Beach Wedding - Mahogony Bay?

graymadeb

My girlfriend is planning on getting married on a beach next year off a Carnival ship that is stopping at Mahogony Bay.

Anyone have any experience with the beaches? Is there is a easy-to-get-to beach - near where we get off the ship/tender?

She is just planning to have the wedding party and guests get off the ship - meet on the beach together and get hitched!

Any advise is appreciated!

Hi Debbie - I saw your post on the Belize thread and the posters gave you good info on the beach or lack thereof in Belize. Not sure what ports your friend is going to, ship she will be on and time of year but she needs to be aware that the ship sometimes does not make port in both Roatan and Grand Cayman which can make weddings stressful. I saw someone posted that Cozumel was pricey but if her itinerary includes Cozumel it might be a safer bet and they have lots of experience with weddings. I guess it comes down to if she likes control or is a flexible kind of person. With any port wedding I would have a plan B in mind, just in case. Has she thought about a beach wedding in Florida followed by embarking on the cruise?

BTW - My daughter had a ship wedding on embarkation day and it was great! Then we all went on her honeymoon with her ;).

You might also take a look at Anthony's Key over in Sandy Bay. It's be a much more scenic locale than Mahogany Bay's beach. And they've done weddings there.

http://www.anthonyskey.com/en/index.html

You'll have to get transportation there, but I think they'll help you find it. Several local tour guides might have rates as well. Victor Bodden, Chris, Rony, et. al. You can read and get contact info on them from this board.

Edited by crewsweeper

• 4 years later...
Hey. Just wondered how this went? We are doing (i think) the same cruise and torn between Mahogany Bay and Cozumel. Totally panicking about missing port as we sail in October this year...

When in October? October is still in the midst of Hurricane Season (which doesn't end until December 1, officially but storms don't follow official dates). Big risk on missing ports. And then maybe not. I understand how beach weddings look cool and seem like a great idea. But there are plenty of planning risks and costs involved. You can't just pop up at a beach and say "I Do" and be done.

If possible, do it on the ship, or do it before and then if you make your ports, Go celebrate at a beach in each one.

When in October? October is still in the midst of Hurricane Season (which doesn't end until December 1, officially but storms don't follow official dates). Big risk on missing ports. And then maybe not. I understand how beach weddings look cool and seem like a great idea. But there are plenty of planning risks and costs involved. You can't just pop up at a beach and say "I Do" and be done.

If possible, do it on the ship, or do it before and then if you make your ports, Go celebrate at a beach in each one.

30th September from Orlando. So we are at Mahogany Bay 4th October. We really don't want a celebration, we want to get married. We are taking two children to whom it will be a surprise. We are going to arrange it all through Carnival either way.

How was the weather for your friend ??

We were in Roatan via the Carnival Breeze -- left Sept 25th and was there September 29th. Weather was perfect as perfect can be.

Fantastic. Carnival are saying we can't marry there which is crazy since they commissioned the build?!

Fantastic. Carnival are saying we can't marry there which is crazy since they commissioned the build?!

There are a lot of hoops to jump through when doing an "official wedding" in a foreign country. I think Roatan may have even more requirements than Cozumel, possibly a residency requirement that the cruise ship can't fulfill? In any case as Crew pointed out Carnival ships often cannot dock there even if there isn't a hurricane, more so than Coxen Hole.

Anyway since you are from U.K. I would double check the requirements even for Cozumel since Carnival wedding section is probably more familiar with US requirements. For example, does their fee cover the legal requirements for getting the license - bloodwork and translation of documents etc, or is that up to you? Can you use a NHS Doctor, or will you have to pay for US or Mexican?

There are many hoops to jump through just be sure you know who is responsible for taking care of what.