Celebrity drops plans for Asia in ’06

jsea

It's true that the Princess ships that serve the area are larger than the M-Class ships and seem to be doing quite well. Celebrity obviously didn't get their ducks in line. That doesn't mean they won't in the future. I'm sure they'll do what they think is best for their business and we as customers will do what is best for ourselves.

If the prices for Caribbean sailings are not consistent with the other cruiselines sailing there, I doubt that all the "loyal" Celebrity customers will be sailing with them.

You are so rite

What else does Seatrade indicate? --we are still waiting for new schedules to come out. We are looking for the RT trip itin that Connie does infrequently from NY or Bayonne down to Charleston, Bahamas & the Carib..as soon as that is offered again we will jump on it...

• 2 months later...

I have basically been off of the boards for a few months and am very sad to see that Celebrity has decided not to do Australia. We have always wanted to do a cruise in that area. Back when RCL did it, it didn't fit our schedule and when we saw the possibility here I was excited. DH won't sail anyone but RCL and I was hoping that he would do Celebrity on the Australia sailing. I don't think I will ever get him to try Celbrity as long as there is an RCL ship doing the same run. Darn it!

Let us not forget that thre are still potentially unresolved pod problems on the M class ships. sending them to Asia and having to cancel a few cruises like has happened with the Summit and Millenium, Connie and Infinity could be very costly.

Maybe it's time to revisit another Merger?

Let us not forget that thre are still potentially unresolved pod problems on the M class ships. sending them to Asia and having to cancel a few cruises like has happened with the Summit and Millenium, Connie and Infinity could be very costly.

Maybe it's time to revisit another Merger?

Any suggestions? The only line I could see would be MSC

MSC you must be joking!!!! If you love X then MSC is not for you! They can`t even get their act together on those fairly small ships and with those new big ships coming in the next couple of years -it could be even worse. We have tried them twice and they are no comparison to X. I wouldn`t consider them an alternative for an X ship.

Any suggestions? The only line I could see would be MSC

Nothing says that once X took them over the act would'nt change.

Small ships - hmmm ok Zenith / Horizon fans - here are your small ships.

NEW ships - if they are launched or ready to be launched - instant fleet to play games with - keep in Europe and send Century Class to Asia.

Send to the Caribbean and send M Class to Asia

All kinds of possibilities

Costa???

I would think somewhere down the line Carnival is going to want to spin off one or more brands

I wanted to do a longer cruise to "other ports" in 2006, and have been forced into choosing HAL because only Hal and Princess do the Pacific islands.

I am really tired of Alaska, or the Carribbean out of US, or flying the Atlantic both ways for the Med. cruises. We all know that flying is a pain in rear these days ( and not because of "security" but because the airlines treat us like cattle).

HAL's Jan cruise is R/T San Diego going to Hawaii, Tahita, and other exotic ports. I just wish it was possible to do this with Celebrity.

Hi Everyone !

While I am sure there a few lines Royal Caribbean could buy, to fold into Celebrity.... one that might make sense is Oceania. They have 3 ships that, while quite small, could be used as replacements for Horizon/Zenith.... OR possibly, for more exotic, upscale overseas itineraries such as Asia. This would also add to Celebrity's fleet right away, while they wait for newbuilds.

As for thoughts about buying MSC... while they could be a good fit for RCI/Celebrity.... they are VERY well capatilized. This is strictly a guess, but they are probably not looking for a buyer right now. I know some have made negative comments about their Cruises, but things like that, can certainly be changed/improved if RCI owned it.

Herman ... I dont think putting the M-Class ships in Asia is a great idea (for now), especially until they find a final resolution to the Pod problems. Can you imagine an M-Class ship having pod problems in Asia ? The down time would probably be a nightmare for Celebrity. I suspect that, and Hawaii being popular, was at least part of the reason why Summit did not wind up going there.

Just my .02 cents :)

Hi Everyone !

While I am sure there a few lines Royal Caribbean could buy, to fold into Celebrity.... one that might make sense is Oceania. They have 3 ships that, while quite small, could be used as replacements for Horizon/Zenith.... OR possibly, for more exotic, upscale overseas itineraries such as Asia. This would also add to Celebrity's fleet right away, while they wait for newbuilds.

As for thoughts about buying MSC... while they could be a good fit for RCI/Celebrity.... they are VERY well capatilized. This is strictly a guess, but they are probably not looking for a buyer right now. I know some have made negative comments about their Cruises, but things like that, can certainly be changed/improved if RCI owned it.

Herman ... I dont think putting the M-Class ships in Asia is a great idea (for now), especially until they find a final resolution to the Pod problems. Can you imagine an M-Class ship having pod problems in Asia ? The down time would probably be a nightmare for Celebrity. I suspect that, and Hawaii being popular, was at least part of the reason why Summit did not wind up going there.

Just my .02 cents :)

I believe I said that a few posts back when I thought that was a reason for not doing Asia - ie unresolved pod problems. I was throwing out random thoughts as to what Royal Caribbean/Celebrity could do IF it had a few extra ships in the mix. OF COURSE what ever they do someone is going to be unhappy.

My point was even if they sign to build a new ship today - you are looking at what 1 1/2 - 2 years to deliver. If you buy a another line - potentially six months and you have inventory to play with.

I don't think the question is so much identity or characteristic - because I think thats where Carnival is going to get their clock cleaned too many brands and they are "Carnivalizing" Princess and HAL as I hear it - but rather having inventory to play with - Panamax, small ships, Asia etc.

Asia was nixed because the numbers and logistics just didn't work out, not because of pods. That little tidbit from our Key Account manager.

Oh... there are many shipyards in Asia which could accommodate an M-class vessel in pod distress.

Archived