused:

In our case last cruise ... they scanned his card but not mine.

Somethines they scan them, sometimes they don't.

Noticed that too! Sometimes they miss whole sections of people at Mustar. When they ask about it, they were told they it was fine. :confused:

On our March cruise, not only did they scan every card, but repeatedly asked if anyone did not have their card scaned and then scanned the cards of those who raised their hands.

After the rule changes from Concordia, this really should not be happening any more.

Feel sure there are changes now ... after Concordia. Good to hear!

We were on our last cruise while Concordia was happening. The staff and crew of Crown could not believe the Captain left his ship. That seemed to upset them more than anything.

They only use their handheld scanners to test their system & although they try to scan everyone entering the muster location, they do miss people from time to time. If they occasionally miss scanning people there is no double check to insure they've attended muster.

They only use their handheld scanners to test their system & although they try to scan everyone entering the muster location, they do miss people from time to time. If they occasionally miss scanning people there is no double check to insure they've attended muster.

Recently on the Island after the muster drill there were signs on each cabin door's handle that said "Cleared". This was something new for me & they also had them on the doors when they had a 'crew only' drill during a day in port. So things may be changing & they're beginning to enter cabins to ensure that cabins are empty. On the Sapphire & Island after the Concordia they scanned cards as we entered & walked around asking if anyone had not had it done.

Recently on the Island after the muster drill there were signs on each cabin door's handle that said "Cleared". This was something new for me & they also had them on the doors when they had a 'crew only' drill during a day in port. So things may be changing & they're beginning to enter cabins to ensure that cabins are empty.

Or just going through the procedure to put the signs out without actually checking inside the cabins.

Recently on the Island after the muster drill there were signs on each cabin door's handle that said "Cleared". This was something new for me & they also had them on the doors when they had a 'crew only' drill during a day in port. So things may be changing & they're beginning to enter cabins to ensure that cabins are empty. On the Sapphire & Island after the Concordia they scanned cards as we entered & walked around asking if anyone had not had it done.

They've been doing that for a while now but most people don't see the cards since they're removed by the time people return to the cabins.

Even though they ask if everyone's cards were scanned there's nothing done about the missing few who didn't scan in. I suppose if it were a real emergency they might check a little more thoroughly to account for all the people.

It totally depends upon how many overly important people feel that they do not need to attend "required" muster. It can sometimes take a while to track the idiots down.

DON

Read a post on this forum the other day where Someone was boasting about how clever they were to avoid muster drill. :rolleyes:

Or just going through the procedure to put the signs out without actually checking inside the cabins.

They've been doing that for a while now but most people don't see the cards since they're removed by the time people return to the cabins.

Even though they ask if everyone's cards were scanned there's nothing done about the missing few who didn't scan in. I suppose if it were a real emergency they might check a little more thoroughly to account for all the people.

That may be the case for the drill & that cabins are only checked in a true emergency. I doubt if many of us know for sure except for those who 'ditch' the muster drill & hide in their cabins. ;). Although those who are doing a b2b in the same cabin have said they have been told they're not required to attend another muster drill & would know if cabins were actually being checked.

Two years ago when we were on the Golden, they were just starting to test the scanners. We chatted with one of the crew members about the scanners and he told us they are mainly for real emergencies, to account for passengers. He said that they are able to mark the status of passengers, such as injured or deceased. I think this would be very helpful in an emergency, to get some idea of the number and severity of injuries for emergency personnel, rather than just knowing which passengers had been counted.

Two years ago when we were on the Golden, they were just starting to test the scanners.

And now they use those hand scanners when embarking and disembarking in every port. No more podium type unit to insert cards into.

Two years ago when we were on the Golden, they were just starting to test the scanners. We chatted with one of the crew members about the scanners and he told us they are mainly for real emergencies, to account for passengers. He said that they are able to mark the status of passengers, such as injured or deceased. I think this would be very helpful in an emergency, to get some idea of the number and severity of injuries for emergency personnel, rather than just knowing which passengers had been counted.

The purpose of the scanners may have changed somewhat in the wake of the Concordia disaster

Read a post on this forum the other day where Someone was boasting about how clever they were to avoid muster drill. :rolleyes:

I would like to know how they were able to avoid it. It seems like it's much easier to just grin and bear it - oh yeah and it's the law - but I get so annoyed, standing and waiting and waiting and waiting till someone gets there. I've never tried to avoid it, but I do admit because of the long wait times, I've tried to sit in a lounge for awhile before having to go outside, and I can't get away with that. Again, it seems easier to just do it. And anyway, my 2c worth is that those who thought they got away with it actually got paid a visit later. But that's just my guess.

Felicia

How long does the muster take?

BTW, I really wanted to call it MUSTARD. I have seen several posts calling it that. Cracks me up.

I always remember my daughter almost being in tears saying, "But I don't liiiiike mustard!"

On one of my cruises (I forgot if it was Princess or Celebrity), the cabin steward saw we had a bunch of little kids and just told us we could stay in our room during the drill if we wanted. :)

On one of my cruises (I forgot if it was Princess or Celebrity), the cabin steward saw we had a bunch of little kids and just told us we could stay in our room during the drill if we wanted. :)

That really is quite irresponsible. I mean, I understand that having kids at a Muster Drill is quite an inconvenience, but those few minutes could just save your life....

Especially if you've been to muster dozens of times before.

That really is quite irresponsible. I mean, I understand that having kids at a Muster Drill is quite an inconvenience, but those few minutes could just save your life....

The fear mongering that goes on in this forum never ceases to amaze me. :eyeroll:

If you let Princess know prior to cruising or the day you get onboard that your mom needs to take the elevator for the drill/& emergency situations they will note it on your profile.

I always let passengers service desk know I can't take the stairs because of a "bad" knee.

Yes, there will be places to sit or "handicap" seats, just let the Princess staff know once you enter muster station(i.e. lounge/theater) if there is not a seat, they will find one for you.

You bring your life jacket with you, but do not put it on until instructed to do so.

Your cruise card might be scanned as you enter the muster station area(this is fairly new procedure). That way they know you attended.

Thank you for the info, I had not thought to advise the crew that I could not do stairs. Last time I just struggled.

I have a Disabled friendly cabin this time, no, I don't use a wheelchair but need the easy access bathroom.

I will be taking my Blue Badge for anyone who needs proof of my disability.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I would like to know how they were able to avoid it. It seems like it's much easier to just grin and bear it - oh yeah and it's the law -

It's not. It's the law that the ship has to conduct the drill.

It's company policy whether to require attendance.

OP, it's a great question. On the Noordam last August, we stood outside in the broiling heat, young people, old people, nowhere to sit, for at least half an hour. I'm relieved to hear that Princess does not subject its passengers to that.

It's not fear mongering at all. I've been trained as a volunteer firefighter and disaster responder. It's a FACT that even basic preparedness drills save lives AND need to be repeated every so often for maximum effectiveness. Even something as simple as knowing what your Muster leader looks like (and that changes every time) can help in maintaining order.

More importantly, its been repeatedly shown that exposure to emergency procedures reduces panic levels during an actual emergency. Ever notice that the second biggest problem next to the actual emergency issue (and sometimes worse than) is the response of other passengers (on the infamous Miracle of the Hudson flight, there was one lady who refused to leave the plane without her luggage and had to be dragged off screaming - endangering not only herself but others).

Not to mention its entirely possible that something minor may have changed since the last time you did a drill.

Now, you can make the case that multiple drills within the same 2 week period or so have limited effectiveness over the first other than the value of repetition, and I will call the reasonable, although I still think multiple musters better prepare the passengers and crew.

These drills aren't scheduled and made mandatory out of some sadistic sense. Like fire drills in schools, they do them because they WORK.

In my book, anyone who can't spare an hour or so to learn or refresh the basic emergency procedures should be disembarked as a potential hazard to passengers and crew.

The fear mongering that goes on in this forum never ceases to amaze me. :eyeroll:

In my book, anyone who can't spare an hour or so to learn or refresh the basic emergency procedures should be disembarked as a potential hazard to passengers and crew.

In that case it should be mandatory that Princess accounts for the names of all passengers each & every drill. No exceptions allowed.

I am in complete agreement, especially now that technology makes it so easy to do so.

I'd even be ok with a clause in the contract that says if you fail to attend the muster, and there is a muster level emergency, you waive your right to any damages except in cases of negligence.

In that case it should be mandatory that Princess accounts for the names of all passengers each & every drill. No exceptions allowed.

I'd even be ok with a clause in the contract that says if you fail to attend the muster, and there is a muster level emergency, you waive your right to any damages except in cases of negligence.

I like that.

Archived