Celebrity drops plans for Asia in ’06

jsea

According to Seatrade Insider (registration required), Celebrity will not be sending Summit to Asia for 2006. 2007 is still a possibility.

Of interest, is that it says she will be going to Alaska... so does that mean that Celebrity had planned to send Summit to Asia for the summer?

Very interesting, if so, as summer is not the high season for Asia. Pacific Princess will have at least one more summer with no competition from other North American lines.

I, for one, am a little bummed about this development. A cruise on Summit to Asia would've been high up on my list for 2006.

I bet this has something to do with how popular the Hawaii cruises are.

Hi Eric !

According to the Seatrade article, it does indeed have something to do with it. They said bookings are strong enough, with their current itineraries, that they wanted to captilize on that, before going to Asia. They said they would also look into Asia again, possibly for 2007.

I was excited when this was mentioned on the boards a few days ago, as I am not sure just how well Asia would have done anyway, and I had hoped that maybe Summit would return to Florida for another Caribbean season. Sadly, but not unexpected, that is not the case. She will be doing (pretty much) a repeat, of what her current schedule looks like, for the following year.

However, the good news, (per several postings here) is that Constellation will be moved to Ft. Lauderdale for the 2006/2007 Winter Season, to do the 10/11 night sailings that Summit previously did. While I hoped Summit would be back, I am thrilled that Celebrity will once again have an M-Class ship, doing longer Caribbean itineraries.... out of South Florida. That is an incredible itinerary, and I hope it will always be around. It should be, based on how full Summit was, the past few seasons.

In case the folks at Celebrity read these boards, I would like to say, Thank you Celebrity, for listening to all of those who were upset. It is wonderful to know, that many spoke.... and you listened.

However, the good news, (per several postings here) is that Constellation will be moved to Ft. Lauderdale for the 2006/2007 Winter Season, to do the 10/11 night sailings that Summit previously did. While I hoped Summit would be back, I am thrilled that Celebrity will once again have an M-Class ship, doing longer Caribbean itineraries.... out of South Florida. That is an incredible itinerary, and I hope it will always be around. It should be, based on how full Summit was, the past few seasons.

In case the folks at Celebrity read these boards, I would like to say, Thank you Celebrity, for listening to all of those who were upset. It is wonderful to know, that many spoke.... and you listened.

This is very good news!! Hopefully in 2007 we will be able to finally partake in a cruise longer than 7 days. I am also thrilled that it is the Constellation. We just got off her in March, and booked for next March while on board. We just loved this ship and think that she is the best we have been on. Strangely enough, we rank Zenith right behind her!! :D

I bet this has something to do with how popular the Hawaii cruises are.

Agree. Would also bet that it has something to do with the rather limited fleet that Celebrity has available right now.

They are really going to have to do something about new ships before too very long or I think that there will be serious consequences for the brand. In this sort of competive industry, you really cannot rest on your past achievements. I personally think that opening up in Asia would have been a very good idea and prospective new market for future growth.

I also have to wonder if Marketing determined that the per diem costs of the Asian Cruises would have been too "pricey" for Celebrity's average cruiser...

and that they would generate more revenue by staying with the current itineraries which certainly seem to be popular and salable at something other than fire-sale prices.

Just a thought.

Now if they would only listen to us about the outrageous pricing that's going on with their cruises during "prime time", that would be wonderful.

Still want an M Class Ship out of NYC and not Royal Caribbean ship.......would love to do 10 day cruises out of NYC in the summer on an X M Class ship. Now that would be a dream

Anne Maria

Still want an M Class Ship out of NYC and not Royal Caribbean ship.......would love to do 10 day cruises out of NYC in the summer on an X M Class ship. Now that would be a dream

Anne Maria

I would love too!!! Price will probably be very high though.:(

Tatka,

See we wouldn't need airfare and my in-laws could drive us to the pier, therefore we could spend more money just on the cruise itself.

I priced RCCL for last summer 9 days from NYC in an inside cabin for 3 and it was $4,226 which we did think was high, but I would pay that for X.

If all the X's ships are in Europe or Alaska and only one is left doing Bermuda, than there's really not much choice but to go to another cruise line for crusing during the summer.

Anne Maria

I thought cruise on HAL Zuiderdam was somewhat comparable to X (each has own pluses/minuses)..but HAL sending her to Alaska next year too! :(

There will be a new HAL Noordam doing Caribbean sailing from NYC ..but I have no idea if she will be sailing there during the summer.

I thought cruise on HAL Zuiderdam was somewhat comparable to X (each has own pluses/minuses)..but HAL sending her to Alaska next year too! :(

There will be a new HAL Noordam doing Caribbean sailing from NYC ..but I have no idea if she will be sailing there during the summer.

Hi Tatka !

Yes, I was already planning on Zuiderdam as a replacement for Celebrity for Summer sailings. I had a good friend come off Zuiderdam last week, and had nothing but good things to say about her.

Zuiderdam will be in Ft Lauderdale this Summer, but not next Summer :(

I know Zuiderdam was "supposed" to be a Year Round ship out of Ft Lauderdale for HAL, but yet, they changed their minds on that too. Hopefully, in the future, she will be back in Ft Lauderdale year round, as it surely looks to me, that there will be WAY too many ships in Alaska and Hawaii in 2006. I will be real curious to see if they can fill them, and at good per-diems too.

We will have to wait & see what happens. I am thrilled that we will have an M-Class ship (Constellation) back in Ft Lauderdale, doing the Ultimate Caribbean. Too bad we have to wait until November of 2006. That itinerary will be VERY much missed for the next 18 months. Maybe we can hope that there is a small chance that Celebrity can accelerate these plans. I know it is not likely, but one can hope :)

Agree. Would also bet that it has something to do with the rather limited fleet that Celebrity has available right now.

They are really going to have to do something about new ships before too very long or I think that there will be serious consequences for the brand. In this sort of competive industry, you really cannot rest on your past achievements. I personally think that opening up in Asia would have been a very good idea and prospective new market for future growth.

I also have to wonder if Marketing determined that the per diem costs of the Asian Cruises would have been too "pricey" for Celebrity's average cruiser...

and that they would generate more revenue by staying with the current itineraries which certainly seem to be popular and salable at something other than fire-sale prices.

Just a thought.

Hi Ed !

I agree with everything you said.

I have said for about 18 months now, that the lack of new ships will likely come back to bite Celebrity big time, and this is yet another example, of not having enough ships in the fleet to do everything they want/hope/seek to do. I know hindsight is 20/20, but I bet they wish they had at least 2 or 3 ships in the fleet right now.

Frankly, I do think Celebrity made the right decision to keep Summit in Alaska/Hawaii/Canal for another year, and NOT send her to Asia. Bookings are Very strong with their current schedule, and it would be dangerous for them to take a ship that is a HUGE success, and put her in unknown territory. Many of us say we want to go to Asia, but I do wonder how many would actually write what would be a LARGE check to do such an itinerary.

Now, what would really make things right, is if we heard about a few more ships being ordered soon. I know the dollar is a huge problem, but sometimes, you just have to bite the bullet, and move forward. At least, if you want to take this line to the next level. Hopefully, we will hear more about that soon !

Andy, I am glad to hear that you will have a ship out of Ft. Lauderdale for the winter doing 10\11 day cruises. Now we need to work on getting you a ship there year round.

Hi Eric !

Thanks for being VERY understanding. I know you want more ships on the West Coast, and that's cool, but at least, I feel the schedule is better balanced for 2006/2007.

Yes, I really do wish we can get a year round ship here. Century would be pefect for the job, but it looks like she is going to Europe again in 2006, at least at this point she is.... but that is a long way away, and can change.

Thanks for the nice thoughts !

I do think that Celebrity needs a few more ships but that's it. One to sail the Caribbean year round and maybe two more to roam.

All of the other cruise lines are expanding at a dangerous rate. If there is another terrorist attack I guarantee there will be trouble for some cruise lines. There will not be the demand to fill up all of the ships. This will lead to a loss in revenue, which will lead to collapse.

I think celebrity is being safe in being small. I believe that the demand will still be there to fill their ships. I can not say that about other cruise lines.

I don't agree with you Andy - It would have been the better move. They have now missed the boat on securing new Ports & Itins again with such a move. They did it this year too the Century was moved to Europe far too late....

Many of us have been waiting for something new and Hawaii well that is not as safe a you all seem to think..... Don't forget there is going to be a new all american ship there as of around Juli. No more far distant ports and no more of these Ensenada bustrips.....in the end it may just not have been such a clever move.

I agree the shortage of ships has just come around to bite them ...........but then again the high Euro & steel prices are not really attractive but in the long run they may loosing longtime customers who are just tiered of doing the same cruises & start looking at other alternatives

Ok off the soap box

I'm with JSea, Moeve and MaBell - based on the earlier press release we had already planned to book a cruise on Summit in Asia for Fall 2006 as soon as the schedules were out. Now we learn that X won't have any ships in Asia and instead will concentrate on all the tried-and-true itineraries. So we're left with choosing among Princess, P&O or HAL to do a cruise in Asia unless we want to take out a second mortgage for the ultra-luxury lines. Other than South America (and the Xpeditions trips), there is nothing exotic about the options on Celebrity for the next year and a half.

While I agree that Celebrity needs to keep its foot in all the "regular" routes aimed at a US audience, i.e., Caribbean, Mexican Riviera, Alaska, Hawaii, and Europe, if it's going to grow it needs to continually offer new experiences for its loyal passenger base. And I agree with the many comments that it can only do so if it builds or acquires new ships, or does serious retrofits on its older ships. So come on, Celebrity, start building!

Meanwhile I'm studying the Princess and HAL brochures...

Thanks for the link, FLJudi, I've heard many good things about Oceania. I've also found P&O Australia and Star Cruises which both have some very interesting itineraries although I've not heard such good things about their service. And none of them have their 2006 fall/winter schedules out yet!

I don't agree with you Andy - It would have been the better move. They have now missed the boat on securing new Ports & Itins again with such a move. They did it this year too the Century was moved to Europe far too late....

Many of us have been waiting for something new and Hawaii well that is not as safe a you all seem to think..... Don't forget there is going to be a new all american ship there as of around Juli. No more far distant ports and no more of these Ensenada bustrips.....in the end it may just not have been such a clever move.

I agree the shortage of ships has just come around to bite them ...........but then again the high Euro & steel prices are not really attractive but in the long run they may loosing longtime customers who are just tiered of doing the same cruises & start looking at other alternatives

Ok off the soap box

Hi Moeve !

Interesting Post, and of course, we can all agree to disagree <smile>. Nothing wrong with being on a soapbox. We all do it at times !

I do agree with your comments about Century being moved to Europe, FAR too late this year. I feel they should have either done the redeployment to Europe several months before they did.....OR simply let Century stay in the Caribbean, but not on the longer itineraries that did not sell very well. I would have had Century do the 7 night alternating Eastern & Western Caribbean, that she has handled so well over the past few years.

I did not say that Celebrity should NOT have gone to Asia at all. However, I did say that I felt that specifically sending Summit there, would be a mistake. I strongly feel that Celebrity made the 100 % right decision not sending Summit to Asia....for now anyway. Summit apparantly, is doing well with the new Alaska/Hawaii/Panama Canal itineraries, and it would be foolish to take her away from it at this point.

If you were making big money in Your own business, you would not close up shop, to move to another neighborhood, to try something new. That sort of thinking does not make any smart business sense at all. Apparantly, Celebrity knows they have a good itinerary, that can generate some nice profits, and did not want to take Summit away from it. Let's not forget that Celebrity is a public company (via Royal Caribbean), and they have an obligation to the shareholders, to be as profitable as they feel they can be.

I did say that Celebrity should have considered sending another ship to Asia instead. Personally, I feel that a C-Class ship would have been a better choice for Asia (such as Galaxy or Mercury). Sadly, they just do not have enough ships in their fleet right now, to do ALL the things they want to do. So.... Asia was the one to go, as it was the biggest gamble.

As I have said before, if they had a few more ships in their fleet, Celebrity would not have to make these very tough decisions right now.

I feel that Celebrity should do everything they can to add a few more ships to their fleet, so that many of these problems would resolve themselves.

Let's hope we hear something about some New ships... VERY soon !

If you were making big money in Your own business, you would not close up shop, to move to another neighborhood, to try something new. That sort of thinking does not make any smart business sense at all.
It makes plenty of sense if you think you can make even bigger money 'trying something new'.

Apparantly, Celebrity knows they have a good itinerary, that can generate some nice profits, and did not want to take Summit away from it. Let's not forget that Celebrity is a public company (via Royal Caribbean), and they have an obligation to the shareholders, to be as profitable as they feel they can be.
Celebrity, in a continual assessment of future deployments, probably came to the conclusion that their original analysis which determined Summit would be more profitable in Asia was no longer accurate or as probable as they would've liked.

I did say that Celebrity should have considered sending another ship to Asia instead. Personally, I feel that a C-Class ship would have been a better choice for Asia (such as Galaxy or Mercury).
Part of the decision to send a M Class ship to Asia (I think) has to do with better engine efficiency and fuel consumption on itineraries covering large distances.

I don't think they would have filled the Summit in Asia. There are diehard cruisers that would go but I don't think they would pay enough to make it profitable. If Celebrity's smaller ships cant handle the work then they should build a small ship that can. Hay what do you know now I'm supporting the small ship argument. What a shock:eek::eek::eek:

I don't think they would have filled the Summit in Asia.
Perhaps, but Princess has been sending 2600+ passenger ships to Asia for a couple years now. It used to be the 45,000 ton Sky Princess, then the 70,000 ton Regal, the 109,000 ton Star, and now the 116,000 ton Diamond and Sapphire have been taking turns. I think it's safe to say that Princess is doing quite nicely over in Asia... unless they just enjoy sending their big ships places where they make less profit than they could elsewhere.

I meant to say at "least" we're not whining. It's true that the Princess ships that serve the area are larger than the M-Class ships and seem to be doing quite well. Celebrity obviously didn't get their ducks in line. That doesn't mean they won't in the future. I'm sure they'll do what they think is best for their business and we as customers will do what is best for ourselves.

If the prices for Caribbean sailings are not consistent with the other cruiselines sailing there, I doubt that all the "loyal" Celebrity customers will be sailing with them.

Archived